What gets you up in the mornings?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

canadamus_prime:
I'd suggest getting one of those old fashioned alarm clocks with the bells and stuff. Good luck sleeping through that.

I have one of those but I stopped using it because I would sleep through it if I was really tired, most of the time it would wake me up straight away as its pretty damn loud but most of the time isnt good enough I find my phone alarm or the annoying digital beeps to be better for waking me up.

I tend to get up quite early most days i.e 3:30am or 4:30am and then lie in on weekends the only thing that will get you up in the end is willpower I suggest establishing a routine and sticking by it something I need to do at the moment (not for getting up but getting more stuff done).

Oh and sounds simple but try and get more than 3 hours sleep a night seriously trying to concentrate on something after 3 days or so of that is not good its ok for work and stuff but not for study.

These days I dont really need an alarm although I still set it as long as you tell yourself you will be up at such and such a time and check the clock before you go to sleep usually you will wake up unless you really are exhausted or dont give a shit what time you surface.

There are PC-Alarms that bott up your PC at the specified time and can be linked to any soundfile you want, so just blare some Slayer and you should be up in no time

I take it your from Halifax?

Seriously not that Hard to get up, just get a coffee maker with an internal setting and get addicted to caffeine.

I managed to sleep right trough my own alarms for the past couple of years, only thing that wakes me (when I have to gett up early) is my own mom who yells at me anyway.

I have a cell phone alarm. Up loud with a cringe-worthy alarm.
I must set it far from my bed, otherwise I will shut it off in my sleep.
I did just that this morning. Luckily, there are no consequences if I show up late to work.

Also, if my girl spends the night, I never want to get out of bed in the morning.
It becomes physically impossible =P

get roommates, considerate ones, not the jackasses.

dimensional:

canadamus_prime:
I'd suggest getting one of those old fashioned alarm clocks with the bells and stuff. Good luck sleeping through that.

I have one of those but I stopped using it because I would sleep through it if I was really tired, most of the time it would wake me up straight away as its pretty damn loud but most of the time isnt good enough I find my phone alarm or the annoying digital beeps to be better for waking me up.

How the hell can you sleep through that??? Those things are not just loud, but shockingly loud, like someone banging on a pot right next to your head.

canadamus_prime:

dimensional:

canadamus_prime:

How the hell can you sleep through that??? Those things are not just loud, but shockingly loud, like someone banging on a pot right next to your head.

I found a way seriously I dont know how usually it would make me jump out of bed due to how much noise the damn thing made but I must have got used to it I think the problem is it dosent last that long so maybe subconsciously I thought if I ignore it it will go away unlike say my phone alarm which loops and doesnt shut up until I shut it up.

I gave up using it after being late for work on 3 separate occasions due to sleeping through it. but those times I did sleep through it I was really tired but it still failed in its job to rouse me something my phone alarm has yet to do.

dimensional:

canadamus_prime:

dimensional:

I found a way seriously I dont know how usually it would make me jump out of bed due to how much noise the damn thing made but I must have got used to it I think the problem is it dosent last that long so maybe subconsciously I thought if I ignore it it will go away unlike say my phone alarm which loops and doesnt shut up until I shut it up.

I gave up using it after being late for work on 3 separate occasions due to sleeping through it. but those times I did sleep through it I was really tired but it still failed in its job to rouse me something my phone alarm has yet to do.

Are we talking about the same type of alarm clock? 'Cause I thought those things kept ringing until you shut them off.

First is a pair of cat whiskers at around 5am because my cat wants to go out and murder things
A couple hours later is a loud alarm clock which I placed on top of my wardrobe so I have to walk up and shut it off due to previous placements failing me because of my addiction to "More Sleep"

My brave little old fashioned bell alarm clock. Every day cept thursday, the ringing goes at half past 5 in the morning, waking me up for college. That brave little alarm clock risks injury every time from my sleepy attempts to stay asleep via clock-violence but sure enough, I get up.

canadamus_prime:
*snip*
Are we talking about the same type of alarm clock? 'Cause I thought those things kept ringing until you shut them off.

Dont know im on about the old ones you had to wind up the alarm on and it had two bells on top that were hit by a hammer in between sounded like a fire alarm when went off but of course it wouldnt last much longer than a minute as it would have wound down then.

Which ones you on about?

dimensional:

canadamus_prime:
*snip*

Dont know im on about the old ones you had to wind up the alarm on and it had two bells on top that were hit by a hammer in between sounded like a fire alarm when went off but of course it wouldnt last much longer than a minute as it would have wound down then.

Which ones you on about?

Oh, I guess we are talking about the same alarm clock. I didn't know they'd do that as I've never actually had one, I just assumed.

How about a stimulant? I set up my coffee maker before I go to bed so I can simply turn it on when I'm groggy and lazy.

I set two alarms. One in my room which I set an hour before I need to wake up, so I can wake up, start coffee then take a nap. The other alarm is set an hour later in a different room, so I have to get up to turn it off, and then I can grab a cup of brewed coffee. After that and a shower, I'm ready to go.

Above all it takes willpower. I always want to go back to bed, but I know if I tough out the first ten minutes I'll be happy I didn't waste any more of my day.

Obligation is the best alarm clock I've ever had.

Strazdas:
You can here to study, not to drink. if you came here to drink GTFO of university.

I don't drink, where did drinking come into it?! But yeah, I know I came here to study, that's why I'm trying to actually make my life more productive :)

There is an alarm clock that donates money from your bank account to a political organization that you hate everytime you hit the snooze button... that would wake me up pretty damn fast!

Also, didnt MIT develop an alarm clock that runs away and hides when you hit the snooze?

I have over 15 alarms on my phone, it vibrates and I have an alarm clock that is so loud it wakes up the entire house. Generally try and be up by 5 so I can get out the door by 10 to 8...

snappydog:

Strazdas:
You can here to study, not to drink. if you came here to drink GTFO of university.

I don't drink, where did drinking come into it?! But yeah, I know I came here to study, that's why I'm trying to actually make my life more productive :)

this was a precautionary disclaimer to cover the "but i had a party last night" excuse. If you dont drink all the better to you. So no problems with going to sleep at the right time then?

vrbtny:

OT : A phone that plays stairway to heaven and is lost some place in my bedroom, gets me up every day.

I'd just air guitar in bed and fall asleep.

I usually wake up in anticipation of my alarm. Less so while I've been rehabing my back, but that's usually because I'm worn down due to pain. Conditioning's important.

Lt._nefarious:
I have over 15 alarms on my phone, it vibrates and I have an alarm clock that is so loud it wakes up the entire house. Generally try and be up by 5 so I can get out the door by 10 to 8...

I need a louder alarm. I usually wake up before my alarm clock, but when I'm sick or down, my alarm's a joke. Daredevil would have trouble waking up to it.

Decent amount of sleep. It's tiredness that keeps you in bed.

I'm a light sleeper and I startle easily. I almost don't need an alarm. I get that most people can't help but sleep late if given the opportunity but if I need to be up at 5AM, I'll set the alarm for 5 but actually wake up at 4:55. I've always been that way. Maybe it's the idea of the annoyance of the alarm combined with my need for privacy in a house full of people that wire my brain to function on its own clock. There's an idea - room up with someone who hates noise. The fear of retribution might change your sleeping habits.

Parents. Loud noises and conversations might wake me up, but alarms will not. You have to make some sort of effort to wake me up all the time.

What gets me up is a nice bottle of Jack.

To help Topic: If you set your alarm far away from you, so you have to physically get up to get it helps a lot for me. Then once you are, stay standing, and move around a bit, that'll get your blood flowing, and that'll help.

Impatience, I can't stand just laying there in bed 'sleeping in'. Nope, gotta get up, no time for that shit. My body clock is well rigged to wake me up consistently every morning at 7-8 am, sometimes an hour or two later if I had a late night, but even if I stayed up until 5am or something I will always wake up before 10am.

If its really a huge problem for you just buy an alarm clock, if you are finding that you hit the snooze button or just turn it off and go back to sleep then set the alarm clock in a position across the room so you actually have to get out of bed to turn it off. If that doesn't work then have someone wake you up every morning, telling them they can do "whatever is necessary" to wake you up, if they are creative enough you will have plenty of motivation to get up on time.

I'm sure you would be able to get a program for your computer that plays a song at a set alarm time. Just set it to blast Justin Bieber or One Direction or something, should get you sprinting to turn it off.

Also, this is pretty obvious but make sure you are getting 8 hours of sleep every night and go to bed at a reasonably consistent time (within an hour) on weeknights.

Strazdas:
[quote="snappydog" post="18.394128.15968012"]
this was a precautionary disclaimer to cover the "but i had a party last night" excuse. If you dont drink all the better to you. So no problems with going to sleep at the right time then?

Aha. Yeah, no, I don't party and I don't drink, so I always get to bed on time.

My bedroom is painted in a sky-blue color, this way I can fool my brain into thinking the time is about midday. It might be a placebo effect, but it seems to work for me.

Well, generally thoughts of naked women su-
Oh, wait, you meant the other kind of up in the morning, sorry.

I go to Uni myself, and given that I'm nearly always drowsy as fuck getting up no-matter what kind of night's sleep I've had, I've got a neat little system going:
1) Set alarm nearby for 3 hours before first lecture.
2) Wake up on alarm, and set alarm for 20 minutes later. Relax.
3) When that goes off, go for 15. Relax.
4) Then 10. Relax.
5) Then 5. Relax.
6) By that point, you should be awake, with two hours to get your ass out of the bed and ready.

So long as I don't fuck up with the alarm setting, it works like a charm for me. I guess you can have another alarm far away set for 2 hours before your first lecture if you don't trust yourself, but hey, your choice.
Also, decent night's sleep. And yes, doing that in uni is like doing it in a lion cave in the savanna, but hey, it helps if you can do it.

Get a small dog that's capable of jumping on your bed and licking your face for food in the morning.

That'll wake ya up.

Wake up as late as possible, then frantically try to get ready and not be late to work. Since I don't sleep much I wash my face in cold water 5 times then slap on some makeup and run out of the house.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked