Your Album of the Year 2012

Pages 1 2 NEXT

It's not the end of the year yet, but by now very little new music is being released. Most online publications seem to be naming Frank Ocean or Kendrick Lamar for aoty, both of whose albums I enjoyed but found pretty overrated overall. Personally, I'm going for Death Grips - The Money Store, which has pretty much divided everyone who's listened to it into one group of people who love its energy and another group who think it's a pile of pseudo-hip hop shit.

Obviously then I'm in the former.

If we're counting EPs though, it's gotta go to dubstep king Burial's first EP of the year, Kindred. Fantastic piece of music on par with his genre classic, Untrue. Chaotic, dark, layered but ultimately strikes a balance with cohesion which makes it work as a single unit of music. Everything is perfectly executed, from it's chopped up and distant vocals to the twirling synths, trickling beats and crackles/cut outs that hint back to the human touch of vinyl.

So what is your favourite album of 2012?

Mumford & Sons; Babel. I wouldn't have thought I would like something this 'folky' but I think this just sound great.

I have three...

Best Lamb of God album ever. It's like they got all of the best bits of their sound from each of their albums and shoved it into one. Most of all, Randy's voice sounds fucking amazing, it's pretty astoundingly awesome.

Best Every Time I Die album ever. Sounds a bit like New Junk Aesthetic did, but a bit heavier, and I think the songs are better.

Best Stone Sour album ever. Really love it, the first two albums aped Slipknot a little, and Audio Secrecy was a bit pop-rock in places. This is pretty much perfect, and the lyrics are probably the best lyrics Corey Taylor has ever written (which is saying a lot).

TheRightToArmBears:
I have three...

Best Lamb of God album ever. It's like they got all of the best bits of their sound from each of their albums and shoved it into one. Most of all, Randy's voice sounds fucking amazing, it's pretty astoundingly awesome.

Best Every Time I Die album ever. Sounds a bit like New Junk Aesthetic did, but a bit heavier, and I think the songs are better.

gotta be honest, I didn't really like either of those albums

Haven't heard the new Stone Sour album, but their past work is ok.

I'm going with Carolus Rex from Sabaton. Its a pretty ambitious project, a metal album about the Swedish empire from the Thirty Yeas War to the death of Charles XII.

There are two for me:

Lonerism by Tame Impala:

and

Mary's Voice by The Music Tapes:

The Afterman Ascension from Coheed & Cambria, and Neck of The Woods from Silversun pickups. Both are completely different but oh my god soooo goodddddd //dies

Definitely Monolith of Inhumanity.

I didn't see this one coming. Cattle Decapitation were always one of those bands - entertaining enough, but never crafting anything truly great. With this album, they changed that. It is, without a doubt, the best deathgrind album I have ever heard. The songs are catchy in places, but still unrelentingly brutal, two things that usually don't go together.

The whole bands performance is good in technical terms (as far as I can tell anyway) but the vocals really stick out on this one. Travis Ryan just sounds downright inhumane at times and just generally growls, screams and shouts his way through the album. I don't think he ever shuts up for an entire minute but he never gets annoying.

What's more, they also made one of the sickest videos I've ever seen for the song I linked at the start of this post. I can't link it here though, it would get me banned. It's also not available on Youtube or Vimeo because they want nothing to do with it. Search for it if you're feeling brave.

Swans - The Seer

The Swans started as a typical post-punk band. Their music was pretty darn good, but nothing especially great.

After a 16-year-long hiatus, they returned in 2010 with My Father Will Guide Me up a Rope to the Sky, taking a turn for experimental-avant garde-progressive rock. Back then, I was pleasantly surprised, and couldn't wait to listen to what they came up with next.

They delivered. The Seer is by far their best (and as many people might say, "weirdest") album. It's as if they took the basic formula of MFWGMuRttS and perfected it. I haven't found myself being completely immersed by a longer-than-10-minutes song in years. The whole album is a mix of beautiful sounds. However, it is truly hard to get for someone not used to this kind of music.

As such, I shall also mention another gem that came out this year, that being Coheed & Cambria's The Afterman: Ascension

I did not particularly like Year of the Black Rainbow . After the very good No World for Tomorrow and the grand From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness, I was left kinda disappointed by the new direction the band was taking. As such, when I first heard of a new album coming out, I found myself worrying that it would be even worse.

Was I wrong. The Afterman: Ascension truly blew me away. The guitarwork is miles better than that of YotBR, the lyrics have regained the deepness they lacked for the majority of YotBR, and C&C seem to have found their groove back. I can't wait for The Afterman: Descension.

Level 2 by Miracle of Sound. It totally counts.

Dammit, I haven't got all the 2012 albums I want yet! >:[

Well so far, it's definitely Faunts' "Left Here Alone". 4 songs, each of them astonishingly perfect. Cemented their reputation as my favourite band around right now.

Captcha: "empire state of mind".

Neuromancer:
Swans - The Seer

The Swans started as a typical post-punk band. Their music was pretty darn good, but nothing especially great.

After a 16-year-long hiatus, they returned in 2010 with My Father Will Guide Me up a Rope to the Sky, taking a turn for experimental-avant garde-progressive rock. Back then, I was pleasantly surprised, and couldn't wait to listen to what they came up with next.

They delivered. The Seer is by far their best (and as many people might say, "weirdest") album. It's as if they took the basic formula of MFWGMuRttS and perfected it. I haven't found myself being completely immersed by a longer-than-10-minutes song in years. The whole album is a mix of beautiful sounds. However, it is truly hard to get for someone not used to this kind of music.

As such, I shall also mention another gem that came out this year, that being Coheed & Cambria's The Afterman: Ascension

I did not particularly like Year of the Black Rainbow . After the very good No World for Tomorrow and the grand From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness, I was left kinda disappointed by the new direction the band was taking. As such, when I first heard of a new album coming out, I found myself worrying that it would be even worse.

Was I wrong. The Afterman: Ascension truly blew me away. The guitarwork is miles better than that of YotBR, the lyrics have regained the deepness they lacked for the majority of YotBR, and C&C seem to have found their groove back. I can't wait for The Afterman: Descension.

I was also a huge fan of The Afterman: Ascension. Very quality Coheed work. Although, my album of the year would have to be Night Visions by Imagine Dragons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn7eYibzmTs

P.S.-I'm terrible at embedding videos.

Neuromancer:
Swans - The Seer

I have a really low attention span for music but I've been slowly chipping away at this to get into it.

OhJohnNo:

Well so far, it's definitely Faunts' "Left Here Alone". 4 songs, each of them astonishingly perfect. Cemented their reputation as my favourite band around right now.

haha, coincidence, I'm actually listening to the title track right now. stunning song. unfortunately I found the rest of the EP a little boring :\

Well, that's a difficult choice...

Disregarding individual songs, albums that I enjoy as a whole so far include:

For technical prowess, I'd have to give it to either Art By Numbers for Reticence: The Musical or Between The Buried And Me for The Parallax II: Future Sequence, with Dan Dankmeyer's Pure coming in as a runner-up.

For emotional response, Austin Wintory with the Journey soundtrack.

For most interesting and unique listenability, it would be a three-way tie between Siamese Fighting Fish's Breathe:See:Move, Showbread's Cancer, and Foxy Shazam's The Church of Rock & Roll.

AnarchistFish:

haha, coincidence, I'm actually listening to the title track right now. stunning song. unfortunately I found the rest of the EP a little boring :\

(Just kidding, to each their own... but I could listen to that album on repeat for days)

Hmmm, I bought Babel, but I haven't gotten around to listening to it yet. Not because I don't want to, I just haven't had the time or anything to listen to it all in one go. What I have heard from it is amazing though. However, my top album for the year can only be Metric's 'Synthetica':

Able Seacat:
Mumford & Sons; Babel. I wouldn't have thought I would like something this 'folky' but I think this just sound great.

Exactly what I came here to say, I love this album, still listening to today. Favourites on it are Babel and Lover of the Light

The new Grizzly Bear album Shields is fantastic.

Feeder's Generation Freakshow hands down best album of the year.

Proof:

Toaster Hunter:
I'm going with Carolus Rex from Sabaton. Its a pretty ambitious project, a metal album about the Swedish empire from the Thirty Yeas War to the death of Charles XII.

This. There's not a single song on it that I don't like. I'd even go as far as to say that it's the best power metal album I've ever heard.

I don't generally go out and buy music with the same vigor that I do movies or video games (which is extremely ironic, given the fact that, of those three art forms, music is the one I'm most interested in and it's the one I plan on having a future in), so I'm not really sure I have a favorite.

However, I do think there were some stellar releases this year with PiL's "This is PiL." "Lex Hives" from The Hives. Die Antwoord's newest was great as well, and so was Animal Collective's.

Grimes - Visions

Claire Boucher has quite some talent, I'm quite interested into what she'll do next.

Pfffff.

Well my personal favorite has been Lonerism, since I enjoyed listening that one that most, not saying it's the best. But surely my favorite.

But the choice was between Lonerism, The Seer and the new Fiona Apple album.

My "Album of the Year" goes to Panic by Caravan Palace. Mainly because electroswing has recently stolen my heart, so there was essentially no hope for any other album I've picked up this year. It's a well-rounded sophomore album that showcases a variety of different sounds, from the hopping beats of "Rock it for Me" and "Clash" to the energetically calm [yeah, I know] feel of "Cotton Heads," as well as expounding and improving upon its predecessor.

I'd recommend this album, and this band, to just about anyone. They produce a slick fusion of old and new that I'm sure a lot of people can get into.

THat came out this year?

Richard Hawley's Standing at the Sky's Edge

Miracle of Sound's Level 2:

& the Mass Effect 3 Soundtrack:

(But mostly I've been listening to a lot of 30/40's Jazz and Swing!)

My album of the year must be Portal of I by Ne Obliviscaris. A few listens should explain why better than I ever could.

Granta:
My album of the year must be Portal of I by Ne Obliviscaris. A few listens should explain why better than I ever could.

This is also one of my favourite albums of the year! Nice to see there are more people out there who love it.

Other great albums:
Katatonia - Dead end kings

In mourning - The Weight of Oceans

Meshuggah - Koloss

Gojira - l'enfant sauvage

Next year is looking good with new albums from Cult of luna,Riverside, Dark tranquillity and Steven Wilson, among others.

Neuromancer:
Swans - The Seer

Agree with this, definitely the best album of the year. Although I don't think you know as much about Swans' career as you think - they were noise rock before they were post-punk, and they've been experimental avant-garde progressive rock since long before their reunion. And of course most importantly, they were ALWAYS great. But maybe that's just me. The Seer is still definitely their best album.

OhJohnNo:

Faunts released something new without my knowledge?! *hastily googles*

I agree with OP here Death Grips - Money Store was definitely a highlight, others include...

Mainstream Picks

Tame Impala - Lonerism
Max Richter - Vivaldi Recomposed: The Four Seasons
Swans - The Seer
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - 'Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!
Converge - All We Love We Leave Behind

Underground Picks

Downfall of Gaia - Suffocating In The Swarm of Cranes
Amenra - Mass V
Dark Time Sunshine - ANX
Germ - Wish

Dishonorable Mentions

Fear Factory - The Industrialist, the most boring album I heard all year with absolutely no variety. Such a disappointment after the awesomeness of Mechanize, they really need to go back to Demanufacture and find what made that album great (hint... It's strong melodies).

Devin Townsend - Epicloud, A disappointment without the second disc. The first disc is good but soulless while the 2nd disc in the extended edition is just pure awesome

Bear In Heaven:
Grimes - Visions

Claire Boucher has quite some talent, I'm quite interested into what she'll do next.

Love Grimes. Visions is in my top 5 for sure.

JochemHippie:

10. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!

15. Andy Stott - Luxury Problems

I loved these ones too. Both are top 5. Godspeed are my favourite musical artist.

Granta:

I have listened to it. Pretty good.

This year, I only got 3 CD's so this will be pretty easy for me.

Voltaire's BiTrekual was a gift and while I'll listen to some of the tracks off of it, it wasn't my favorite. I've found that I can't really listen to any of his CDs all the way through though so I guess given that it's above average.

Deth Album III was one of two CDs I bought on the same day. It wasn't as good as I was hoping but still one that I enjoyed more than Dethalbum I.

Cradle of Filth's Manticore and Other Horrors is the second CD I bought this year...or first depending on how it's listed on the receipt. At first I referred to this as Mashed Potatoes: it was good but it was missing something meaty (like Death of Love from Godspeed or Lilith Immaculate from Venus Aversa). The more I listen to it though the more I like it. I'd put it on par with Midian at this point honestly. Miles better than Thronography though still several behind Vempire. I can still listen to and enjoy Manticore from beginning to end though so it wins out as my album of 2012.

This year I bought far too many albums I think I've lost track of the ones I have really enjoyed listened to. Though these are probably the albums I have enjoyed the most this year (that I can remember);

Tempest - Bob Dylan
Worship - A Place to Bury Strangers
Strange Girls Don't Cry - The Vandelles
Shift Adventures of Nooky Wood - John Cale
The Glorious Dead - The Heavy

Lonerisms-Tame Impala

Shields-Grizzly Bear

And if anyone can tell me how to post video, that would be very much appreciated.

Dosvidonya:
Lonerisms-Tame Impala

Shields-Grizzly Bear

And if anyone can tell me how to post video, that would be very much appreciated.

[ youtube= EndCodeBitHere ]

no spaces

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked