Pacific Rim trailer.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Guillermo del Toro's love letter to Japanese monster films has finally received its first trailer.

And before you ask, yes, that's Ellen McLain's voice you're hearing.

Is that Ellen MclLain doing the voice-over?!?! (Sorry, had to be done).

Anyway...

HOLY FUCK BALLS! THAT LOOKS BAD ASS!!!!! TAKE MY MONEY! TAKE ALL THE MONEY TO LET ME SEE YOUR MOTION PICTURE!!!!

...sorry, I had a bit of a nerd moment there. This is one of those films that I normally would look at with caution, expecting a giant turd of a movie but Del Toro's as the director gives it instant credit in my book to upgrade to "great optimism". I'm surprised this is the first I'm seeing of this but I suppose it's been a while since I've gone to the theater...

it's not just Ellen McLain, its Ellen McLain specifically via a deal with Valve hence the fact she sounds exactly as in Portal filters, vocal effects and all.

he's such a geek :D

thank god he's actually directing movies again. this will be his first movie after many stalled projects since 2008s Hellboy 2. i hope Hellboy 3 (which is meant to go back to the whole supernatural nazis thang, Hellboys task on Earth and complete the trilogy) is announced soon after this as i ain't getting any younger and neither is Ron Perlman :P

That nearly gave me a heart attack.
I was pretty excited for this movie already once I heard the premise and I saw the announcement that Ellen Mcclain would be in but now that I've actually heard her in it with (like Sleekit said) all the filters and stuff, I swear my blood-pressure nearly skyrocketed.

Godzilla 2014's trailer better be as awesome as that was because after '98 Legendary needs to build trust with Godzilla fans big time.

Where's Shinji? SHINJI?????

That's giant mechas fighting giant monsters. At least it's a good compensation for no Akira film.

I was gonna say hope no one says this is fucking Evaganlion but someone made that reference though I can't tell if serious. So I'll just say it to make sure, there has been other robots vs monsters stories, Evaganlion isn't the first, because it's annoying to keep mentioning this shit everytime someone sees Pacfic Rim. Really it's like no one ever delved to this particular storylines.

Gee, giant mechs duking it out with giant interdimensional monsters, what is not to like? I like how the mechs look like they ar combining aspects of a lot of different types of mechs throughout the history of the concept, though they mostly remind me of the mechs from the Armored Core series.

It is seeing things like this that makes me seriously think that del Torro should be directing Star Wars. The man has such an imagination and a love for doing things with monsters that he would knock it out of the park [1].

[1] It's actually been leaked that Matthew Vaughn, who directed X-Men first class and kick ass will be directing the new Star Wars movie, so we'll have to wait and see.

Please, please, please, PLEASE DON'T SUCK. I had forgotten how much I loved my giant monster films until I actually learned what this was supposed to be about. I hope the new Godzilla doesn't suck either. I want to see these succeed we could see more going into the future. The last Kaiju film to hit US films(not including 98' or Cloverfield) was what? Gozilla 2000?

JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER-DAY SAINTS

Looks really awesome. 2013's gonna be a good year for awesome sci-fi/fantasy action. For reals.

BearMinerals:
JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER-DAY SAINTS

Looks really awesome. 2013's gonna be a good year for awesome sci-fi/fantasy action. For reals.

Yeah, even though I don't have much of a like for Tom Cruise, Oblivion, seems like it will be really good. Luckily it has two academy award winning writers so yay. :D One of the screen writers is Michael Arndt of Toy Story 3 and Little Miss Sunshine fame, who is also going to be the screen writer for Star Wars VII, and The Hunger Games: Catching Fire also in 2013.

Watched this trailer... immediately told my friends we're going to see it as soon as possible.

Oh wow.

It's like someone took Evangelion, lined all the whiney little shits up against a wall and shot them, made it live action, and tipped several drums of distilled awesome on it.

Also, when I heard Ellen McLain was going to be in it, I thought they just meant as some random announcer. But nope, she's going full GLaDOS on this baby!

The movie is like the second half of a power rangers episode!

I actually want to see this for the ridiculousness of it all.

Giant monsters, Giant Robots, Ellen McLain and Idris Elba...

GUILLERMO DEL TORO PROBED MY BRAIN, AND THEN MADE A MOVIE OUT OF IT!

YES, YES, YES!

This looks amazing! Gigant mecha with a glados AI, fighting monsters in Japan.

I also love that this isn't something they even try to make realistic. I mean, they've got elbow rockets to punch harder.

THEY HAVE GIANT ROCKETS ON THEIR ELBOWS SO THEY CAN PUNCH THE 500 METER TALL MONSTERS IN THE FACE!

YES!

IamQ:

Actually, the fights will take place all around the world.

In the trailer you can even see "California" on the side of the police cars.

ChupathingyX:

IamQ:

Actually, the fights will take place all around the world.

In the trailer you can even see "California" on the side of the police cars.

Oh. Thought since they mentioned the pacific, it would be in japan. Maybe Australia too I guess, but I think japan is slightly more relevant to giant monster movies.

I've been excited about this film for so long. It's great to finally get an amazing trailer.

Holy balls, I didn't even know it was by Guillermo del Toro! Got my hopes up for this one, since if nothing else, his films are always visually outstanding and imaginative.

Looks pretty cool, and having Ellen McLain is just another layer of awesome.

However, I'll reserve judgment for when the movie is closer to coming out. While it looks interesting, some of the design choices look a bit weird to me.

But hey, if I hear good things, I'll definitely go to see it.

At first I was like "Oh you're bitter you didn't get to make At the Mountains of Madness so you're taking a bit of it and using it here?", then I was like oh cool action movie.

First thing, it's about bloody time!!! I would of thought they had shown the trailer at the last Comic-con.

Second thing, is that GLaDOS?

Third thing, the trailer is awesome, miles better compared to that first treaser trailer (it look more like a Cloverfield sequel)!

Fourth thing, I like their (US) take on the whole giant monster film. To me it felt like a realistic (or not) version of a Power Ranger monster fight (I guess those white suits look like Power Ranger suits to me).

It looks like overblown sci-fi rubbish to me. There's still a hint of potential in the fact it's being done by an interesting and highly respected director, but colour me uninterested. Although Idris Elba's always good.

Why is it that I expect to hear cave Johnson's voice come over the loudspeaker and say something "now the lab boys tell me these dimensional rift things are harmless, really, there are ZERO chances of any giant monsters coming out of them".

TheIronRuler:
Where's Shinji? SHINJI?????

That's giant mechas fighting giant monsters. At least it's a good compensation for no Akira film.

Dude if you read the proposed Akira script you wouldn't think that.

OT: the trailer looks very very good.

Okay, so THIS is what del Toro is busy making instead of an adaptation of one of H. P. Lovecraft's best works? Well, okay, I'm fine with it. Still, I hope we'll see At the Mountains of Madness sooner or later.

If a trailer's highlight was a giant robot rocket-punching a giant sea monster, somebody is doing something right.

They better use Ellen Mclain's voice properly. I am expecting at least one sarcastic remark, one public annumcement about self esteem funds and one failed attempt at pretending to murder the entire crew with deadly neurotoxins.

WOAH WOAH WOAH.

They made a War of the Monsters film?!

Be right back, I'm building a time machine to tell my childhood self the good news.

I loudly shouted 'HOLY SHIT THATS GLADOS' at my laptop, very happy they are using 'that voice', amazing.

It actually looks fantastic, something I certainly want to go see in the cinema with popcorn :) Sadly I can't imagine it being that popular, I just don't see it having a big audience following.

Wow. The whole "giant robot fighting giant monster" has been done before but this just looks soooo good. Reminds me of Ultraman but without the rubber suits.

lots of people saying its been done before and tbh ofc it has as del Toro himself has called it "a loveletter" to virtually all the Japanese monster/giant robot films and series people have mentioned in the thread but i for one would rather watch Hollywoods money finance a del Toro "loveletter" than see the Hollywood vultures themselves try hook their claws into the genre as they did with and Godzilla 98...

and now im going to post pics of the robots for you all :P

I hope Michael Bay has seen this. This is how you do a big robot movie, Bay! Even if the movie turns out to be shit, Bay would learn a lot.

Yellowfish:
Okay, so THIS is what del Toro is busy making instead of an adaptation of one of H. P. Lovecraft's best works? Well, okay, I'm fine with it. Still, I hope we'll see At the Mountains of Madness sooner or later.

Studio not willing to take the risk unless this movie does well as some of the last movies tank. This is a business after all.

Magenera:

Yellowfish:

Studio not willing to take the risk unless this movie does well as some of the last movies tank. This is a business after all.

apparently, from what i've been reading, there is already a lot of want for sequel to this film and a script has already been commissioned.

i suspect del Toro might use the studios desire for a sequel to this as leverage to get one of his other projects made.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked