I actually don't like the "permabanned" avatar swap

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Vegosiux:

SkarKrow:

I wasn't telling you specifically. If you can't follow the forum rules you'll eventually get banned, that's how it goes. Why should changing their avatar be such a big deal to you? Does it really have such a profound effect on you?

It's not a case of tough luck at all, it's a case of if you break the rules, take the punishment. The punishment involves a comedic replacement of your avatar.

Here's another thing: once permabanned, you won't be seeing their avatars around much anyway. I wonder why that might be?

Okay, and when are you going to address the question of someone who's actually still around here, not banned, and not likely to be banned anytime soon, and still not liking to see those gifs?

Because I've been asking that one for a while now.

EDIT: Oh and also, I'd very much appreciate if people stayed away from the appeal to worse problems fallacy.

Well pretty much that's your problem. You're the only person I've seen get bent out of shape over it, everyone else seems to take the joke with some kind of mild mannered humour.

Deal with it or complain to an admin about it. Complaining to us won't get you anywhere.

Edit: I can't help but feel that cat avatar thing going on here is a mod in-joke.

Sassafrass:
They're here.

And the avatar thing is kinda funny. Although I've known they've done this for a while, so. :p

Sassy no!? Now I'm gonna be on a Tomska binge again! >.<

RicoADF:
I find the image offensive and would like it changed as well, a clip of a child being slapped in the face is offensive, inappropriate and the action is also illegal. Under the forum rules any one of those points are good enough reason for removal.

Just have a tomb stone with "permabanned" on it, really quick and easy to do.

Now see that's actually an argument worth having. Saying that you don't like the image because it depicts child abuse is a much more valid complaint than "Well changing the person's avatar makes fun of people who will never be around here again so I don't like it."

I also find it completely inappropriate but looking at half the people who have been banned from this site, it's strangely fitting. I'm not surprised that Escapist mods would find it hilarious to gloat over banning someone who used ever-so-slightly heated language to argue against a perceived injustice in the R&P forum with a gif of a child in a hospital bed being physically abused. Stay classy Escapist.

I see nothing wrong with the permabanned avatar banned users get. When I first seen it I thought the person getting slapped was the main character from the TV show the Wonder Years.

DoPo:

JEBWrench:
snip

JEBWrench and DoPo have been favored by the gods!!! We must figure out what the gods want so we all may appease them!

Sorry, I must ask, idk if anyone else did but... Why is everyone's avatars cats in this thread. o.o

maybe I've missed something.. but everybody is the farkin miserable cat in this thread.

I kind of appreciate it, honestly. It expresses that most of the people who have gotten banned didn't get there from a single mistake in judgement or instance of misbehavior, but a sheer unwillingness to respect that their continued antics wouldn't be tolerated.

And, y'know, no actors were actually harmed in the making of this .GIF. So...

If it doesn't sit well with your sense of humor, or you genuinely think someone is making light of child abuse, you have my sympathies. But I'm clearly not in accord with the first, and I disagree with the sentiment of the second.

SkarKrow:

Vegosiux:

SkarKrow:

I wasn't telling you specifically. If you can't follow the forum rules you'll eventually get banned, that's how it goes. Why should changing their avatar be such a big deal to you? Does it really have such a profound effect on you?

It's not a case of tough luck at all, it's a case of if you break the rules, take the punishment. The punishment involves a comedic replacement of your avatar.

Here's another thing: once permabanned, you won't be seeing their avatars around much anyway. I wonder why that might be?

Okay, and when are you going to address the question of someone who's actually still around here, not banned, and not likely to be banned anytime soon, and still not liking to see those gifs?

EDIT: Oh and also, I'd very much appreciate if people stayed away from the appeal to worse problems fallacy.

Well pretty much that's your problem. You're the only person I've seen get bent out of shape over it, everyone else seems to take the joke with some kind of mild mannered humour.

Deal with it or complain to an admin about it. Complaining to us won't get you anywhere.

Edit: I can't help but feel that cat avatar thing going on here is a mod in-joke.

If you check the post before yours I've also complained, however my complaint is about the image itself rather than changing someone's avatar.

Darknacht:

DoPo:

JEBWrench:
snip

JEBWrench and DoPo have been favored by the gods!!! We must figure out what the gods want so we all may appease them!

Oh, fuck, lol! I don't even know what they want - I've been sacrificing a wide variety of things in their honour for quite a while now - a goat, a badger, a Christmas tree, a pair of jeans, a jar of cookies, a virgin (well, admittedly that was the goat), the script for Half-Life 3 which I stole from Valve, etc. I wasn't sure what they wanted, so I tried to cover all bases.

As a side note, may I suggest the grumpy cat treatment from now on for any thread that starts getting "heated"? Like, the sexism ones, the piracy ones, etc. And just enable it by default on R&P. It's better than closing the threads, I think.

It's a .gif. Of paid actors. With added text. Go cry to the mod team if you just can't hold back those salty tears of sorrow.

So this has nothing to do with the fact that to me, everyone's avatar looks like Tard the Grumpy Cat right now?

RicoADF:

SkarKrow:

Vegosiux:

If you check the post before yours I've also complained, however my complaint is about the image itself rather than changing someone's avatar.

I saw your post. Your complaint is perfectly valid seeing as you had a genuine issue with the image used. Not just a case of "Oh you've messed up the profile of some douche who'll never use it again!". Perhaps we could change to a different gif for similar effect without the child abuse?

The child abuse thing could be a problem but it doesn't bother me. Though real child abuse is a very bad thing indeed.

6th And Silver:
So this has nothing to do with the fact that to me, everyone's avatar looks like Tard the Grumpy Cat right now?

Only on this thread, I think a mod found the thread and changed everyones avatar to wind up the OP...

I find it rather sad when the staff of a supposedly professional website, like the Escapist, succumb to the effects of the G.I.F.T. I mean c'mon guys, aren't you supposed to be setting the example fro the rest of us?
I find this immature and more than a little hypocritical.

I don't like it much either, but WHY IS EVERYONE'S AVATAR THE GRUMPY CAT?!? DID I PRESS A BUTTON?!

6th And Silver:

I'm not even interested in the thread anymore, I just want me a sweet Tard avatar.

Please guys?

When i first came onto this site, i thought the permaban avi was a bit stupid, it just looks so immature, it reeks a little too much of gloating over someone who can't respond. I still think it's a little overboard, but less so now, i think i've largely stopped noticing it, about the only thing i look at with permabanned people is what they said to bring the banhammer down on them.

Also, why are all out avatars turned into the same grumpy cat?

SkarKrow:

RicoADF:

SkarKrow:

I saw your post. Your complaint is perfectly valid seeing as you had a genuine issue with the image used. Not just a case of "Oh you've messed up the profile of some douche who'll never use it again!". Perhaps we could change to a different gif for similar effect without the child abuse?

The child abuse thing could be a problem but it doesn't bother me. Though real child abuse is a very bad thing indeed.

Agreed, another image would work fine (weather gif or otherwise).
I vote for the cat, as I for one, welcome our new kitty overloards :-)

RicoADF:

SkarKrow:

RicoADF:

Agreed, another image would work fine (weather gif or otherwise).
I vote for the cat, as I for one, welcome our new kitty overloards :-)

Perhaps, I think a sad bulldog would be good too. Or a gif of Goku beating Frieza down.

It perplexes me when something that's done in light humour gets over-analysed to the point where people genuinely have their jimmies rustled...

Kind of ironic, now that I think about it.

Why is everyone's avatar a Cat?

Daystar Clarion:
It perplexes me when something that's done in light humour gets over-analysed to the point where people genuinely have their jimmies rustled...

I know, but you know how the internet rolls, it's srs bsn.

You know what we can do?

SING!

If you're grumpy cat and you know it, clap your hands!

*clap clap*

EDIT: LOL! Who ever changed my avatar to that, you are my hero. XD

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Daystar Clarion:

I know, but you know how the internet rolls, it's srs bsn.

You know what we can do?

SING!

If you're grumpy cat and you know it, clap your hands!

*clap clap*

I'm far too grumpy to clap my hands.

Controversy grumps!

Uh, okay, what's going on here? Why is everybody's avatar's kitties?
Is it a mod in-joke? Who did this?
Que thought bubble
00 0

SCORPION KING GUY, IS THIS YOUR DOING!? I SMELL SUCH ACTS FROM MILES OFF, TELL ME WHAT THOU HATH DONE!

(Yeah, I don't know any other mod other then Time Lord...)

Though, on topic, yeah, I find it mildly annoying myself. It seems fairly stupid, childish, even. I find it to be... well, annoying, a minor annoyance, at least.

To everyone complaining in this thread . . .

Seriously people, lighten up!

TopazFusion:
To everyone complaining in this thread . . .

Seriously people, lighten up!

I tried to start a light hearted song, and nothing happened. D:

Korten12:
Sorry, I must ask, idk if anyone else did but... Why is everyone's avatars cats in this thread. o.o

some one complained about changing avatars for permabanned member's, so the Mods, :D being well ... them, changed every ones avatars for this thread to that cat.

and
it
is
GLORIOUS!!

Daystar Clarion:

your a kitteh now :D

that in and of it self is worth all the people missing the jokes :D

I take offense to this. I am NOT a grumpy kitty! I am a furious kitty.

It's almost as if we're playing a reverse version of the Loading Ready Run "Kitty" thing. I'm waiting on one avatar being a human with a twirly moustache going "Curses you've foiled my nefarious plans"

OT: I must ask, is this really such a big issue?

And to that I say no. Because this is.

People complain that the gif and grumpy avatars are immature, but isn't it pretty immature to get so worked up about something so minor?

Why should the escapist have to be srs bsns all the time? "No fun allowed" sites are boring :/

Darknacht:

DoPo:

JEBWrench:
snip

I can't believe I'm actually saying this, but it's clear.

The gods want cheezburgers.

There needs to be a red button that turns other threads into this one. Hating on JB is getting old.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here