36.8% (145)
Inside my ethnicity as a female
5.1% (20)
5.1% (20)
Outside my ethnicity as a female
4.6% (18)
4.6% (18)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Dating inside or outside your Ethnicity/Race?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

I dont care about ethnicity at all, but what I do think might actually make a long-term relationship MUCH easier is sharing a common cultural background. If you both grew up in the same country, or at least the same part of the world culturally. For example a Brit and a German may atleast have quite alot common as Europeans while an Asian would be completely different.

Being able to talk about the same things experienced since childhood and sharing the same kind of understanding about different topics really do help, at least from my experience. That being said, if you love the person enough and are compatible enough none of this matters, I just think it makes it easier.

There should be a "it doesn't matter" option. I have no preference. I'm one of those cheesy, "it's on the inside that matters" kinda guys. Sooooo ethnicity/skin color isn't a factor for me.

I honestly don't care. I've dated hispanic girls, italian girls, asians, white skin, dark skin so it really doesn't matter to me.

as a sort of "russian roulette" gun to my head moment, yeah i'd probably date inside my ethnicity/race. (probably 2/3rds of my girlfriends have been as such to reflect that)

but that wouldn't somehow stop me from dating another race/ethnicity, obviously on some level i have to find them physically attractive, otherwise nothing will fruit beyond friendship (sorry to say, them the facts down there).

the only "race" (and i use that roughly) i haven't full on dated is a 100% black girl, and that is because i just haven't found one that was compatible. otherwise i've dabbled in a bit of this and that in mixes, not that it was intentional by any means, and they all were very nice girls for the most part.

(one trend i noticed was, my 3 mexican girlfriends all loved to bite..alot. sweet jesus it'd cross the line sometimes.)

Cedric Rolle III:

Blacks can straighten their hair, I ask you, can non-black have an Afro(not rhetorical)?

I had a glorious blonde 'fro in my younger days, my friend.

Sort of a mixed bag.
Basic info: White male, 23
Likes: White, Asian (all types, i know there is japanese, thai, ect ect)
Dislikes: Black, latinos, indian, arab

Now this is merely about sexual attraction, i got no problem being friend with a black person or anything.

The OP has a different view on what race is compared to me. I go with race being biological.

I'm racially aware and have read literature that explains the differences and achievements of the different races, thus I cannot date or have a relationship with a non-white (I'm an ethnic Swede). It's also natural to be with your own kind.

My preferences have nothing to do with skin color, but attitude and interests. If you are looking for physical attributes I prefer, those would be short hair and big soulful eyes; common to all races and ethnicities.

Ethnicity has absolutely zero impact on whether I'd date someone or not. Personality is the most important thing to me by far. I can understand why someone would rather date within their own ethnicity, but personally it doesn't bother me at all dating outside it, in truth I actually quite like the idea (although again, personality is 100% of the deal, not ethnicity).

I've mostly dated white girls, although that'll be because I seem to get introduced to far more white girls than anything, rather than preference. I've dated a black girl, a hispanic girl and an asian girl and ethnicity was never an issue, not even a tiny bit. Despite vastly different backgrounds and to an extent culture, I never really felt particularly alienated by it, it was just another subject of conversation and one that I found genuinely pretty interesting to discuss/learn from. Perhaps it's a silly notion, but it felt like our differences made us closer, because it made our similarities more blatant and the eagerness to learn and empathise with the other always won out. The hispanic girl especially had the most differences, being from a different country (or several in her case), a different lifestyle and upbringing, but I've never ever been so close to somebody as I was with her, even before love struck.

My family is pretty against the idea of dating outside of your ethnicity and while I have to respect their opinions, I can't respect the snarkiness and unpleasantry that seems to go hand-in-hand with that.

If I absolutely had to choose to date inside or outside, I'd go with outside, differences can be just as much of a boon in a relationship as similarities, in my opinion. :)

Why isn't there a "It doesn't matter." option?

I've already admitted to myself, after a long time of overcoming social norms and expectations, that I'm attracted to not any gender in particular, male, female, both, male-to-female, female-to-male, it's all good to me, this wasn't too hard to admit to myself.

I didn't vote because I've never dated. [insert tired old foreveralone.jpg here]

When it comes to the "ideal mate" in my head (in terms of looks alone) it depends from fantasy to fantasy it seems. Sometimes he's white - or rather north/west/south European white[1] - sometimes black, occasionally black African, Hispanic, Arabic, East-Asian... It changes. Most often he's admittedly white but it's like 42% versus the 40% of the time he's black.

So make of that what you will. *shrug*

HOWEVER... Personality will always trump looks for me.

[1] Sorry eastern Euros; regardless of how goodlooking you are I've meet too many eastern Euros that have repelled me personality-wise that I can't fantasise about you =( I'm not talking about those that are for example born or have assimilated themselves into Swedish culture - my Polish-born BIL is one of the nicest men I know - I'm talking about guys I've met who are culturally fully eastern European. This probably means I'll fall in love with a Russian and have to eat my words, lol.

I don't care, but as I am half Asian living in Europe, my options are pretty limited; as in, all my girlfriends have been white.

I could never date a Turk or Syrian.
Too afraid they might be a cousin or something :P

and I love the culture - when I'm not involved in it. I do my best to avoid my family unless very specific people are involved. I couldn't stand potentially being forced to explore and get involved back into the fucking' thing due to a partner.

So I generally looked for eastern-euro women...or 'north'-asia (Korea/China/Japan).
I was always drawn to the 'look' of those two, particularly Serbian/Russian women; and I found every asian woman I ever met was the complete opposite of my character, and it was agonising to be around her....So I dated one. She happens to be Filo and she won't let me leave. ahaha

I do love her though, so I'll suffer away.

Cedric Rolle III:

Zack Alklazaris:
Honestly I don't care I've gone inside and outside my race and the differences are slight. My only real complaint and I don't know how to say it without being racist so fuck it. I don't like black peoples hair. Its thick, gnarled, and makes it hard to snuggle up to someone when your being suffocated by their hair. Perhaps there is some secret that I don't know about, but it was pretty difficult to spoon with my X GF because of it.

Other than that, never really had any problems.

Let me say that I am black and am black (to be transparent). I think our hair is (the sh!t) the best kind of hair in the world. There are so many things that we can do with it braids, cornrows, Afros etc. Blacks can straighten their hair, I ask you, can non-black have an Afro(not rhetorical)?

lol I do admit I would love to do something (anything) with my hair, but I was born with the jew fro.

Campaigner:
The OP has a different view on what race is compared to me. I go with race being biological.

No it is and I do, it's just technically humans are not genetically diverse enough to be categorized into sub-races.

waj9876:

Because than everyone would just pick that option as a default without even thinking about it, and the poll would became almost pointless.

Mortons4ck:

Cedric Rolle III:

Blacks can straighten their hair, I ask you, can non-black have an Afro(not rhetorical)?

I had a glorious blonde 'fro in my younger days, my friend.

Really XD? Do you have a picture of this is have to see :). Pretty Please, you learn something new every day.

disgruntledgamer:

Campaigner:

No it is and I do, it's just technically humans are not genetically diverse enough to be categorized into sub-races.

waj9876:

Because than everyone would just pick that option as a default without even thinking about it, and the poll would became almost pointless.

Zack Alklazaris:

Cedric Rolle III:

Zack Alklazaris:
Honestly I don't care I've gone inside and outside my race and the differences are slight. My only real complaint and I don't know how to say it without being racist so fuck it. I don't like black peoples hair. Its thick, gnarled, and makes it hard to snuggle up to someone when your being suffocated by their hair. Perhaps there is some secret that I don't know about, but it was pretty difficult to spoon with my X GF because of it.

Other than that, never really had any problems.

Let me say that I am black and am black (to be transparent). I think our hair is (the sh!t) the best kind of hair in the world. There are so many things that we can do with it braids, cornrows, Afros etc. Blacks can straighten their hair, I ask you, can non-black have an Afro(not rhetorical)?

lol I do admit I would love to do something (anything) with my hair, but I was born with the Jew fro.

Grow your hair longer and get your hair braided, locked or twisted. And if your feeling frisky get beads put in your hair.

disgruntledgamer:

Moonlight Butterfly:
I don't consider it. If I like someone I like them :/

Yeah but what do you prefer? Everyone has a preference, just a matter of a certain degrees.

IndomitableSam:
I'm probably more attracted to white men

I grew up in a very diverse area - right by a university, so, actually, there were more kids of different races put together than there were white kids in my area in the 80's, so skin colour isn't an issue for me in the slightest.

Kind of a contradiction there.

I've thought about it and I don't think I can say. :/ Maybe it's more of a guy thing?

I don't really care. If I liked someone, I would date/marry if it went that far, regardless of all else. If I get along with them, then I see no issue with it. I am white, and my wife is white, but that is just the way it worked out. I see nothing wrong with dating someone different than myself.

My preference is race isn't race specific, I prefer high contrast in features, and no race is automatically the best at that.

dfphetteplace:
I don't really care. If I liked someone, I would date/marry if it went that far, regardless of all else. If I get along with them, then I see no issue with it. I am white, and my wife is white, but that is just the way it worked out. I see nothing wrong with dating someone different than myself.

Than pretend you don't know them than make a preference.

I can't vote on anything in there, I don't care about ones ethnicity

Literally not a problem for me, dont really know how it would be for long-term deals... Its the person not the package that forges a long-term relationships.

My probelms are dating people whom I would find morally incompatable, right-wingers, people of... lower than average intelligence, hell some of the averagely intelligent people can be pretty stupid too, stuff like that.

I have no preference, as a male.

Which should probably be an option in the poll.

I do not care in the slightest about the ethnicity of someone I date. I am generally more concerned about what they are like as a person rather than what their ancestry is.

...I'm really not sure how to vote on this one. My own racial make-up is so thoroughly mixed that arguably the only way I even could date outside of my own race would be to specifically seek out asian or middle-eastern women. But then on the same token you could say that dating anyone that doesn't come from the extra special genetic mix in me would count as dating outside of my race so...

...so damn it, where's the "*shrug* I dunno" option?!

Again with the inability to vote.

I don't really have a preference either way. I guess that isn't really very different for me, is it?

But, just looking back...

I've dated a woman from Israel, an African-Canadian man, an African-American woman, a Chinese-American woman, and a Hispanic man.

So I've certainly dated outside my ethnic group. I wouldn't say I prefer it though. I've dated plenty of Caucasian Americans as well.

I don't like to think I have a preference, but the cotton ceiling probably operates in most privileged groups (I am white) to an extent.

I'm Biracial. I virtually have to date outside my ethnicity, which I define as biracial. I am not chinese. I am not caucasian. I am chinese-caucasian. That is what I am, and frankly, I don't care much about it. My ethnicity is not something I mention or bring up or care much about, because it doesn't matter to me.

As for dating inside or outside, I don't care. I only care about personal and cultural compatibility.

I would love to make a list. Of people who say that while they don't mind people from other races, and will even form friendships of people with other races... but will not date outside their race.

Only because I'd like to compare their names to those who respond to the threads about other ethnicities saying they wish there was something else to play than just white male. I want to see how many say 'Race shouldn't be a big deal' there, and then say 'Only in my race' here.

Also, I can not vote because the 'It doesn't matter to me' option isn't available.

ObsidianJones:
I would love to make a list. Of people who say that while they don't mind people from other races, and will even form friendships of people with other races... but will not date outside their race.

Only because I'd like to compare their names to those who respond to the threads about other ethnicities saying they wish there was something else to play than just white male. I want to see how many say 'Race shouldn't be a big deal' there, and then say 'Only in my race' here.

Also, I can not vote because the 'It doesn't matter to me' option isn't available.

Sexual preference don't make you raciest and I'd like to point out that the poll isn't "Do you prefer to date inside or outside your Ethnicity/Race as a white person" Look back and read not only are there people posting that don't date outside their ethnicity/race, but some say they won't ever even consider dating inside their ethnicity/race, what does that tell you? FYI they're not white.

I wouldn't rule out dating someone from another ethnicity but generally I don't find them as attractive. Of course there are exceptions.

inside, and as male. not against it, i don't particularly care either way, but it is mainly an availability issue. there simply aren't a huge number of non-white people where i live, and then they'd have to be decent looking, and then have a decent personality, and i'd also have to be single...

i'm not saying it's impossible, it is just statistically less likely and hence why i haven't tried it.

Most of the girls I've dated have been black or Asian, but the prettiest was definitely the one from Pakistan. Religion and family is a much larger barrier to overcome. So many people get attached to the idea of being with someone of their faith. I couldn't care less. I actually find such differences endearing.

Im a white guy and honestly, I feel a more interesting conversation is if we widened this to your regular friends. Your lying to me if race doesn't effect your choice in who you spend any of your time with (I also mean if you area just doesn't have any members of a specific race). My area is about 50% white, 35 to 40% Asian, and 10 to 15% other races. For me, its also mostly about interests and personality (It ends up being the former more then the latter more often then not for me) and for friendships its completely about those 2 things (If you look for attractiveness in a friend then your doing it wrong). It just happens that all of my friends currently (With about 1 or 2 exceptions if you count former friends) are white or Asian. Meanwhile some of my other friends (I use the term loosely in this case) who are more interested in sports then geek culture have about 50% of there friends (That i've seen at least) being black or Hispanic. Not saying that you are all like that, this is just what i've observed in my area, but its just how i've seen things. It also has to do with the fact that about 60 or 65% of the non Asian/white pepole I interact with regularly (Not to say that there are no white/Asians who this applies to as well, there are) ether ignore me (Mostly my fault actually, id rather spend more time with friends im already close with then waste it making new ones), annoy me and my friends regularly, or are mean to me and my friends regularly.

More on topic, yeah, I have to say I have preference towards my own race, with the exception of Asians (Still haven't figured out why) who have an even preference with me. I think of it in a way that if you put 2 girls in front of me, identical in every way except for there race, with one being white or Asian and the other a different race and gave me the choice between one of them, I would chose the one that was my own race.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked