My entire life was changed by one song.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Sometimes, you just stumble onto something greater than yourself.

There I was, crawling through the streets of our grottos, being spat upon by the rich, poor, hobos, and polar bears of the Canadian Wastes alike, below any attention whatsoever from anyone or anything. I was a bottom feeder, scum, an untouchable, a Britney Spears impersonator, whatever you want to call it.

And I crawled into a church, I raised my hands up over the altar, and begged for God to give me a sign (and then I was clubbed by a horrified minister and cast into the gutter).

And then, as I lay in that gutter, my worthless tears mixing with the salty snow and giving me a terrible stinging in the eye, a teen walked by with a boombox. He was yelling things about God being a scam, something about sheeple, and other things like that, as well as lifting his boombox over his head and blaring a song at the church building.

The song changed my life.

I crawled right the hell out of that gutter, I kissed the extremely confused teen right on his beautiful face, and fled to the nearest library to listen to the song in its entirety. I managed to finish the whole thing before the police arrived.

And now, I am a productive member of society who designs programs that make computer scientists weep with joy, volunteer to help people such as my previous self, and pat children on the head as I rescue them from the polar bears that roam the Canadian Wastes. It's a wonderful life, it really is. And it was all started by this one song:

So please, Escapists. Tell me of songs such as this one that changed your life.

Wow... man, that's some good shit. I'm in awe, actually.

Still, nothing compares to the life-changing moment that was brought on by the following piece of genius. My ears were never the same again:

That song got me interested in rock & helped motivate me start learning the guitar...

....and I think this is the song (or more accurately, the whole Nymphetamine album) that originally got me into metal. And metal is now a huge part of my life, and I don't go a week without listening to it.

edit: forgot the most important life changer of all

The lotus flower of lyrics contained within this taught me everything I know about love.

And of course I'd be loathe to not include this ancient traditional Irish ballad.

Has to be the theme to Howl's Moving Castle - The Merry Go Round of Life

Seriously, all I can see when I listen to this song is the universe exploding a glorious silent flame, it's just so beautiful

I can honestly say 'brokeNCYDE "Freaxxx" is the worst song I have ever heard.

I don't hate many things, but when I do, it sounds like that. I just threw up.

When I heard this song, it just transformed me into such a polite guy, never asking anything but always giving to others. A lovely little bundle of love and caring :) I owe my life to it. <3

P.S, hope posting this doesn't get me banned or something...

Ironically, the song I'm listening to reflects my fantasy for people like that.

As for songs that changed me in some way, I'd have to say a majority of Tool's work.

I'm not sure, but I think I've actually gone into a trace listening to Lateralus before. Good times really.

Hero in a half shell:
The lotus flower of lyrics contained within this taught me everything I know about love.

And of course I'd be loathe to not include this ancient traditional Irish ballad.

Hero in a half shell:

Props for anything relating to Bill Bailey.

For mine it didn't so much change my life as summarize it I heard this song and couldn't stop listening to it it took me a few days to work out why I loved it so much then I actually payed attention to the lyrics and it hit me like a brick.

It's the closing theme song from the cowboy bebop movie"knocking on heaven's door" it's called "gotta knock a little harder" and it's about somebody who through fear and mistrust locked out all other people from their life and when they finally realized that their self imposed isolation was probably far worse than what the humans put them through they found themselves completely unable to relate with them and are just begging for someone to reach out to them.

- edit - don't know why I've double quoted here I rechecked my submission and I am only seeing a single quote text so damned if I know why that is

First song that got me into rap music. That's why I pretty much consider most (if not all) mainstream rap to be shit, albeit blindly. Underground, yo! Oh, and how this song appeals to my struggles throughout childhood and while they seem petty now they were the necessary frustrations that taught me how to grow up and be the man that I am today. But mostly the rap part.

Rose and Thorn:
I can honestly say 'brokeNCYDE "Freaxxx" is the worst song I have ever heard.

I don't hate many things, but when I do, it sounds like that. I just threw up.

Yeah, aside from Howl's Moving Castle Theme, Sunshine of your Love, and the Cowboy Bebop and funk songs up there, these are some pretty bad songs.

Anywho, my most life-changing song would have to be Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Suite.

Opened me up to a musical genre that has given me many lifetimes worth of joy. For a little cassette from Walgreens, that's not bad.

I've even still got the cassette somewhere around here.

EDIT: I like your avatar, Rose, what is it? Looks like part of a painting?

The song that changed my life has got to be.

It truly enlightened me and showed me all that was wrong with my life and how I should get back on track.

BathorysGraveland:

When I heard this song, it just transformed me into such a polite guy, never asking anything but always giving to others. A lovely little bundle of love and caring :) I owe my life to it. <3

P.S, hope posting this doesn't get me banned or something...

Man Spermswamp is the best band out there at the moment however personally I have to say I prefer this.

My god, that song will be considered a classic on par with Beethoven or the Beatles 2000 years from now, and be hailed as a glorious sign of our worlds culture and intellegence for all the multiverse to behold.

(not sarcasam at all)

This song really "speaks" to me like it was written for me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdYWuo9OFAw

this song may have saved my life. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lObgLdtXYpU

This song got me started on a journey into prog rock/pyschelic/space rock that continually reveals awesome and epic music for my ears and mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7Y3OjC-Ryc this song introduced me to epic power metal and metal in general really as before this most of what I was listening to was either awful Christian rock or my chemical Romance, this song opened my eyes and I've been a diehard metal head ever since

It was possibly this exact video that made the difference, nonetheless, 'twas the same topic.
It was middle school, and it sucked. Depression and the like, and I found myself listening to some emo, whiny songs where they bitched about their problems. Due to my interest with Dawn of War, and how I had seen some Warhammer books at Borders, I searched Youtube, and this showed up.
Not only was it thrilling, but the idea was rather revolutionary for me at the time. That, instead of complaining and sulking, one would push on against the tyranny (We slay the dragon) , through the pain (we sacrifice our blood), for a greater future (...it's time to raise our king, we made it happen.). And, by the Emperor, did I ever decided to fight on, bringing me into the Cynical Optimist that I am today.

Song:

Story:
When I was in High School I lived under the roof of a VERY over-protective family. I wasn't allowed out past like 7 (despite having my license and a job, which I got as a birthday present... yeah). And any entertainment that I got (Music, Games, Movies, etc.) all had to be approved by them.

Needless to say, the only songs/bands I was really exposed to were Country artists, which I couldn't stand, and anything on the radio. Back in the 2000s EVERYTHING I heard sounded the same, I had heard a few of their songs that I didn't like back than. (Favor House and Blood Red Summer). It wasn't until I heard "Welcome Home" By them that I decided to buy an album. I bought IKSoSE:3 and GAIBS4, and the first song on IKoSE:3 was one of the first songs that I heard that really made me appreciate music.

Ever since than I have been in love with Coheed and Cambria, and I've also had a more open mind about music in general. I used to dislike the first songs I listed, and I loved Welcome Home, now it's the opposite.

It really didn't change my life, but it changed how I looked at music. It also made me want to learn to play guitar, and made me more comfortable with my own odd singing voice. Though I still wont sing in front of people without a few drinks.

Well that song certainly changed my life. Never again will I take the curiosity to listen to BrokenCYDE. (The hell kind of name is that anyway, what does it even mean? It's just random letters!)

Seriously, I lasted all of about 2 seconds. In fact, it was so bad, I won't even hurl abuse at Jedward, Justin Beiber or any of the X Factor monkeys. Even Rebecca Black isn't that bad. The people in that Band actually wrote and performed that stuff and thought it was a good idea. At least the rest are only "performing" it. It's like they've tried so hard to be hardcore that they've managed to loop back round into being a critical mass of looking like a dickhead.

I listen to some of those Spermswamp songs because my curiosity got the better of me.

Can someone please explain to me, what i just listened to? That just makes absolutley no sense, but i had my laughs at least :P

Pink Floyd. Ever since my friend died, a lot of their songs have really resonated with me.

I don't think I'll ever stop wishing he were here.

Linkin Park got me into the metal genre with "In the End" was like.. never heard anything this awesome before

All That Remains took the step a notch further, into MetalCore and then.. it just escalated into death metal, speed, power, thrash and so on... i discovered the metal world. :)

Far be it from me to doubt the possibility of a song being interpreted as what-have-you; from all the above posts, it is abundantly clear that the notion holds some water, at least in non-absolute terms.

Ah well, I'll stick to things with more...metaphysical value.

As for anything 'life-changing', I've managed to do well on my own part for that. I've always felt as though having one's life changed by some foreign entity, such as a song or a speaker or what-have-you, would make one inclined to feel as though he or she owed something to it. I prefer to be above such dependencies.

Jeez, I can only imagine what sort of a response I'll get for that. Let it be said that I put my little disclaimer up at the top of the post! I don't doubt these testimonies at all, on the record.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ this song is honestly one of the most influential songs on my way through high school. Got me through some tough days.

But on a more serious note:

Growing up in my town all we had to listen to was soft country since that was the only radio we had to listen to. But I listened to Metallica and it really expanded my taste into genres I didn't even know existed. Others as I grew up more were Linkin Park (the song numb and faint mostly) and, more embarassingly, Good Charlotte.

This song is fairly recent but it really got me into actually paying attention to music in video games.

A combination of these two songs indirectly changed my life.

They are two songs that convinced my friend to finally sit down and watch My Little Pony Friendship is Magic. And in turn he was eventually able to convince me to watch it and now I have ponies around my computer. Didn't see that coming.

What the hell is going on in here? I can't tell if you guys are being serious with some of the songs you post...

Well clearly the OP is on something. Probably the weed or the kush or the purple or whatever you kids are snorting these days. Every sober man knows good music died in the 70s and to that end this is a truly good piece.

And this work of art

And finally.

The 70s, man. Nothing but class and immaculate quality. There was ne'er a better decade.

Yeah this one's pretty easy for me I think :P

I've never been able to get enough of goo goo dolls stuff.

it just makes my heart happy

I don't know if I'd say that this song has changed my life, but I always come back to it. It's the perfect expression of how I feel most of the time. Lonely, wondering why I'm so lonely, while acknowledging all the reasons I am the way I am. I feel trapped in my own little cycle of self-pity that stems entirely from me and my simultaneous desire to be left alone and to have some meaningful connection.

I guess it helped me realize that.

I can't point to particular songs that straight-up changed my life, but there's one song that I found recently that's absolutely left me astounded:

Seriously, Asura's Wrath seems to have gone by more or less unnoticed by much of the gaming community, yet it has an amazing story and a phenomenal score.

Every song ever, because I'm boring and philosophical like that :P.

lacktheknack:
snip

That song! I remember that song. It was universally hated here xD. I swear a million of its views was from here >.>.

This song... it's so deep. It inspired me in many ways and made me into a better person. I now do charity and shit.

*crys* It's so deep!

White Lightning:
What the hell is going on in here? I can't tell if you guys are being serious with some of the songs you post...

I second that.

Man, I'm glad you guys introduced me to BrokeNCYDE, Spermswamp, and Linken Park.

Probably the two songs that have enriched and enlightened me the most:

And of course some Pink Floyd

It's amazing how much a simple arrangement of notes and words can change you. Make you more than you thought possible.

Daft Punk- One More Time

It change my life as in finally have a music type to prefer among the other type. Before that there were a few music I liked but none to make me to pick that type as my favourite. To this day Dance music is still my favourite including Daft Punk.

lacktheknack:
Sometimes, you just stumble onto something greater than yourself.

There I was, crawling through the streets of our grottos, being spat upon by the rich, poor, hobos, and polar bears of the Canadian Wastes alike, below any attention whatsoever from anyone or anything. I was a bottom feeder, scum, an untouchable, a Britney Spears impersonator, whatever you want to call it.

And I crawled into a church, I raised my hands up over the altar, and begged for God to give me a sign (and then I was clubbed by a horrified minister and cast into the gutter).

And then, as I lay in that gutter, my worthless tears mixing with the salty snow and giving me a terrible stinging in the eye, a teen walked by with a boombox. He was yelling things about God being a scam, something about sheeple, and other things like that, as well as lifting his boombox over his head and blaring a song at the church building.

The song changed my life.

I crawled right the hell out of that gutter, I kissed the extremely confused teen right on his beautiful face, and fled to the nearest library to listen to the song in its entirety. I managed to finish the whole thing before the police arrived.

And now, I am a productive member of society who designs programs that make computer scientists weep with joy, volunteer to help people such as my previous self, and pat children on the head as I rescue them from the polar bears that roam the Canadian Wastes. It's a wonderful life, it really is. And it was all started by this one song:

So please, Escapists. Tell me of songs such as this one that changed your life.

Did this song change your life for the better? Seriously.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked