Which is worse?
Hot
80.7% (415)
80.7% (415)
Cold
19.1% (98)
19.1% (98)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Which is worse - Hot weather or cold weather?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

And by "hot" I mean "dang-I'm-sweating-in-places-I-didn't-even-know-possible" hot. At least 100 degrees Fahrenheit ('Murican here).
And for cold, we're talking ice-cold wind in your face, snow on the ground, and big gray clouds as far as the eye can see. So basically, of the most uncomfortable features each has to offer, which is worse to you?

If you've never had the misfortune of dealing with such extremes before, just call to mind your own personal definitions of really hot/cold weather.

And since you asked, I hate cold weather.

Hot weather. It's easier to put on a jacket then to cool off.

Hot. Because it's easier to-

Twilight_guy:

Fuck.

Mr Cwtchy:

Twilight_guy:

Fuck.

Fuck.

Well in that case, winter/cold weather is more awesome because of snow and it makes sleeping the best thing in the world.

Cold. I get cold when it's 30 degrees C out so you can imagine how unpleasant actual cold weather is for me.

Hot weather. It's far too uncomfortable and you feel compelled to be lethargic. All you can do is find shade, get a cool drink and hope for a fan.

At least in cold weather you can wrap up warm, stamp around in boots and you get the need to actually do things to keep yourself warm. At least for me, I can cope with cold weather much better than hot weather, so hot weather is worse.

Both are unpleasant, and I enjoy generally hot weather a lot more than generally cold weather, but once both have gotten to unpleasant extremes then hot weather is worse, and it's honestly not particularly close. Getting in out of the cold into the roasty indoors, drinking hot beverages...it's actually quite pleasant. Sure, it's nippy outside, but we spend most of our time INSIDE, and it's quite easy to keep the inside toasty warm. Worst case scenario you have blankets and sweaters and cuddling.

Hot weather...you just sweat. You sweat outside, you sweat inside. You can't sleep because it's so fucking hot. You just toss around in a puddle of your own sweat. And god forbid it's hot AND damp, it clings to you like a second skin.

You can always put on another jacket, but there's a limit to how naked you can get.

Also, I don't actually mind cold.

Hot and for some reason I live in the hot and it can get to 120 degrees. D:

At least in the cold you can bury yourself in blankets, and you can only take off to many cloths when it gets stupid hot.

Hot sucks, and if it weren't for the whole breathing thing the only solution would be to just hang out under water until it gets cooler out.

For me, cold.

With hot, the worst it gets is annoying and frustrating, due to the sweat and stickiness (currently like that in Australia, damn it all) but with cold, it can be downright fucking painful. Nothing is worse than that biting feeling in your fingers as they're turning numb.

Cold, I cannot stand the cold and unfortunately I live in the UK. You can never cover 100% of your body and so when you're out it's impossible to remain completely warm on a very cold day. I like the heat on the other hand unless it's ridiculously hot, and I'm lucky that I don't sweat much compared to most people.

definitely hot weather.. as people have said above and i tell people, you can always put on more clothes in the cold.. in the hot you get to naked.. and if you're still hot.. tough bikkies!

I always find it harder to cool down than to warm up. Fans only tend to circulate slightly cooler air and drinking loads makes you spend half of the day in the loo.

Hot weather.

As everyone has already said, if it's cold you can put on more clothing, but when it's hot, well... there's only so much clothing you can take off.

Besides, I'm just a creature built for cold climate. I'm quite comfortable in cold weather, so long as I keep moving. But hot? Ugh.

Cold. I have winter eczema on my knuckles, so if I go for a walk without gloves in -20 degree Celsius weather, it'll look like I had a bare-knuckle boxing match with a brick wall (gloves don't completely negate this effect). Having your hands being too numb to open a door sucks, too. In general, I'm just more inured to hot weather than cold, even though I'm Canadian.

Hot weather is also more conducive to running (which I do a lot of). I think cold weather drains your energy about as much as hot (could be wrong on that, though), and in hot weather, you don't have to slow down to dodge puddles/pits of snow. And you don't have to armour up in 3-4 layers of clothing just to go out to check the mail.

Hot for the same reason expressed so much already...

Although humidity makes both heat and cold so much worse. Hot with humidity becomes a choking blanket kind of hot and cold with humidity becomes bone chilling.

Definitely hot is worse, because it really drains the energy out of you and with cold weather all you have to do is throw a warm coat on and the cold is pretty much negated. You can't exactly take your skin off to cool down in the heat, there is a limit to the layers of clothing you can take off.

Cold weather can fuck off and die. I hate the cold. It makes me terrible at anything requiring reflexes or precision movement, and I hate having to wear multiple layers just to try and stay warm.

Cold weather. I'm quite weak when it comes to withstanding the cold whereas with hot weather I don't mind at all. Sometimes I don't even notice.

Cold weather is definitely worse for me. I love hot, dry weather. My general shape also makes me very efficient at shedding body heat, high surface area to mass ratio.

Hot weather. you can always add more clothes. There are only so many clothes you can take off before you run out....or get sent into jail.

plus sleeping is so much better in cold weather than hot weather.

Dags90:
Cold weather is definitely worse for me. I love hot, dry weather. My general shape also makes me very efficient at shedding body heat, high surface area to mass ratio.

awww, dry heat is cheating. It can be 100 degrees outside and it will feel like 70.

As someone from the South, I appreciate every day of cold weather.

Ryotknife:
awww, dry heat is cheating. It can be 100 degrees outside and it will feel like 70.

Eh, it's naturally less humid in the colder months where I live in terms of relative humidity, so my conception of cold weather is usually pretty dry. Cold and humid is awful though.

You're also a lot less likely to be killed by a window air conditioner than a room heater. Think about that.

Dags90:

Ryotknife:

Eh, it's usually naturally less humid in the colder months where I live in terms of relative humidity, so my conception of cold weather is usually pretty dry. Cold and humid is awful though.

You're also a lot less likely to be killed by a window air conditioner than a room heater. Think about that.

dunno, im more likely to be killed by people in hot weather than during cold weather. Hot weather seems to make people go crazy, look at the crap that comes out of Florida and nearby areas.

Also, The zombie attack that happened (no joke) happened in during hot weather with high humidity.

Ryotknife:
dunno, im more likely to be killed by people in hot weather than during cold weather.

Only because people are more active when it's warmer, hinting that most people prefer warmer weather even if they lie to themselves that they prefer winter.

Dags90:

Ryotknife:
dunno, im more likely to be killed by people in hot weather than during cold weather.

Only because people are more active when it's warmer, hinting that most people prefer warmer weather even if they lie to themselves that they prefer winter.

well yea, people like warm weather. The topic at hand is hot vs cold weather :)

Course what is warm is subjective. I consider 40 degrees to be warm, I know people in the south that consider 80 degrees to be warm (which would be hot to me)

Ryotknife:

Course what is warm is subjective. I consider 40 degrees to be warm, I know people in the south that consider 80 degrees to be warm (which would be hot to me)

I've heard British people complain when it manages to creep beyond 77 (25C) and gets sunny. I'd consider 80 to be pleasantly warm in a t-shirt and shorts. There was one day in July when I was in Montreal where it was about 72ish, humid, and with a reasonable breeze; I switched from being cold enough to wear a thin sweater and light jacket to taking it off when the sun was on me.

Dags90:

Ryotknife:

I've heard British people complain when managed to creep beyond 70 (25C) and gets sunny. I'd consider 80 to be pleasantly warm in a t-shirt and shorts. There was one day in July when I was in Montreal where it was about 72ish, humid, and with a reasonable breeze; I switched from being cold enough to wear a thin sweater and light jacket to taking it off when the sun was on me.

huh...i always thought Britian had a temperate climate, not too hot, not too cold. I hear that if they see snow they consider it the end of days.

funny story, In Alabama where I work (not live), in the winter time it will be below freezing in the morning. Afternoon? 80-85F (30C) ish with high humidity.

Annoying as hell.

EDIT: i keep forgeting that most people use Celsius and i was using Fahrenheit. Sorry about that folks, completely slipped my mind.

Hot.

Because straight up... it's more painful.

It's gonna take a moment for the cold to set to causing pain of the numbing, burning, pinprick sensation. And then I'm not even sure now long it lasts.

But the heat... its discomfort is practically pain already. The sun's rays beating down on you. And it's only going to get worse.

Cold.
My ability to retain heat is almost non-existent, right now in my house it's 60-something, I'm wearing a hoodie (not too thick though) because heat is just so precious.

Dags90:

Ryotknife:

I've heard British people complain when managed to creep beyond 70 (25C) and gets sunny. I'd consider 80 to be pleasantly warm in a t-shirt and shorts. There was one day in July when I was in Montreal where it was about 72ish, humid, and with a reasonable breeze; I switched from being cold enough to wear a thin sweater and light jacket to taking it off when the sun was on me.

im australian and anything about 26c is too hot for me, i love cold weather even when it gets down to -3 to -5 c

wombat_of_war:
im australian and anything about 26c is too hot for me, i love cold weather even when it gets down to -3 to -5 c

Trade with me? It's winter and I really want to feel the sun. A day on Bondi Beach would be pretty much heaven right now.

Now I really, really want to go to a beach. Thanks a lot, wombat.

I'm in Australia so we don't get incredibly cold but generally speaking we get both, and I've come to the conclusion that I hate HUMIDITY. I'm happy with hot or cold, but fuck humid weather. Overcast muggy hot without rain in the worst, I would say. I'm absolutely fine with dry and hot, raining and cold, dry and cold, but humidity leads to discomfort in all scenarios that don't involve precipitation.

Dislike hot weather more.

I start to freeze at around 30' Celsius if I'm in water. On land it really depends what I'm wearing, but generally under 25' Celsius I'll start to freeze. And by start to freeze I mean give it 3 hours and I'll have hypothermia, which is kinda a problem when its winter here. Nevertheless, I can use willpower and increase activity to heat myself and keep going, and I can put on extra layers of clothing to keep warm.
I can withstand heat quite well generally. Anything up to 38' Celsius is pleasantly warm, over 40' Celsius starts to get uncomfortable [Unless I'm in water, then 40' Celsius is the perfect temperature]. However, when I get stuck in heat, I can't use willpower and keep going to cool down - it just heats me up. I have to stop doing anything to cool down, which doesn't work if I'm working. In addition, if I am working or something, I can't shed layers. I can't work naked, and that's what's required to counter the heat sometimes. If I'm out I can't suddenly strip if it gets hot, whilst if it gets cold I can huddle up, buy an extra layer, or have though at bought one with me to wear.

It probably also comes down to how close I've come to losing consciousness thanks to each. I've hit hypothermia before, but other than being painful it wasn't that big a deal. Yesterday in the heat, however, I was about 10 seconds off passing out and had to leave work and go home, then have a cold shower and drink 2L of water before I felt close to normal again.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked