23.5% (76)
23.5% (76)
No and what the hell are you talking about
17.6% (57)
17.6% (57)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Wheel of Time...Have you read it?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Now that this Giant series that ate a large chunk of my life (As I have read all 13 books no less than 5 times) is finally coming to its conclusion I wonder how many of my fellow escapists have read/ heard of it, and what you think of it

I've heard of it before, but only because people keep saying how they should/shouldn't make the film adaptation.

Never read the series. Probably won't for a long time, too, if I ever do.

Read all of it. Love the series although it got a bit boring in around 7-10. Don't know if a movie could do it justice.

Marter:
I've heard of it before, but only because people keep saying how they should/shouldn't make the film adaptation.

Yeaaah i would be much happier with a TV show ala game of thrones then any attempt at a film series

I have the first book sitting in my kindle. I plan on reading it at some point, its just that the prologue was a bit confusing and it seems a bit dull. It's the same with every new fantasy universe, I know, but it put me off reading any further.

Fractral:
I have the first book sitting in my kindle. I plan on reading it at some point, its just that the prologue was a bit confusing and it seems a bit dull. It's the same with every new fantasy universe, I know, but it put me off reading any further.

Yeah the prologue taking place a few thousand years before the rest of the book and being the intense aftermath of a crazy action sequence probably would throw most people off a bit, and it starts slow(after the prologue) but it does pick up the pace

I read it up until New Spring. Was a huge fan, massively geeky and crazy about it. ... Kind of stopped caring after A New Spring, though. It just stopped being interesting. Life changed and I gave up on it.

I sold all my books a year ago (including a copy RJ signed when I went to see him at a reading) when I was unemployed and in need of money, so I don't think I'll ever finish the series.

I probably gave up because the characters turned too annoying, too. The only one who didn't really annoy me was Moraine(sp?). It's been years since I read any, so I only remember the basic personailities of everyone, but the writing of the women especially frustrated me.

I picked up the first 11 for about 15 quid earlier this year from a charity store, but I've not really got round to sitting down and reading them. I've heard quite a lot about them though, and most of it's good. All I've done so far is a quick read through the prologue of the first book. It wasn't quite as gripping as I'd hoped it would be, but there's some big ideas thrown around. I reckon once I get the time to sit down and read them I'll quite enjoy them.

Just started Book 8. Aside from finding book 6 to be a bit too slow, I've loved it so far.

IndomitableSam:
I read it up until New Spring. Was a huge fan, massively geeky and crazy about it. ... Kind of stopped caring after A New Spring, though. It just stopped being interesting. Life changed and I gave up on it.

I sold all my books a year ago (including a copy RJ signed when I went to see him at a reading) when I was unemployed and in need of money, so I don't think I'll ever finish the series.

I probably gave up because the characters turned too annoying, too. The only one who didn't really annoy me was Moraine(sp?). It's been years since I read any, so I only remember the basic personailities of everyone, but the writing of the women especially frustrated me.

Well it did have bit of a decline there Book 10 was fairly pointless but I might suggest giving it another try because 11-13 are amazing, characters (with one exception) get considerably less annoying and the plot starts going into overdrive especially in book 12

Shax:
Just started Book 8. Aside from finding book 6 to be a bit too slow, I've loved it so far.

I can tell by your avatar XP Mat always was my favorite of the main three

iwinatlife:

Shax:

Yeah, I've always liked Mat. Perrin is actually my favorite, but I enjoy the stories centered around Mat more, since Perrin has had relatively little time on-page (keeping in mind that I've only just started book 8). Although, I did love Perrin's story in Book 4.

Shax:

iwinatlife:

Shax:

Yeah, I've always liked Mat. Perrin is actually my favorite, but I enjoy the stories centered around Mat more, since Perrin has had relatively little time on-page (keeping in mind that I've only just started book 8). Although, I did love Perrin's story in Book 4.

Well you wont be disappointed Perrin gets a lot of time on page as you go forward and all three get amazing bits in 13 but Perrin gets the most of that book

Iv'e heard of it, and I finally looked it up. An epic fantasy series eh? I have been meaning to get some new reading material, and I love me some fantasy, maybe I will look for a copy of the 1st book. Honestly I am surprised this book series slipped through my radar.

Smolderin:
Iv'e heard of it, and I finally looked it up. An epic fantasy series eh? I have been meaning to get some new reading material, and I love me some fantasy, maybe I will look for a copy of the 1st book. Honestly I am surprised this book series slipped through my radar.

Fair warning it is indeed Epic in size 14 books none less than 700 pages hardback,but if you have the time it is quite the series

iwinatlife:

Smolderin:

Fair warning it is indeed Epic in size 14 books none less than 700 pages hardback,but if you have the time it is quite the series

If it's written well, then that might as well be a reader's dream come true. I am a heavy reader my friend, this is in no way bragging but I have read ever single book in R.A Salvatore's Legend of Drizzt series which if I remember correctly was around 20 books. For me, the bigger and meatier the book is, the better. 700 pages? I eat that for breakfast!

Ha ha, thanks for the warning though. Now I want to read them even more if that is indeed their size.

EDIT: Last book I read was more than a 1000 pages, it was a Warhammer book I believe, Legend of Sigmar by Graham McNeil. Part of the Warhammer universe, if your a fan definitely hit it up, it's a good read.

iwinatlife:

Shax:

iwinatlife:

Well you wont be disappointed Perrin gets a lot of time on page as you go forward and all three get amazing bits in 13 but Perrin gets the most of that book

Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to it :)

Also, I have a question about the prequel. When should I read it? The reason I've avoided it up until now was that I was worried that it would spoil any elaborate plans or plot reveals, seeing as it was published between books 10 and 11. Having just started book 8, am I safe from spoilers, or should I wait?

I've read it. It rates a solid 'meh'.

I'm in the process of reading it. Slowly. I've come close to stopping more then once because of all the sexism in it - both sides are guilty of it but it's really bad from the women. ESPECIALLY Nynaeve (seriously. fuck her and her opinions)

I've read all of them, I enjoyed them a lot. It used to be my favourite fantasy series but I don't know, A Song of Ice and Fire, Mistborn and the Farseer Trilogy compete pretty hard for it.

I do think Brandon Sanderson was a perfect fit for finishing it though.

Shax:

iwinatlife:

Shax:

Also, I have a question about the prequel. When should I read it? The reason I've avoided it up until now was that I was worried that it would spoil any elaborate plans or plot reveals, seeing as it was published between books 10 and 11. Having just started book 8, am I safe from spoilers, or should I wait?

You are pretty spoiler safe by book 6 for that one so you are good

iwinatlife:

Marter:

Yeaaah i would be much happier with a TV show ala game of thrones then any attempt at a film series

Agreed, there's too much going on for a movie, I have a feeling it would suffer the same problems as the Harry Potter movies and feel like the scenes were rushed and cut off. It could really work as a series.

To answer your question, yes, I have read them all. I am preparing for the 8th by reading The Way of Kings and Eye of the World to get both some Brandon Sanderson and some Robert Jordan. This will be the 7th time I read Eye of The World.

I really can't wait for it to be released, I've been looking forward to it for so long now. I think Brandon is doing a great job, but I have to admit I shed a tear when I watched a video on the completion of the series and how Jordan started it and the praise he got for his work. It's a shame he wasn't able to finish the books.

It's great to see another fan here. Also I pre-ordered the leather bound edition of A Memory of Light. It's the most I have ever paid for a book.

Eh, I started reading the first one, found it mildly interesting but in the end there was more interesting stuff that I wanted to be doing, so I haven't really touched it since I left it. Might get back to it one day, but not right now.

iwinatlife:

Shax:

iwinatlife:

You are pretty spoiler safe by book 6 for that one so you are good

Good to know, thanks. I'll have to pick it up when I get the chance.

Check the screen name, of course I've read it XD

Shax:

iwinatlife:

Shax:

I always found that Mat tended to act like the most sane of the three. He's fully aware that he's stuck with his taveren destiny and will leap headfirst into it when necessary, but most of the time is trying to not get himself murdered and stay inconspicuous. Rand basically leaps off a cliff being a try-hard, and Perrin spends most of the time trying to run away from his part of things.

(That and thus far Mat's taken out the strongest monster encountered despite having no real special powers to do, in awesome fashion)

I got through the first three books and decided it just wasn't for me. Though I suppose if I got desperate for something to read, I'd try picking it up again.

I read as far as book 7 before getting tired of it. This was way back in High School so I only remember bits and pieces of what I had read.

All of it. A few times, actually (except the last two, only read those twice so far).

Speaking of...

Seth Carter:
(That and thus far Mat's taken out the strongest monster encountered despite having no real special powers to do, in awesome fashion)

Bad. Ass.

I read it in a car along the way to a shitty motel. i got the trots so to speak and wasn't in the best state physical or mentally to really like the book. maybe ill try again another day

I read up to about book 10 I think. I was reading them as soon as they came out, but after Robert Jordan's health deteriorated and there was, understandably, a huge gap before the next book. By the time it came out, I realised that I had little memory of the story beyond the major events and that I would probably have to re-read the series before picking up the newest novel otherwise I would be pretty lost. Sitting down and reading all those massive books again is a fairly daunting task and one I've never had the time for. I told myself that once the series was finally finished, I'd get around the re-reading them all one after the other. We'll see if that'll happen any time soon.

I read up to either book 11 or 12 but after Jordan died I lost interest in the series especially since i believe had he lived the series would have been more than 13 books.

Though I always hated how henpecked the almost all the men were in that series.

currently reading it right now at least until the next game of thrones

just started book three and I am loving it.

Haven't found a copy of the first one in a library, but will probably seek one out at some point. For years fantasy was a dead genre to me, but just this year I rediscovered Escaflowne, and discovered The Witcher, Game of Thrones and Berserk, so my hope of fantasy being actually worthwhile has been renewed. A series that has been going on for as long as Wheel of Time has got to have something special about it.

i thought i'd give it a spin, but i never really got the grip to actually pick it up and read it.

perhaps the games might change that...

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked