What do you think of "#FirstWorldProblems"?
Legitimate, well-off people complain too much
36% (149)
36% (149)
Not Legitimate, people should be able to complain
63.5% (263)
63.5% (263)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: "First World Problems"

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

So I was trying to launch Guild Wars 2 the other day, and because I run a custom widescreen resolution, it wouldn't launch, I tried again and again, but it wouldn't work until I reset my monitor to a "normal" res of 1920x1080. Apparently Arenanet have changed their FoV in GW2 which makes custom resolutions a bit hit or miss.

When I mentioned that to a guildmate I got the response "lol, that's such a first world problem"

And isn't that the point? I live in the first world, am I now not allowed to complain about anything because it gets immediately compared to a starving kid somewhere else? Are problems no longer valid unless they're equivalent to famine and war (and pestilence and death and chaos)

Well apparently, in gaming we see it all the time

"I paid 60/99 bucks for this game and it doesn't run at 60fps on my system"

'That's a first world problem dude, deal with it'

"[Absolutely not bioware] promised us so much and delivered none of it!"

'First world problem dude, deal with it'

Come on, people -_-

Anyway! /rant, what do you think of "first world problems" as a response to complaints?

Sometimes it is funny but at other times it feels a little condescending. Just because our problems are not as large as others doesn't make them not problems just less important issues. If you are only ever allowed to have problems if yours are worse than everyone elses than only one person in the whole world is allowed to complain at any one time. There is always someone with worse problems than yours.

I think some are reasonable and some are not.

ResonanceSD:

This isn't something you should complain about.
60 is fantastic, 30+ is good enough, if you wanted it to run better then just lower the graphic settings or get a better computer. There are ways to solve this problem and complaining isn't one of them

ResonanceSD:

A more reasonable dilemma
You were tricked basically, fair enough to complain about this.

So really it depends on the "problem" that decides whether or not it's a "valid" problem.

People complain too much. That's all there really is to it.

There are legitimate complaints and illegit complaints.

And many...MANY people seem to miss out on which is which.

boils down to the fact that people today are extreme orientated. by that i mean things are either the worst thing that ever happened in existence or the best thing ever ! so whenever a small thing happen that inconviences them they tend to react way overboard

Well, we do have some rather petty issues, but just because people are starving in Africa doesn't lessen your issues at all. We should be grateful for what we have, but that doesn't mean we don't have a right to complain when there's a problem.

Iunno seems like the new popular phrase to say . It's annoyig a fuck, but just wait for the fad to kick in . What i hate though is people that take stuff from the internet and say them in real life . I first person to say that to me in real life gets slapped and i will say " did that hurt? At least you didn't lose a limb , first world problems".

ResonanceSD:
So I was trying to launch Guild Wars 2 the other day, and because I run a custom widescreen resolution, it wouldn't launch, I tried again and again, but it wouldn't work until I reset my monitor to a "normal" res of 1920x1080. Apparently Arenanet have changed their FoV in GW2 which makes custom resolutions a bit hit or miss.

When I mentioned that to a guildmate I got the response "lol, that's such a first world problem"

And isn't that the point? I live in the first world, am I now not allowed to complain about anything because it gets immediately compared to a starving kid somewhere else? Are problems no longer valid unless they're equivalent to famine and war (and pestilence and death and chaos)

Well apparently, in gaming we see it all the time

Come on, people -_-

Anyway! /rant, what do you think of "first world problems" as a response to complaints?

I would not consider those First World Problems.

First World Problems involve the culture of dependency, poverty of the mind, the lack of fulfillment and other issues which are at the heart of the Underclass and effect everyone else.

What it really comes down to is that fact that people can afford most, if not all of the perks of modern life , but still consider themselves poor and in need of help. The reasons behind why some can have an iphone, a wireless connection and other amenities, but be labels poor by society and they themselves wanting to be labelled such for "free" government handouts is the pressing matter.

The work of Theodore Dalrymple goes into detail about this.

Reminds me of this comic:

You can always take the mature road and tell them their face is a first world problem.

FalloutJack:

can I get that handbook which describes which are which? because you seem to have one.

As I've seen it, a "First World Problem" is the verbal equivilant of "Making a mountain out of a molehill."

Okay, Guild Wars 2 doesn't function very well on custom resolutions. Is that a mark against the game at all? Is any reasonable human being going to consider that any kind of negative issue? To me, a First World Problem is someone complaining about the tiniest and pettiest of things when compared to the Big Picture. First World Problem is not someone complaining. It's someone complaining too much.

Even though some people don't like to admit it, people in North America complain way more than they ought to. Gamer culture seems to be particularly guilty of this. I've seen a lot of pathetic whining about the tiniest of things. There really are people who treat every single minor inconvience as some sort of violation to their rights as a human being.

Whether it's gamers crying their eyes out because a game ended in a way they didn't like and calling it a consumer rights violation, or certain people in real life screaming about gay marriage being some kind of violation of the sanctity of marriage (a thing that doesn't even exist), or someone on the web screaming about the Prequel Trilogy being some kind of travesty, these kind of people deserve the outright dismissal that "First World Problems" conveys.

Sometimes a complaint is a valid complaint. Sometimes a complaint is unnecessary. Sometimes the complainer needs to get over it and move on to something that matters. Not every complaint is a valid one.

The problem with online mass communication, is that it is easy to exaggerate a comment or a thread that you see somewhere, into a mass of agressively whiny people.

For example you see a 30 page long argument about the Mass Effect 3 ending being unpopular, so you think "Wow, these people spend all their day screaming at their monitor and whining as if their annoyances would be more important than the brewing war in the Middle-East!!!"

Because you take a few short forum posts, and exaggerate each of them into a whole person, such as "That guy who keeps ranting about the Mass Effect ending", as if that would be all he is noteworthy for.

You don't imagine him as a random guy with a job, a family, and a variety of hobbies and interests, who happened to be slightly interested about the issue so he casually threw his 2 cents into the thread, but as the cardboard caricature of an angry nerd, as a machie that's only purpose is to post that angry comment online about Mass Effect.

Just think about when was the last time you accused someone of acting "obsessively" about an issue in the Internet. Whether the claim was aimed at a fandom, at a hatedom, at a cultural group, or any other concept, unless you were following the same individual for a long period of time and tracking his series of several single-themed posts, probably that "obsessiveness" was just someone who was once disagreeing with you on the internet, and using allcaps or hyperboles for emphasis, just like you did, and then forgetting about it next day, just as you did.

People saying "first world problem" is itself a first world problem most of the time.

Yeah, it's dismissive and condescending, but if your problem is just a frustration, fair enough.

It's it's a serious problem, even if it's not as bad as serious as some of the problems faced by some of the people in the third world, then I don't blame you for being pissed off about it.

Bhaalspawn:

Okay, Guild Wars 2 doesn't function very well on custom resolutions. Is that a mark against the game at all? Is any reasonable human being going to consider that any kind of negative issue?

Umm, yes, If a game is so badly optimized that it fails to even run on my high-end PC until I figure out that I have to reset my monitor resolution (of all things), that's a pretty big flaw for any reasonable human being.

It is a bit ridiculous to complain about these things, but don't let that stop you, just have fun with it. Your buddies must be using it wrong, it's not that you can't complain it's just funny how some people complain about relatively minor irks. It's an observation not an argument basically.

Anyway, I've run out of lemon slices to put in with my cup of earl grey. #firstworldproblems

I also like how this thread is effectively a first world problem.

Entitled:

Bhaalspawn:

Okay, Guild Wars 2 doesn't function very well on custom resolutions. Is that a mark against the game at all? Is any reasonable human being going to consider that any kind of negative issue?

Umm, yes, If a game is so badly optimized that it fails to even run on my high-end PC until I figure out that I have to reset my monitor resolution (of all things), that's a pretty big flaw for any reasonable human being.

At least it functions on standard resolutions, unlike the Unreal or Source engines where changing the screen resolution is a roll of the dice between working and crashing to the desktop.

If a game works on a 1280x720, or 1920x1080 resolution, what's the issue? What kind of custom resolution for a widescreen monitor goes beyond the standard 16:9 screen format? If you absolutely must have the game run at a higher resolution than the literal definition of High Definition, you really need to rethink your priorities.

I see too many people like you around gamer culture. Those who think that a game HAS to run at 60fps on max settings at the most insane resolution possible or it's complete shit. Speaking as someone who lowers game settings to Medium to achieve 50-60fps on modern games, it's not a deal breaker. Stop being so damn picky.

Altorin:

FalloutJack:

can I get that handbook which describes which are which? because you seem to have one.

That would be hard to do since I haven't written it yet.

However, it can be boiled very heavily down to the core, by which I state that in complaints, there must be consistancy. The volume of the complaint should be in proper proportion to the problem at hand. A 'first world problem' should therefore range no further than from murmur to normal irritated tone. At no point should it ever be loud enough to sound as though it were a crisis, as it is no such thing. On the other hand, murder should be considered loud by anyone's standards in complaint, as it is a viable emergency and worth noting with urgency.

This concludes our somewhat snarky description of the proper behaviors involving complaint.

Oh, bugger all. Now I've double-posted by accident. Note please the minor irritation in which I report this issue.

I find that the phrase "First World Problems" is more applicable based on how someone in complaining than what they are actually complaining about. For example, people declaring a game the worst game ever over some niggling little detail, going to extremes over something that is actually pretty petty or irrelevant. Beastro explained it pretty well. The way in which someone can be regarded, by themselves and others, as "poor" when they can't afford an iphone, that's when the phrase First World Problems is applicable.

Bhaalspawn:

I see too many people like you around gamer culture. Those who think that a game HAS to run at 60fps on max settings at the most insane resolution possible or it's complete shit. Speaking as someone who lowers game settings to Medium to achieve 50-60fps on modern games, it's not a deal breaker. Stop being so damn picky.

I have a 1920x1080 monitor, I just like my games to run at first try, or at least sign what to do if there is a problem. Because I'm so Entitled.

Please read the OP.

ResonanceSD:
So I was trying to launch Guild Wars 2 the other day, and because I run a custom widescreen resolution, it wouldn't launch, I tried again and again, but it wouldn't work until I reset my monitor to a "normal" res of 1920x1080.

I think video game forums are a appropriate place to complain about such problem and such complaints are legitimate, irrespective of what is happening in other parts of the world.

If complaining about such a problem can be easily dismissed because there are less fortunate people facing real problems in other parts of the world, then the very forum dedicated to that luxury pastime and the method in which people dismissed those problems are just as irrelevant, rendering the entire conversation pointless.

Petitioning the United Nations Development Programme for funds because Microsoft don't have previews of gamerpics on the X-Box Live Marketplace and you erroneously spent 80MSP on the wrong pic from which you are denied a refund, is inappropriate.

Complaining about the same problem on a forum dedicated to video games is, while a bit whiny and inconsequential in the grand scheme of things, an appropriate topic of conversation for such a forum.

I'd even go as far to suggest that people talking about the suffering of others on a video game forum should just as easily be dismissed as "Third World problems" and irrelevant to the luxury hobby that we all enjoy.

People like to complain.
People like to complain about complaining people.
People like to complain about the other people's complaining of their complaints.
People need to lighten up.

One day we will all be complaining about our robot slaves that just aren't good enough.

Complain all you want, just make sure to know when and who to do it to.

What makes someone a douche is not the nature of the complaint, but when said complaint is leveled in a situation where there are worse things going on.

Example: Complaining about how bad you have it now that City of Heroes is gone... To someone who lost his home to a fire.

It's a pretty meaningless fucking statement, and that's putting it lightly. With that sort of thinking, no problems are legitimate unless you are literally being torn apart by rats and are sick with poleo, small-pox, TB, prostate cancer, breast cancer, Lobstein syndrome and erectile dysfunction simultaneously.

No, there being bigger problems in the world doesn't mean all others are illegitimate. It's a ludicrous statement at best.

Complaints are inherent to our nature. Complaining is what helps us advance socially, technologically, economically, politically, etc. Isolating problems and trying to work around them, solve them, adapt ourselves to specific situations is why we're on top of the food chain.

So yes, I do agree that everyone has a right to complain about pretty much anything.

Having said that, you don't make a trip to Uganda, visit a local village, and complain that they don't have X or Y. As long as you recognize that most people in the world have it worse than you, and you're sensible to their cause, then yea, first world problems can be legitimately complained about too.

The term itself cameto existence though people complaining about nothing. as everything it was blow out of proportion in the internetza legimate example of first world problems would be that a 16 year old faield at her first puppy love and it resulted in deaths oh hundreds of people "Because she was pissed off". and yes this really happened. The new age movies show a lot of this, stupid peopel complain for stupidest reason. worst thing is, these movies try to claim those are legiamte problems....

I can't really answer that poll...

On the one hand, a problem is a problem. Is the fact that I need to refresh Youtube every 20 minutes or so threatening my survival? No, but it's still annoying.

On the other hand, yes, people complain too much.

"First world problems" is internet slang for "I have nothing meaningful to contribute to this thread but would still like to see my post count go up."

It's a tad annoying but I see where it's coming from. Going "OH MY GOD I HAVE NOTHING TO EAT!" with a fridge full of food just not what you're hungry for at that very moment is a first world problem.

Do you have the right to bitch about it? Sure, even I do all the time. Doesn't make it any less of a minor problem in the grand scheme of things when people are starving and would eat practically anything to stay alive.

It's a pretty ignorant statement. It perpetuates the sterotype that every country that is not in Europe or North America is a warzone where everyone everywhere is starving and dying and living in huts. Most people on Earth do the same routines we do every day. Go to work, hang with friends, etc. They have the same problems our societies do, they just have them worse.

The idea that complaining about CoD is a pretty small problem isn't stupid. The idea that this doesn't happen in Pakistan or Nigeria is.

Pro tip: Anyone that says "omg thats such a first world problem" or the like you can safely write off as a retard.

Just because a person is in the first world, doesn't mean that a problem isn't a problem, and you are not clever for drooling on yourself going "Hur first world problemz." Sure its not a problem as much as not having water if you live in shit-hole-country-x, but it is still a problem.

(Note: I am not calling any escapists retards, thats an editorial you)

In my opinion this problem isn't worth talking about, and the comment "lol, that's such a first world problem" is stupid. You already know it is a problem and the response is "lol, that's a problem!" thank you captain obvious. Did you ask them if a parrot is playing their character for them?

"I am so hungry...but I am so warm in my bed that has an electric blanket"
That Resonance...is my life...

OT: People can complain about what they want, just because our problems aren't big, doesn't mean they aren't problems, resolve them like you would a normal problem.

Err, I always thought that "first world problems" referred to people making an enormously big deal out of trivial shit.

Like someone spilling soda all over themselves and then declaring that their whole life is ruined and that they might as well just drop dead.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked