What gets you up in the mornings?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

By which I mean, how the hell do people actually manage to get out of bed when they need to? See, I've just moved to university, and back home I had my dad to drag me up when I needed to be awake. Here, though, I've only got myself to get me up, and I CAN'T DO IT. I mean, seriously. It sounds stupid, but it's a legitimate problem since I keep missing lectures and stuff and I just have no idea how to sort it out.
So, dear Escapists, how do you wake up and get up when you need to?

The most bullshit, annoying alarm you can possibly conceive, which will not stop until your ass is out of bed. Personally, I use the dial-up tone. Could always just head off to bed early (Huehuehuehuehue).

Showers and coffee work too!

Place your alarm away from your bed, so you physically have to get out of bed just to shut it off. Always worked for me and I'd consider myself quite punctual.

bojackx:
Place your alarm away from your bed, so you physically have to get out of bed just to shut it off. Always worked for me and I'd consider myself quite punctual.

Meh, I've doe that and then I've sleepwalked to it and turned it off. The impressive thing is that I even scattered some stuff on the floor so I would most likely trip, or at least need to manure really good (for just getting out of bed, that is) and I somehow managed it.

What I do nowadays, is just play something on my phone in the morning. It keeps me from going back to sleep. Usually it's Spider Solitaire but I guess Minesweeper or something similar would also work. The trick is to keep you engaged but not really take too much of your time. Alternatively, you can, like, check your email or Twitter feed or a website or whatever, if you prefer that.

my mum on school morning and my self on weekends and holiday I love getting up early
see I'm morning and evening person I just don't like daylight hours when everyone's up

I've had trouble with this too, its a difficult thing to master.

There is an app called Sleep Cycles, which is an alarm that tries to wake you up at the top of your sleep cycle, making it easier to just get up. Its not perfect, but I find it works better than a normal alarm.

Set multiple alarms, and have one that is across your room go off about 15 minutes after your first. Hopefully the first one will wake you up enough to stop you from sleepwalking to get your other one.

If all else fails, I think they sell alarm clocks(or there may be an app) that forces you to complete a math problem, or something similar, before it shuts off. Just like the game, it gets your mind working a bit.

The thought of my conscription being extended thanks to sleeping in usually gets me up before my alarm even goes off. Before that I did use multiple alarms. Eventually my brain just started waking me up before it went off.

If it still doesn't work, you could get one of those mechanical alarm beds that tip you out of them when you smack that snooze button.

bojackx:

This. Totally this. But to avoid DoPo's problem put it somewhere hard to reach, like behind something.

Between an obnoxious alarm tone and a TV to hide it behind I'm pretty good. Though don't set it to something you like or might hear out, because it does make you feel uncomfortable.

Honestly, it's just a good habit you have to pick up.

Forget putting your alarm clock in weird places or whatever. That shit never works. Just get up. You're tired? No one gives a fuck. Get up, turn on the TV and get dressed.

I have my phone alarm go off 20 minutes before i actually get up, and then vibrate 10 minutes after that, and again after that.

bojackx:

I do this purely because the only plug sockets are above my desk.
Although I don't have any problems getting up.

But now I can't make a semi-witty alarm clock joke.

Right now, my mother.
She opens the curtains, and they are right next to my bed, so light shines in my face, and I have to get up then.
Also, I'm usually hungry.

Replace your alarm clock with a timed bomb that starts beeping with 2 minutes to spare.
At least that's how I've done it.

Four alarms on my cell phone, with the last (and the most effective) tone being a combination of train crossing ringing, screaming and shattering glass sounds. Gives me an incentive to get up early, so I don't have to suffer through it.

But by far the most effective thing to wake you up in the morning is a good reason to wake up.

I usually put on two or even a third alarm on my phone to get myself up. Usually the first two I'm still a little groggy, but by the third I'll at least manage to get myself up. But honestly though?

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
Honestly, it's just a good habit you have to pick up.

Forget putting your alarm clock in weird places or whatever. That shit never works. Just get up. You're tired? No one gives a fuck. Get up, turn on the TV and get dressed.

This guy's got the best advice. The more you do it on your own accord the easier it gets. Just gotta suck it up and remember that you're still getting up later than a few unfortunate grave yard shift people out there.

Blind panic as I realize I slept longer than I wanted.

Also, moving the alarm clock doesn't work. I just get up, shut it off, and go back to my bed.

However the mind chooses, could sleep for more than 12h straight through alarm clocks and people trying to wake me or simply get up after some 4-3h sleep.
Though it has a lot to do with habits plus the day and night cycle, however the latter has the most effect if the former is in order. Being a light or heavy sleeper also factors in to some degree.

Also, here is this little bit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZfQiDrs8bc

SanAndreasSmoke:
Replace your alarm clock with a timed bomb that starts beeping with 2 minutes to spare.
At least that's how I've done it.

What? No doomsdays device?
Frankly i'm disappointed in you.

OT : A phone that plays stairway to heaven and is lost some place in my bedroom, gets me up every day.

It's personal motivation. A rather heartless thing to say, but hopefully something bad will come of your missing lectures/half the day, something bad enough that the thought of continuing to oversleep becomes completely disgusting to you. I nearly got kicked off my course in my first year at Uni for missing my 9:00am seminars, and the idea that I would have to give up Uni simply because I fancied a couple more minutes in bed cured me of the problem instantly.

You'll reach a breaking point, and suddenly it won't be a problem. Uni is all about adjusting to a new way of living. You'll get there.

A little, yappy dog that will shit on my carpet floor if I don't take him out. But god dammit I love the little bastard.

Go through some basic military training. I still feel the threat of more PT, less food and even less sleep when I have something to do when I get up.

Not that I get up in the morning currently, but weird hours can be even harder to get used to...

Failing that, I'd go with the really loud alarm clock that's across the room from your bed.

my circadian rhythm gets me up in the morning.

The realization that once Im up...there is breakfast...I love breakfast.

Just messed up your sleeping pattern but from the sound you're a heavy sleeper? (I'm more of a light headed sleeper as it seen I'm more alert to sound when I sleeped.)

Coffee.

And if that doesn't work, More coffee.

Also I wake up about an hour earlier than I need to so I can game a bit before work. That's often the only opportunity I get in a day, so it's a good motivator.

I remind myself that if I miss class, I will probably stack up absences, fail out of college, be in debt, my family will probably be disappointed in me, I will probably avoid them at all costs and just flee randomly and become homeless.
I just do. I feel like I wish I could just die every morning (I am new to Uni as well, but I always feel this way) but I force myself. I usually feel better once I hit the shower.

Two ways to approach this: physically and mentally.

Physically, loads of stuff to do as has been suggested above. See if something works for you, dunno if it's in there somewhere but making it so you actually have to think a bit before you can turn off your alarm might wake you up enough. :p
I'm a personal fan of setting my alarm clock a few minutes (up to 30) ahead; that way, when I wake up and forgot I set it ahead, I'll be shocked as in "OMFGIMLATE!" And then...."ooooh, right." Sweet bliss and you're awake because of that shock. =D

On a more mental note: Smashlovestitanquest had a pretty basic, down-to-earth statement: practise, practise and then some moar.

Also handy: something to actually get up for. Why are you living your life? Why are you doing what you do? Find your reason to live another day and see how easy it can get to get out of bed.
(....ignore the mental-coaching-cliche; it was not intended :p)

4 clocks.

All digital though... I can't stand the infernal ticking noise of analogue clocks.

A good thing to do is not sleep all night, so that the next day you're completely exhausted. Try to endure 'till 22:00, so that you can easily fall asleep at that time and settle into a more appropriate sleeping cycle.

Multiple clocks, set at different intervals, scattered around the room. The first, to gently rouse me, within reach. The second, to summon me once more to the land of the waking, placed across the room. Used to have a third that required me to open a drawer and find it but I choose to replace it with a nice, warm and lengthy shower. (Burn Mother Earth Burn) ^^

Oh, and tea, cinnamon tea. Can't go wrong with a cup of tea. ^^

Either I missed all the erection jokes or you guys have become oooooold.

Anyway, I have a radio clock next to my bed that I can actually turn off in my sleep so I pretty much have to use my mobile phone's multiple alarm settings while storing it somewhere in the room where I have to get up to turn it off. Trouble is, when I've turned it off I always think I can just have a short lie down for a few minutes to wake up properly and bam, 1h later.

Well I have to go to work, so the realization that if I am late too many times they'll fire my ass and I'll be jobless in this job market gets me up. I find heading straight to the shower works best.

I have to be up at 7am to be at work at 8 and while that doesn't seem that early, my god it can be a struggle.
I used to do night shift and didn't have to start till 2pm so I would just wake up whenever, but now I have to set an alarm. I can't put it within arms reach of my bed other wise i'll just keep hitting snooze, so I've got an incredibly annoying alarm on my phone which is on the other side of my room so I have to get up to turn it off, now I just need to work on not sitting down at my computer when I wake up....I should really get ready for work right now...

I just have an alarm which I have to get out of bed to turn off. Simple solution, & has stopped me from being late for anything in the morning for years.

I have a bad habit of grabbing my phone, shutting off the alarm when it starts ringing, saying to myself "just 5 more mins and I'll get up for sure", and then waking up 1 hour later screaming "FUCK FUCK FUCK" as I rush straight into the bathroom and try to do everything at once.

Yeah I have issues :(

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or