6.3% (19)
6.3% (19)
Es-KAY-pist
93.1% (283)
93.1% (283)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: How do YOU pronounce Escapist?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I've been wondering this since a friend told me I was weird for pronouncing it with emphasis on the first syllable: 'ESS-kah-pist'. Oddly, he's quite happy to refer to Houdini as an 'ess-kah-pist' while stoically maintaining that this website is the 'es-KAY-pist'. So how do y'all pronounce it? And, because I suspect accent may have something to do with this, where are you from? My friend and I are both Englishmen of the Englandshire.

I pronounce it Es-kah-pist, and I'm from the U.S.

It's Es-kay-pist. Because you don't escahp reality, you escape it. It's not escahpism, it's escapism. Why would it be the escahpist? Besides, hasn't someone said it allowed in one of the videos at some point? Or the podcast? Seems like there's too much audio content from the site for this to be a debate.

Edit: Forgot to mention where I'm from, it's the US. Specifically Florida.

My friends at work who see me browsing ask if i've been on "The Rapist" recently, i love my friends sometimes.

The Es-Kay-Pist

Britoneion

I pronounce it "That bloody forum wi all funny videos fo games an tha".

I'm from Yorkshire.

But if I were to go into southern translation mode it'd be ESS-kay-pist. Because of escaping from reality and all that.

Zantos:

I'm from Yorkshire.

But if I were to go into southern translation mode it'd be ESS-kay-pist. Because of escaping from reality and all that.

Does tha'ave yh flat cap on whils' tha' does it?

OT: ESS kay pist, cause us Yorkshire folk talk proper!

ze eeees-kh*plegm*-opp-eest

you have to pronounce the first "ee" sound longer than the second ee, and the "K" sound has to be very harsh and plegmy.

Definitely "Es-KAY-pist". I've never heard anyone pronounce the word escape as "ess-kahp".

To each their own, I guess. I'm interested to see what the poll will look like after 20+ responses.

From what I understand, the Ess-kah-pist pronounciation refers to escape artists like Houdini, while "Es-kay-pist" refers to someone indulging in the act of escapism, i.e. escaping reality.

I pronounce it "eh-SKAY-pist", because it's the right pronunciation. :P Don't just take my word for it, though--the Oxford freaking English Dictionary says /ɪˈskeɪpɪst/ (where eɪ is pronounced like the "ay" in "bay").

As I think other people have said, es-kay-pist. Es-kah-pist is an escape artist.

Zantos:

putowtin:

*spills tea* Good grief! *supercilious sniff* What are you people speaking?! *adjusts monocle* You're in England, dear fellows, ENGLAND!! ;P

OT: I think the whole Houdini pronunciation of 'ES-ka-pist' or 'es-KAA-pist' is to do with it being a portmanteau of 'escape artist', or something like that.

Anyway, this being to do with, y'know, being an 'escape' and 'escapism' and all, I pronounce it the correct way ('es-KE'I-pist')... -_-

putowtin:

Zantos:

I'm from Yorkshire.

Never tek it off, me whippet'll av off wi it if I leave it art.

SckizoBoy:

Zantos:

putowtin:

*spills tea* Good grief! *supercilious sniff* What are you people speaking?! *adjusts monocle* You're in England, dear fellows, ENGLAND!! ;P

OT: I think the whole Houdini pronunciation of 'ES-ka-pist' or 'es-KAA-pist' is to do with it being a portmanteau of 'escape artist', or something like that.

Anyway, this being to do with, y'know, being an 'escape' and 'escapism' and all, I pronounce it the correct way ('es-KE'I-pist')... -_-

We don't complain when you southern lot talk. Maybe a few jeers about being posh, but apart from that we don't complain when you start adding extra 'r's that don't exist. I think it's just laziness, you know other cultures will adapt for you so you don't need to do anything. I hate southerners so much.

Zantos:

putowtin:

Zantos:

I'm from Yorkshire.

Gud Lad!

Zantos:

SckizoBoy:

Zantos:

putowtin:

We don't complain when you southern lot talk. Maybe a few jeers about being posh, but apart from that we don't complain when you start adding extra 'r's that don't exist. I think it's just laziness, you know other cultures will adapt for you so you don't need to do anything. I hate southerners so much.

Crums! Tha North/South divide's started up, ont Eskapist' n all!

putowtin:

Set beacon fires guin, we best all get t Sheffield fer Lord Bean's orders. Quick, best hop a tracky bus!

I call it Escapada Magazina (in some sort of mix between a Spanish and Italian accent), because it's fun to say and sounds cool.

Or just es-KAY-pist at all other times.

USA

Inconspicuous Trenchcoat:
I call it Escapada Magazina (in some sort of mix between a Spanish and Italian accent), because it's fun to say and sounds cool.

Or just es-KAY-pist at all other times.

USA

That might just be one of the most fun things to say ever. I love you for introducing me to that.

Anyways, I'm a 'murkan and I say say it as "uh-SKAY-pist".

Any pronunciation other than "Es-kay-pist" is wrong.

It's pronounced es-Kay-pist, y'know, to go with escapism. Last time I checked 'escape' was pronounced the same way both sides of the pond.

Ess-kah-pist sounds like a religious splinter group.

Es-KAY-pist. Yeah, I'm a stickler for grammar and pronounciation. I'm near DC, if that helps clear a few things up.

I believe it's pronounced "eskaypist," but I'm also pretty sure Houdini was an "eskahpologist."

Let's see

Can't remember exact other videos where people pronounce the name. But it's always been es-KAY-pist. Your friend can say whatever they like, though. Well, they'll still be wrong but whatever.

Es-KAY-pist. Why? As an escapist, I look for ways to ESCAPE everyday life, therefore thats the only correct pronunciation.
Anything else is wrong or a sign of a troll or gasbag ego hipster wannabe. No offense.

Born and bred in South Florida, United States, studied proper enunciation for acting.

Owyn_Merrilin:
It's Es-kay-pist. Because you don't escahp reality, you escape it. It's not escahpism, it's escapism. Why would it be the escahpist? Besides, hasn't someone said it allowed in one of the videos at some point? Or the podcast? Seems like there's too much audio content from the site for this to be a debate.

Edit: Forgot to mention where I'm from, it's the US. Specifically Florida.

I'm from Tallahassee, and I have to agree with you. Though I tend to pronounce it more X-Cape-ist.

I figured it was a reference to the escapism people seek when they play video games, but what do I know.

Wait people pronounce Escapist another way than ESS-KAY-PIST?

captcha: kill time. That's why I'm here captcha

Eh? Es-kah-pist is a thing? I, being from South UK, pronounce it Es-kay-pist although the K is closer to a g making it "Ehz-(k/g)ahy-pissed"

I can actually do you one better and provide a voice clip

http://vocaroo.com/i/s179DqTZHaog

and an old-ish thread I made where you can listen to some other posters pronounce it (there's a few posters dotted around saying it. Somewhere amongst all the Lovecraft reading, Poe reading, singing, questioning of my motives and rampant paranoia that is :) )

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.392848-Open-mic-night-What-do-you-sound-like

Zantos:

And that's the way it should be! *affects air of superiority* Oh, for the good old days of 1950's BBC announcements. Now, they spoke English! XD[1]

putowtin:

*wonders where Brummies fit in all this!*

[1] Y'know, the irony is that I'm not even English!

Zantos:

putowtin:

Zantos:

I'm from Yorkshire.

And they say it's us American's that are butchering the English language.

OT: Es-kay-pist. The way it's supposed to be.

wintercoat:

Zantos:

putowtin:

And they say it's us American's that are butchering the English language.

OT: Es-kay-pist. The way it's supposed to be.

Our dialect is older than your country. You're only doing it to increase your scrabble scores.

EEEEE'cc -Kai - peest.

Say "escape".
Now say "ist".

There is no other way to pronounce it... I think you misinterpreted the meaning of the word if you pronounce it otherwise.

Didn't even know there were several ways to pronounce it. It has always seemed quite obvious to me that you take the word escape and tack on ist at the end. From Sweden btw.

"Ess-kayp-ist". Like "escapism", as in turning to games and other media to escape from the real world. "Escape-ist". I think it makes the most sense, unless you pronounce "escape" "ess-cahp" instead of "escape".

This reminds me of that one scene from Finding Nemo where Dory reads "escape" as "ess-cahp-ay", like "escapé".

I pronounce it esˇcapeˇist.

EDIT: As a side note, who gives a shit how you pronounce it as long as we all know that we're talking about the same thing?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked