Which fan-pairings do you hate, and why?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Harry/Hermione always irritated me, because it was so incredibly obvious that Ron and Hermione were going to end up together and there was never anything that showed otherwise.

The aforementioned Sherlock/Watson is a bit silly as well, though I have to admit that they make it far more prevalent in the new series than it was in previous iterations. Still, it's made perfectly clear that they are only friends.

As a few people have already said: All shipping, I find quite annoying.

I try to avoid fan-fiction, so I don't see that many, but I have seen a few Final Fantasy 13 fans shipping Hope and Lighting. First off, Hope is only 14, and Lighting is at least 21. Secondly, it's a complete misinterpretation of their relationship. Their relationship is closer to a surrogate parent/mentor and son/apprentice. It's in no way romantic.

Nazulu:

Guffe:
I was wondering for a long time if one of my favorite Xbox characters and one of my favorite Nintendo characters ever could be matched together...

I didn't even care until I saw this. Enough Matrix DBZ fighting to have my eyes roll out of my skull.

The most boring pairings are when they just have one thing in common with other. It's as simple as that, both Samus and Chief have special suits on and they fight aliens, must make the perfect match, right? I couldn't think of a more boring cliche' pair up if I tried.

Yeah, but I kindalike those two characters, never thought about pairing them thou until i saw this a few years back.
But it's pretty impressive if you think it's just one dude who's made it.

Let's see... any pairing that goes against a confirmed canonical sexual orientation of the original characters.

Anything involving underaged characters, or characters who are related to each other.

Any pairing between a character and a self-insert of the author is just silly. Then again, the self-insertion in itself is already a dumb idea that every fanfic writer should avoid at all costs.

And Rainbow Dash. I swear, everyone ships her with everyone. Come on people, there are six main characters! Branch out a bit!

Well, there's some of these things in the Sonic series.

Probably the biggest of these is "Knuckles and Rouge". They're enemies. They hate each other. They've hated each other since Rouge debuted in Sonic Adventure 2 and it hasn't lead up. Knuckles lives to guard the Master Emerald. Rouge wants to steal it for herself, even though it's what keeps Angel Island afloat in the sky. It makes no sense. It's like pairing an animal-lover with a poacher. It makes zero in the sense department.

There's also "Silver and Blaze". A Sonic Team executive already stated that Blaze's backstory was explained in Sonic Rush. Ignore Sonic '06. She had no reason to be in that game. Silver and Blaze have never met. Silver is from the future of Sonic's world and Blaze is from another dimension. They. Never. Met.

There's another one that came from that game, too. "Sonic and Elise". Yeah, that's in the actual game, so it's not a fan-pairing and it's treated much more as a joke. Except... the principle is still being used to this day. There are plenty of people (mostly girls... I hope) who like to pair Sonic up with THEMSELVES. Or Shadow. He's the second-most-likely to get sucked into this.

There's another fandom that gets some of the worst in this regard: The bronies.

There is an uncanny amount of fanfictions in which major characters (who are virtually always two females) just start having sex (sometimes in public) for no reason whatsoever! Seriously! Someone had once sent me a friend request somewhere whom I hadn't met, and I tend to verify what a person is like before I accept such things. So, I checked her profile, and she was praising the work she did on this fanfiction in which Applejack and Rarity start breaking into people's houses while they're still there and having sex for no reason.

Another that at least has members of opposing genders is "Doctor Whooves and Derpy Hooves". This falls under the "One of them is already married" category. In an episode of Doctor Who, we see that The Doctor is pretty much married to the TARDIS, who is shown to be an actual living being and even takes on a humanoid form for most of the episode. The Doctor is in love with her and clearly shows it. It's not even subtle. He doesn't go through an official human-style marriage ceremony, but the principles still apply. The episode is even called "The Doctor's Wife"! Pairing him with Derpy makes no sense!

I hear there's a problem with this in the Naruto fanbase. I barely know anything about the series, but I have seen that pairing Naruto up with... some black-haired guy. (Was his name "Saske" or was that the name of his white-haired mentor with the hypno eye? I told you I'm not a fan, so I don't have all this stuff memorized.) Apparently, that is "the most popular fan-pairing ever", and one of those that's gotten so big that people mention and reference it like it's fact.

There are some out there for satire that exist to make you laugh at this absurd concept, such as Blaze the Cat paired up with Doctor Eggman or Link paired up with a nameless redead. That I can appreciate. I love me some good satire.

Yeah, it doesn't really bother me. I refuse to be one of those people that goes on about how my faith in the human race dies a little because I don't approve of what some people do in their spare time.

erttheking:
Yeah, it doesn't really bother me. I refuse to be one of those people that goes on about how my faith in the human race dies a little because I don't approve of what some people do in their spare time.

^^^THIS^^^

Ryotknife:
I didnt know "shipping" was a thing, and now my faith in humanity has plummeted....again.

^^^NOT THIS^^^

OT:

Flamezdudes:
I'm a massive Evangelion as you can see. I hate the Kaworu and Shinji pairing with a passion, it just makes no sense at all. Shinji is not gay.

And no, it's not me being homophobic, I just don't think Shinji is at all homosexual.

I think its popular because Shinji has no spine, and Kaworu is very VERY into him. It wouldn't be out of love as much as "I get pushed around a lot".

OT: Axel x Roxas... oy.

Sora x Riku... thanks for that one VgCats.

Gene Starwind x Jim Hawking... NO NO NO NO NO NONONONONONONONO

So many people saying they don't like fan-pairings because it doesn't respect the source material...So it has to be canon for people to like it?

Okay, here's an example. Ranma1/2. Which is also my favorite anime/manga, so whether or not I want to, I have some preferences when it comes to shipping. In Ranma1/2, the official, canon couple, is between two characters named Ranma and Akane. Now Akane...is a love it or hate it character. The (vocal) majority either love Akane, or despise her. I happen to be within the latter group. Though I will admit she is not nearly as bad as we like to think she is, I still do not like her.

In Ranma1/2, everyone pretty much loves everyone else. With Ranma, the main character, having two, maybe three other people in love with him. I immensely like one of the others more than Akane. So I prefer this couple.

So just because it's not canon, it's wrong for me to have a preferred couple, even though I despise one of the characters in the "canon couple?"

Guffe:
I was wondering for a long time if one of my favorite Xbox characters and one of my favorite Nintendo characters ever could be matched together...

I got to be honest, I think the outcome would be more like this:

Samus is way too classy a girl for the likes of Master Chief.

OT: Sam and Frodo.

They are not gay.

In the LOTR books, they have one of the most committed, honest, loving relationships out of any of the characters, but it is also quite clearly portrayed as a hetero relationship, not a gay one. The reason Sam and Frodo care about each other as much as they do is because they're essentially brothers in arms. They're two ordinary guys stuck on a suicide mission to bring down the ultimate Dark Lord and try and save Middle Earth. They both think their chances are pretty slim. They both know that once they get into Mordor, they could get captured by orcs at any time. They both know that they're probably going to die long before they get to Mt Doom, and if not then, almost certainly after.

Their love is the sort of love that builds between people caught in a hellish situation together. It's the sort of love and companionship that I imagine Tolkien would have seen and experienced himself while fighting in WWI at the Somme. It's not gay love, as evidenced by the fact that Sam then goes on to have a perfectly fulfilling marriage with Rosie Cotton. And, y'know, Tolkien was Catholic...

Mind you, it doesn't help that Peter Jackson all but smeared vaseline on the camera for the Frodo/Sam scenes in the LOTR films, and had Careless Whisper playing in the background. It's like even he was whispering to himself "Go on Sam, go for the quick kiss" while filming those scenes.

Beffudled Sheep:

hazabaza1:
Nanako+P4 Protagonist
They're cousins for fuck's sake! Keep that creepy shit out of my weird... japanese...
alright, fair enough, but I'll still complain.

Cousin marriage is seen as normal and acceptable in many cultures worldwide and there is little increase in risk for genetic issues among first cousins. There is no reason to complain and there is nothing creepy about it.

Yes there is.
My reason is because I find it fucking creepy.

As I see it, cousins shouldn't fuck, end of. That's enough reason for me to complain.

Sonic and Princess Elise.

Wait, that actually did happen. Shit.

Matt and Sora from Digimon.

Dammit that happened too!

Really though, I don't mind shipping all that much. Just so long you don't try to be an ass about it and try to force others into thinking it's canon.

Rarity and Spike in MLP.

Spike is WAY to young for her (like 9 for God's sake) and is also a bloody DRAGON.

Yes he has a crush on her, but that doesn't make it OK to realize this crush in the various mediums the fandom depict.

I take most fan shipping with a good sense of humor, even if they are dumb as fuck (like Harry Potter X Draco Malfoy), but shipping in MLP:FiM is just bad and people should feel bad for doing it. Especially for shipping Applebloom and Spike even during first season, when they had no interaction what so ever. And everyone know Spike has a crush on Rarity. I do agree with Purple_Koja that shipping Spike and Rarity on the basis of his crush is also wrong.

Fun shipping is in Berserk though, since there is a buck load of evidence for any of it. Gutts x Griffith being a popular, albeit somewhat one-sided one. Now that I think about it, most Berserk shipping is one-sided. Griffith being gay for Gutts, Farensee (or how's that rich bitch called) having the hots for Gutts, our young witch having Daddy complex with Gutts (that's lots of Gutts, eh?), trolls enjoying teeny witches... Fun times :)

Superman with lois lane, bleh!(new 52 is wonder woman with superman, which is fucking awesome)

Zutara. Even the creators don't like it.

hazabaza1:

Beffudled Sheep:

hazabaza1:
Nanako+P4 Protagonist
They're cousins for fuck's sake! Keep that creepy shit out of my weird... japanese...
alright, fair enough, but I'll still complain.

Cousin marriage is seen as normal and acceptable in many cultures worldwide and there is little increase in risk for genetic issues among first cousins. There is no reason to complain and there is nothing creepy about it.

Yes there is.

As I see it, cousins shouldn't fuck, end of. That's enough reason for me to complain.

Why do you find it creepy?
Why shouldn't they fuck?
I am genuinely interested in your reasons.

solemnwar:
I only hate fan pairings when the fans insist that the ship is canon, when it is not.

No. Both those characters are firmly heterosexual and one of them is even implied to be a homophobe, they are not gay for each other, I don't care if you write it, stop insisting though that it's canon. It's not.

It's almost always male/male shippers, too, I never see the insistence that a non-canon pairing is canon in male/female or female/female fan pairings.

Never noticed people actually insisting it be canon, except maybe with Hetalia. Can I get examples?

OT: What fan-pairing do I hate?

FUCKING WINCEST! >:(

There's a special place in my heart for people that foul a bromance with this bullshit, but this one scrapes first place due to the actual blood relation as well as their awesome (non-sexual) chemistry.

Beffudled Sheep:

hazabaza1:

Beffudled Sheep:

Yes there is.

Why shouldn't they fuck?

I dunno, because I've been raised in a way that discourages fucking my family? Because I find the idea of having sex with someone who even has a relation by marriage to me creepy as shit?

If you want to reserve the right to fuck your cousins, by all means, go ahead, but I reserve my right to go "eeewwww".

hazabaza1:

Beffudled Sheep:

hazabaza1:

Yes there is.

Why shouldn't they fuck?

I dunno, because I've been raised in a way that discourages fucking my family? Because I find the idea of having sex with someone who even has a relation by marriage to me creepy as shit?

If you want to reserve the right to fuck your cousins, by all means, go ahead, but I reserve my right to go "eeewwww".

Fair enough. No amount of studies or anything can dissuade an ingrained childhood/cultural belief so I won't bother bringing those up. And I find it interesting that you said you were raised with that belief. You contrast with me perfectly in that regard. I wasn't raised with any kind of sexual or romantic lessons or ideals as a kid so I'm pretty much completely neutral when it comes to most sexual practices and fetishes.
Thank you for telling me and not ignoring me though :) I like learning people's reasons for things even if I don't agree with them :)

And you may reserve the right to go "eewww" but I reserve the right to go "There is nothing eeewww about it if you remove cultural bias" :p

I think sex in general is pretty eeeww anyway :D

Flamezdudes:
I'm a massive Evangelion as you can see. I hate the Kaworu and Shinji pairing with a passion, it just makes no sense at all. Shinji is not gay.

And no, it's not me being homophobic, I just don't think Shinji is at all homosexual.

If anything he's got an Oedipus complex.

saintdane05:
Zutara. Even the creators don't like it.

They didn't like it so much that they didn't make Katara's student have a romantic involvement with a fire bend-... oh man...

Purple_Kuja:
Rarity and Spike in MLP.

Spike is WAY to young for her (like 9 for God's sake) and is also a bloody DRAGON.

Yes he has a crush on her, but that doesn't make it OK to realize this crush in the various mediums the fandom depict.

dangoball:
And everyone know Spike has a crush on Rarity. I do agree with Purple_Koja that shipping Spike and Rarity on the basis of his crush is also wrong.

Aw... my avatar is disliked.

Shipping doesn't really grind my gears, I find it more humorous than rage-inducing. On that note:

Pictured above is a shipping chart for My Little Pony: Friendship is magic. A larger version can be found here.
Some points of interest:
There are several pairings of characters who have never had speaking lines.
Every main character has been paired with themselves at least once.
Multiple characters have been paired with pets.
Mutliple characters have been paired with inanimate objects.
Multiple inanimate objects have been paired with other inanimate objects.
Someone has been paired with Daring Doo. Daring Doo is a fictional character.
Someone has been paired with Twist. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just icky to think about.

Like I said, it doesn't make me mad. I just find it funny.

I hate it when they pair me with Dib. What in hell, ZADF?

Kaidan + Manshep. Made all the worse that Bioware actually went through with it. I actually like ManShep + Cortez, but there is something seriously off with Kaidan. But then he was pretty creepy with FemShep too.

Bilbo + Thorin.

Anyone with Anders in Dragon Age 2, even Hawke.

Martin Septim + anyone in Oblivion.

Eomega123:
Shipping doesn't really grind my gears, I find it more humorous than rage-inducing. On that note:

Pictured above is a shipping chart for My Little Pony: Friendship is magic. A larger version can be found here.
Some points of interest:
There are several pairings of characters who have never had speaking lines.
Every main character has been paired with themselves at least once.
Multiple characters have been paired with pets.
Mutliple characters have been paired with inanimate objects.
Multiple inanimate objects have been paired with other inanimate objects.
Someone has been paired with Daring Doo. Daring Doo is a fictional character.
Someone has been paired with Twist. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just icky to think about.

Like I said, it doesn't make me mad. I just find it funny.

I don't normally touch fan fiction, but I would love to read the one between the tree and the rock. That can't be anything other than hilarious.

Seeing as I follow several Mass Effect groups on deviantArt, I'm mostly familiar with shipping from that series, and by god do they get stupid. The ones I can remember from the top of my head are:

Shepard and Javik
Shepard and Wrex
Shepard and Grunt
Shepard and EDI
Shepard and Zaeed
Shepard and Legion (although the erotic fanfiction I heard for that was hilarious)
Shepard and Anderson
Shepard and Saren
Shepard and Mordin
Shepard and The Illusive Man
Shepard and Dr. Chakwas
Shepard and a Collector
Shepard and Hackett
Shepard and Shepard

For more than half of those, I've seen with both male and female Shepards.

Now, onto those that don't involve Shepard!:

Kasumi and Jodum Bau
Samantha and Steve
James and Steve
Diana and Samantha
Diana and Steve
Diana and Thane
Jack and Miranda
Miranda and Liara
Liara and Javik
Hackett and Anderson
Aria and Liara
EDI and Legion (I've seen a few where EDI gets impregnated by Legion)
Liara and Shepard's sister

This is starting to make my head hurt from all the stupid. For most of these pairings, there's clearly nothing between the characters romance wise. For several, the characters interactions with one another are very little to non existent. Hell, for a lot of them, they just ignore sexual/species preference.

Not to mention most often they're written/drawn very poorly.

what I don't get is all the Sonic Yuri parings?? I can understand the yaoi parings(at least the male characters get screen time unlike the female characters)

can someone from the hardcore sonic fanbase explaine that one to me?

UncleUlty:
I tend to be annoyed by Kanji/Naoto,or really any girl but Naoto is the most common.Mainly due to the fact that Kanji is gay. I don't mind it if you're just pairing for the sake of the hottness/crack factor(Trust me that's my main reason for Fuuka/every girl). However when it is serious shipping then no. Also Mitsuru/Yukari,it's not a bad pairing just a little too weak.Chie/Yukiko is done better.

As for non Persona parings,nothing really comes to mind except the Edgeworth/Phoenix pairing, for again lack of support.

NOw I sit and wait for the people who will flood me with "proof" of the above mentioned pairings.

So where was it established in the game that Kanji is gay? The game even goes against this idea several times, let's look at the evidence, he thought he might be gay because he was attracted to a girl who was dressed like a boy (who he was still attracted to after they found it they weren't a boy), he doesn't like girls personally because they make fun of the fact that he likes crafts (seen as a girl thing in the game), he peeps on girls in that hot spring scene, and he says "this isn't about being gay or not, it's about rejection" when confronting his shadow.

Battleaxx90:

For example: I'm a huge Kingdom Hearts fan, and I generally tend to scoff at any pairing that isn't Sora/Kairi or Roxas/Xion. I tend to puke internally whenever I see Sora paired with Riku; any homo moments between them in canon were a result of bad writing and NOTHING. ELSE. GOT IT!? I also hate it when I see Axel and Roxas as anything more than friends for similar reasons. One more thing: It is my honest opinion that Aqua, Ventus and Terra should never be paired with one another; they're all surrogate siblings, for crying out loud!

*Sigh* Yeah. Us Kingdom Hearts fans have it tough. Only, like, every third entry in the KHFanfic archive on Fanfiction.net ISN'T a slash. And those are usually either AUs, have OCs in them, or are a romance between an OC and a canon character.

I dislike Roxas/Axel because first: they're nobodies and can't feel emotions (Yes, I've played KH3D, however at the time this was still true), and second: Because no matter how young Axel actually looks, he's at least 10-13 years older than Roxas. I don't like ANY nobody slash, because the only probable reason for it would be if some of the members wanted to see if they could get ANY emotional response out of it. And I can only see five of the members of Organization 13 attempting this in character.

Moving on, I also dislike ANY romance involving Craig Boone from Fallout: New Vegas. There's just too much emotional trauma for me to think that he would become involved with anyone for a loooooooooonng while.
Also, Anders/Fenris.

Now, going back to Kingdom Hearts.

Battleaxx90:

I tend to puke internally whenever I see Sora paired with Riku; any homo moments between them in canon were a result of bad writing and NOTHING. ELSE. GOT IT!?

Um. I just want to let you know, that that sentence? It comes off as homophobic. You're using the phrase "Homo moments" in conjunction with "Bad writing". For all we know, Nomura could have INTENDED the two of them to act like that. Besides, if the fans want to take Sora's and Riku's interactions as indications that they're in a relationship, then fine. That's them. How does it affect you?

Sure, I've ranted about the pairings I hate, but that's because those pairings would need the precipitants to act out of character in order to be believable. Sora and Riku... I can see them getting together in character. So, it's a valid ship.

Other crazy valid ships: Arcade Gannon/ Good Karma Male!Courier. Cass/ Veronica. Cass/ Male!Courier. Isabella/ Merril (Dragon age 2). Lea/ Isa (Kingdom Hearts). And many many more.

Warachia:

UncleUlty:
I tend to be annoyed by Kanji/Naoto,or really any girl but Naoto is the most common.Mainly due to the fact that Kanji is gay. I don't mind it if you're just pairing for the sake of the hottness/crack factor(Trust me that's my main reason for Fuuka/every girl). However when it is serious shipping then no. Also Mitsuru/Yukari,it's not a bad pairing just a little too weak.Chie/Yukiko is done better.

As for non Persona parings,nothing really comes to mind except the Edgeworth/Phoenix pairing, for again lack of support.

NOw I sit and wait for the people who will flood me with "proof" of the above mentioned pairings.

So where was it established in the game that Kanji is gay? The game even goes against this idea several times, let's look at the evidence, he thought he might be gay because he was attracted to a girl who was dressed like a boy (who he was still attracted to after they found it they weren't a boy), he doesn't like girls personally because they make fun of the fact that he likes crafts (seen as a girl thing in the game), he peeps on girls in that hot spring scene, and he says "this isn't about being gay or not, it's about rejection" when confronting his shadow.

I'm pretty sure the last part was added in international versions,he was just along for the ride in the hotsprings scene where there was no intentional peeking just the girl's being awful at listening. Unless you're talking about the camping trip wher it just as could have easily been Yu or Yousuke he was looking at.Also where does it really show he's still attracted to Naoto after the reveal,I can't remember a point like that(that's not me being smarmy I really have terrible memory.Finally I do have a friend who is gay partially due to girl's being so awful to him. Not saying that it's some solid fact that Kanji is gay but just I've seen that sort of thing happen.

UncleUlty:

Warachia:

UncleUlty:

I'm pretty sure the last part was added in international versions,he was just along for the ride in the hotsprings scene where there was no intentional peeking just the girl's being awful at listening. Unless you're talking about the camping trip wher it just as could have easily been Yu or Yousuke he was looking at.Also where does it really show he's still attracted to Naoto after the reveal,I can't remember a point like that(that's not me being smarmy I really have terrible memory.Finally I do have a friend who is gay partially due to girl's being so awful to him. Not saying that it's some solid fact that Kanji is gay but just I've seen that sort of thing happen.

It shows he's still attracted to Naoto because of the several dozen times he blushes, turns away, and still has trouble talking to her when she shows up, not to mention, he wants to see her in different outfits during that beauty contest, they also added additional scenes in Persona 4 Golden, and are you going to claim the entire reason he snuck into the girls camp was not to prove he wasn't gay? Not to mention he gets nosebleeds (a Japanese thing to show somebody was having perverted thoughts about somebody else) several times, a few of which are only around women who aren't wearing much, and those are who those nosebleeds are clearly intended for at those times.

Z of the Na'vi:
Every "fan-pairing" is stupid and weird.

No thanks.

But you know which ones are the worst? The most-definitely-not-fanfic-author-avatar hooking up with...well, anyone who actually belongs into the story.

Simple answer: any fan shipping.

Long answer: If it isnt canon, its not meant to be, fucking stop it.

Abomination:
I hate every single fan-pairing and every single person who fan-pairs characters in media.

The former because they're always stupid and the latter because they're always (read: always) insufferable doucheburgers.

Congratulations on winning the thread.
I would reward you but since you crept into my brain and stole my response, I can't. It would send the wrong message.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked