33.1% (47)
Other.
4.9% (7)
4.9% (7)
Unsure.
14.1% (20)
14.1% (20)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: One of those contrived ethical dilemmas.

Pages PREV 1 2

On the other hand, finally knowing the truth could put their mind at ease no matter how painful it might be.

Tell the truth, none of my loved ones like to be coddled so why lie? If the situation were reversed I'd damn well want a straight answer.

Only the truth will set you free.

But seriously, these kind of abstract things are pretty pointless. There is no context. Context is everything. Context is the real world. Leave abstract to the classroom.

It depends greatly on the person who is dieing and what they are asking of me to tell them. If it is my best friend or one of my group of best friends I think i'l try to be as honest as possible.

Not sure really.

The truth no matter how horrible it is, they have the right to have their final hours to lament/ be prepare his/ her final thoughts.

truth. for one, you don't -know- it'll cause them distress, you -believe- it'll cause them distress. if they want the truth, then give them the truth. it would be insulting and cruel to shrug off their last request for your own selfish reasons. however, as the truth was a sensitive matter, i would naturally deliver it in the least harmful conveyance possible.

If they're young then I'll probably lie, but if they're an adult I think they can handle a harsh truth. They might even appreciate the honesty.

Would rather live a beautiful lie, than a stark, painful truth.
Goes for me, I suppose it would help them pass I guess.
Wouldn't stop me feeling like shit afterwards for doing it, but still.

Dying loved one - "Did- Did you leave the lights on when you left, did you? Please, tell me you didn't... Hrrk!"
Me - "Of course not..."

Of course, I don't think there's anything I could be asked that would cause someone who was slowly dying much distress...

Lt._nefarious:

Of course, I don't think there's anything I could be asked that would cause someone who was slowly dying much distress...

How about if your dying loved one was in a car accident along with their daughter and the question was "Is xxxx alright?"

True answer "No she's dead"
Lie "She's going to be OK"

Lie, easily. I think honesty is one of the biggest virtues out there, but if this literally doesn't affect anything other than the person dying in peace or not, it's not even close. I'm not enough of a self-righteous asshole.

The Event:

Lt._nefarious:

How about if your dying loved one was in a car accident along with their daughter and the question was "Is xxxx alright?"

True answer "No she's dead"
Lie "She's going to be OK"

If that was the case my answer would be: "Um... Well, she's not not dead... If it's any help, I put her out of her misery... On that note, since I assume you don't want to be dying painfully in the middle of no where for hours does this smell like chloroform to you?"

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked