I actually don't like the "permabanned" avatar swap

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Is it just me or has everyone's avatar been replaced with image ?

Okay What's with the cat
I just came into the thread and thought it was one guy talking to himself

I also don't see the problem with someone who is permabanned having their avatar change, it's not like you'll see them post anyway.

...Why is everyone's avatar suddenly a cat?

uh?....how did this happen? somones Idea of a joke?

Permabanned avatar is funny and those who think otherwise could do with lightening up.

Also, I'm not sure what to think of the several pages of people going "OMG why does everyone have a cat avatar?" instead of taking a few seconds to read the thread and think about it.. I'm torn between 'Dafties' and 'Oh yeah: internet. I've been here before.'

I'm not grumpy, in fact I'm in quite a good mood. Although my avatar may suggest otherwise.

Scarim Coral:
I can't remember the exact site. (Maybe within a section in Encyclopedia Dramatica?) All I know is that the people who type out all the bad things they had said about this site were formers (banned) members from this site so that explain alot (the must of been butt hurt alot to dedicated that much hate into it).

The site was called the Dead Horse Interchange, it's still up but the forums are down because their coder is a monkey or lost interest. Funnily enough though the archives weren't made out of butthurt or rage, they were mostly made because the Escapist was a fairly good source of conversation material. I mean come on, the boards here are moderated in such a way that topics can be hidden from public scrutiny if they go along a line that the mods really don't like and the moderation was scattershot at best. But yeah, it really wasn't compiled as an exercise in rage, it was compiled for the fun of a group project. In fact if a user got way too obsessed they'd be asked to knock it off.

doggie015:
Is it just me or has everyone's avatar been replaced with image ?

Everybody, calm the fuck down and just blame Kross. Everything will be fine.

(I wonder how many people, after entering this thread and realizing the avatars are all a grumpy cat, scrambled to look at the other topics to see if this was a thing going on elsewhere)

Man this grumpy cat is almost as grumpy as my normal avatar.

As for the permaban avatar, don't really give a fuck, I find it funny, the person isn't around to use the profile anymore, no harm done.

Now to do what everyone should do for the avatars in this thread

Major site error. Grumpy cat avatar on all posts.

EVIL PLAN SUCCESSFUL! >:-D

OT- I don't care a single iota. Sucks for you if you didn't follow site rules.

Why is everybody a grumpy cat?

Queen Michael:
Why is everybody a grumpy cat?

Because someone decided to have a bit of fun in this thread and changed everyone's avatars.

I blame Kross...

oh my gosh this thread is hilarious xD totally made my night (it's been slow, yea)

GRUMPY CAT THREAD :D

I mean >:(

Man this thread is super necro'd.

Wow, a rare double-necro...
Not bad, not bad at all...

So many kitties.
I have an avatar for once!!

Ngh, what is this place?! Why do I feel so grumpy all of a sudden?!

I am happy with these turn of events. Let's get some love for the Ron Swanson of felines!

Another necro?

In truth, I'm torn. The "Banned...Permabanned!" avatar did (and still does) make me laugh; I can't deny that. But, it makes people harder to recognise once they've been struck by the hammer. I tend to recognise people by their avatars more than their names.

I'm not against changing avatars per say for reasons stated above (i.e. you broke the rules so you deserve it; you won't notice it unless the bans are recent or you go through the archives, etc), but I think the actual image is really, really crass. I mean, am I supposed to find a clip showing a kid in a hospital bed punched in the face, twice no less, amusing?

Also guys, whether or not you care about the banned person's feelings over having their avatar changed is really irrelevant here. Sure, who cares, they're banned and they probably deserve it... But I just don't think that the .gif is really appropriate for use in the, threads especially by the mods who would usually give out warnings for such content.

I am appoint that this thread is still sporting Grumpy Cat.

I wonder if it'll be locked due to the new regime now, though.

Infernal Lawyer:
I'm not against changing avatars per say for reasons stated above (i.e. you broke the rules so you deserve it; you won't notice it unless the bans are recent or you go through the archives, etc), but I think the actual image is really, really crass. I mean, am I supposed to find a clip showing a kid in a hospital bed punched in the face, twice no less, amusing?

I highly doubt the intended reaction is supposed to be laughter.

Especially considering that in order to receive said image on your posts, you have to break the rules, often many, many times.

shrekfan246:

Infernal Lawyer:

I highly doubt the intended reaction is supposed to be laughter.

Especially considering that in order to receive said image on your posts, you have to break the rules, often many, many times.

I was more talking about the average person reading the threads. Like I said, it really doesn't matter if the banned person likes it or not because, you know, they probably deserved it, and I'm sure the mods aren't expecting said person to find it amusing nor do they care.

I'm sorry, but I find it amusing how many people are ignoring the point of the OP and going on a tangent about how much they don't give a shit about the feelings of people who get banned. I wouldn't have thought it would be hard to understand he was talking about how it was an inappropriate .gif to see on the threads for the average person, much less put there by the mods who are supposed to be the role models of the community.

I'll get off my high horse now.

Infernal Lawyer:

I'm sorry, but I find it amusing how many people are ignoring the point of the OP and going on a tangent about how much they don't give a shit about the feelings of people who get banned. I wouldn't have thought it would be hard to understand he was talking about how it was an inappropriate .gif to see on the threads for the average person, much less put there by the mods who are supposed to be the role models of the community.

How is it inappropriate? It's a gif from a television show, used to signify that someone who has repeatedly broken the rules has been slapped down.

For the sake of consistency I hope you would also find the scene of Gavroche being shot in Les Miserables inappropriate, or anything ever related to violent video games inappropriate.

As has been evidenced also in this very thread, users posting the gif doesn't generally draw any punishment from the moderators either. It's like saying this is an offensive image that shouldn't be allowed on forums:

Besides, does this -
guy on the left look like a "child", anyway? Same guy, same show.

shrekfan246:

Infernal Lawyer:

How is it inappropriate? It's a gif from a television show, used to signify that someone who has repeatedly broken the rules has been slapped down.

And the OP's point is that it's a poor, immature way to do so.

For the sake of consistency I hope you would also find the scene of Gavroche being shot in Les Miserables inappropriate, or anything ever related to violent video games inappropriate.

As has been evidenced also in this very thread, users posting the gif doesn't generally draw any punishment from the moderators either. It's like saying this is an offensive image that shouldn't be allowed on forums:
[snipped for space]

Legal (or w/e) =/= appropriate, especially in the sense of context. For example, I don't think you'd appreciate it if I only posted this as my entire response, even if there isn't anything explicitly inappropriate in the content. And as for your examples, I think I draw the line at 1. the content or user supplying the content implying that something violent is happening to another user, and 2. that I'm supposed to find that amusing. "Lol, guy tried to take on the mods and got his face impaled with a pencil, lol".

I just think that it's a crude way of showing that someone's been banned and that there's probably a better way of doing it, and at no point did I suggest the banhammar needed to be pulled out. No, it's not the end of the world or even remotely important, but then again neither are manners, and since when was asking for a little more class from those in charge a bad thing?

But maybe I'm just sore that I got a warning for an incredibly trivial statement while the moderators get to openly mock people. Meh.

Besides, does this -[pic snipped again]
guy on the left look like a "child", anyway? Same guy, same show.

And I was supposed to know that from the .gif... How, exactly? He looks like a kid on the .gif, and I don't think it's unfair to say that most people aren't going to do any research to find out otherwise.

My only beef with the permabanned avatar is that the mods are inconsistent with it. They slap it on SOME people, but not others.

Do they only slap it on people they don't like? Regardless, it's inconsistent.

Don't see a problem with the permabanned avatar. But I will admit, I would preferred to see a new one and not the same over and over again.

Maybe a Sad Grumpy Cat would do?

EDIT:
I just realized it is an old Thread...

Infernal Lawyer:
But maybe I'm just sore that I got a warning for an incredibly trivial statement while the moderators get to openly mock people. Meh.

On another forum I frequent, the mods there don't actually have to follow the rules themselves. It's a "perk of the job" they say.

This permabanned avatar seems a bit like that.

ForumSafari:
The site was called the Dead Horse Interchange, it's still up but the forums are down because their coder is a monkey or lost interest. Funnily enough though the archives weren't made out of butthurt or rage, they were mostly made because the Escapist was a fairly good source of conversation material. I mean come on, the boards here are moderated in such a way that topics can be hidden from public scrutiny if they go along a line that the mods really don't like and the moderation was scattershot at best. But yeah, it really wasn't compiled as an exercise in rage, it was compiled for the fun of a group project. In fact if a user got way too obsessed they'd be asked to knock it off.

Interestingly, the Dead Horse Interchange forums are up again under a different domain name.

http://deadhorseinterchangeable.freeforums.org/

They don't talk so much about the Escapist anymore though.

Infernal Lawyer:

Also guys, whether or not you care about the banned person's feelings over having their avatar changed is really irrelevant here. Sure, who cares, they're banned and they probably deserve it... But I just don't think that the .gif is really appropriate for use in the, threads especially by the mods who would usually give out warnings for such content.

See, what you did just now is known as "necroing." That's when you revive a thread that's been dead pretty darn long. It's considered uncouth.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked