Is Facebook Required for a good social life?
Yes
1.8% (6)
1.8% (6)
No
84.8% (279)
84.8% (279)
Maybe
4.6% (15)
4.6% (15)
In some situations
8.5% (28)
8.5% (28)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Are you unsociable if you don't have Facebook?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

I entered an argument with my friend, who believes that Facebook is essential for a good social life. He thinks that if you don't have Facebook, you're considered antisocial. His opinion is backed up by those of my relatives and other friends as well.

I personally do not have a Facebook because I hate every aspect of it, and I don't think that it's required for a good social life.

So, what's the opinion of my fellow escapists?

Your friend is dumb.
There's so many ways to be sociable nowadays, facebook is just one of many. Chances are, if someone doesn't have facebook, they at least have a phone, or a forum account, or just regular friends, anything.

That's pretty stupid. Facebook is useful for keeping in touch and organising events, but it's by no means necessary. I you're just taking something stupid a couple of people said to you as a widely regarded belief, even though I think you know it's really not.

Is there something about this time of year and these sorts of threads? There seem to be more than usual.

Last i checked i have a mobile phone which my friends contact me on.

Sure they badger me to get facebook but i can't be arsed with it to much hastle and i couldn't give a shit if you took a picture of your roast dinner and posted it

Or your attention seeking by changing your status to "fine" or the classy "..."

I don't care about your politcal stand point or that your car broke down.

You know i kinda like talking to people face to face to find out what's going on in their lives, if you know everything that's going on with someone via their facebook what do you talk about when you're with them.

Poll question is different from thread question. Facebook is not required for a satisfying social life, but if you don't have one you're probably unsociable.

No, you're just a better person who doesn't care about pseudo-friends!

Of course it's not essential, but having a strong presence on Facebook sure wouldn't do your social life any harm.

I've thought about deleating my Facebook account.
All its taught me is before facebook and the Internet in general,people went out of their way to stay connected to the people they valued.
I'm in that age bracket that saw enough of life pre-internet to wonder what all the fuss is about.

Not only is it not essential, I'd even call it unnecessary. The number of people that rely on it makes me sad.

ITT: People without a Facebook account bash it.

OP, Facebook is at least as important to having a solid social life in this day and age as having a phone is. It's more important than having an e-mail account (at least beyond the fact that you need one to sign up for it). Between the group features, the IM, the messaging, the calendar, and the event planner, it's quite possibly the best tool for keeping up a social life ever invented. Are there shallow people on there who post pointless stuff? Yes. Is that any different from the real world? Not really. It's pretty easy to tell who your real friends are, who your acquaintances are, and who you only have on there for purposes of networking in the yuppie sense. Losing one of the better ways of communicating and planning things with your real friends just to avoid the other two groups is kind of silly, isn't it?

Edit: Also, I agree with the guy who said the poll asks a different question than the thread does. It's not required for a social life, but not having an accound can be a pretty good sign that you're not interested in having one, or at the very least that you're not very sociable.

In the past i have met popular, social people who dont even own a mobile phone.
facebook makes you feel social but in reality you are just reading peoples posts, but still sitting in your home in front of a computer.

I'm unsociable and I have facebook

so....BAM disproved

its useful I supose if you have a social life in the first place..but I'm sure some manage without it

also people most meaningless mundane crap on FB because they build an identity, they wan't people to know who they are, what they like...

but I never post anything on Fb because I figure "well no one cares" *sigh*

About five years ago - the era when pretty much all of the world was antisocial. Yeah, somehow I think your friend may be a tad wrong. Well, not entirely - if a person is social and likes that sort of stuff, they'll most probably have a Facebook account, since it helps them in that regard. Then again, a lack of Fb is not really a exactly sign of introversion. Maybe a clue or a hint but not a sign. In this day and age, it's a bit uncommon to say "I don't have a Facebook account", that's all. Even your mother probably has one, heck my father does and he's not really into that sort of thing at all. There usually is some compelling reason not to have an account, the most obvious one[1] is that you don't like social media, hence social stuff in general.

[1] If it's the most likely one is entirely another question, though. And the answer is probably "no".

Facebook is crap why would want give one reason why I should get it

I certainly need it to stay social.

Whenever my friends organize something, it is far easier for them to tell me so on Facebook.

It's the one reason why I haven't deleted my account. It's a site full of idiots and stupid contests, that sells your personal details and photos to the highest bidder.

Because there was no such thing as a good social life before Facebook.

Don't having Facebook does not make you anti-social. But it certainly does make it easier to organize and plan with friends. No more phoning around, no more trying to reach everyone, if they are on FB you send them an invite and later on you can reach out to them if you have the feeling they missed it.

When I planed my birthday it was always a hazzle to get to everyone, now I just start an invite in FB and phone the two-three that don't have it and whom I don't see daily.

5ilver:
Not only is it not essential, I'd even call it unnecessary. The number of people that rely on it makes me sad.

This pretty much.

Come to think of it facebook "friends" are more like "acquaintances" usually. It's good for networking.

Whitbane:

I call bull, not having a Facebook account doesn't make you a better person, just as having a Facebook account doesn't make you a better person either. It's just a tool for keeping in communication with people, it's easily possible to have a great social life without one but as others have said, in this day and age not having one generally is a sign that one isn't that sociable.

This may only be an andecote but I only know one person aged from 13 to 25 who doesn't have a FB account and I'm literally one of their two friends who they see, ever. Heck, even my Granny has Facebook, even if she doesn't use it much. It's useful for organising events, keeping in touch with people who live far away. If you don't like it then good for you but I don't think it should be anything to be proud of.

I'm anti-social and I don't have a Facebook account...-Oooh, so that's why~.

Anyway, I'd say Facebook isn't required for a social life, but a social life is required for Facebook. And seeing as I have none, I see no reason to be on Facebook. Especially when I'm already here on the Escapist. ;)

JoJo:

Whitbane:

I call bull, not having a Facebook account doesn't make you a better person, just as having a Facebook account doesn't make you a better person either. It's just a tool for keeping in communication with people, it's easily possible to have a great social life without one but as others have said, in this day and age not having one generally is a sign that one isn't that sociable.

This may only be an andecote but I only know one person aged from 13 to 25 who doesn't have a FB account and I'm literally one of their two friends who they see, ever. Heck, even my Granny has Facebook, even if she doesn't use it much. It's useful for organising events, keeping in touch with people who live far away. If you don't like it then good for you but I don't think it should be anything to be proud of.

I was just being sarcastic at the fact that we are judging a person by whether or not they are signed up to a social media site. It's a bit absurd.

You don't need facebook to be social however I should let other people explain as I don't use facebook and I am actually anti-social.

Owyn_Merrilin:
ITT: People without a Facebook account bash it.

OP, Facebook is at least as important to having a solid social life in this day and age as having a phone is. It's more important than having an e-mail account (at least beyond the fact that you need one to sign up for it). Between the group features, the IM, the messaging, the calendar, and the event planner, it's quite possibly the best tool for keeping up a social life ever invented. Are there shallow people on there who post pointless stuff? Yes. Is that any different from the real world? Not really. It's pretty easy to tell who your real friends are, who your acquaintances are, and who you only have on there for purposes of networking in the yuppie sense. Losing one of the better ways of communicating and planning things with your real friends just to avoid the other two groups is kind of silly, isn't it?

Edit: Also, I agree with the guy who said the poll asks a different question than the thread does. It's not required for a social life, but not having an accound can be a pretty good sign that you're not interested in having one, or at the very least that you're not very sociable.

Pretty much this. Facebook isn't necessary, but it's damn useful. Especially for trying to organise anything.

people give you this weird look if you dont have facebook, like they honestly cant understand what you are saying. if you mention you dont have a mobile phone.. yeah thats a whole different category of dumbfounded

Whitbane:

JoJo:

Whitbane:

I was just being sarcastic at the fact that we are judging a person by whether or not they are signed up to a social media site. It's a bit absurd.

Okay, sorry if I sounded a bit harsh, sarcasm isn't easy to spot online >.>

The only reason I sometimes use Facebook is to chat with my mates who are at uni or to talk to some guys I used to go to school with. It's also useful to set up events etc but its not necessary, so no it's not unsociable.
The problem is, people are good at turning a good idea into something pretty stupid. people start using it for pointless reasons. No, I dont care what your eating for dinner..no I don't care if somebody is being a bitch to you, why are you posting this for the world to see. People are odd.

Some of the friendliest people I know don't use Facebook. They use phones.

If anything, talking on the phone is much more sociable than keeping in contact via some text based comments.

But it sure makes it easier for me, as a relatively shy and quiet person (who hates talking on the phone) to stay in contact and arrange activities.

Some would argue that Facebook can make you MORE anti-social. If you make Facebook your main method of communication with people over say, phone calls or personal meetings, then I'd say that you are being less social as a result of it.

I use FB for a few purposes, but mainly to keep in touch with old friends and also keep my family up to date on stuff, as we rarely see each other since I live a decent distance away from the majority of them. I used to use it as a soapbox but I quickly realized I was opening myself up for more negativity than anything else so I quickly stopped that practice. I do find it good for organizing events, as now I don't have to mail out dozens of invitations and wait for RSVPs and track down people who don't get back to me. A lot easier to just view accepts and declines and things like that.

TL;DR: No because by that logic half of my family is unsociable when they're really just computer illiterate.

Your friend is silly really. You don't need facebook to have a social life, facebook isn't an essential part of a social life. Besides, some people have such annoying facebook status's that it makes me want to hit them. I do have a facebook, which only gets checked a couple of times a day for 30 seconds. If I need someone I will call them, text them or talk to them on skype

It is good that Zuckenberg, our savior, sent by the gods themselves, came to this planet and gave us Facebook, thus redeeming us from centuries of being utterly unsociable.

Actually, don't believe a word of what I just said - I mean I surely didn't send anyone anywhere.

But I for one don't care about quasi-friends, nor do I care about how many people would lol at a photo of me passing out drunk, truly, I wouldn't even understand why I'd do such a thing in the first place.

So yeah I was kind of sad when Anonymous claimed they'd take down FB, because I knew they weren't going to. Which is sad.

I have a facebook so I can ignore people in real life and on the internet.

Nope. I'm extremely sociable, in my opinion. I have a rather large of friends, even more acquaintances and a few close friends, with two best friends. Would it make things easier? It might. But social networking has never been something that would benefit me personally. People tend to make a big deal about certain things that they see or feel strongly towards. If I were to use Facebook in the way I wanted to, it would definitely cause conflict in someway or another. I also have had enough stalkers in my life, so there's that + side too. :D

Facebook, when it comes to socializing, is not different than email, texts, phones, etc. It is a tool for facilitating social interaction, but far from the be all end all of socializing. If anything, it may be the least personal of all of those options. Though when you get right down to it, Facebook is nothing more than a web forum with a different design layout which caught on with the masses.

Facebook is by no means the only way to be sociable, it's just currently the most popular way - if you're not naturally sociable it can certainly help but it's by no means necessary.

Here's a real life situation that happened to me. The girl I'm having the conversation with will be in Bold

"Hey, Girl, I haven't talked to you for a while! How have you been?!"

"Oh, the same. Are you on face book? I keep pretty up to date with it."

"Well, yeah, I made a page a few years back, but that was just because of a wedding I was apart of. I don't use it."

"Do so! It's the best way to keep in contact! You can find out all about what's going in my life! If you go there now, we can be all caught up!"

"But we're on the phone... now... talking..."

"It'll be easier!!

I've literally kept track of how many times I had this variant of this conversation. 12 times. 12 fucking times. I could run into someone at a party, wedding, or whatever and I suggest we keep in contact. To me, that means phone or email or instant messenger. Where I'm actually interacting with a person on a one on one basis. I don't know why keeping an online diary for people to read is somehow more social... it seems a little conceited.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked