Ladies... You Know What I've Never, Not Once, Done In My Entire Life?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Chemical Alia:

spartan231490:

Chemical Alia:
My problem isn't that I don't notice if the lid is open or not. It's that I don't feel I should be the one responsible for touching that nasty toilet seat that dudes routinely splash their pee all over (and subsequently fail to clean off). It's just a matter of common courtesy.

No, it's not common courtesy, it's sexism. Why does a man have to put it down just so a woman doesn't have to put it up?

What? Because the woman isn't usually the one peeing all over the seat in the first place. If people cleaned up after their messes more often, it would be less of an issue. Expecting someone else to touch the seat when you're the messy party is where courtesy comes in. Not to mention a toilet has a lid for a reason and a bathroom looks neater when it's kept closed.

I don't understand how this isn't common sense.

so a woman doesn't have to put it up?

whaaaaa? wouldn't the woman be forced to bring it back down not put it up?

Also guys only pee on the seat when the seat is left down so if guys put up the seat there is no issue. At the same time if guys take the precaution of putting it up women should take the precaution of putting it down. Simple win win.

Kapri:
Lolololol sorry, I thought of the South Park episode about the toilet seat belts.

Really? South Park nicked a Carrot Top routine?

They really are cutting edge and insightful.

No, I don't always check because I really don't give a fuck. Of all the horrible things that could be on a toilet seat pee is probably the single least harmful. Urine is completely sterile when it comes out so basically it's just water. And there's always toilet paper to wipe my ass down with if need be.

You want dirty? Try camping out for three weeks in the middle of a mountain range where there are no bathrooms at all and you have to dig a hole in the ground every time you need to take a dump. I've wiped my ass with leaves and then washed my hands with river water, and I managed just fine. So no, I'm not terribly worried about getting a little weewee on my pituty.

The hard truth that we like to ignore is that none of our asses are even close to being clean ever and a little bit of pee pee isn't going to change that even the tiniest little bit.

I had to read the comments to figure out what the hell you were talking about. Yes putting the seat down is just such a hassle, oh the pain of being a man in a first world country. Lets compromise, put the seat and lid down when you're done. Then its inconvenient for everyone

lechat:
weird dynamic with guys and sitting down. i remember a friend of mine telling me it was girly or gay (funny he turned out to be gay) to pee sitting down and yet there is no reason to pee standing up except laziness and "i'm a man rawr!!"
regardless sitting down wont solve the problem of morning wood unless you want to keep your mouth open and spit it back into the bowl.

also i think that chart left out the "just had sex" version of peeing which can sometimes look like a lawn sprinkler best illustrated in me myself and irene

I love Me Myself and Irene such a funny movie but OT:

Siting on the toilet can cause splash back for a guy since he is peeing so close to the toilet your penis is almost touching it. It is also a lot easier and more natural peeing standing up. There is also the whole morning wood thing which is impossible sitting down but that is hard standing up still too though at least it is still doable.

lisadagz:

In my house (four guys and three gals here) we're expected to put the toilet lid (not just the seat) down anyway to stop the spread of germs when the flush goes off (especially when you poop, the flush can disperse it and it gets in your toothbrushes... apparently), so we've all got to do it anyway.

jollybarracuda:

But in all seriousness, i do always put the seat down when i'm done, along with the lid. It just looks nicer and less like a gas station restroom. Plus, when i found out all that stuff that gets sent into the air when you flush with the lid up - mother of god.

Rednog:

Aerosol goes out in the spaces between the seat/lid/bowl regardless of whether or not you put the lid down, it isn't an air tight system just because the lid is down. If all the aerosol was truly contained in the toilet just because the lid was down you'd have moisture collecting on the lid, but that doesn't happen, and would actually be a problem if that happened.

Even if it was airtight with the lid down, you have to use it with the lid up; stuff will still get in the air.
As for toothbrushes, the MythBusters looked at that and the type of bacteria they looked at-- one associated with solid waste-- they wound up finding everywhere, even outside the bathroom.
The moral here is to wash your hands, brush your teeth, bathe, clean your clothes, keep your living space clean, and not worry about anything beyond that (unless it's your job to clean a hospital or a manufacturing "clean room").

I almost always put both the seat and lid down when I'm done. I also wipe off the rim of the toilet after I'm done if I get any on it. Because I'm not an asshole.

General Vagueness:

Even if it was airtight with the lid down, you have to use it with the lid up; stuff will still get in the air.

I'm sorry, but how do you propose bacteria are getting into the air if in a hypothetical situation the toilet was airtight when the lid was down?

Rednog:
I'm sorry, but how do you propose bacteria are getting into the air if in a hypothetical situation the toilet was airtight when the lid was down?

When someone lifts the lid to use it, obviously.

While bacteria free, a permanently hermetically sealed toilet is rather pointless.

aba1:

lechat:
weird dynamic with guys and sitting down. i remember a friend of mine telling me it was girly or gay (funny he turned out to be gay) to pee sitting down and yet there is no reason to pee standing up except laziness and "i'm a man rawr!!"
regardless sitting down wont solve the problem of morning wood unless you want to keep your mouth open and spit it back into the bowl.

also i think that chart left out the "just had sex" version of peeing which can sometimes look like a lawn sprinkler best illustrated in me myself and irene

I love Me Myself and Irene such a funny movie but OT:

Siting on the toilet can cause splash back for a guy since he is peeing so close to the toilet your penis is almost touching it. It is also a lot easier and more natural peeing standing up. There is also the whole morning wood thing which is impossible sitting down but that is hard standing up still too though at least it is still doable.

"It is also a lot easier and more natural peeing standing up."
That's just not true. IIRC most cultures don't do it and I didn't grow up doing it, and when I first tried, even by myself, I had issues. As for the other stuff, IDK if I'm below average or something, but you can just sit farther back on the toilet, and if it's pointing up you just push it down a little, or lean forward a little, or both.
I think sitting is a better idea in general provided you have toilet paper; I've never heard about any post-pee method that seemed like it would work for making sure the area is clean and dry besides wiping it with something, and I don't know anyone that uses their hand for that. Personally several drops can come out afterwards so I give it a few seconds and then squeeze and wipe twice.

Chemical Alia:

spartan231490:

No, it's not common courtesy, it's sexism. Why does a man have to put it down just so a woman doesn't have to put it up?

What? Because the woman isn't usually the one peeing all over the seat in the first place. If people cleaned up after their messes more often, it would be less of an issue. Expecting someone else to touch the seat when you're the messy party is where courtesy comes in. Not to mention a toilet has a lid for a reason and a bathroom looks neater when it's kept closed.

I don't understand how this isn't common sense.

news flash: everyone is messy when they use the toilet, that's what it's there for, some people are just messy in a more controlled way
I think this is related, if only tangentially, to keeping any room or area clean, how well people wipe, and whether someone washes their hands or not-- some people see the importance or at least the value in one or all of these things and some people don't
I would hope everyone would make sure their body and anything they used (that they didn't throw away) are clean and usable after they use the bathroom but before they leave it; this isn't a perfect world though, so it only makes sense to check
two words: public schools... you don't want to know what I've seen in public school bathrooms

Dags90:

Rednog:

While bacteria free, a permanently hermetically sealed toilet is rather pointless.

Uhhh I don't think you or the other guy really understand how bacteria work, they just don't come shooting out of the toilet bowl when you open the lid if the toilet isn't being flushed, the water is stagnant. The real world ramifications if bacteria could just go wherever they wanted into the air would be devastating.

Even then in a situation where bacteria could just up and leave the water, which they can't, when you flush everything flushes down with it and it replaced by new water. Realistically the only bacteria you'd be exposed to when opening the lid in this unreal situation is the same bacteria you'd be dousing your toothbrush in when you make it wet from your tap water.

Man, I do not give a flying fuck if you leave the seat up, as long as you have it up while you are peeing. I never understood that trope....and I've never known anyone who actually had a problem with or arguments about leaving the seat up. I only care that the area is clean, I am not so addled by my lady parts that I can't find it within myself to check if the seat is down, and I don't think I know anyone who is.
I'm pretty sure that the whole 'leaving the seat up' thing was made up for story-telling purposes at some point in the past and people just think it's supposed to be a problem now.

Rednog:

General Vagueness:

I thought I made it clear right in that sentence, you have to open the the lid to use it. I don't know anyone whose body would form an airtight seal on a toilet seat. Now that I think about it this is also ignoring that the seat itself would have to have an airtight connection with the toilet bowl, which would most likely mean you couldn't lift it up, which would destroy half this argument.

Rednog:

Dags90:

Rednog:

Uhhh I don't think you or the other guy really understand how bacteria work, they just don't come shooting out of the toilet bowl when you open the lid if the toilet isn't being flushed, the water is stagnant. The real world ramifications if bacteria could just go wherever they wanted into the air would be devastating.

Even then in a situation where bacteria could just up and leave the water, which they can't, when you flush everything flushes down with it and it replaced by new water. Realistically the only bacteria you'd be exposed to when opening the lid in this unreal situation is the same bacteria you'd be dousing your toothbrush in when you make it wet from your tap water.

OK I see how I might not have been clear. It would happen *while* you're using the toilet. As for the rest, you're the one who implied the bacteria coming out between the lid and the seat was enough to be worth noting, which I think is on a similar scale to the exposure between the seat and someone's body, and have you ever heard of airborne bacteria?

General Vagueness:

Rednog:

General Vagueness:

I thought I made it clear right in that sentence, you have to open the the lid to use it. I don't know anyone whose body would form an airtight seal on a toilet seat. Now that I think about it this is also ignoring that the seat itself would have to have an airtight connection with the toilet bowl, which would most likely mean you couldn't lift it up, which would destroy half this argument.

Rednog:

Dags90:

OK I see how I might not have been clear. It would happen *while* you're using the toilet. As for the rest, you're the one who implied the bacteria coming out between the lid and the seat was enough to be worth noting, which I think is on a similar scale to the exposure between the seat and someone's body, and have you ever heard of airborne bacteria?

The space between the lid/seat/cover is worth noting because during a flush water becomes aerosol these droplets of water that become airborne can have bacteria within them. The space between the lid/seat/cover allows the aerosol to escape the confines of the toilet and spread throughout your bathroom.
Also, airborne bacteria are "airborne" because they were put up into the air by a force, whether this be coughing, sneezing, carried by an aerosol, etc. They don't do it of their own free will, there is a very big difference.

NightowlM:

spartan231490:

Chemical Alia:
My problem isn't that I don't notice if the lid is open or not. It's that I don't feel I should be the one responsible for touching that nasty toilet seat that dudes routinely splash their pee all over (and subsequently fail to clean off). It's just a matter of common courtesy.

This is a joke right? You can't seriously claim that this has anything to do with sexism right? Because really, you need to learn to pick your battles and point out actual sexism against men rather than this petty shit.

actually, it is sexism. Very mild sexism in the grand scheme of things (and honestly has no real affect on society as a whole nor is this a grave injustice), but sexism never the less. to expect men to capitulate for no other reason than because they are men and therefore are inferior.

There are plenty of posters from both genders in this thread who have rules that are a bit more fair like majority rules or putting the toilet lid down (some rules in which gender doesnt matter. GASP! it is almost like gender equality! madness!). Hell most guys dont want the toilet seat being up being the default position, we want there to be NO default position which is fair to BOTH sexes, rather than..you know..treat guys like second class citizens.

that said, some of the posters in this thread have made some good arguments for putting the toilet lid down. It does look better and it equally inconviences everyone, thereby ending the debate once and for all.

lisadagz:

Makes sense, it did seem like a bit of an unscientific problem/solution (a case of what 'feels' to be right rather than what is, like if your hands look clean then you figure they probably don't need a wash, even if you've been touching germy stuff) but then this is the same household that doesn't want a microwave because it's so unhealthy having 'microwaves going everywhere'.

It is unhealthy having microwaves going everywhere (depending on the wavelength and strength), that's why microwaves-- er, microwave ovens-- are required to have grounded metal inside them to absorb the microwaves-- that is, microwave radiation-- and have been for decades.

Zachary Amaranth:

Kapri:
Lolololol sorry, I thought of the South Park episode about the toilet seat belts.

Really? South Park nicked a Carrot Top routine?

They really are cutting edge and insightful.

IDK if that's where they got the idea but the episode didn't focus on that. It was more about the TSA, people paying for dumb supernatural stuff, and people getting their guts sucked out by the flush of a toilet after falling in.

Rednog:

The space between the lid/seat/cover is worth noting because during a flush water becomes aerosol these droplets of water that become airborne can have bacteria within them. The space between the lid/seat/cover allows the aerosol to escape the confines of the toilet and spread throughout your bathroom.

The space between someone's body and the lid should allow for that too, shouldn't it? You could flush after you get up and put down the lid but then you leave a larger window of time and space for things to drift out before you flush.

Rednog:
Also, airborne bacteria are "airborne" because they were put up into the air by a force, whether this be coughing, sneezing, carried by an aerosol, etc. They don't do it of their own free will, there is a very big difference.

Actually I was talking about bacteria that can survive being airborne-- there are a lot of bacteria in the air all the time, but most of them don't survive more than a second or two at the temperature, pressure, and humidity you usually find in an indoor bathroom. I would think the force of adding your waste to the water would cause some aerosolization.

Ryotknife:

NightowlM:

spartan231490:

This is a joke right? You can't seriously claim that this has anything to do with sexism right? Because really, you need to learn to pick your battles and point out actual sexism against men rather than this petty shit.

actually, it is sexism. Very mild sexism in the grand scheme of things (and honestly has no real affect on society as a whole nor is this a grave injustice), but sexism never the less. to expect men to capitulate for no other reason than because they are men and therefore are inferior.

There are plenty of posters from both genders in this thread who have rules that are a bit more fair like majority rules or putting the toilet lid down (some rules in which gender doesnt matter. GASP! it is almost like gender equality! madness!). Hell most guys dont want the toilet seat being up being the default position, we want there to be NO default position which is fair to BOTH sexes, rather than..you know..treat guys like second class citizens.

that said, some of the posters in this thread have made some good arguments for putting the toilet lid down. It does look better and it equally inconviences everyone, thereby ending the debate once and for all.

I really don't see how it is. For example, I have my own apartment, and I like to keep it neat. I keep my toilet seat down, and I expect that any of my guests would leave my bathroom the same way it looked when they came in. Which means that if you put the toilet seat up, you need to put it back down. And if you splashed pee somewhere because aiming is hard or whatever and you can't pee sitting down, I would expect that you take care of that as well.

I would expect my female guests to properly discard/dispose of their female nasty shit, such as tampons, just the same, in a manner that doesn't require me to go near it. If women needed to move the toilet seat from its default position every time they peed, then it would be fair for that duty to fall on us as well.

Never any problems with that in our household. You have to close the lid,to keep the animals out of the toilet.

That's how I was raised, and everyone I know always shuts the lid too.

Except for this one girl I shared a bathroom for a while. She not only left the toilet lid open, she had the habit of dropping things in it, like the rolls of toilet paper and nail-clippers. I took the precaution of keeping my toothbrush in my room.

I was far more annoyed with her behaviour than if she'd left the seat up. (But she was pretty annoying at any rate)

Chemical Alia:

Ryotknife:

NightowlM:

I really don't see how it is. For example, I have my own apartment, and I like to keep it neat. I keep my toilet seat down, and I expect that any of my guests would leave my bathroom the same way it looked when they came in. Which means that if you put the toilet seat up, you need to put it back down. And if you splashed pee somewhere because aiming is hard or whatever and you can't pee sitting down, I would expect that you take care of that as well.

I would expect my female guests to properly discard/dispose of their female nasty shit, such as tampons, just the same, in a manner that doesn't require me to go near it. If women needed to move the toilet seat from its default position every time they peed, then it would be fair for that duty to fall on us as well.

okay, that is "your house, your rules" which btw is fine. But that is not what you said before.

"My problem isn't that I don't notice if the lid is open or not. It's that I don't feel I should be the one responsible for touching that nasty toilet seat that dudes routinely splash their pee all over (and subsequently fail to clean off). It's just a matter of common courtesy."

nowhere did you mention or insinuate your property or guests, it was a blanket statement revolving around genders. But, its christmas-ish time so ill just leave this as another case of the crappy English language striking again where you clearly meant to insinuate a scenario and a different scenario was insinuated instead due to the crappiness that is English.

EDIT:....and i just realized that any word involving "crap" is probably a poor choice of words considering the subject at hand....oh well.

A great and hilarious post, someone is feeling put upon at home!

Anyway I have a hard time believing you've NEVER sat down on a toilet with the seat up. I have several times, usually late at night when I don't turn on the bathroom light or am half asleep. It is always terrible. It is a common courtesy to put the seat down. You might not remember every time but you can at least do it most of the time. Is that really so hard?

This is a really bizarre problem, and I'm not sure how 'toilet seat down' became the default position (over say seat and lid down, or both up). While there are gender issues at play sometimes, I don't really care about that.

Here's the thing - if the toilet seat is up, it is really hard for a dude to get pee on it. If it's down, then it's damn near impossible not to get pee on it unless the guy is sitting. My personal experience is that girls leave the toilet more of a mess than guys, precisely because guys put the toilet seat up and so don't get pee on it.

I'm aware of several households however where, it seems largely due to the poor design of their toilets, girls get pee on the seat (more precisely, on the underside of the seat, because it splashes up). When that happens, guess who has to touch the "nasty toilet seat that girls routinely splash their pee all over"?

Honestly, it's a toilet. They're always going to get dirty. Both genders and everybody involved in using a toilet has to deal with that. I agree that seat down somehow looks more neat than seat up, but as others have pointed out - why not both seat and lid down?

Ryotknife:

Chemical Alia:

Ryotknife:

okay, that is "your house, your rules" which btw is fine. But that is not what you said before.

"My problem isn't that I don't notice if the lid is open or not. It's that I don't feel I should be the one responsible for touching that nasty toilet seat that dudes routinely splash their pee all over (and subsequently fail to clean off). It's just a matter of common courtesy."

nowhere did you mention or insinuate your property or guests, it was a blanket statement revolving around genders. But, its christmas-ish time so ill just leave this as another case of the crappy English language striking again where you clearly meant to insinuate a scenario and a different scenario was insinuated instead due to the crappiness that is English.

EDIT:....and i just realized that any word involving "crap" is probably a poor choice of words considering the subject at hand....oh well.

What else would I be talking from, other than my experiences? Other people can do whatever they want, of course, though I do maintain that it's mostly a problem of common courtesy that ultimately falls on the guys for reasons of personal cleanliness and responsibility.

Easton Dark:

Meatspinner:

Also this thread has an entirely too much TMI!

Wouldn't it just be... TMI? Too much I, perhaps.

It makes perfect sence when you think of it in math terms

a = Too Much

i = Information

a*(a*i)= ಠ_ಠ

I always put the toilet seat down and shut the lid before flushing. I also always give the seat a wipe before sitting. I still think it's silly that people have arguments about the position of the seat since it takes all of 2 seconds to adjust it. I understand the issue though. Women always sit, sometimes men sit, makes sense to be down.

I believe in gender equality. Either women have to move the toilet seat or I get to yell at them for not doing it. I'm fine with either.

I literally never lift the seat, and I'm male. It's because I like to test my sharpshooting skills, and because I have the etiquette of a filthy animal, a Warthog maybe. So I have never induced the wrath of women-folk for leaving it up

Rednog:

Right, but when someone pees it disturbs the surface of the water, creating small droplets that bounce out. Hence "using" the toilet.

I just do it up like Foul Bachelor Frog.

Piss in the shower!

I always put the seat down for the sake of "no one wants to see toilet rings".

I tend to look too, when my mom was young and in girlscouts her friend used a pit toilet while camping and didn't look; turned out there was a porcupine in the toilet and she got stabbed in her girly bits. Hearing that story, you kinda look first.

How is this even a thing? Ideally, people shouldn't have to inspect the toilet seat in the comfort of their own home. Why is there ever a need to raise the toilet seat? Toilet bowls are really quite wide. If you can't land it in the bowl without pissing all over the seat you should sit the fuck down.

Chemical Alia:

Ryotknife:

Chemical Alia:

What else would I be talking from, other than my experiences? Other people can do whatever they want, of course, though I do maintain that it's mostly a problem of common courtesy that ultimately falls on the guys for reasons of personal cleanliness and responsibility.

And again, you pull out "let's put the responsible on the guys" thing, which you cannot say is not sexism, but then you'll claim it isn't sexism, Jesus. Listen to yourself.

Look before you squat.

Now, if a someone pisses all over the seat then yeah they should clean that shit up. But the toilet seat ain't dirty, before it got pissed on or after, so if there isn't any piss on it you don't have a right to complain.

Hold on, from some of the comments here I'm noticing some men consider it okay to take a piss when the toilet seat is DOWN?

You piss stading up when the seat is down? Were you raised in a fucking cave?

Lift the seat, take a piss. You now have a wider target and it's actually easier to clean should you fail at basic Man 101.

Used to be that normally I would end up looking at the toilet seat before sitting down, but on those occasional times when it's 2-3 am, and I'm stumbling half-asleep, terrified of the prospect of the solar flare induced by turning on the bathroom light, and I would take a leap of faith.

But now, no matter who you are, in my place you put the seat and lid down before you flush and you leave them there for the next person to arrange as they like.

Chemical Alia:

Wait what?

There's a number of ways what you said could be interpreted but I'll just try clarify where I think you're going because from where I'm standing I can't think of a single meaning to your post which isn't ridiculous.

1. I assume you only touch the seat (not the actual porcelain).
2. No one actually pisses everywhere. I'm dead serious.
A person who is in complete control of their faculties will almost always lift the seat (meaning it stays clean) and even if someone drips or sprays (on the porcelain), everyone I know will clean up a non-public toilet. I've never seen a privately owned (as in, in a person's house) toilet have any urine on it, people clean up.
3. What do you think we (males) have to do in public toilets?
4. You think anyone wants to touch the seat? Of course not. Your post comes off a little, ... douchey, spoiled, entitled, cuntish, off.

To the people who put down the toilet seat and lid, I use to do that, but people somehow forget to flush occasionally and will put the lid down (because they notice that's how it was when they entered) and it becomes awful.

To be honest, I don't even think about it any more, I just do whatever.

Rose and Thorn:
I really only know women and I only sit on a public toilet is I REALLY have to, so no real worries about a dirty toilet seat. I think I would notice if there was a puddle before I sat down anyway, I never put my fanny anywhere without looking first.

Protip: In many English speaking countries a fanny is a vagina. The internet is an international community, it helps to keep that kind of thing in mind. For example when I put on my thongs, I would say "pluggers" on the internet; because I don't mean underwear, I mean footwear.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked