What do you think of "#FirstWorldProblems"?
Legitimate, well-off people complain too much
36.5% (151)
36.5% (151)
Not Legitimate, people should be able to complain
63.5% (263)
63.5% (263)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: "First World Problems"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

#FWP CAN be a valid response.

But it depends on what the problem is, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, HOW the person communicates it.

ex:
"X game won't run in widescreen and the settings keep messing up! What do I do?" (#FWP not valid)

"UGH my stupid resolution is messed up! Did they even test this?! FML!" (FWP valid)

"OMGTHISISHITMY!@#$INGRESOLUTIONISALL!@#$EDUPANDTHEDEVELOPERSARE!@#$INGMORONS!" (#FWP Valid and not even enough)

As you can see, communication is everything. If you're complaining and seeking a fix, or are merely stating your displeasure in a reasonable way, FWP should not apply. If you're being a whiny bitch about it (especially if it's a small problem), then "lol, first world problem" is a perfectly valid comment.

I suppose those who voted nope just refuse to accept the fact that our very existence is a slap across the face of the majority of Earth's population.
And it's not a phrase to be used specifically when BioWare does something lame.

I would have voted `both`.
Just cause their complaints are petty doesn't make them not-complaints.
Which also doesn't make them not-petty.

In short, I don't believe that only the worst-off people can complain, but I also believe better off people should realise when they are just being whiney.

Altorin:

FalloutJack:
People complain too much. That's all there really is to it.

There are legitimate complaints and illegit complaints.

And many...MANY people seem to miss out on which is which.

can I get that handbook which describes which are which? because you seem to have one.

I'm guessing he engages his brain to be able to differentiate between the two, its really not hard. You should try it! =P

Bhaalspawn:

Speaking as someone who lowers game settings to Medium to achieve 50-60fps on modern games, it's not a deal breaker. Stop being so damn picky.

Speaking as someone who doesn't have to due to the hardware inside my computer, I'd like developers to stop being so damn lazy.

Aw shucks for a second I hoped this would be a thread where we come up with first world problems that actually suck. My entry would've been: "Parent richest kids in the world, they don't take care of you when you're old but instead leave you to rot in a nursing home."

ResonanceSD:

Bhaalspawn:

Speaking as someone who lowers game settings to Medium to achieve 50-60fps on modern games, it's not a deal breaker. Stop being so damn picky.

Speaking as someone who doesn't have to due to the hardware inside my computer, I'd like developers to stop being so damn lazy.

Speaking as someone who has friends in the software industry, I'd like people to stop calling developers lazy.

As I've heard the phrase used, it is idiotic. If you have a problem, you should take the necessary steps in order to fix it. Sometimes those necessary steps involve complaining about the problem.

Ex: Your game doesn't work at a certain resolution? Maybe someone on the form knows how to solve it, so you ask. If people are dismissing your problem as a "first world problem" then they've probably never had the same problem as you and should be ignored.

Further, just because someone, somewhere, has it worse off, does not mean you shouldn't complain. Human advancement is based on finding problems to fix and fixing them, and if we hold off on identifying problems until everyone is satisfied, then we begin to stagnate.

Meaning of Karma:
Err, I always thought that "first world problems" referred to people making an enormously big deal out of trivial shit.

Like someone spilling soda all over themselves and then declaring that their whole life is ruined and that they might as well just drop dead.

This sort of behavior is irritating, but people can overreact to problems of any scale. To label it as something only people in the first world do is misleading.

Perspective is important, but pain is pain, frustration is frustration, anyone telling you how you should feel or worse, that your emotions are illegitimate, is a bitter asshole who should be punched in the face by Cpt. Falcon every time they open their mouth until they learn their fucking lesson. If Cpt. Falcon is unavailable, feel free to do it yourself.

Also, anyone who has the balls to say that first world problems can legitimately be used should either shut their hypocritical faces, or donate every single luxury they have to the less fortunate. You're argument comparing others to starving people in the 3rd world is invalid when you type it on a $1000 computer while paying $50 a month for internet, on a website dedicated to one of the most expensive hobbies on Earth.

tl;dr
SHUT YOUR PIE-HOLE AND TAKE YOUR HYPOCRITICAL JUDGMENTS ELSEWHERE, CRETIN.

aegix drakan:
#FWP CAN be a valid response.

But it depends on what the problem is, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, HOW the person communicates it.

ex:
"X game won't run in widescreen and the settings keep messing up! What do I do?" (#FWP not valid)

"UGH my stupid resolution is messed up! Did they even test this?! FML!" (FWP valid)

"OMGTHISISHITMY!@#$INGRESOLUTIONISALL!@#$EDUPANDTHEDEVELOPERSARE!@#$INGMORONS!" (#FWP Valid and not even enough)

As you can see, communication is everything. If you're complaining and seeking a fix, or are merely stating your displeasure in a reasonable way, FWP should not apply. If you're being a whiny bitch about it (especially if it's a small problem), then "lol, first world problem" is a perfectly valid comment.

I disagree. The way you communicate the problem doesn't affect the severity of it. And that is where the criteria for if FWP applies matters.

"I got a flat tire on the highway today, was nearly run over a few times and had to wait 3 hours for AAA to get there" That's not really FWP worthy, because that does legitimately suck, regardless of the starving boy elsewhere in the world.

But something like "eww they put tomatoes on my taco bell"... I could see FWP being used. It's still a prick statement to use because of what others have said (the whole "starving boy doesn't invalidate my concerns" arguement, which is completely valid), but sometimes complaints that are this petty/insignificant do deserve the occasional prick statement.

Sure, everybody can complain. But it's all relative. Everything is.

Example: Of course, a new game running subpar on your 1337-pwnage-rig can tick you off, and that's your right. You paid good money for that rig, didn't you?

Then somehow you contract AIDS. You know, from sucking on a cup of roadside diner coffee or wiping too much / not enough after using a public restroom, the specifics don't really matter.

Then, all of a sudden the importance of your fps count seems to gradually slide off to the background for a bit. That's life. Where you decide what's important to you, not us.

DugMachine:
It's a tad annoying but I see where it's coming from. Going "OH MY GOD I HAVE NOTHING TO EAT!" with a fridge full of food just not what you're hungry for at that very moment is a first world problem.

Do you have the right to bitch about it? Sure, even I do all the time. Doesn't make it any less of a minor problem in the grand scheme of things when people are starving and would eat practically anything to stay alive.

Yeah, but do people really need to make like you're the devil because you are complaining about it? I mean, I'm not going to interrupt someone's story of how their house burned down with "WHATEVER MAN, I NEED MY LATTE RIGHT NOW!!!"

I think the internetizens who go "first world problem" any time someone complains about something relatively minor are just trying to delude themselves into thinking they aren't massive hypocrites.

I feel that every human has a right to complain, some moreso then others. Poor people who can barely scrounge up enough cash for rent and food; they have the most right to complain in the first world.

No, people do have problems.

That said, there are big problems, there are little problems.

If someone has a mental disorder and is having some sort of episode as a result, that is a big issue.

If your Guild Wars 2 isn't working, its fine to go "fucking hell" but its not really a big problem.

But basically I'm not going to tell a depressed friend that they need to get over it because some person half a world away is suffering.

whether you want to call it a first-world problem or not, a problem is a problem. You see stress does not care about the country you live in or the wealth you have, it will effect everybody. Problems are relative to one's life. What seems like a minor problem to one person could be a major problem for another.

Problems may also be relative to the area, or a more specific connection like a community or culture. Social stress is a huge problem even in First-world countries. These little annoyances can build up to be huge problems for ANYONE. whether they came from a tough place or not, these problems could get to anyone.

Now it also depends on what type of problem we're really talking about here. Say for instance, a child didn't get the game he wanted for Christmas so he throws a fit. Okay, that's a minor problem, it will blow over and that's that. But if the problem didn't cause much trouble than it's just a minor problem to begin with. That same kid could still have other problems that are significant to them and their life. Say maybe that kid gets beat up in school for the way he dresses. Sounds stupid, what a strange problem to occur because of fashion, but not that uncommon. The smallest trivial things can cause problems and what ever your social class, you'll always have stress to deal with.

A better example might be a rich man complaining about the difficulties of finding a good driver. May sound stupid to us non-rich people who have to walk, take the bus, or drive ourselves around but if WE we in that position, we might agree, it's an annoying problem that would effect our daily lives. Of course, still a minor problem and im sure even the rich man would agree with that. Point being, our problems aren't all that different, the minor things continue to be minor and the major may take different shapes but are still big problems that would effect any body in that position.

even after 3 paragraphs i dont feel like i explained myself well enough... oh well.

ResonanceSD:

Bhaalspawn:

They're not lazy. They're just not catering to every single fucking variable inside a computer. If you have to lower your screen resolution, boo fucking hoo. Making video games is very very difficult. So shut up and quit whining.

Bhaalspawn:

They're not lazy. They're just not catering to every single fucking variable inside a computer. If you have to lower your screen resolution, boo fucking hoo. Making video games is very very difficult. So shut up and quit whining.

3440x1920 worked.

Arenanet updated their product

3440x1920 stopped working.

If a multimillion dollar company can't test things before releasing them which actually prevents me from launching their product, I'll whine all I like, thanks.

They just sent out a survey for feedback relating to performance/lag/bugs.

The survey link is broken.

Am I going to be yelled at for mentioning that too?

you have the right to complain about whatever you want, just like people have the right to make fun of you for complaining over trivial matters. but in the situation you describe, it seems like your guild mate was just being a douche. the first world problem thing as i understand it, is usually meant for people who make their trivial problems seem like the end of the world. like "i wanted to listen to music but my phone battery is low and now im going to bore the WHOLE ride home!" you, on the other hand, were just bringing up a technical thing that was annoying you

ResonanceSD:

Bhaalspawn:

3440x1920 worked.

Arenanet updated their product

3440x1920 stopped working.

If a multimillion dollar company can't test things before releasing them which actually prevents me from launching their product, I'll whine all I like, thanks.

They just sent out a survey for feedback relating to performance/lag/bugs.

The survey link is broken.

Am I going to be yelled at for mentioning that too?

While you may have the right to complain about whatever you want, I also have the right to call someone out when they are behaving like an idiot. Who in the name of hell needs a 3440x1920 screen resolution? There does come a point where you're going to break the game with your own custom settings.

Does the developer really have to tape a sign to the front saying "Lower your screen resolution to a technical standard, dumbass"

You might have some credibility, if gamer culture wasn't currently in the habit of declaring every single minor issue with a game as some kind of laziness on the part of a developer. Unless you've made a game yourself, you don't get to call anyone in the industry lazy.

If your game isn't running on your sky-high resolution...

Just because there's children dying in other countries and having to work for peanuts, doesn't invalidate any problem you have.
Obviously it's sad what happens in third world countries, but people can't keep comparing the two and making out we don't have the right to complain.
I suppose it's how people react. Maybe you're annoyed and rightfully so. Then you get people who are like "I spilled my Starbucks coffee all over my Louis Vitton bag! FML!! FML! My life is horrible! May as well be dead!"

I agree some people just make me want to rip my hair out, usually the ones that try incorporate bragging into their complaining.

There's too many gold flakes on my soufflé, it ruins the taste.
My house is so big, I need to buy two internet routers.
I have soooo much money in my purse I can't actually close it.

Hopefully people see what I mean by that.

There are legitimate complaints and there are not legitimate complaints, what is and isn't again like so bloody much in this world, is entirely subjective. the not so legitimate complaints deserve a first world problems call, because they should feel bad for making said complaint.

On an unrelated note, I do hate all this excessive use of hash tags though which are more and more frequently popping up

I don't like telling people what to do. Everyone has a right to complain about whatever they want, and the legitimacy of such a complaint is entirely subjective and depends on the listener.

So even though I live in a third world country, I still feel first-worlders have a right to complain about whatever the hell they want.

I reserve the right to ignore them, of course.

I don't complain. I have running water and electricity that both come out of the wall without me having to do anything. Living for 20 years without that stuff, I can't bring myself to complain much anymore.

Creating a bubble for ourselves in which WE ARE THE HIGHEST AUTHORITY OF THE UNIVERSE is ridiculous. We act like complete tossers and justify every bit of it. I feel disgusted when I remember all the times that I complained about this sort of things. What the fuck is wrong with us people? Is whining that we didn't get an iPad for xmas or bitch about graphics all that Homo Sapiens are capable of anymore? Other animals probably think we are fucked up!

I think it is important to be able to maintain a sense of perspective, you should realise that a bad ending to a game is not the end of the world. Life goes on, etc.

Doesn't mean people shouldn't make complaints.

FelixG:

The first time I met someone who used 'lol' in every day speech was rather jarring for me, my brain just stopped for a moment trying to figure out what was wrong with the situation.

I have to say, it was a very strange day.

I actually use 'lol' sometimes in everyday speech. Not for something I find funny but as a phrase to acknowledge that something mildly amusing was said and that I registered it. "Lol" = yeah, 'funny' thing not worth laughing at or even some kind of further dedicated response.

And honest to glob, I don't see a problem with using it. There is no written law that I have to use some exact formulated reactions in direct conversations. Why shouldn't I use a phrase which meaning is known to anybody by now (The context I mentioned above is easily derived from my tone of voice as well as facial expression, you can only miss it if you are, and may I quote the one you quoted: "a robot")?

On Topic: 'First World Problems' is just another stupid phrase used too often in context of legit problems. It seems to me the people who use this phrase think that I actually want a response to me stating some unconvenience. No, I don't expect to someone rush to my help when I don't feel like getting those 8 bags from the car into my flat in two runs. I don't expect that someone warms my feet when I'm feeling a little cold and wait for the room to become warmer while I sip my black tea with muffins.

There is objectivity in terms of problems. Yes, there are worse problems in the world that having two days without a computer. So what? Am I taking away ressources that are used to solve those problems? Not really. Is it painfull when I punch you in the face when you tell me the above is a FWP? Yes, but hey, children in "I-don't-give-a-fuck-istan" are starving so you have no right to even open your mouth. Because your pain is gone in a few minutes. I on the other hand have to drive through half the city, get the assignment paper again, write down everything in a readable fashion in the context of the assignment and get before 6pm to the university and throw it in... As opposed to me uploading the already written pdf for the tutor to check and grade. So yeah, suddenly I've got a fuckton of stress and it sounds more like a problem now.
But at first when I said "My PC is not working" some asshat threw the phrase "First World Problem *hurr durr*".

Yeah, I am a little annoyed by the assumption that people think attention to problems is exclusive and that they can derive the depth of the problem by just one sentence.

TheKasp:

FelixG:

The first time I met someone who used 'lol' in every day speech was rather jarring for me, my brain just stopped for a moment trying to figure out what was wrong with the situation.

I have to say, it was a very strange day.

I actually use 'lol' sometimes in everyday speech. Not for something I find funny but as a phrase to acknowledge that something mildly amusing was said and that I registered it. "Lol" = yeah, 'funny' thing not worth laughing at or even some kind of further dedicated response.

And honest to glob, I don't see a problem with using it. There is no written law that I have to use some exact formulated reactions in direct conversations. Why shouldn't I use a phrase which meaning is known to anybody by now (The context I mentioned above is easily derived from my tone of voice as well as facial expression, you can only miss it if you are, and may I quote the one you quoted: "a robot")?

Oh I dont have a problem with people using it anymore IRL, all I mean is it was jarring when I first heard it, though my sort of acknowledgment that something humorous has been said but I didnt find entertaining is a lil 'heh' and then change of subject. I do say 'brb' in real life decently often myself.

FelixG:
Pro tip: Anyone that says "omg thats such a first world problem" or the like you can safely write off as a retard.

Just because a person is in the first world, doesn't mean that a problem isn't a problem, and you are not clever for drooling on yourself going "Hur first world problemz." Sure its not a problem as much as not having water if you live in shit-hole-country-x, but it is still a problem.

(Note: I am not calling any escapists retards, thats an editorial you)

No, 'First World Problems' is actually a thing. Observe: http://i.imgur.com/5krlg.jpg

There is no point where you can read 80~% of those comments and say "These are perfectly adjusted people."

Kopikatsu:

FelixG:
Pro tip: Anyone that says "omg thats such a first world problem" or the like you can safely write off as a retard.

Just because a person is in the first world, doesn't mean that a problem isn't a problem, and you are not clever for drooling on yourself going "Hur first world problemz." Sure its not a problem as much as not having water if you live in shit-hole-country-x, but it is still a problem.

(Note: I am not calling any escapists retards, thats an editorial you)

No, 'First World Problems' is actually a thing. Observe: http://i.imgur.com/5krlg.jpg

There is no point where you can read 80~% of those comments and say "These are perfectly adjusted people."

I am kinda wondering why the people who dont like the Kindel and are returning it for apple (Bleh) are in there, but yeah, thats a great buncha retards there too!

And I wasnt saying there arent idiots that have stupid complaints, though I am sure there are a number of them in the third world as well just like everywhere else, but I was referring to idiots like in the OP where some smug prick goes "lol first world problem" as if they are clever.

I always thought it was just a polite way of saying "I think what you're bitching about is fucking pathetic" but that could just be me.

someone called child abuse filled childhood a first world problem, because i wasn't born into Thailand and was raised into a whore or something

apparently that and some other stuff that happened to me doesn't isn't valid as a problem

i think we have taken this first world problem thing to far
wasn't it about like stupid stuff at first, it didn't mean you lost the right to complain. you should always have that right

krazykidd:
Iunno seems like the new popular phrase to say . It's annoyig a fuck, but just wait for the fad to kick in . What i hate though is people that take stuff from the internet and say them in real life . I first person to say that to me in real life gets slapped and i will say " did that hurt? At least you didn't lose a limb , first world problems".

I'll punch them straight in the kidney and say something to similar effect.
To be honest I do hate the phrase and I do hate getting it used against me, mostly because I don't whine about everything and tend to keep my mouth shut outside of important problems.

I hate the phrase though.

It depends on the problem, that's why the jokes are always about little things that don't matter.

Here's the way I see it.

There's a ratio of anger to problem size that is acceptable. If you're saying your life sucks because your parents bought you the wrong car as a present, you are over reacting. If you are slightly annoyed that a game you bought doesn't work with custom resolutions, that's much more valid. After a certain amount of bitching, some people need a great big helping of "suck it up and get over yourself", but OP, you are not one of them.

As for the phrase itself, I don't mind it all that much. Maybe it's because I never use it other than in jest.

Bad Poll. People definitely complain a lot about meaningless bullshit, but at the same time you can't just handwave any problem that isn't "starving to death" or "having AIDS" as a FWP. A lot of it is the degree to which people complain and the frequency of it, as well as the context of the complaints. Complaining about ME3's ending actually serves a purpose, so obviously complaining loudly is warranted. If you work a minimum wage job, then 60 bucks is a good chunk of money. If you were looking forward to guild wars 2, all the more reason to be mildly or even moderately disappointed.

Hell, I waited for 7 god damn years for Capcom to make MML3 and spent almost a year and 2000+ posts worth of writing content on their message boards in the "Devroom", only to have Capcom cancel on us. I would have punched someone in the face if they tried to tell me I didn't have the right to be at least moderately upset at the news.

Yet when I saw some people actually complaining that their lives were "ruined" because of the ME3 ending without a hint of irony, then yes, I'd tentatively say that their lives could stand to be injected with a bit of perspective. I also think people could stand to spend less time focused on their own entertainment and comfort, and more on the comfort of those who are unable to provide it for themselves.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here