What do you think of "#FirstWorldProblems"?
Legitimate, well-off people complain too much
36% (149)
36% (149)
Not Legitimate, people should be able to complain
63.5% (263)
63.5% (263)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: "First World Problems"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Well yes and no. Really goes on a case to case basis. Say, if you lose your internet connection. Well that sucks, you'll get by.
You lose your internet connection, and you have some project to do. That certainly sucks a whole lot more, but it's still kinda a first world problem.

My current first world problem. I bought an auction item from Desert Bus (See my avatar), and it's gona take 2-3 weeks to get here.
Grahh, my life is ruined. I may as well end it all....... *Distracted (Cause I have internet)*.
Really, I can wait.

Maybe it's not to much the complaining, but the griefing often involved thats so annoying.

I prefer the term white people problems myself. Regardless, yes, you should be able to complain all you want. Just remember that your problems aren't actual problems; life is so good for us in the 1st world we have to make up shit to be upset/sad about. So complain away, I know I will, but try and keep that in the back of your mind.

Great clip of Louis CK talking about this: http://www.maniacworld.com/we-have-white-people-problems.html

When I was a kid my Grandmother would tell me "There are starving kids in Africa who would love to have *insert whatever gross old country meal she made*. "

I see the "1st world problems." argument in the same light. Thusly people who use it are equally as hip and with it as my Grandmother.

Diddy_Mao:
When I was. Kid my Grandmother would tell me "There are starving kids in Africa who would love to have *insert whatever gross old country meal she made*. "

I see the "1st world problems." argument in the same light. Thusly people who use it are equally as hip and with it as my Grandmother.

Too bad she didn't rub off on you.

Despite the way the pole has gone, legit. Though not quite in the way people normally think.

Take a look at England for example. Unemployment is still rising, tax cuts are everywhere and we might as well have a sentient Salt & Pepper shaker running the country for all it's worth. The problems all link together to create a vicious cycle of problems that allows things like the London Riots of a couple of years ago to happen.

Not gonna lie, Second and Third World countries have their problems, sure. However, the needs of your own people should generally not be neglected either.

On a side note, more people donate to Animal Charities than organizations like the British Heart Foundation or Oxfam. Just Saiyan.

CAPATCHA: Doctor Who. Y'know, I'd rather have David Tennent/Christopher Eccleston/Matt Smith running the country than David Cameron X3

dagens24:

Diddy_Mao:
When I was. Kid my Grandmother would tell me "There are starving kids in Africa who would love to have *insert whatever gross old country meal she made*. "

Yep. Guess I missed out on being a nosy pain in the ass with a shockingly disproportionate amount of self importance. Not a day goes by that I don't lament my inability to feel I can stand in judgement of others on what they do and don't have the right to complain about.

I wanna know who the people are that are saying its a first world problem. I doubt they are from Africa, Asia or latin america where there are real third world countries...

dagens24:
Just remember that your problems aren't actual problems; life is so good for us in the 1st world we have to make up shit to be upset/sad about.

Yep, because someone in the United States getting assaulted, raped or murdered is just making shit up to be sad about because they're in a first world country!

Comedians do not always make logical people.

Oh, and by the way Dagens, I'm going to be dead in a few months from a terminal brain tumor. I guess I don't have problems, do I?

I think that if something inconveniences you, then you have every right to complain about it. However, I also think that being thankful for what you have is extremely important.

In the end, it's all about finding that balance between being a spoiled brat who can't be pleased and being a pushover who never voices his mind about anything. That balance is incredibly hard to find, however.

GunsmithKitten:

dagens24:
Just remember that your problems aren't actual problems; life is so good for us in the 1st world we have to make up shit to be upset/sad about.

Yep, because someone in the United States getting assaulted, raped or murdered is just making shit up to be sad about because they're in a first world country!

Oh, and by the way Dagens, I'm going to be dead in a few months from a terminal brain tumor. I guess I don't have problems, do I?

We aren't really talking about assault or rape or murder, though.

And to be honest, anyone who gets murdered doesn't have much to complain about.

GunsmithKitten:

dagens24:

Are you serious? Of course there are people in the 1st world who have REAL problems, like your brain tumour there. That's an actual problem. What we're talking about are stupid shits who cry that their cellphone drops a call one out of every hundred times or who complain about they have to wait 40 minutes before their plane takes off; shit that no one should ever complain about but people complain about all the time.

'Ugh, it took me 15 extra minutes to get to work today because of traffic'. Oh, I'm sorry, did you not just travel at 100 km/h across a vast distance in mere minutes, something that would have taken days only a hundred years ago? A lot of people in the 1st world lack perspective. You probably don't since you're dying; doesn't it bother you when people cry over nothing when you have actual problems? I'd love your feedback.

lithiumvocals:

GunsmithKitten:

dagens24:

We aren't really talking about assault or rape or murder, though.

And to be honest, anyone who gets murdered doesn't have much to complain about.

Thank you good sir, this is my exact rebut.

Diddy_Mao:

dagens24:

Diddy_Mao:

Yep. Guess I missed out on being a nosy pain in the ass with a shockingly disproportionate amount of self importance. Not a day goes by that I don't lament my inability to feel I can stand in judgement of others on what they do and don't have the right to complain about.

Good, I'm glad you see that you're in the wrong and lament it; progress has been made.

Seriously though, the point that is being made is that we who are so lucky to have what we have in the 1st world should be greatful and humble that we were lucky enough to be born into the lives we were (yes, I'm making a generalization, there are those in the 1st world that have terrible lives, but I'm talking about the average 1st worlder who is very well off compared to the rest of the world). Sure, we have the right to bitch about stupid shit but we should always have that little niggling feeling in the back of our mind that we shouldn't complain when there are many others less fortunate than we.

legitimacy is relative
My personal favorite line on the subject is "There are starving children in Africa that don't have to put up with this crap."

If you've lived in the first world all your life and your first world problems don't bother you then you have an enviable level of stoicism, and that's all I have to say on the subject.

I mean, it's sort of hit or miss. Obviously, problems in third world countries are worse, but just because your problems could be worse doesn't mean they're not still irritating. In a first world economy, things should conform to first world expectations. It's a relative scale. Relative to what you should get, it's annoying and you should be able to point this out to someone without them going "lol well at least you have drinkable water you ungrateful fuck."

I mean, some people really do complain about stupid things though.

lacktheknack:

FalloutJack:
People complain too much. That's all there really is to it.

There are legitimate complaints and illegit complaints.

And many...MANY people seem to miss out on which is which.

This. As it is with everything.

Some things just aren't worth complaining about, and it's eleven or twelve different kinds of irritating when that's what people complain about.

See: Yesterday's "Wii Us can be bricked if you don't follow simple instructions!" debacle.

the Wii U bricking thing was fucked up, considering the default setting turned the system off, causing several systems to just suddenly commit suicide, and most firmware updates aren't 5 freaking gigabytes. And complaining that your 300-350 dollar brand new gaming system is bricked before you even play it, even if you somehow caused it (especially if you caused it considering at that point you voided your own warranty) is certainly something worth complaining about, and if you don't think so, could I have a couple bucks because you clearly care nothing for your money.

People get to complain, that's fine, about whatever - and I'm not going to pull the first world card on them. When people act out about what they're complaining about to the point that they are equating their problem with starving in a war torn nation by the level of emo they've ratcheted themselves up to or by direct verbal comparison - THEN I will say they are experiencing a First World problem and to adapt some better coping skills.

Saying "first world problems" is just another way of saying "you don't matter". Its probably one of the most condescending things you can say to someone and if they only punch you in the face for it then you got off lucky.

I don't think its really complaining as much as it is a really cheap and lazy attempt at humour. Saying "that's a first world problem, deal with it" is just a dickhead thing to say, isn't witty at all. I'd rather someone just shut up and say nothing at all than receive a "first world problem" response.

Meaning of Karma:
Err, I always thought that "first world problems" referred to people making an enormously big deal out of trivial shit.

Like someone spilling soda all over themselves and then declaring that their whole life is ruined and that they might as well just drop dead.

That's what it should refer to, but the phrase has been overused and mutated into something useless.

Altorin:

lacktheknack:

FalloutJack:
People complain too much. That's all there really is to it.

There are legitimate complaints and illegit complaints.

And many...MANY people seem to miss out on which is which.

Some things just aren't worth complaining about, and it's eleven or twelve different kinds of irritating when that's what people complain about.

See: Yesterday's "Wii Us can be bricked if you don't follow simple instructions!" debacle.

the Wii U bricking thing was fucked up, considering the default setting turned the system off, causing several systems to just suddenly commit suicide, and most firmware updates aren't 5 freaking gigabytes. And complaining that your 300-350 dollar brand new gaming system is bricked before you even play it, even if you somehow caused it (especially if you caused it considering at that point you voided your own warranty) is certainly something worth complaining about, and if you don't think so, could I have a couple bucks because you clearly care nothing for your money.

As I said in the other thread:

IT DOES NOT TURN OFF AUTOMATICALLY MID-UPDATE.

TURNING OFF ANY ELECTRONICS IN A FIRMWARE UPDATE WILL BRICK THEM.

WARRANTIES COVER POWER OUTAGES.

I. AM. FULL. OF. RAGE.

(MAYBE IF I TYPE IN ALL-CAPS, PEOPLE WILL READ THIS STUFF. SHOUTING IS NOT DIRECTED DIRECTLY AT THE GUY I'M QUOTING.)

The only remotely valid point you have is the 5 GB download (still waiting to hear if that's even true), but that's barely noticeable in this day and age.

The whole thing reeks of a smear campaign fueled by ignorance of ALL electronics and people being too lazy to Google stuff. The part that makes me scream in all-caps is that it's WORKING.

As I said in the other thread, people are mocking the kettle (the Wii U) for being black when the pots, pans, stove and bowls (all other electronics) are ALSO black (ie. brick if turned off in a firmware update).

I thought the phrase "first world problems" was just meant to be funny. The first time I heard that line was when I was in a hotel with a friend while we were on vacation, and I said to him that I couldn't sleep because the digital clock was too bright. After that I couldn't sleep because I was laughing too much.

I think it's perfectly legitimate. How big a problem is is relative to your normal state of existence. If you lead a normal life in a first-world country, a product not working as advertised is a legitimate problem. If you lived a hypothetically perfect life, where nothing was imperfect at all, a loose piece of gravel on the road would be a legitimate problem, because it is a deviation from what you expect. I imagine we see a loose piece of gravel in the same way some starving South Africans might see our game not working properly. And possibly our hypothetical perfect person may see a game not working properly as we see someone starving to death. But in all cases, the problems are problems realtive to the person experiencing them.

But who am I to say. This is all subjective.

"First world problems"
Do they exist? ofcourse, but people are allowed to complain, alternately other people who don't see those problems as something worth complaining about are also allowed to kindly paraphrase "stfu".

Actual FWPs can be divided into 3 categories:
1.)Problems stemming from our own lazyness(at the time of writing I'm a littler thirsty but don't want to walk across the room to my minifridge to grab a pop, maybe in a bit)
2.) Problems stemming from our own pickyness(I get to the minifridge and find out there's only sprite, but I'm really in the mood for coke)
3.) Problems that occur because of our fancy/expensive toys/electronics/luxeries (OT kind of falls into this imo, the latest gaming fad not running at 60fps(I was under the impression human eyes couldn't detect much more than 30 or in that area, anything past that just seems extremely indulgent) on the precise setting you want it to does strike me as a FWP) The NigaHiga video had a good example of this: "My new iphone doesn't fit in my skinnyjean pocket.
EDIT: I just thought of another fwp for this category, 0 in the font the escapist uses has a dot in it and keeps making me think my screen is dirty

Yeah people will use the term condescendingly, we human being will always find loopholes or ways to warp phrases, atmomic structures, laws, etc. we're awesome like that.

lacktheknack:

Altorin:

lacktheknack:

As I said in the other thread:

IT DOES NOT TURN OFF AUTOMATICALLY MID-UPDATE.

TURNING OFF ANY ELECTRONICS IN A FIRMWARE UPDATE WILL BRICK THEM.

WARRANTIES COVER POWER OUTAGES.

I. AM. FULL. OF. RAGE.

(MAYBE IF I TYPE IN ALL-CAPS, PEOPLE WILL READ THIS STUFF. SHOUTING IS NOT DIRECTED DIRECTLY AT THE GUY I'M QUOTING.)

The only remotely valid point you have is the 5 GB download (still waiting to hear if that's even true), but that's barely noticeable in this day and age.

The whole thing reeks of a smear campaign fueled by ignorance of ALL electronics and people being too lazy to Google stuff. The part that makes me scream in all-caps is that it's WORKING.

As I said in the other thread, people are mocking the kettle (the Wii U) for being black when the pots, pans, stove and bowls (all other electronics) are ALSO black (ie. brick if turned off in a firmware update).

First: your picture scares me and will most likely give me nightmares for years to come, I hope you're happy and a good day to you kind sir.

Second: The allcaps did indeed work as I am considering purchasing a WiiU and will now make sure to follow the instructions as to not burn $300-$350

Third: I miss the days when I could just plug a game into my system and play the god damn game without 20+ minutes of updates and installation, a sentiment I'm certain I'm not the first nor the last to utter.

Complaints, I think, are always context-sensitive.

That said, the First World Problems thing has its moments. But it really does seem kind of like a way to complain a lot without really complaining, if that makes sense.

Complaining about first world problems?

First world problems dude.

Anyway. It's not that you shouldn't complain, it's that you could be doing something considered more worthwhile than complaining about something silly. So, instead of complaining about how guild wars 2 doesn't run at the resolution you want, you could be helping starving children. See, much more effective use of time.

I think this really originated from people saying truly moronic things, now it has expanded to be about anything other than war, death and destruction.

They're pretty funny. Whether they're legit or not is on a case-by-case basis.

But someone already stated my thoughts. If we were banned from complaining just over the virtue that "someone else has it worse", then only one person could complain, ever. That in itself, isn't fair.

Problems are relative, and the apparent severity of other people's problems does not diminish your own.
For example, should a starving child in Africa shut up about his problems because there is another child next to him, also starving but with one leg removed by a landmine? Should that child shut up if another one comes along with both legs removed?
It's a moronic argument, and is used only (apart from as a joke, of course) by idiots who think that it gives them an air of superiority because they are "above" those trivial problems, when in reality they'll be bitching about the slightest inconvenience in 5 minutes time.

To me, the first world problems response is there to mock someone being childish about entertainment. It's fine to detail a gaming problem and ask about a solution. When you get extremely emotional about it, attributing a level of importance that it just doesn't deserve that you start deserving a little light mockery.
At least your center-channel speaker still works.

In other words, don't bitch about inconveniences. Fix 'em or deal with it. Not sure why so many people didn't learn that growing up...

Its pretentious. Its okay to complain about problems, even little ones as long as you don't make a big deal about it. Someone who spouts first world problems is an attention seeking bitch trying to sound clever, when they themselves probably do it more than anyone else.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked