tv intros need to die

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

so after watching the louie intro for the 20th time and finally deciding it is the worst intro i have ever seen i have to wonder why the fuck do tv shows still insist on forcing this crap onto us?

apart from the simpsons and maybe the few original shows that decide to change the intro after 10 seasons so i can watch it 3 times and then be bored again i would honestly prefer shows to be 2 minuets shorter

Honestly if it is there for the same reasons as having a establishing shot. It helps put you into the right mind set for the show. If you went from a random ass commercial straight to the middle of a drama it would be off putting and a little confusing, intros help ease the transition.

What is this heresy? You shall never take away my Star Trek intros! NEVAR!

Goosebumps every time.

aba1:
Honestly if it is there for the same reasons as having a establishing shot. It helps put you into the right mind set for the show. If you went from a random ass commercial straight to the middle of a drama it would be off putting and a little confusing, intros help ease the transition.

Pretty much this. A good intro helps set the stage (so to speak). It allows the viewer to settle in and anticipate what's to come. It's also useful for cuing in newcomers that aren't familiar with the show.

lechat:
i would honestly prefer shows to be 2 minuets shorter

Why? What's wrong with musical interludes?

But but Psych has the best intros. They do unique melodies and filters for specials. Why would you skip them?

That second one wasn't an episode from India that airs the US whenever that episode comes on.

But what about the Doctor Who intro? That's good, isn't it?

good intro

notice how in a mere 47 seconds that intro shows all important characters and their archetypes. seriously you can never watch an episode of caprica and that intro would be enough to keep you caught up enough to understand the last 2 episodes however you have to admit after 10 seasons you would have seen that intro enough times to start scratching your own eyes out

bad intro

please note that is a spoof of the louie intro. thats right the louie intro is so boring that on an internet were i can find a clip of a someone teaching how to boil water noone found the intro interesting enough to upload

worlds best intro

you know how many times i have fast forwarded a lost intro? 0. mainly because by the time i hit play again i would have skipped 30 seconds of the episode but you have to admit short and simple is the way to go

Neverhoodian:
What is this heresy? You shall never take away my Star Trek intros! NEVAR!

And then you go and forget about the best one...

Someone clearly hasn't seen an episode of Justified.

I blame the music modern shows get. The 60s to the 80s were the golden age of the tv intro sequence and were packed with iconic theme tunes. They're so dull these days...

Also...

Froggy Slayer:

...this.

Why does everyone forget the three best?

Are you honestly saying you could not watch this over 200 times? The opening music / montage are always great! :D It gets you in the mood for some great TV without a shadow of a doubt.

I mean look at that! Does that not get you pumped to watch a great TV Show? It's the guy from Casualty turning into a panther.

TV intros rule.

Froggy Slayer:

It used to be. Take a look at some of the last few.

To me they look like crap and I hate the new music as well.

OT: There is this new invention called a mute button. Most of them are no more than 2 mins. Whats the problem?
As it has already been said some of them are good. Star Trek, Doctor Who (older ones) and I have always liked Stargate SG-1 for the epic music.

I never get tired of The Wire's intro :p. It sets the mood very well. Every season has a different variation of "Way down in the hole" (by Tom Waits I think). I love The Wire, go see it.

lechat:
worlds best intro

you know how many times i have fast forwarded a lost intro? 0. mainly because by the time i hit play again i would have skipped 30 seconds of the episode but you have to admit short and simple is the way to go

i'm with this guy. lost has an awesome intro, short and sweet. if you ever watch a british sitcom called spaced, another prime example (i would link, but cannot find a link thats not blocked due to copyright).

i don't mind a 30 second-1 minute intro, stuff like the walking dead, american horror story or game of thrones, because it so well done it gets you in the mood, and its not excessive, but dexter's intro pisses me right off. its been 7 seasons, and the intro is like 1 minute 40 or something... i always end up skipping it now

I think everyone is forgetting the best intro to any TV show ever.

Best intro to a TV show ever. Has all other intros beat.

Can't believe nobody's mentioned the Firefly intro.

Which I can't find any videos of, which is very surprising. :S

But then I'd miss out on these!

How could you do that to the world.

Edit:

Binnsyboy:
Snippy~

Hahaha!
You commented while I was trying to find one, had to just settle with just the song though.

I do not mind, as long as they're not too long. For example, Breaking Bads very short intro is the kind I like.
Game of Thrones on the other hand, have a very long intro, but it is somehow amended by the cool visuals and wonderful music. I do find myself skipping it sometimes though.

I don't know, I think some intros are cool enough to watch as many times as there are episodes (well, along with the actual episode, of course).

I also think it's a good way to basically set you up for watching whatever it is you're about to watch, for the most part. I honestly think it'd look weird if TV shows just plunged straight to the action with their names overlayed in the first few seconds of the episode or something.

Now, what actually needs to die, is movie intros. At least TV intros generally take like 30 seconds, but these overindulgent, boring and pointless several minute long intros certain movies have can go straight to hell. Like that shit with Skyfall. It got old in 30 seconds, and then it went on for like 2 minutes more.

Doesn't it have something to do with FCC regulations? I want to say that it is related to the War of the Worlds broadcast from way back when people thought that Mars was really invading earth.

T.V. intro is like the cover to a book or comic, it tells you what kind of show it is and establishes the world. You take Lost which is a mystery show it has a very mysterious title and gets you right into the show without explanation. A comedy show like Friends is a fun lively intro with a catchy song and crazy hijinks which tells you we are not going to see many serious storylines.
Battlestar Galactica sets up the world and the plot with a sad soundtrack and slow shots of serious people it shows you that this show is about a desperate Dispora, annnd then taiko drums and fast sexy action shots. Sums up the show very well.
Justified is a personal fave, mashing old time deep south with the modern world. Anachronism personified by the shadowy figure stalking through it. But a justified anachronism considering the darkness that still exists in this landscape.
Bob's Burgers is a great one showing this completely down on it's luck family scrabbling tooth and nail to keep a successful business open. You also take an old show like The 10th kingdom, You know EXACTLY what they mean by the 10th kingdom by the end of the credits even if you go into it cold. Samurai Jack tells you literally everything you need to know to watch an episode in 30 seconds by Mako no less, the official king of expository narration, pure class.

H.B.O. to me is the king of the title sequence. You have The Wire which tells a story with visuals and encourages you to use your mind and piece together what the show is about. The Sopranos about a mobster driving out of the city, through New Jersey to his very nice home. Telling us this show is about bringing crime home with you. Deadwood is about the dreams of the old west personified by the horse riding into town and then vanishing. Considering a theme of the show is about government choking out the old western freedoms I think it works well.
The Game of Thrones intro is as essential as the map on the inlay cover to a fantasy book that you use to follow the geography, because is serves the exact same purpose, at the end of season 1 you know exactly where the Wall is in relation to Winterfell and King's landing. It's a fantastic use of an opening title and it's one that benefits more as the show goes on.

Man I could go on, these are only my own opinions and it's kind of a little hobby of mine to deconstruct program titles, but a hell of a lot of work goes into a lot of them and the best ones you never forget. So they don't need to die.

TV shows are still made to be watched on TV. I imagine these days, just as many people watch them online or on DVD, but most of them are still written and put together to be watched on TV, one episode each week. And in that context an intro makes sense, it's sort of a bookend, a marking that now you're watching this particular show and can forget about whatever aired before it.

I know what you're saying though, when you plow through episodes of a single show and have to watch the intro over and over again, it looses all purpose and quickly starts to become annoying.

Al-Bundy-da-G:
But but Psych has the best intros. They do unique melodies and filters for specials. Why would you skip them?

That second one wasn't an episode from India that airs the US whenever that episode comes on.

I love Psych's intro with passion! Just the original song is enough to put me in a good mood and I had that for my ringtone for a while. The specials are great, the clips they show are great, all in all I like intros.

What I don't like though is when a show spend too much time telling us what happened in the last episode. Yeah, Dexter, I'm looking at you. Since I'm watching all of that on Netflix it doesn't matter, I just skip past both the intro and the explanation to save time.

I think it's time to blow the scene, get everybody's stuff together... OK 3 2 1 let's jam!

If there were no Tv Intros then there would be none of this:

Probably ninja'd by now but fuggit.

I think the intro to Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes is pretty good. I really love the song that plays.

Two friends and I actually had a whole conversation at 2am christmas morning about openings, we linked a lot to each other for song quality, opening quality, memorable shows etc.

I like openings because as people have said it sets the scene and lets you know what you're watching, also if you hear that opening you'll know what it is and it will bring memories of it back. Which gives you a sense of nostalgia and even makes you want to watch that show again.

aba1:

Also can show the setting of the show too, sometimes quite literally:

I understand the need for intros, but it sure would be nice if on DVD/Netflix releases, you had the option to skip them. Because no matter how iconic the intro of The Wonder Years is (that's the show that I'm currently watching on Netflix), it still gets pretty old after I've seen it for the 30th time in a week.

(try watching that on repeat, and see how quickly you get tired of it....same goes for any intro no matter how good it is)

a good tv intro is not bad (for example Game of Thrones show the setting in a map view, and it shows only the cities that are shown in that episode, so that means that intro changes almost every episode).
a bad one would be Starge Atlantins (i think it was) i mean how much can we look at the same carving with boring music in the background?

I agree, I think they should be shown in full for the first episode of the series, but then in short/minimally for the rest. I think Voyager and BoB's intros are phenomenal:

But even after watching 2 recorded episodes every weekday of Voyager, I'm eager to fast forward it. As glorious as they both are, they are mightily and excessively long, as good as they are at getting you into the mood of the show.

You'll have to take the Adventure Time opening from my cold, dead fingers.

lechat:
short intro snip

I think you'd like the intro to New Girl, then.

Original intro:

New intro, because apparently the old one was clearly too annoying:

It actually only airs the last half of the intro, starting at "Who's that girl?", if I recall correctly, though it's been a little bit since I've watched it.

OT: This is why anime intros are way better for me. They change them up frequently and always have fantastic music too, and are a perfect time to switch to another tab real fast if you want to search something. And if you don't like it, meh, whatever, you only have to deal with it for a few episodes.

Intros used to have good themes that would get you pumped. Buck Rogers and the 25th Century's theme still gets me pumped to this day (which Hollywood if you wanna remake something, it's been 30 years since Buck Rogers has filled a screen and its been a good while since we gotten ANY type of air/space fighter movies).

Binnsyboy:
Can't believe nobody's mentioned the Firefly intro.

Hear-hear! It's an excellent intro and I will never get tired of that great song!

The Red Dwarf intros are also darn good! Season 1 & 2 had that wonderfully enigmatic flyby with the dramatic music and from 3 onwards they rocked it up a bit and played it over a montage of teasers from the series.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked