I actually don't like the "permabanned" avatar swap

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

It's needlessly demeaning. I mean, sure, I could get behind gloating, but I'd do it in a classy way, you know, stroking a goatee and a kitten.

Okay, what I'm trying to say here is I don't see a purpose behind it except for going "FUCK YEAH, BITCHSLAPPED!" at someone who can't defend. And that I see a user avatar as a rather personal thing, an extension of one's forum personality, and it's rude to mess with that. So they should have behaved so they don't get permabanned and they won't have that problem, you say? Sure, I suppose there's some truth in that. But adding insult to injury is childish.

That, and I haven't been permabanned and still have a problem with it...

Rant over.

You act as if people who get banned have been killed or something. Its just another little punishment to further discourage others from getting themselves banned.

Vegosiux:
I see a user avatar as a rather personal thing, an extension of one's forum personality, and it's rude to mess with that.

I think its fair to assume than anyone who has gotten themselves banned has been more than a little rude, they shouldn't expect to receive any better in return. Besides, its not like they are going to be using their 'forum personality' much in the future, being banned and all, so why does it matter?

Honestly, its not a big deal, it isn't necessary but its somewhat amusing and doesn't hurt or offend anyone. Find something to hate that's worth hating. Sure, there's a hint of gleeful police brutality in it but its seriously not an issue.

SlaveNumber23:

Honestly, its not a big deal, it isn't necessary but its somewhat amusing and doesn't hurt or offend anyone.

Wanna bet on that? Gonna be the easiest money I'll ever make *grin*

Find something to hate that's worth hating.

Can you direct me to your peer-reviewed and published version of "Things worth hating"? I mean, you speak as if you are an authority on the subject, and I'll always take an expert's opinion over my own in their area of expertise.

Look, you disagree with what I said, fine, no problem with that, but please don't tell me what I can or can't take an issue with.

Vegosiux:

Find something to hate that's worth hating.

Can you direct me to your peer-reviewed and published version of "Things worth hating"? I mean, you speak as if you are an authority on the subject, and I'll always take an expert's opinion over my own in their area of expertise.

Look, you disagree with what I said, fine, no problem with that, but please don't tell me what I can or can't take an issue with.

I didn't mean that literally, just expressing how insignificant of an issue it is.

I don't like it either, it reduces my chances of recognizing the person who got banned.

I do not know any permabanned individuals so I have no idea what it looks like.
On another note why not just make it an overlay?
I pictured something like a police line placed diagonally across the avatar with "PERMABANNED" written on it. Seems like it'll be best of both worlds, a warning for the others and the user (though banned) still keeps their avatar is some way.

TopazFusion:
You can just go to their profile to see what their avatar used to be.

And anyway, it's not like they're going to be posting all around everywhere with that avatar. You'll only see it on very recent bans, or on thread necros.

For those who don't know what the OP is talking about . . .

What about the people who get their profiles deleted?
Besides I end up on old threads quite often, not sure how either it just happens.
I don't actually care much at all but it's a minor annoyance.

Keoul:
I do not know any permabanned individuals so I have no idea what it looks like.
On another note why not just make it an overlay?
I pictured something like a police line placed diagonally across the avatar with "PERMABANNED" written on it. Seems like it'll be best of both worlds, a warning for the others and the user (though banned) still keeps their avatar is some way.

That sounds like too much work over taking care of respecting banned people, though I guess a lot of them have friends, I still talk with one person who got banned so I guess maybe it's something that may bother friends of banned people, personally don't mind the avatar change that much, really hate it when the account gets deleted though.

I feel pretty dumb for asking this, what is it from?
The GIF that they use, I honestly don't know what it is, is it from a movie or something?

I don't mind it so much.

Although one thing I noticed is how inconsistent it is from person to person. I used to never see it (even though other people could), then I saw it for some bans but not others, now I see it every time. There are still some people that don't see it at all. I don't get why that happens :/

Kaleion:

That sounds like too much work over taking care of respecting banned people, though I guess a lot of them have friends, I still talk with one person who got banned so I guess maybe it's something that may bother friends of banned people, personally don't mind the avatar change that much, really hate it when the account gets deleted though.

Perhaps, but then what's the point of the avatar swap anyway?
If they're gunna change their avatars may as well do a good job.

Well it's immature, but ultimately harmless. To be honest, I doubt people who get banned would really give a fuck about it anyway. It's just a silly thing.

Love how the title of this thread is phrased, like someone actually cared to ask you if liked it or not _

What does it matter? The person is permabanned. As far as I'm concerned, if they couldn't avoid getting banned after 8 warnings then they're not a part of this community anymore.

Eh, doesn't bother me, if the person kept breaking the code of conduct, they pretty much deserve it. It's not like it takes away their identity, it's just a forum avatar.

TizzytheTormentor:
Eh, doesn't bother me, if the person kept breaking the code of conduct, they pretty much deserve it. It's not like it takes away their identity, it's just a forum avatar.

Pretty much this and I think the vast majority of the community would say as much.

I quite like it, I think they should expand and have other permabanned gifs on the go. To be honest you get fair warnings and the code of conduct is on the front page of the forums.

Read it. Remember it applies to user groups and live chat too (some good Escapists fell to that!). Don't be a douche and don't low content. In as long as I've been here (probably over a year now? idk)I've had one warning and it was for low content, now I have a clean record again. To be honest, it's pretty hard to get yourself banned and you probably deserved it.

Daystar Clarion:
Love how the title of this thread is phased, like someone actually cared to ask you if liked it or not _

What does it matter? The person is permabanned. As far as I'm concerned, if they couldn't avoid getting banned after 8 warnings then they're not a part of this community anymore.

If it doesn't matter, then why change the avatar in the first place? If it didn't matter, the mods would just ban the person and be done with it. It comes off as immature and unprofessional, all for the sake of going "hurr durr permaban gif XD".

SkarKrow:

Read it. Remember it applies to user groups and live chat too (some good Escapists fell to that!). Don't be a douche and don't low content. In as long as I've been here (probably over a year now? idk)I've had one warning and it was for low content, now I have a clean record again. To be honest, it's pretty hard to get yourself banned and you probably deserved it.

Why are you telling me this? I'm not banned, obviously? Yet I would still very much prefer to keep seeing the real avatars of people that were, even the ones I'd have shoved out the door with pleasure myself.

What's that? "Tough luck, bro"? Oh yea. The universal answer isn't it. *eyeroll*

wintercoat:

Daystar Clarion:
Love how the title of this thread is phased, like someone actually cared to ask you if liked it or not _

If it doesn't matter, then why change the avatar in the first place? If it didn't matter, the mods would just ban the person and be done with it. It comes off as immature and unprofessional, all for the sake of going "hurr durr permaban gif XD".

I dunno, because it's funny I guess?

I know humour is subjective, but I smile when I see the GIF under the name of some user who still can't behave themselves after 8 warnings.

Vegosiux:
It's needlessly demeaning. I mean, sure, I could get behind gloating, but I'd do it in a classy way, you know, stroking a goatee and a kitten.

For what it's worth I've had the same opinion for some time now. Some guy in a hospital bed being slapped around? That's fairly crass.

wintercoat:

Removing avatars of permbanned peoples saves space on the server, and would cut time down on queries done in the database.

Daystar Clarion:

wintercoat:

Daystar Clarion:

I know humour is subjective, but I smile when I see the GIF under the name of some user who still can't behave themselves after 8 warnings.

It's hard to take mods, and by proxy the rules they enforce, seriously when they demean someone who was banned "for teh lulz".

And for the record, it's not just people who were banned for breaking the rules who's avatar's change, it's also those that personally ask for the ban. Lilani, for example.

JEBWrench:

wintercoat:

Removing avatars of permbanned peoples saves space on the server, and would cut time down on queries done in the database.

But their avatar isn't replaced, it's overlayed. As was mentioned by someone else, not everyone sees it. If anything, it'll take up more space. If space was an issue, they'd disable the banned accounts avatar.

Vegosiux:

SkarKrow:

Why are you telling me this? I'm not banned, obviously? Yet I would still very much prefer to keep seeing the real avatars of people that were, even the ones I'd have shoved out the door with pleasure myself.

What's that? "Tough luck, bro"? Oh yea. The universal answer isn't it. *eyeroll*

I wasn't telling you specifically. If you can't follow the forum rules you'll eventually get banned, that's how it goes. Why should changing their avatar be such a big deal to you? Does it really have such a profound effect on you?

It's not a case of tough luck at all, it's a case of if you break the rules, take the punishment. The punishment involves a comedic replacement of your avatar.

Here's another thing: once permabanned, you won't be seeing their avatars around much anyway. I wonder why that might be?

Vegosiux:

Okay, what I'm trying to say here is I don't see a purpose behind it except for going "FUCK YEAH, BITCHSLAPPED!" at someone who can't defend. And that I see a user avatar as a rather personal thing, an extension of one's forum personality, and it's rude to mess with that. So they should have behaved so they don't get permabanned and they won't have that problem, you say? Sure, I suppose there's some truth in that. But adding insult to injury is childish.

Rant over.

well, it could be worse:

Daystar Clarion:
Love how the title of this thread is phrased, like someone actually cared to ask you if liked it or not _

on the other side we have seen people who were permabanned rise from their graves.

Daystar Clarion:

wintercoat:

Daystar Clarion:

I get a warm fuzzy feeling when I see the gif under the name of somebody who's been douching up the forums for a few weeks too long and finally got theirs.

Daystar Clarion:

Not actually 8, there are warnings more severe than others. just for opening a low content topic I raised 4 freaking bars.

SkarKrow:

I wasn't telling you specifically. If you can't follow the forum rules you'll eventually get banned, that's how it goes. Why should changing their avatar be such a big deal to you? Does it really have such a profound effect on you?

It's not a case of tough luck at all, it's a case of if you break the rules, take the punishment. The punishment involves a comedic replacement of your avatar.

Here's another thing: once permabanned, you won't be seeing their avatars around much anyway. I wonder why that might be?

Okay, and when are you going to address the question of someone who's actually still around here, not banned, and not likely to be banned anytime soon, and still not liking to see those gifs?

Because I've been asking that one for a while now.

EDIT: Oh and also, I'd very much appreciate if people stayed away from the appeal to worse problems fallacy.

Vegosiux:

Rant over.

I've gotta go with the first response and say it seems like a pretty silly thing to get upset/offended about.

Granted, I think the vast majority of things that people claim offend them are silly because I really hate Political Correctness, but that's just me.

As for the people getting permabanned...yeah, it's not like they're going to be making any new posts with an avatar that's been forced onto them. Their life on the forum is over...think of the permabanned avatar as a tombstone, not an insult. "Here lies one who could not obey the simple rules of the forum." You say the avatar is an extension of someone's personality on the forum. That I can agree with. But if they've been permabanned, their personality has officially left the forum...you won't be hearing from that personality again. In a matter of days the last posts they made will become buried and you won't be seeing their avatar - their real one or the changed one - anymore. So why bother getting upset over something that won't even be around in a couple days?

EDIT:

Vegosiux:
Okay, and when are you going to address the question of someone who's actually still around here, not banned, and not likely to be banned anytime soon, and still not liking to see those gifs?

Because I've been asking that one for a while now.

The easy answer is "Cry me a river then build a bridge and get over it." :P

wintercoat:

JEBWrench:

wintercoat:

But their avatar isn't replaced, it's overlayed. As was mentioned by someone else, not everyone sees it. If anything, it'll take up more space. If space was an issue, they'd disable the banned accounts avatar.

Just throwing out a suggestion as to why. Given that the majority of the work is client-side, having a convenient way to narrow down any queries could be considered proper form.

How is this even an issue? Wow. People find the weirdest things to bitch about.

I don't mind the avatar swap, but I do wish it could be something slightly more refined. Something like a black box with white text reading,

"Dear Sir or Madam, you have been banned

Hugs and Kisses
-Mods" That would be nice.

Mr.PlanetEater:
I don't mind the avatar swap, but I do wish it could be something slightly more refined. Something like a black box with white text reading,

"Dear Sir or Madam, you have been banned

Hugs and Kisses
-Mods" That would be nice.

Nay, good Sir! It should be a picture of a 40 being poured out on the sidewalk for the passing of our former homies.

You don't like it, eh? Fair enough.

I don't like that you don't like it. Seems a silly thing to get so bent-out-of-shape over.

Now where are we?

RJ 17:
The easy answer is "Cry me a river then build a bridge and get over it." :P

Whoa. And there it is, ladies and gentlemen. /thread

Daystar Clarion:

What he said.
They're banned. They gave up the right to bitch about anything.

It took me ages to figure out that people had their avatar changed to that when they got banned, I just figured there was a bunch of dickheads with that obnoxious avatar that all had just happened to have been banned.

EDIT: Oh god, my precious non-avatar. Destroyed. This is the worst day of my life.

Weird. I've never seen that avatar before. I've even clicked on a banned persons profile once or twice and still haven't seen it before.

I have to agree with the OP though, it does seem rather petty and unnecessary.

It seems like it's somewhat unsportsmanlike to make fun of someone after they've been banned.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked