36.8% (145)
Inside my ethnicity as a female
5.1% (20)
5.1% (20)
Outside my ethnicity as a female
4.6% (18)
4.6% (18)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Dating inside or outside your Ethnicity/Race?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

game-lover:

Yeah but I assumed most of the girls were of the ethnicity doesn't matter portion.

Phasmal:

game-lover:

Yeah but I assumed most of the girls were of the ethnicity doesn't matter portion.

Yep, cant vote, don't care either way.
I can't `picture my perfect person` because there is no such person, there are a certain amount of people that I wouldnt like and some I would like and ethnicity doesn't really come into it.
Doesn't matter what ethnicity they are, as long as they are a massive nerd.

Oh please ladies don't act so high and mighty. Women can be just as petty, superficial, and inconsiderate as men, and in some cases more so.

The person doesn't have to be perfect just the ethnic/race you mostly fantasize about.

Inside my ethnicity.

I'm explicitly not attracted to most non-caucasians. There have been exceptions (all of them asian), but not a whole lot.

edit: The term "explicitly not attracted" is probably too abrupt to avoid being misunderstood. So I'll put it this way instead:

When I meet a woman of my own ethnicity, assuming she's my sort, I'll entertain thoughts of her as a possible partner. Fantasize even if I have no intention of acting. When I meet a woman of another ethnicity, the thought just never occurs. It's no different from meeting a man of any ethnicity. I wonder if we share any interests and what sort of friends we'll make, but the sexual headspace never comes into it. My disinterest isn't coming from sapient prejudice.

Relish in Chaos:
In a nutshell, I'm a heterosexual black male who would be willing to date an attractive girl of any race except his own, due to complete lack of sexual attraction to them and unwillingness to conform to racial stereotypes.

At the risk of sounding racist here, white women seem to have more variety, in terms of hair colour, hairstyles, appearance, etc. I've rarely found a black women attractive;

krazykidd:
I only date white girls. I'm black . I don't find black girls attractive at ALL . I would like to date a asian girl though . So outside for me .

Gordon_4:
For whatever this anecdote is worth, I attribute an attraction I have to Asian (both of the Japan/China/Korea etc

aba1:
That being said I come from a Irish heritage and my girlfriend of 6 years comes from a Chinese heritage, I am happy a bit though I find Asian girls to be easily the most attractive.

Starting to see a couple of trends here, poor black girls.....

It's good tho keep it coming, it's a shame I'm limited by not knowing the ethnicity of everyone to see how the different ethnic groups feel towards their own ethnicity.

Lionsfan:

For the most part I find white girls the most attractive. Nothing against girls of other skin color, it's just what I like

Well at least we agree on something.

i honestly dont get the question or why ethnicity matters

I don't think I'd care about ethnicity, really. I can't actually think of a reason I would and I'm genuinely trying hard.

Different cultures, sure, but ethnicity doesn't leave its mark on you (EDIT - why did I choose these words?!) as much as where you live, I tend to find.

I can't vote because I don't care. Not in a consistent way.

I liked mostly hispanic and white girls, but that's more based off the fact that those were the only two ethnicities where I grew up.

I recently had a crush on an amazing artist who was black. I don't think I have any particular racial fetish as far as I can tell. I really love black hair, so that factors in sometimes I guess.

I've never seen so many backward questions on one forum as on the Escapist. It's a big forum, yes, that doesn't make it right though.

ehtnicity isnt the issue

its culture

I couldn't go out with a guy who was from a very traditional/religion background (particually one with.."differnt" ideas for women)

disgruntledgamer:

game-lover:

Phasmal:

game-lover:

I can't `picture my perfect person` because there is no such person, there are a certain amount of people that I wouldnt like and some I would like and ethnicity doesn't really come into it.

Oh please ladies don't act so high and mighty. Women can be just as petty, superficial, and inconsiderate as men, and in some cases more so.

The person doesn't have to be perfect just the ethnic/race you mostly fantasize about.

Sorry dude, don't fantasize really.
I have had crushes on people inside and outside my ethnicity and would date either.
That's not being `high and mighty`, it's just being honest.
There are several dudes also saying it doesn't matter.
To some people it just doesn't.

Xdeser2:
so...your telling me you'd only go on a long term relationship with someone who is your race?

How does that make logical sense, exactly? all ethnicity is, is the square footage you happened to be pushed out on and melanin in your skin, its not like people of diffrient ethnicities are any diffrient in any appreciable way romanticly or sexually. (sorry if that was a bit technical, and Im not saying your wrong for doing that, you gotta live your life your way)

So...no. its not something that matters to me. At all. In any way.

Actually there is a little more to than simple melanin in your skin, facial features, skull shape, hair/eye colour etc. But that's not the point Sexual Preference/Selection matters and to say Ethnicity/Race is not a factor in that for the vast majority of the population is absurd. I'm not saying it's the only factor, or the deciding factor but it is a factor for most. If you say it's not you are simply unaware or lying to yourself.

Having a sexual preference to a certain ethnic race doesn't make you a raciest or reverse raciest. I have more than a few different ethnic friends but choosing a SO that's a whole new ball game.

Phasmal:

Sorry dude, don't fantasize really.
I have had crushes on people inside and outside my ethnicity and would date either.
That's not being `high and mighty`, it's just being honest.
There are several dudes also saying it doesn't matter.
To some people it just doesn't.

That's not the point, I never said it was a deciding factor or you couldn't have a crush out side of your preference.

Here try this think of the hottest guy you can think of. The first guy that pops into your head is your answer.

OlasDAlmighty:

deathzero021:

i really think there should be an option in the poll for "no preference"

That's the easy answer. Everyone would just choose that and the poll would be almost pointless.

That's it exactly, I debated for whether or not to include a no preference option, but than everyone would just flock to that as a default answer without even thinking about it. I'm trying to get you people to think.

Binnsyboy:

Esotera:
I'm more attracted to white girls than any other skin colour, as I live in a very homogenous area and it's quite rare to see anyone who isn't white. As long as their skin isn't tanned orange...

That's fair enough.

I'd say I'm usually more likely to find a white woman attractive. That isn't to say I've never found black or asian women attractive, I'm just talking probability.

As such, gun to my head, ask me to imagine my future wife, she's white in the mental image. But if it so happens that the girl I decide to pop the question to isn't white, then fair enough.

Also, I think there's a little more variety to white women. Genetically speaking, black or asian women tend to have darker hair colours, whereas white women have the whole blonde/redhead thing too.

Although I usually prefer brunettes over blondes, but still.

Point is, I'm not going to turn to my ethnically diverse girl of x amount of years and say 'fuck off, I'm not marrying a [insert relevant racial slur here]!'

Le_Lisra:
Gosh that was an interesting think I just had to have.

I only ever dated in my ethnicity, if you can call it that (though my girlfriend is from another country.. but I guess the ethicity is "white european" or something? Caucasian? I actually don't know). Now. I never actually thought about this. But based on the social economic background I have, where I grew up etc... I tend not to meet that ethnically diverse people.

In 13 years of school education and now almost 4 years of university, I met...

*a dozen people from either the large swap of arabia or turkey (2 female)
*one chinese girl
*one black kid in grade school

and that's it. I SEE lots of different ethnicities (I was born in Berlin, Germany, go figure) but I never actually meet them, just cross them on the street..

So I only dated inside my ethnicity. Not by any conscious preference, but default.

That IS food for thought, so thanks, OP.

Though only hypothetically, because i'm very much in love. :)

Read these 2 posts, this is the train of thought I'm looking for.

If you really can't come up with an answer make a list of attractive guys/girls and than just take the highest common denominator. That's your answer.

I don't care one way or the other, but I do find Asian girls extremely attractive- dating one right now, in fact.

Xdeser2:
so...your telling me you'd only go on a long term relationship with someone who is your race?

How does that make logical sense, exactly? all ethnicity is, is the square footage you happened to be pushed out on and melanin in your skin, its not like people of diffrient ethnicities are any diffrient in any appreciable way romanticly or sexually. (sorry if that was a bit technical, and Im not saying your wrong for doing that, you gotta live your life your way)

So...no. its not something that matters to me. At all. In any way.

To explain: to me it's no different than saying you might be more attracted to people with dark hair than with light hair. It's not a question of race per se in that being of a certain group makes one automatically more attractive, just that there is a physical trait common to many of that ethnicity that one may find particularly attractive. One may find a certain skin tone to be more appealing than another.

It's a bit of an awkward question. Seeing as it depends on location, the individual person, culture, religion, etc. I would imagine I would have a slight attraction to my own seeing as I am most used to interracting with them. But all different ethnic groups can be attractive so I don't know.

lacktheknack:
Cannot answer, due to it not actually being a factor in my choice of date.

Like so many others, I'm going to have to agree with this.

I wouldn't consider it a factor.

disgruntledgamer:

That's not the point, I never said it was a deciding factor or you couldn't have a crush out side of your preference.

Here try this think of the hottest guy you can think of. The first guy that pops into your head is your answer.

That's not the question you asked though.

If someone thought a black guy was the hottest guy in the world, that doesn't mean they prefer dating inside/outside their race.

Zack Alklazaris:
Honestly I don't care I've gone inside and outside my race and the differences are slight. My only real complaint and I don't know how to say it without being racist so fuck it. I don't like black peoples hair. Its thick, gnarled, and makes it hard to snuggle up to someone when your being suffocated by their hair. Perhaps there is some secret that I don't know about, but it was pretty difficult to spoon with my X GF because of it.

Other than that, never really had any problems.

Let me say that I am black and am black (to be transparent). I think our hair is (the sh!t) the best kind of hair in the world. There are so many things that we can do with it braids, cornrows, Afros etc. Blacks can straighten their hair, I ask you, can non-black have an Afro(not rhetorical)?

It wasnt until my current girlfriend started asking me about who Ive dated that I realised this, but with the exception of one white girl, I have only ever dated outside my ethnicity. Technically, Im Romani, which should make me dark skinned, but I got my mothers genes and ended up pasty and pale, so I am white British, but my the girls I have dated have been Indian, Japanese and now Israeli. It wasnt a deliberate plan, but I have really only dated outside my ethnicity.

Outside...

Where I live, population is pretty homogeneous, so anyone from a different ethnicity would be considered quite exotic.

disgruntledgamer:
It might sound petty, but if you were to construct an ideal mate most people wouldn't be flipping a coin when choosing skin colour.

Even with your 'ideal mate' scenario, I'm not sure which option to go on with your poll. As a white women my preference is mixed race people - half white half anything-else - I guess because I like dark hair, dark eyes and not-too-pale skin but I also like the Caucasian facial structure. So I think it kind of counts as inside and outside my ethnicity/race at the same time.

Having said that, my current boyfriend's white with blue eyes and light hair and that's not a problem for me at all. When I first showed my mum a picture of him she went "He's... um... he's very... white, isn't he?"
I laughed, I guess she's not used to me being into white guys.

There should probably be an option for 'don't care either way'. I don't have an idea of an 'ideal mate', I just am attracted to someone, and if they have a good personality, then I would be interested in dating them. I don't think I can afford to be that picky either, as a gay individual, coming across someone that you are both attracted to and you have a compatible personality with is reduced as it is, never mind settling on preferences for ethnicity.

For the record though, I have only dated people of my own ethnicity, but I have been knocked back by people of other ethnicities, if that counts for anything.

Captcha: black and white

disgruntledgamer:

game-lover:

Phasmal:

game-lover:

Reign it in, will you? We weren't acting high and mighty. In fact, if you'd read my earlier post, you'll see I went through a lengthy phase where I wasn't attracted to my own race for a very long time. FYI: I'm black. And personally, I still consider black men the least attractive to me even though some such as Shemar Moore are fine.

We just said when it comes to our ideal mate, we don't have a special preference. And we stand by that. It's nothing to do with considering ourselves better in some way or whatever. I only said what I did to give a probable explanation for why no women were voting.

Are you so cynical that you have to assume we're implying something we're not? Did you get on everyone else's cases when they said they didn't give a shit one way or the other either?

While I don't have preferences in terms of ethnicity, as a Caucasian male, my past crushes/GFs have been Asian or partially Asian, though I think it's purely coincidence. I will say that I probably wouldn't date a black girl, though. Not that I have anything against them, they just doesn't appeal to me.

Outside.

I wouldn't even consider entering into a relationship with a black woman.

Makes no odds to me. I've only ever been with white girls but then I've never lived in a diverse area until now (moved to London 6 weeks ago).

Wow is this mostly like an American thing? I'm from Toronto and the majority of people in their 20's are dating or have dated someone outside of their race. I'm Black and my fiancee is Vietnamese but I have dated Black girls, white girls and other Asian girls and i'm not in the minority for that. It just seems strange that people knowingly restrict themselves to seeing people of their own race

I really couldn't care less what ethnicity / race / whatever they are, as long as I find them attractive.
I'm not attracted to all ethnicities, however, but I've dated several white girls, one..uh... "mixed black / white" (forgive my lacking vocabulary, no idea what word to use in English) and one asian girl. I didn't vote, because there is no option along the lines of "I have no preference".
White male by the way, in case you're wondering.

I'm a Canadian born Chinese male who lives in a town where the majority of the population is white/Italian. Even if I cared about dating within my own race/ethnicity, I don't have many options.

I had the strangest accusation of racism over this once, but guess I should tell the story...

Was in the pub with a few mates chatting away and the topic came up of people you find attractive, as the conversation rolled on I mentioned having a weak spot for black girls, even more than white girls, something about their skin I find makes them so beautiful... and yes I do realize how creepy that sounds, its hard to put it any way without it sounding creepy.

Anyway as I told this to my friends this black guy wandered over to our table and starting going off on one. Calling me a racist, to stick to my own race, that I'm a bigot and the only reason I'm attracted to black girls is some lingering racist sentiment and wanting to "dominate" another race like my ancestors apparent did during the slavery era.

Confused the hell out of me, how on earth does finding black women attractive as a white man and wanting, if the opportunity arose, to be in a consensual relationship make me racist just because I'm white, still baffles me to this day!

Still I guess that answers your question too, I have nothing against dating outside of my own ethnicity/race, would prefer it in my case given my preferences. Love is love and people are attracted to who they are attracted to.

Err, I didn't vote, but I will say I have preferences... I hope that doesn't make me a racist... :\

Option 5: Utterly irrelevant...

Colour-Scientist:

If someone thought a black guy was the hottest guy in the world, that doesn't mean they prefer dating inside/outside their race.

Sure it does, like I said if you want to make it more complicated think of a bunch of guys and take the highest common denominator.

clipse15:
Wow is this mostly like an American thing?

I'm from Ontario so no.

Rocklobster99:
Outside.

I wouldn't even consider entering into a relationship with a black woman.

And the trend continues..... poor black girls.

game-lover:

Reign it in, will you? We weren't acting high and mighty.

You were implying that girls weren't voting because they have no preference, but guys were. Which gave the impression that you were suggesting girls were above all that.

game-lover:
I'm black. And personally, I still consider black men the least attractive to me even though some such as Shemar Moore are fine.

Shemar Moore is half white.

My boyfriend is a gloriously blonde-haired, blue-eyed Irish/German man and I am also (mostly) white. Does that answer this particular heavily stigmatized question?

Geez, I re-wrote my response three times because I was afraid of sounding racist. Not sure if there's something wrong with me here, society or both.

im the kind of guy that will do anything with a heart beat at least once... however despite of my man-whporing ways i must admit i have a penchant for far-oriental women, probably due to cultural admiration, unfortunately they are not very prevalent where i live.

so it goes without saying that my dating history primarily has involved lovely white women, sure its not exotic but vanilla is good. in regards to stable relationships my girlfriend and my ex's have also lacked sufficient pigmentation to be considered "outlandish".

beauty has many variations in my perception, in fact the few times i have had the opportunity to be with non caucasian women my interest was even greater. however if i were to discriminate on physical appearance it would be in regards to breasts.... yes i am rather fond of large mammary glands, so much so that i am something of a breast-man. Even though i wont lie, when a round thing on an ity bity waist comes at my face... i do indeed get sprung.

basically i dont care what colour the woman has, green, blue or red as long as she is "fine" and comes in peace i am game

If I were to design "the perfect woman" she would be white like me. Just my natural preference.

That being said, I'd consider any female in my age bracket whose personality struck sparks of compatibility when rubbed against mine. Melanin concentration is something we don't choose for ourselves, it's a dumb thing to get hung up on. We're all red on the inside.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked