Top 5 Movies Of The Year

Pages 1 2 NEXT

We've seen GOTY videos and forum posts all over the place, but what about films? Here's a... MOTY post if you will. Mine are:

1. The Perks Of Being A Wallflower
2. Argo
3. Safety Not Guaranteed
4. The Dark Knight Rises
5. Ted

Mentions to The Avengers, Sinister, Moonrise Kingdom and ill Manors.
I saw a lot of movies this year and I was pleasantly happy with them.

How about you?
We had an awesome year in movies this year and I'm so excited to see what's to come!

Y'know, it's kinda sad, but I can't really come up with any.

I haven't seen any really outstanding films this year. Avengers was alright I guess and Cabin in the Woods was pretty fun, but neither of them were anything to write home about.

I haven't seen Cloud Atlas yet. Hopefully that's good.

Nor have I seen Argo or The Hobbit, although I'm not all that interested in them.

Zhukov:
Y'know, it's kinda sad, but I can't really come up with any.

I haven't seen any really outstanding films this year. Avengers was alright I guess and Cabin in the Woods was pretty fun, but neither of them were anything to write home about.

I haven't seen Cloud Atlas yet. Hopefully that's good.

Not have I seen Argo or The Hobbit, although I'm not all that interested in them.

I think that ARGO was amazing hence it being my 2nd choice. I highly suggest you see that one. It's sad that we had such a great year in cinema and nobody went to the movies.

I've only seen one film at the cinema this year (that's how little new releases have excited me)
and that was Skyfall, which, in fairness rocked!

So I give Skyfall my film of the year award,

There you go little buddy!

I have no bloody idea. Absolutely no movie this year has blown me away. Maybe Skyfall came the closest.

Argo...nah, probably Affleck's worst directed film so far. Terribly overhyped. Cabin was enjoyable...uh...I really liked Prometheus/TDKR/Avengers but they're hardly 'good' films, just popcorn junk really.

PS Ted was amazing in cinemas but upon rewatch it's a really terrible film...just saying.

kman123:
I have no bloody idea. Absolutely no movie this year has blown me away. Maybe Skyfall came the closest.

Argo...nah, probably Affleck's worst directed film so far. Terribly overhyped. Cabin was enjoyable...uh...I really liked Prometheus/TDKR/Avengers but they're hardly 'good' films, just popcorn junk really.

PS Ted was amazing in cinemas but upon rewatch it's a really terrible film...just saying.

I've seen it about 4 times now, once in cinemas and I slowly enjoyed it less and less. However, I was still entertained. I keep forgetting Prometheus when mentioning this but even though a great movie, I think that the fact I can't remember it speaks for itself. I didn't watch The Town or Gone Baby Gone so Argo was great for me, and the

to quote Yahtzee "griped me by the bell end!"

Haven't seen that many movies this year but I absolutely loved The Hobbit and Wreck-It Ralph. Moonrise Kingdom was also rather enjoyable, didn't leave a lasting impression like those two, though.

In no particular order:

1. Skyfall
2. The Dark Knight Rises
3. Wreck-it Ralph
4. The Avengers
5. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

I've only seen four movies at the cinema this year so I guess I'll just rank them:

1. The Avengers
2. The Dark Knight Rises
3. Chronicle
4. Skyfall

I must stress that I really enjoyed all of them

I don't really go to the cinema, I have only really been to see Skyfall, Avengers, and Ted and out of the three I preferred Avengers, even though none of them are films I would particularly want to see again.

1. Cabin In The woods.
2. Seven Psycopaths
3. Looper
4. The Perks Of Being A Wallflower
5. Dredd.

So far...

1) The Raid: Redemption
2) K-ON! Movie (technically came out last year, but no one outside Japan saw it until DVD release this year.)
3) Paranorman
4) Dredd
5) The Dark Knight Rises

Still waiting for Django Unchained.

I have only seen 5 movies this year. So this should be easy:

1.Avenegers Assemble
2.Skyfall
3.The Dark Knight Rises
4.The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
5.Dredd

Yeah I don't go to the movies anymore, too many obnoxious people and to much of a risk of having a panic attack.

Although it came out last year one of my favorite movies to watch this year is "The Descendants".

I saw Avengers and I wasn't that big on it, it was alright, but I prefered the new Spider-man over it. I am biased as I really like Spider-Man. Also no Hank Pym or Wasp sucked.

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel was really great. I also wanted to see Perks of Being a Wallflower. I just tend to wait for movies to come out on video and even then I may not see the movie unless it really looks interesting. Like I have to see the new Batman movie, but I haven't yet gotten around to it.

I really want to see Les MisÚrables and Django Unchained however!

First I'll have to remember the movies I've watched that were released this year...
The Avengers, The Dark Knight Rises, Looper, Cloud Atlas, The Hobbit, The Grey, Chronicle, Ghost Rider 2, The Hunger Games, American Reunion, Brave, and Amazing Spider-Man.

That's actually slightly more than I expected.

The Grey

A psychological survival-thriller starring Liam Neeson, what it lacked in transparency about the character portrayed by Neeson it more than made up for in the characterization of the entire ensemble cast. It made the best of a relatively small budget, and packed the atmosphere in tight to its two-hour run-time, with an ample balance between tense chase sequences and quiet character-building segments.

Chronicle

Another of those 'shaky-cam' 'found-footage' style movies, Chronicle presented an interesting look at how suddenly gaining super-powers might affect a small group of high-school students. A short running time makes it feel like it ends much sooner than it should have, considering how long it spends building up to the actual conflict, but the character interaction is top-notch and the way that it presents the narrative is a very interesting take on the super-hero genre of films.

Looper

Now, I honestly couldn't tell you what I expected when I went in to see this film, but it wasn't what I got. Based around conspiracies, time-travel, and underground corporations, Looper presented a new dynamic on the "seasoned veteran meets bright-eyed, bushy-tailed underling" by actually subverting the trope entirely. Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Bruce Willis play against each other just as much as they do with, and it meshes together very well. A few plot-points aren't explained well (you could be forgiven for completely missing that the biggest twist is actually coming, as the plot-point that establishes it is introduced within the first few minutes of the film and almost entirely glossed over during the rest of it), but the pacing never outstays its welcome.

The Hobbit

An Unexpected Journey, it certainly was. Peter Jackson's follow-up to the original Lord of the Rings trilogy has finally set underway, ten years after he set the world of film on fire. Inevitably, The Hobbit will gather comparisons to Jackson's earlier work, but while it certainly evokes the same feeling of Middle-Earth it is neither trying nor needs to be The Lord of the Rings. While it never breaks free of the trappings imposed by the legacy of The Lord of the Rings, it manages to capture the lighthearted feeling of The Hobbit's story and the rather extensive running time on top of the fact that The Hobbit is being broken into three separate parts mean that An Unexpected Journey is allowed the ability to incorporate many elements from the original story that may otherwise have been cut out.

Cloud Atlas

See it. No, really.

Visually vivacious, intellectually inspiring, aggressively ambitious, Cloud Atlas is more than just a good film. It's an achievement in film-making and film narratives, with a cast that perform wonderfully, and a tone that can switch from light slap-stick comedy to science-fiction thriller in the blink of an eye without ever feeling out of place.

Honorable mentions go to #8: Amazing Spider-Man (which only really stumbles for me because The Lizard's actual story is ridiculous and drags down the rest of the narrative that had been rather strong up until that point); #7: The Avengers; #6: The Dark Knight Rises.

I've yet to see Skyfall or The Hobbit, which I expect would probably make my list, but so far these are my top five:

1. The Avengers
2. Looper
3. Cabin in the Woods
4. Chronicle
5. The Dark Knight Rises

1: The Avengers
2: Skyfall
3: Wreck-It Ralph
4: The Dark Knight Rises

#5 is reserved for either the Hobbit or DKR if the Hobbit goes higher than any of these.

Wow, you know...now that I think about it, this has been something of a flat year, film wise. I saw a lot of really fun popcorn movies, but nothing I'd rush to bestow a Best Picture award on. I really enjoyed stuff like DKR, Avengers, Looper, etc. but those were more entertainment than art.

Paramorman is easily my favorite film this year followed by Wreck it Ralph and Avengers, I didn't really enjoy any of the other movies I saw this year.

Let's see... movies that came out this year I thought were good...
Skyfall
Hobbit
Avengers
The Raid
Dark Knight Rises
Looper
End of Watch
TED
Hypnotis÷ren
Bourne Legacy
SpiderMan
Men in Black 3
Expendables 2
Abraham the Vampire Hunter
The Dictator
Act of Valor

I haven't seen which I think I'll enjoy
Django
Kuningas Litmanen
Man with the Iron Fists
Prometheus
Judge Dredd
and mnost likely something else I forgott to mention

wow... that list got a lot longer than I expected...

1. Cabin In The Woods. I liked how this was very much a smaller movie, yet it still managed to feel big. The constant shift in tone and setting, which were very highly praised by MovieBob while we're at it, meant that you could never guess what was going to happen next, a rare quality nowadays for a horror movie.
2. The Avengers. Not really a gold star in story, but the sheer brilliance of it's characters and screenplay more then make up for that. Plus, brilliant marketing, and the fact that they got such an experimental enterprise so right with tons of funny jokes and action scenes that would make Michael Bay cry, earn it a number 2 spot.
3. Skyfall. For the first time in literally decades, we got a James Bond movie that was an actual James Bond movie. (Yes, I agree with MovieBob again) Beautiful action scenes, witty dialogue, and nearly as iconic as Goldfinger, it was a ton of fun.
4. Ted. It may not be the best or most refreshing movie of the year (see also: The Avengers) but it was simply so funny that I didn't care. Sometimes that is enough.
5. Resident Evil: Retribution. I know it is not even remotely close to being good, but much Like Ted, it had some stuff in it that I really liked, mostly in how it delivered on everything it promises: The fight between Jill Valentine and Alice, fantastic scene. Bringing down the facility, better then the collapse of Sauron's tower in LotR. I got a lot more of these. It may be a guilty pleasure, but there is also plenty of stuff everybody can enjoy.

My least favorite movie of the year, by a long shot, was The Dark Knight Rises. I didn't really hate it for what it was (though that certainly didn't help, because it let me down in more ways then one) but I hated it for what it represents: that the greed of Hollywood is also taking over the good people. After The Dark Knight, Nolan should have said: We had a hell of a run, and we made the best comic book movie ever. We're not going to top that, so we're not going to try.

There's still several big movies coming, you can't make this list yet!

Tarantino would not approve.

Mine would be:

1. Dark Knight Rises
2. The Hobbit
3. The Avengers
4. Chronicle
5. Skyfall (I was expecting more from but was still good)

The only movie I saw this year that blew me away was Drive. Technically 2011 though.

Every other movie I saw was at best okay. The Avengers was decent popcorn fun, but nothing too great.

1. Cabin in the woods
2. The Avengers
3. Dark knight rises
4. The Hobbit
5. The Grey

1 Cloud Atlas
2 The Hobbit
3 Skyfall
4 Prometheus
I saw only 4 movies released this year so list has only 4 entries

1. The Hobbit (haven't even seen it yet, I have high expectations)
2. The Dark Knight Rises
3. Ted
4. The Avengers
5. Skyfall

1. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
2. Skyfall
3. The Avengers
4. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
5. Wreck-It Ralph

this was a pretty good year movie wise, especially these last two months.

trty00:

You have a very valid point my friend.. But it's not out here (Australia) until Janurary 24 so I don't count it. It would probably be on my list for next year.

Only one movie comes to mind.

Moonrise Kingdom

Wes Anderson you clever devil, you've done it again!

Chronicle was pretty good also. Very enjoyable. The Dark Knight Rises also deserve a mention.

In no particular order: ...

The Hobbit
Cabin in the Woods
The Avengers
BM: TDKR
Ted

(I haven't seen Skyfall yet, was gonna see it the other day, saw the Hobbit instead, as it had just come out.)

Motherbleepers2:

trty00:

You have a very valid point my friend.. But it's not out here (Australia) until Janurary 24 so I don't count it. It would probably be on my list for next year.

I'm not making mine until 01/01/2013.

trty00:

Motherbleepers2:

trty00:

I'm not making mine until 01/01/2013.

Mine can change. It's not definite. And nobody would really care too much I only have 7 subscribers on my YouTube channel. For example, After I posted this thread, I was reminded of Moonrise Kingdom, Dredd and Prometheus. But if they didn't come first to mind, they're not very memorable.

Let's say

Argo
Cosmopolis
The Dark Knight Rises
Doomsday Book
Wreck-it-Ralph

I'm not crazy over any of these but that's the best I can come up with. Something memorable about every one of them, at least.

I didn't realize how few movies I've seen this year.
Also, I didn't know Perks of Being a Wall Flower came out. I was planning on reading the book before seeing the movie.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked