Funny and bizarre facts

Pages 1 2 NEXT

* The children's novel Sluta mygla, kommunalrådet! ("Stop embezzling, Mr. councillor!") can be found in bookshelves on display in IKEA stores in Sweden, the USA, and Australia.

* According to the state-controlled media of China, Gangnam Style has a divine melody.

Now you tell me some bizarre fact.

In Singapore, prostitutes are hired by the government, so they are technically government workers.

The friend-zone doesn't exist *huge gasp* I know there will be people quoting me (had 3 already) so don't bother, if you disagree, that is fine, no need to tell me.

I don't know how true the gaming ones are, but they are still interesting!

TizzytheTormentor:
The friend-zone doesn't exist

Sure it does, to me the friend zone is when, lets say a man meets a woman.
-The woman finds him attractive and the man also finds her attractive.
-The man does something that completely puts off any attraction the woman has towards the man.
-Thus, he is put into her friend-zone without being able to come back.

It could be that ONE thing you dislike in another, or a big pet peeve. Like if you dislike smokers. You might fine a sexy man or handsome woman you see desirable, but instantly put them in a friend like zone once they pull out a cigarette.

Yeah?

Rose and Thorn:

TizzytheTormentor:
The friend-zone doesn't exist

Sure it does, to me the friend zone is when, lets say a man meets a woman.
-The woman finds him attractive and the man also finds her attractive.
-The man does something that completely puts off any attraction the woman has towards the man.
-Thus, he is put into her friend-zone without being able to come back.

It could be that ONE thing you dislike in another, or a big pet peeve. Like if you dislike smokers. You might fine a sexy man or handsome woman you see desirable, but instantly put them in a friend like zone once they pull out a cigarette.

Yeah?

Well...if by "friend zone" you mean something totally different to the usual definition of "friend zone"...pushing it a bit though.

thaluikhain:

Rose and Thorn:

snipppppppp

Well...if by "friend zone" you mean something totally different to the usual definition of "friend zone"...pushing it a bit though.

But, wikipedia says
:where one person wishes to enter into a romantic relationship, while the other does not.
:Once the friend zone is established, it is said to be difficult to move beyond that point in a relationship.

What is the usual definition of the friend zone? I am honestly curious. I hear about it but never get into those kind of conversations usually.

I mean anything other then what I mentioned would just be, he is into her, but she isn't into him, therefore she says, "well we can be friends...", all the while he is still trying to woo her, and that certainly exists.

During the average human life, you will consume 70 assorted bugs as well as 10 spiders as you sleep.

TizzytheTormentor:
The friend-zone doesn't exist *huge gasp*

The friend zone exists, it's just overused by antisocial 9Gag'rs

Example, a friend of mine just got friend zoned. He met this girl at a party, and they hung out a couple times in large groups, and my friend started to like her. But when he asked her out she said she liked him as a friend.

If that's not being friend zoned, I don't know what is

TizzytheTormentor:

You REALLY had to start this?
REALLY?
Bringin up the friendzone?
Yeah, you deserve the fire coming your way.

Making an atomic bomb is fairly easy. The problem is obtaining the Uranium-235.

Calibanbutcher:

TizzytheTormentor:

You REALLY had to start this?
REALLY?
Bringin up the friendzone?
Yeah, you deserve the fire coming your way.

Yeah, I just felt the need to say it, I forgot how badly people think of the friendzone around here...

Hopefully, the edit I put down will stop people telling me how wrong I am...

Mr. Goldchain:
During the average human life, you will consume 70 assorted bugs as well as 10 spiders as you sleep.

And a 2 second google search proves that this is utter bullshit

http://www.cracked.com/article_16241_the-6-most-frequently-quoted-bullsh2At-statistics.html

http://www.burkemuseum.org/spidermyth/myths/whileyousleep.html

Dogs are color-blind, but they don't see black and white. They see (I think) shades of blue and yellow, so if you were to throw a red ball into the green, freshly cut grass, your puppy might have a hard time finding it. Buy a blue ball next time.

MetalDooley:

Mr. Goldchain:

http://www.cracked.com/article_16241_the-6-most-frequently-quoted-bullsh2At-statistics.html

It scares me that you only bolded the spiders half of that.
Oh god I don't want to eat bugs...

Dire Sloth:
It scares me that you only bolded the spiders half of that.
Oh god I don't want to eat bugs...

Haven't you ever accidently swallowed a bug while walking/cycling?It's pretty common so I imagine that the figure of 70 in a lifetime isn't far off the mark

The reason I only bolded the spider part is because that's the part that's nonsense

MetalDooley:

Mr. Goldchain:

Whew! I'm glad that isn't true. I just pulled it off some random list of bizarre facts that I Googled in about two seconds.

Mr. Goldchain:

Hahaha! You silly person! Why would I wait until I'm asleep?

The Whale is not a fish, it's acutally a mammal (or however you spell that)

Guffe:

I still can't believe people don't know this. Live birth is a (general/one of many) staple(s) of being a mammal. Breathing air kinda makes them not fish, also. It's an early grade-school lesson.

Anyway...

Most books made before the 1850's you find are probably in much better condition than those made after, as acid paper wasn't used before then. It became much cheaper to use acidic paper, so most books now degrade quite quickly.

It is really kind of fascinating to put two books side-by-side and see the difference. The feel is also quite different.

Also, another obvious one, keep books out of the sun.

And on a gross note... those people that love the smell of old books? They're smelling book dust. Which is degraded paper, acid, glue, dead bugs, mold, mice droppings, and dead human skin. That's the coctail that produces that "lovely" smell.

Books are disgusting, people. I scrub my hands many times a day.

Pretty well-known fact: Alexander Hamilton was killed in a duel with Aaron Burr.

Slightly lesser-known (and disputed)fact: Hamilton did not want to kill Burr, so he fired his pistol into the air.

Pretty obscure fact that may illuminate the situation: The pair of dueling pistols involved belonged to Hamilton. Of these pistols, both of which are still intact and owned my JPMorgan Chase, one is a hair-trigger pistol. It is possible that there was a misfire which caused the pistol to fire earlier, but one theory (the one I support) is that Hamilton was nervous and pulled the trigger too soon. (These pistols had a long warm-up time, which could last up to two or three seconds without a hair-trigger, so he wouldn't have been used to it.)

Did I mention I'm studying to be a historian?

Female ferrets can die from a lack of sex.

IndomitableSam:

Guffe:

I still can't believe people don't know this. Live birth is a (general/one of many) staple(s) of being a mammal. Breathing air kinda makes them not fish, also. It's an early grade-school lesson.

Pitching in there, although generally associated live birth is in fact NOT something specifically mammalian. Various fish give live birth, seahorses but also a few reptiles and arachnids for example. There's even one species of shark that has something equal to a placenta.
On the other hand mammarial glands, hence the name, and thereby suckling the young IS specific.
It is still no excuse to think whales are fish since it's probably the first thing you learn about them in kindergarten but anyway.

On an unrelated note, pandas have a secondary evolved sixth finger and we had one of those fact threads about a week ago.

It's legal to be topless in New York

Guffe:

you spell it actually.

As for bizarre facts, the idea that every single atom that has ever existed on earth was once in the belly of a giant star is pretty crazy.

Fun Fact: Vayne has statistically the highest amount of Pentakills within the entire Champion pool in LoL. With Katarina being around 2nd or 3rd.

Oh and I would guess that the Friend Zone does exist, even if it isn't as prominent as half the Internet makes it seem. Despite my experience with women being between fuck and all my opinion is still valid!

This huge F-Zone lark can't be all nonsense when there's this huge amount of stuff surrounding it

Shepards armour is Mass Effect was originally going to be white, however they decided to change it to coal black because it made him/her "it looked more medic than a solder"

Fun fact: All 'fun facts' are actually completely made up, making this sentence brainhurtingly illogical.

- Echidnas are the only creature known to star exclusively in Sonic the Hedgehog games.*

- You've probably never seen a baby seagull and probably never will.*

-The collective noun for nightingales is 'a watch of nightingales' which, coincidentally, is the most amazing name a novel could ever have.&

- Kinder Eggs are the only egg-shaped chocolate that exists at all times of the year.*

-The average UK citizen will have sex three times a month...
...With me. &

(* - As far as I know)
(& - Absolute truth)

Nintendo wasn't founded as a videogame company. Among their ventures are playing cards, instant rice packets, a tv-station, a taxi company, and a love hotel chain.

In the same vein, Nokia makes rubber boots and tires.

The Ratchet and Clank Games are the only western developed games that reached number 1 in Japanese markets. That's about the only thing I got that will not be overused.

Edit. You know what I am going to say the last time I checked.

Altorin:

Guffe:

you spell it actually.

HAHAHAHAAHHAAAAA!!!
Oh Jesus it took me like 30 seconds to get that but when I saw it I just burst out in laugh xD
You just owned me big time mate :D

Lionsfan:

TizzytheTormentor:

Example, a friend of mine just got friend zoned. He met this girl at a party, and they hung out a couple times in large groups, and my friend started to like her. But when he asked her out she said she liked him as a friend.

I think that's called "being let down easy".

I don't like the concept of the Friend Zone, half the time I see it on the internet, it makes the women look like huge bitches, when really they're either completely oblivious to it, or they just don't want to date someone but still like them as a person. >_>

OT: The only fact I can think of is "A ducks penis is a spiral, like a screw." Which I got from QI.

There is, and will always be, fecal matter in your laundry. Biological life is filthy, deal with it.

The meteor that ruins it for everyone in Rage is apparently real, and it does drunkenly stumble a bit too close to Earth's comfort zone at times.

Gustav III, king of Sweden, was the first head of state in the world to officially reckognise the United States in 1777. There is also preserved 18'th century Rule 34 starring him. Some things never change, do they?

Pinkamena:
Making an atomic bomb is fairly easy. The problem is obtaining the Uranium-235.

Too true.

I had to break into the White House, meet and then later assassinate no less than eight 'contacts' and...

I mean, yes, I have heard that can be fairly difficult.

OT: Ayn Rand always opposed free/assisted healthcare plans due to her Objectivist nature. However, in her later years, she applied to Medicare under her husband's name to avoid her hypocrisy coming to light.

Damn wench.

sky14kemea:

Lionsfan:

TizzytheTormentor:

I think that's called "being let down easy".

I don't like the concept of the Friend Zone, half the time I see it on the internet, it makes the women look like huge bitches, when really they're either completely oblivious to it, or they just don't want to date someone but still like them as a person. >_>

Yeah. I'm surprised it hasn't become social convention for women to wear shirts or get tattoos saying 'I reserve the right to refuse to date anyone regardless of whether I treat them pleasantly'.

I'd say the only time someone should get annoyed about being 'strung along' or something is if the girl outright lied and claimed romantic feelings at some point. Which I have seen happen.

Binnsyboy:

Yeah. I'm surprised it hasn't become social convention for women to wear shirts or get tattoos saying 'I reserve the right to refuse to date anyone regardless of whether I treat them pleasantly'.

I'd say the only time someone should get annoyed about being 'strung along' or something is if the girl outright lied and claimed romantic feelings at some point. Which I have seen happen.

That I'd completely agree with.

I just think that if males are only being friends with a girl to boink them, maybe they should just tell the girl they can't be friends. :/

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked