Good live bands

Pages 1 2 NEXT

So today my dad gave me the official live CD for my favorite band, The Fratellis (obvs). I just finished watching it and needless to say it sounded absolutely incredible

But it got me thinking, lots of bands really fall flat when their recorded live and quite often the band will sound utterly terrible, not because of the recording quality, but because the band just generally don't play very well...

But sometimes it's the exact opposite and even some live recordings will completely blow your expectations out of the water with how in-tune all the members are with each other and how tight the performance is

So what this thread is about - I wanna listen to your favorite live recordings and hear about bands you been to see in the flesh, and what your opinions on the performances were like

I guess there isn't much more to say, except. Hope you had a good christmas! And I can't wait to listen to the responses ^_^

I'm gonna give special mention to The Ramones here. I never got to see them live (they broke up the year I was born), but their recordings are amazing.

That's about thirty songs in 60 minutes.

The best live band to come from Britain for a long time. It is of course, The Joy Formidable.

iron maiden is always good live (that ive seen anyway)

and there's always these guys

saw them live in a lil pub...was good fun

Less than Jake are awesome live.

Rise Against are fan-fucking-tastic live. One of the greatest shows I've ever seen. Just make sure you're outdoors though, people will throw stuff and people will crowd surf. Also, it shows you how good a band they are when it starts pouring rain and nobody cares.

Arcade Fire and Radiohead are both outstanding live, as were the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. To be honest, with a few exceptions, most people will think bands they like are good live.

I'd have to suggest The Protomen. I'd especially recommend stuff from their live Queen cover album, "A Night of Queen", and from the show they did for the release of the first vinyl release of their first album (Just look up The Protomen 07/09/11 on Youtube).

The foo fighters are a good live show.

as for a live cd/dvd Ireally like alice in chains unplugged. Never saw staley era live but will duvall era is supposed to be pretty good from what a friend recommended.

http://youtu.be/QhtTrgWvwNc

Most of their live stuff sounds better than studio recordings.

Blind Guardian are pretty awesome live. I saw them in Philadelphia back in 2010, it was a great show, especially when they got up to nightfall.

Rammstien are epic live
Rage against the machine are epic live
Tool are epic live
Massive attack are epic live

Sabaton are great live, so are Stratovarius, Kiss, Iron Maiden, Crashdiet, Hardcore Superstar, W.A.S.P.
These are the ones I've seen, I hope to add a lot more to that list in the few coming years.

Flogging molly is an awesome band live
reverend peyton's big damn band is awesome to see as well
eluvetie (if you like metal) is pretty awesome live as well
there's so many out there I loved

Dommin. Very much unknown, but beloved by everyone who knows about them. Their live shows are fantastic.

Saw Russian Circles live in August, absolutely mind-blowing. Not only can they replicate their album sound almost perfectly, but they add in new twists that are just fantastic. Their openers were amazing too, especially Marriages.

I closed my eyes and just stood there when RC closed their set with "Mladek" and just drifted off.

Queen, they always did excellent live shows, and they always bought that something extra to the tables that wasn't on the albums (like a full instrumental of we will rock you for EG)

Dream Theater puts on a great live show. Linkin Park as well. Shinedown, 311, Papa Roach, Three Days Grace all sounded great live, but may not have been the best show. I think Blue October has a great sound live as well, but both of their shows I went too were terrible visually.

Lots of bands? Really? I've been to a lot of gigs and a lot of festivals, and apart from the odd set ruined by technical problems, all of the bands that I expected would be good were good. If a band sounds good on recordings but are shite live, it's probably because they just generally are shite, but get rescued by good sound engineers in the studio...

Good bands I've seen live include Gojira, Lamb of God, Metallica, Muse, Soulfly/Cavalera Conspiracy, Opeth, Machine Head, Slayer, the Prodigy, Biffy Clyro... ermm. Rammstein and Maiden and Meshuggah and... fuck it, lets just say that any metal band of any reputation whatsoever are generally quite good live. Or perhaps I just saw them all on good days.

Metallica surprised me, I think they benefited from a setlist which mostly contained pre-black album songs. Machine Head also surprised me, I find that they sound really sterile on recordings but their live shows are great.
Bands I've seen who were poor live include er... Black Veil Brides (they were at download, I went to watch out of morbid curiosity) and... fuuuuck I can't remember. I'm pretty sure Bring Me The Horizon were bloody terrible live but I think I've blocked them from memory.

Linkin Park is pretty kickass live, saw them this year and they did this amazing medley of all their slower songs. The beautiful artwork shown on the huge screen behind the band combined with the immense energy from the crowd really creates this amazing atmosphere to absolutely live in while they play the night away.

In a good year I get out to a few shows. These are the ones that have most impressed me in the last five years or so:

Abney Park
Amanda Palmer--although her opening acts on this tour are...questionable.
Apocalyptica
Emilie Autumn. But I haven't really seen the show for her new album, so I have no idea if it's up to her usual calibre.
Gotye
Jonathan Coulton
Muse
Ozzy Osbourne
Rodrigo Y Gabriela
Rush
The Tea Party
Tool
Trans-Siberian Orchestra--but you'll probably have to wait until next Christmas
VNV Nation
Voltaire

Oh Lord, Iron Maiden. Their live show is incredible. Rather than simply seeing a band play, they actually put on a show and I absolutely adore that.

I think that's a thing I generally love. If a band actually goes above and beyond playing music and really put on a show, then I like them live. Stone Sour were the same; they actually put on a performance as well as just playing music.

Other than that, Cancer Bats were incredible live, but that's more to do with the fact that they played in a tiny club and everyone was all throwing themselves round together. It's a wonderful atmosphere, and one that the band happily contribute to.

Flogging Molly.

I've never in my entire life see a moshpit of ~100 people suddenly switch from knocking each others senseless to linedancing. And then back to running into each others again when the music switched back from irish folk to punk again.

I've seen Slipknot and Motorhead and they were awesome and they were great in getting the crowd going. I'm seeing Rush in London in the spring for a different kind of gig, but I understand they put on quite a performance.

For me, it would be my favorite live band.

My Chemical Romance.

The amount of energy the band has, and the amount of energy their fans have...it's amazing.

This is the show I saw them at, by the way.

EscapeGoat:
Oh Lord, Iron Maiden. Their live show is incredible. Rather than simply seeing a band play, they actually put on a show and I absolutely adore that.

I think that's a thing I generally love. If a band actually goes above and beyond playing music and really put on a show, then I like them live. Stone Sour were the same; they actually put on a performance as well as just playing music.

Other than that, Cancer Bats were incredible live, but that's more to do with the fact that they played in a tiny club and everyone was all throwing themselves round together. It's a wonderful atmosphere, and one that the band happily contribute to.

Annoyingly I've never seen Maiden (should change next year, roll on Download 2013), I'm not sure why not yet. But Stone Sour were amazing when I saw them, and so were Cancer Bats! I'd say exactly the same; it was a tiny, sweaty club and it was pretty mental.

Of all the bands I've seen, Slipknot, Skindred, The Prodigy and Gallows were the best bands I've seen. Slipknot was Sonisphere UK 2011, it was massive, and the whole Paul Gray thing made it pretty emotional. Skindred are always loads of fun, and The Prodigy are just a bit mental, and everyone there is off their faces. Gallows were crazy when I saw them, it was before Frank left and he was hanging from the ceiling and stuff.

I'm going to mention a band I haven't seen live and never will be able to experience their full awesome.

The Beastie Boys. I've seen so much footage of their live shows, Glasgow to Amsterdam, on Youtube and it really saddens me that I'll never be able to attend one of their performances. I thought their studio versions were great but I was blown away the first time I 'saw' them live. Keep on 'illin MCA.

TheFunPolice:
hear about bands you been to see in the flesh

TheFunPolice:
in the flesh

TheFunPolice:
in the flesh

In the flesh?

BWWAAAAAAA

"So ya', thought 'ya, might like to...
go to the show."

Badadadadaaa

"To feel, the warm thrill of confusion,
that space cadet glow,"

Oooooooo

"Tell me is something eluding something you sunshine,
is this not what you expected to see?

If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes,
you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!"

Roger Waters, The Wall Live, was amazing. It had props, stage effects, an actual wall plus the music itself! I feel incredibly privileged to experience one of Pink Floyd's greatest albums. Note: experience. It was just as visual orientated as it was audio.

TheRightToArmBears:

EscapeGoat:

Annoyingly I've never seen Maiden (should change next year, roll on Download 2013), I'm not sure why not yet. But Stone Sour were amazing when I saw them, and so were Cancer Bats! I'd say exactly the same; it was a tiny, sweaty club and it was pretty mental.

Of all the bands I've seen, Slipknot, Skindred, The Prodigy and Gallows were the best bands I've seen. Slipknot was Sonisphere UK 2011, it was massive, and the whole Paul Gray thing made it pretty emotional. Skindred are always loads of fun, and The Prodigy are just a bit mental, and everyone there is off their faces. Gallows were crazy when I saw them, it was before Frank left and he was hanging from the ceiling and stuff.

Quick question, but when you saw Stone Sour did they start their set by coming out to a metal'd-up version of Duel of the Fates from The Phantom Menace? They did for the show I saw (when they were dual-headlining with Avenged Sevenfold for the Nightmare tour) and that intro completely sold it for me.

Also, I'd love to see Gallows live, even now with Wade, especially if I got to see them in a club like Cancer Bats. Similar situation and otherwise ridiculously good live show was Pulled Apart by Horses, back when their first album was just out. The only thing that would stop it being on my best gigs of all time list was that I'm not sold on their music (I was brought along by a friend, although I did enjoy myself) and the sheer volume of injuries both me and my mate sustained that night. Their singer got a little bit too into the circle pits, and turned out to be a puncher.

From what I've heard, there's no such thing as a good live band.
Live versions of songs always sound 'off' in ways I can't quite put my finger on- and I hate the sound of the audience at the beginning and end of every damn song.

EDIT: In regards to actually being their at a concert- never have been, never will be. I cannot comprehend the idea of a live concert being enjoyable in any way. It baffles me every time my sister goes to one.

<-------- Oh, I wonder who I'll pick.

Yeah, the who were amazing live. I generally prefer the live versions of songs over the album versions. For instance:

EscapeGoat:

Quick question, but when you saw Stone Sour did they start their set by coming out to a metal'd-up version of Duel of the Fates from The Phantom Menace? They did for the show I saw (when they were dual-headlining with Avenged Sevenfold for the Nightmare tour) and that intro completely sold it for me.

Also, I'd love to see Gallows live, even now with Wade, especially if I got to see them in a club like Cancer Bats. Similar situation and otherwise ridiculously good live show was Pulled Apart by Horses, back when their first album was just out. The only thing that would stop it being on my best gigs of all time list was that I'm not sold on their music (I was brought along by a friend, although I did enjoy myself) and the sheer volume of injuries both me and my mate sustained that night. Their singer got a little bit too into the circle pits, and turned out to be a puncher.

Yeah they did! I saw them on that tour, in Birmingham.

Gallows were really good in a tiny sweaty room, but they were also really good at Sonisphere. They had the biggest circle pit I've ever seen!

mitchell271:
Rise Against are fan-fucking-tastic live. One of the greatest shows I've ever seen. Just make sure you're outdoors though, people will throw stuff and people will crowd surf. Also, it shows you how good a band they are when it starts pouring rain and nobody cares.

They are phenomenal! I have had the xhance to see them twice and they were awesome both times, got a high five fromTim after the first show, best day ever.

Now Rhousand Foot Krutch is another great live band, sadly I haven't had the chance to see them myself, but I got their live DVD and it actually sounds better than their studio stuff. Billy Talent were pretty hilarious and I laughed a lot when I saw them live, but they're not as good as the Rise Against or TFK.

Saxon. Specifically, lead singer Biff Byford.

This is how he sounded in 1979:

Skip to 24:00 to hear the best example of how he sounded in 2012, thirty-four years of sex, drugs, and heavy metal later:

The audio quality isn't the best, but I think it's pretty amazing how well he's held up. I mean, hell, not even Ozzy sounds that good.

TheRightToArmBears:

EscapeGoat:

Yeah they did! I saw them on that tour, in Birmingham.

Gallows were really good in a tiny sweaty room, but they were also really good at Sonisphere. They had the biggest circle pit I've ever seen!

No way - we saw them at the same time! Birmingham NIA, ooh, 2010-ish, Hellyeah opened in support and Mike Portnoy drumming for Avenged?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked