Empathy Quotient

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I got a score of 56, which is apparently above average. Despite being incredibly socially awkward, it's not particularly surprising. I've never thought that my social awkwardness stemmed from a lack of empathy. I'm perceptive and am good at reading situations, I just have no idea what the fuck to do with the information :P

Thats odd. Iv'e been diagnosed with Aspergers and yet I got a 37. Huh...granted its been some time since my diagnosis so I guess that means I have improved. Yay!

I got the hilarious score of 69. Oy. Makes sense. Having empathy is like requirement #1 of my current job.

47, which bugs me a bit because that's the average women, although its good to know that i am 5 ahead of the average guy haha.

i suppose i got the score because im fully capable of empathy, i just dont go out my way too

27. Sort of figured, but ok. It's a bit insulting to think I could be confused with someone with Aspergers, but I console myself with the fact that a good amount of the questions weren't able to be answered well with the answer system, and about half were "Are you socially inept?"

64... yep, not surprising at all. I'm so goddamned empathetic, in films that have scenes that are embarrassing for one of the main characters I can't even be in the same room as the movie that is playing. I have to go to the bathroom or just go to my room for a minute, I simply can't stand it because I feel just how damned embarrassing it'd be to be in that situation

I scored 15, so technically I'm autistic.

Yeah, I think this test is bullshit. Except for a slight lack of social grace born out of my general disdain for people, I have none of the symptoms associated with autism or asperger syndrome.

Hell, the only reason I don't have a very easy time with people is because I am terrible at small talk. If we have any sort of common ground I have no trouble socializing.

I got 20...
I'm not autistic as far as I know, I just think the questions were bad. For quite a few of them I was thinking "Well... I *guess* I disagree with that, but I wouldn't put it like *that*... I'll just pick "slightly disagree" then.". There were several that I would answer differently in different situations - "I can usually appreciate the other person's viewpoint, even if I don't agree with it." is very different when the person's viewpoint is on, say, organ donation than which Zelda game is the best.

Still, even if the test had been a little fairer, I'm sure I would've scored low anyway.

25. Honestly, I consider myself quite empathetic, in that I always try to imagine how it feels to be the other person, and I often feel the emotions that I think the other person is feeling. The problem is that I always assume that my assumptions are wrong, so when the test asks whether I can tell what people are feeling or thinking (as it does repeatedly), I say that I disagree. But who knows, maybe I am always right, and I just don't realize it. The miracle of low self-esteem!

I got a 30.

Which really doesn't help my pre-existing paranoia that I may indeed have Asperger's. Which is something I don't want.

I'd like to think my low EQ is more or less due to my solitary childhood. (There were virtually no children my age in my area growing up.)

Goddamn it, that's the second thing that's told me I'm autistic today.

These things always tell me I've probably got aspergers or the like, and I'm fairly sure that's not the case.

43. So yeah dead average almost. Whereas my social behaviour is decidedly not average and very bad. I'm not too surprised though, I was taking part in a study on empathy on mathematicians/engineers/physicists etc and the guy said the results were showing that that sort of personal often has a fairly high intellectual empathy and the study seemed to be asking questions about both intellectual and emotional empathy.

(Pyschopaths often have high intellectual empathy, because you need it to be able to screw with someones mind so it's not necessarily a good thing)

Saying that I figure I've got average emotional empathy as well. I don't do well in social situations because I'm shy not because of empathy problems. Shyness even requires you to be aware of other people to some extent

The test isn't about how social you are, people... it's about how well you can understand another person's viewpoint and accept their feelings. And it's not calling you autistic if you get a score of 20 or lower, it's saying you likely have the same consideration for other people that an autistic person or someone with Asperger syndrome might.

Anyway, I got a 44, which doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

spartan231490:

Anoni Mus:

Esotera:

I guess that means I'm going to kill you all :)

What is this test actually based on? I find it hard to believe that the average is around 40.

Are you psicopath ot something?

Being honest here, I think it's around 1% to 4% of the population that are psicopaths. So there as to be a lot on the escapist.

fyi, that's not how you spell psychopath. I only point this out, because it took me like 2 minutes to figure out what you were trying to say, and I'm still not sure.

Yeah thanks for the correction.

Huh, only 58, I thought I'd do better than that. At least I'm above average, which is nice. And certainly above the average for this site, which is unsurprising.

Still there's always room for improvement.

Pretty average, but a lot of the questions had little to do with empathy and more with social skill. I'd say when it comes to empathy I'm below average, because what I find to be 'worthy of empathy' is often very different from what other people believe is 'worthy of empathy' (for a lack of better words), mainly due to my viewpoints on society and the things I've seen in life.

When it comes to social skills, though, I find it often very easy to read someone else's emotions/true feelings/sincerity. Granted, I haven't always been able to check if my read was correct. Especially people that are lying or hiding something from me, and people who are fake.

So, average score, but that doesn't make me a nice person.
I am very selective in who I am nice to and who I choose to simply not give a *PEEP* about.

I've got 53, which is just above average.

I can see that, since I tend to know a lot about human nature and the emotions that they go through in certain situations.

SimpleThunda':

Pretty average, but a lot of the questions had little to do with empathy and more with social skill. I'd say when it comes to empathy I'm below average, because what I find to be 'worthy of empathy' is often very different from what other people believe is 'worthy of empathy' (for a lack of better words), mainly due to my viewpoints on society and the things I've seen in life.

When it comes to social skills, though, I find it often very easy to read someone else's emotions/true feelings/sincerity. Granted, I haven't always been able to check if my read was correct. Especially people that are lying or hiding something from me, and people who are fake.

So, average score, but that doesn't make me a nice person.
I am very selective in who I am nice to and who I choose to simply not give a *PEEP* about.

There are two types of empathy, intellectual empathy and emotional empathy. Intellectual empathy is about understanding how other people are feeling and what they're doing etc which it sounds like you're good at. Often very analytic people, who would not be expected to have high empathy, have high intellectual empathy.

Emotional empathy is replicating feelings that other people are having. Feeling sad when they're sad, happy when they're happy etc. This is the one that people normally think of and has the effects people expect.

This tested both at the same time which I guess led to some people being surprised at having a fairly average empathy score

26, what the hell? I'm pretty much the most empathetic person in my group and am currently studying to become a health practitioner! Yet I answered everything honestly...

I'm not one of those people who'd be proud of a low score either. :(

I got 31, two points away from being average. I'm not too bother by the result as I do view myself to being antisocial and it could of been worse (like if my score was 20 or less).

I have a feeling it marked me down for 'I would never break a law' and such, which is balls.

25, so i'm low. Interesting... but I expected as much.

This just makes me even more curious as to whether I may have Aspergers or not. God damn.

46. Woo, I'm average. I honestly consider myself pretty shit in social situations, but I guess I have my moments of empathy. Test seemed pretty badly crafted though.

shrekfan246:
The test isn't about how social you are, people... it's about how well you can understand another person's viewpoint and accept their feelings. And it's not calling you autistic if you get a score of 20 or lower, it's saying you likely have the same consideration for other people that an autistic person or someone with Asperger syndrome might.

Anyway, I got a 44, which doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

To be fair, the test does bear a strong resemblance to a social/emotional intelligence test. It's at least clearly weighing your social abilities as a deciding factor in your final score, as most of the questions can be factored into social ability in some way. Plus, a lot of the questions are the exact sort of things you'd want to ask a person who might have Asperger.

That said, yeah, people really shouldn't be going "derp, I got a 20, must have Aspergers".

I got 18.
Higher than some other tough guys around here. Seems I have to become more hard bodied.
Now to try and get a 0! :p

53 for me, which is above average. I'm not sure about the accuracy of the test so don't be too distressed if you have a low score. Either way, I've tutored some kids, so it's certainly useful to have a high score.

I_am_a_Spoon:
26, what the hell? I'm pretty much the most empathetic person in my group and am currently studying to become a health practitioner! Yet I answered everything honestly...

I'm not one of those people who'd be proud of a low score either. :(

Some parts seemed to social skills or your own assumed social skills. While those can be useful it doesn't mean it makes you a nice caring person. So don't worry. Besides I fudged some answers a bit.

17/80... huh... to be honest expecting the old me to get that score, then again I preferred the old me.

I got 14, I''m not really surprised

27, or 'Low'.

Sounds about right. I tend to be very in-tune with the emotional states of those I consider my friends and have an almost total disinterest in the emotional states of those I do not.

So, yeah, probably a fair enough score.

Not really surprised, I tend to not care if I "offend" someone plus I'm rather awkward and many of those questions seemed to be measuring your social skills. I have actually wondered if I might be a borderline sociopath or something considering how hard it is for me to feel for others. It also doesn't help that my answers to questions like "Friends usually talk to me about their problems as they say that I am very understanding." are influenced by the fact that all my friends just as emotionally removed as me, so we don't really have deep conversations like that with anyone.

Eh, 48. I'm boring average. Not going to kill anybody, not going to be the bestest human being evah.

By the way I love the macho loner thing, makes great fictional characters, but are we supposed to celebrate low empathy like it's a victory of some kind?

I got a 22. According to the Internet I have Aspergers and/or Autism! Wooooo!

However, I had a lot of feelings of ambivalence about some of the questions; and I wish there was more middle ground answers available; as I thought "eh, sometimes." to a lot of the questions. Furthermore, I think the wording is a bit off.

40, which is close to the average of men. Sounds good, but I really don't have much empathy for anyone outside the close family, and hardly even then. Perhaps I was a bit too gentle on the questions.

JoJo:
I got 25, but I should clarify that I have been diagnosed with Aspergers, the test says most people with Asperger Syndrome or high-functioning autism score about 20 so I've come out pretty high for someone with AS.

Have you had a "normal" childhood, rather than special schools and such?

I know 20+ people with Asperger or higher on the autistic spectrum, as well as some with ADHD thrown in the mix, and the one thing I constantly find makes me consistently better at social interaction is the fact that ALL of those people got diagnosed prior to starting school, while I myself didn't get my diagnosis until I was past that part of life.

I figure that interacting with people who were, and originally considering myself, "perfectly normal", has taught me to "fake" normality, if only to a degree.

11. Geez, I knew I was a bit awkward, but sheesh. Makes me wonder how I manage to have so many people who like hanging around me.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked