I actually don't like the "permabanned" avatar swap

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Daystar Clarion:
Love how the title of this thread is phrased, like someone actually cared to ask you if liked it or not _

What does it matter? The person is permabanned. As far as I'm concerned, if they couldn't avoid getting banned after 8 warnings then they're not a part of this community anymore.

What he said.
They're banned. They gave up the right to bitch about anything.

It took me ages to figure out that people had their avatar changed to that when they got banned, I just figured there was a bunch of dickheads with that obnoxious avatar that all had just happened to have been banned.

EDIT: Oh god, my precious non-avatar. Destroyed. This is the worst day of my life.

Weird. I've never seen that avatar before. I've even clicked on a banned persons profile once or twice and still haven't seen it before.

I have to agree with the OP though, it does seem rather petty and unnecessary.

It seems like it's somewhat unsportsmanlike to make fun of someone after they've been banned.

Just look at the rather, uh, colourful language you are allowed to use. Just look at pretty much any of us - except, say, Saint Daystar Clarion - who post here with little to no restraints - we use nasty words, foul language, some of us seem to have verbal diarrhea; we posit sometimes extreme and extremely unpopular viewpoints, and we don't get spanked for it, because it's but human to err in the melonfarming vocabulary department when emotions go high and we don't feel like it's a Borg suit'n'tie event.

Some of the bans seem harsh, when people get banned for one-liners or similar n00bish infractions. Then again, I must say that I myself am pretty sick of one-liners. Just look at pretty much any video or video sharing site, and you'll see an approximate 0.0001% of one-liners actually being funny, the rest being of the illiterate, propagandist or plain stupid kind. Granted, those still seem to be rare here, but replying to a thread with one line or just one word is not proper style, and I welcome it being discouraged.

As for perma-bans... I tried to keep a tab on those, and all I can say is this: Just from superficial analysis I can say that I have not seen any 'unfair' perma-bans. People were asking for it, and most of them have been hard working on making it happen. Some, amongst them some very active and outspoken non-meat-eating forum members, seemed pretty instant but having had a look at some of the material they posted actually saw me worried about their in-the-flesh, IRL proximity to humans, animals, plants and inanimate objects.

The moment you manage to get perma-banned, why would anyone want to hold on to their avatar, and why should they be allowed to prolong their negativist, obnoxious and toxic presence?

I've been privvy to some personal interaction with some of those that are no longer with us and, yes, I can confirm that none of them were proper evil, but it's most likely a stupid person that will run you over, rob you blind, shoot you dead, eat your dog or rape your horse. Proper evil is rather rare, and the Escapist forums are no exception to that rather simple fact of life.

Vegosiux:
I actually don't like the "permabanned" avatar swap

I thought the same. I think it's automatically applied to everyone who is banned. I could understand it if someone is banned for certain reasons (spambots, obvious trolling, horrible insults) but not everyone who is banned deserves that swap. Many people are banned just because their forum health meter slowly fills up with minor mistakes.

XP.

TopazFusion:
You can just go to their profile to see what their avatar used to be.

And anyway, it's not like they're going to be posting all around everywhere with that avatar. You'll only see it on very recent bans, or on thread necros.

For those who don't know what the OP is talking about . . .

That is immature and really stupid.
Real classy Escapist, real classy. __

EDIT: Escapist, what little respect I still had for you has just plummeted.

smithy_2045:
It took me ages to figure out that people had their avatar changed to that when they got banned, I just figured there was a bunch of dickheads with that obnoxious avatar that all had just happened to have been banned.

EDIT: Oh god, my precious non-avatar. Destroyed. This is the worst day of my life.

OOH! You filthy wordsmith from down below, you satanic whisperer, you lost soul from the abyss!

You bear the mark of evil! Begone, creature of the endless night! Thou shalt not poison our eternal souls with your disruptive ways!

Oh, and here's the captcha, added for emphasys:

live your dream

This sum up my thought on the OP-

Meh I have no sympathy to those who get banned anyway (seriously it's not hard to see the amount of warmings you get if you look at your health bar at your profile).

Those banned members didn't respect the mods, the guidlines/ rule set upon here and some other members opinions therefore they wouldn't be respected once they are banned (well ok some people did like a certain banned member but still). It's not like we are desecrating their gravestone.

Beside a few banned members had the default avatar if you don't get yourself an avatar anyway so it kind of given them a favour (how hard is it to pick something as a avatar? To me it look like that person couldn't bother to set one up.)

One way or another I bet this new avatar swap will add fuel that to that Escapist hating website.

EDIT- Great, you anger a mod well turned this silly thread to be even more funnier!

I don't object to the Digital Dunce Cap in principle, but I do think the chosen gif is a little crass and inappropriate, since although it's from a fictional TV series, the main humour hinges on the domestic abuse of a helpless child in a hospital bed. I wonder if another clip they considered was of a Pimp slapping his Ho for being late with his money.

If I was going to make a similar forum weapon from a video clip, I'd make a short 10 second clip from this:

"This will send you back to hell you ugly Troll!"

***Throws Banhammer***

Troll is smited.

Not only does it contain the use of word Troll and a magical Banhammer, but both participants are super-power endowed responsible adults who can easily take take the violence being dished out on them and are fully responsible for their actions.

It's whatever man, I actually get a kick out of the avatar swap. But I can see how you think it's demeaning, but the persona might as well not exist anymore anyway, it's not a huge deal, I'd say.

smithy_2045:

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. I was wondering why people getting banned all had the same weird looking guy as their avatar. An embarrassing amount of time later I considered "oh, I bet it gets changed." I wish the mods would consider the less intelligent members on the forums when they make decisions like that :p

Huh... Seems someone has been playing around with the avatars in this thread....

Engage Default Response Pattern Alpha One: Blame Kross

Also blame Louis and paulgruberman

TimeLord:
Huh... Seems someone has been playing around with the avatars in this thread....

The funny thing is that my avatar doesn't look all that different in this thread. Just a slightly more pissed off cat :P

I don't get it either.

Users who have been banned alrady have all their posts grayed out and the word "BANNED" in big red letters over their avatar.

So yeah, it does seem rather unnecessary.

Well played Mud.

OT: I like it, it's funny and harmless. And it keeps other people from doing stupid things, I mean who would want to have their avatar as a guy being permabanned? I don't think it's a big problem as you make it sound like.

Cats, cats everywhere!

I like the permbanned avater. It is funny.

I really don't mind it really, and it took me a while to actually see what avatar everyone was talking about.

Honestly, they're not gonna post here anymore after they were permabanned, so what do they care? Then again, they could have avoided the whole ordeal by not getting themselves in trouble while being here.

Also, grumpy is cat is grumpy. XD

Oh wow XD Took me a while to realise what was going on in this thread, but DAMMIT KROSS :P

What is this I don't even...

Well, at least it's not Bieber.

OT: I'm on board for permaban avatar swapping. People here seem to have an unhealthy attachment to their avatars, so more reason not to get banned I guess. However, I don't really care for the avatar they're using at the moment; So much potential here for hilarity and that gif wastes it.

The cat face used in this thread is way funnier.

TimeLord:

Oh my god, I laughed so hard, and I don't know who to attribute it to. I guess I'll just blame Kross out of principle, too.

> sees a thread complaining about changing avatars of banned people
> changes all avatars

Brilliant and damn funny at the same time! :D

Fappy:

TimeLord:

The funny thing is that my avatar doesn't look all that different in this thread. Just a slightly more pissed off cat :P

Yeah, but the problem is that everybody else now has the same avatar as yours.

To be perfectly honest, I've never once seen this avatar change. I'll have to look out for it now.

(Why is everyone's avatar the same here?)

DoPo:

You guys are all posers. You just wish you could be as cool and grumpy as me!

I just want to be a part of the grumpy kitty revolution!

Gotta say i haven`t seen the aforementioned swap before. Well, until someone in this thread posted the gif.
Haven`t seen anyone being banned for quite a while, i guess.
But yeah, I don`t think of this as a bad thing. Just something neutral, or "meh".

And yeah, a big part of why i posted in this thread is that everyone has a grumpy cat avatar. And Ive always wanted one, even if just for a single thread.

Okay, I am torn between being a grumpy cat or thinking "Well played, Escapist" for this grumpy cat swap thing.

I think I'll flip a coin, and with some luck it will land on edge.

Fappy:

DoPo:

Yeah, I'M GRUMPIER THAN YOU! So shaddup. The student has finally surpassed his master.

DoPo:

Fappy:

DoPo:

Yeah, I'M GRUMPIER THAN YOU! So shaddup. The student has finally surpassed his master.

If you strike me down I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine!

I really don't see what the big deal is. They're banned. Like others have said, they forfeited their forum rights. I find it mildly amusing. Not hilarious, just worth a small chuckle.

There are more important things to complain about. Like... Say... Every avatar in this thread being turned into a grumpy cat XD

Grumpy cat FTW!!

Fappy:

DoPo:

Fappy:

If you strike me down I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine!

In that case I will strike you up, so you become less powerful than I can possibly imagine. Erm, just let me come up with how exactly does "striking up" work.

Brilliant! Whichever mod was responsible for the avatar switching in this thread deserves a medal. Stay classy, 'Scapist.

DoPo:

Fappy:

DoPo:

In that case I will strike you up, so you become less powerful than I can possibly imagine. Erm, just let me come up with how exactly does "striking up" work.

Yeah you go ahead and work on that.

I'll just be over here.

Conquering the world.

DoPo:

TimeLord:

Oh my god, I laughed so hard, and I don't know who to attribute it to. I guess I'll just blame Kross out of principle, too.

> sees a thread complaining about changing avatars of banned people
> changes all avatars

Brilliant and damn funny at the same time! :D

That sounds like it could be a new meme! 'Scumbag Tech Team'? Or 'Lighthearted Tech Team' :P

Mind-swap!

You know, when I was new on the site and didn't know about the PERMABANNED image automatically taking over your avatar, I thought it was the same guy who just kept coming back with the same avatar.

Also, Why's everyone's avatar a cat?

strange ... every one seems to have the same, unamused cat avatar.

anyway, didn't know this was a thing, but chances are, if i stopped caring about being part of the site enough to warrant a permaban, i would probably stop caring what my avatar was.

catchpa:i like humans

we've met right catchpa?

I gotta say, I'm enjoying this grumpy cat avatar invasion, and wouldn't mind at all if it was applied across the entire escaptist website.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here