Tattoos and what they say about you

Two and a half hours ago my tattoo was finished. I have to say I'm very happy but this but this thread isn't about this first for me.[1]

So besides posting your tattoos, I was wondering what they all mean to you and why you got them! Optionally you could add on why you regret them or still love them years later.

For me, putting Zapdos on my skin was a statement of self. On the most basic level it says that yes, I am a nerd and that I like Pokemon, in particular Zapdos, yadda yadda yadda. The deeper meaning of it from my perspective is that it will sit as a reminder of where I came from as a person. Who I was as a kid, staying up late playing games, what I obsessed about and what I dreamed about. I've always been a nostalgic kind of guy, even when I was still just a kid. I guess now I literally carry my past around with me.

The decision to mark yourself for the rest of your life isn't generally made without at least some thought. I took two years to solidly decide that yes, I would have a Zapdos on my shoulder forever. Money issues just prevented me from realizing before the calendar turned over.

So yeah, what do yours mean for you? Or, if you're considering a tattoo, what do you want your tattoo to represent?

Oh and yes, it does hurt.

Totally calling it: The Rainbow Dash guy will post below. Nothing wrong with that, I just predict him showing up. ;P

[1] Although I likely wouldn't have made it otherwise. <.<

>.>

Shaddup, I gave you a topic of discussion not about me, what do you want? D:

Nice tat man, looks good.

I personally don't have any tattoos yet, but I've had an idea on my mind for awhile now, and I'm seriously considering going for it.

I'm thinking about gettting Jack's tattoos from Bioshock on my wrists. I'm talking about this:

Bioshock is my favorite game of all time, and I just think it'd be a bitching tattoo in it's own right.

Yeah Red!
Nice stuff Are you coloring it or leaving it as it is? As it is now looks good enough though.

Wow Redlin, I've seen you mention that tattoo idea countless times, congratulations on finally getting it!

As for myself... I have no tattoos, may possibly get one in the future but at this point I've only got the vaguest of ideas so it won't be happening of a few years at-least.

You DO realize that now you're going to have to get Articuno and Moltres now to, or you'll just look like a total poser :P
Good design for a tattoo, nice sharp lines will age well. I never really got into pokemon THAT much, but if I did get a pokemon tattoo I'd have Blastoise water canons on my shoulder blades.

so seriously no regrets?i was a huge nintendo fan back in the day but i imagine if i got a mario tattoo i might regret it.... nah fuck that would be awesome!!!

i see a problem though. i'm sure you will run out of skin to tattoo cause you gotta catch em all!!

Nice tatoo man. I got a tribal tatoo with a spider, a heron, and a shark on it a little while ago. It seems to kinda...grow when I get better at shit.

Nah, I've never got a tatoo. I may do one day, I don't have anything against it...I just think that if I'm gonna mark myself permanently with something, it should mean something personally to me. Of course, I'd assume that pokemon meant enough to you to get a tatoo, which is fine. I just haven't found that thing worth marking permanently on my body.

Nice tat man, the outline are bold and solid, if you keep it hydrated for the next two weeks, it will ages like a champ.

As for me, I'm tattooed, here's mine:

As you can see, it's a tribal with an exotic touch to it. The tattoo doesn't have any significance whatsoever for the simple reason that when I got it, I was 18. I knew I was young, I knew that you can regret a tattoo easily. So I wanted something that was neutral, that doesn't have any meanings and I wanted it to be a bit manly. I also wanted it to age well.

Almost two year after it and I'm very happy with it. Having a neutral tattoo was the best decision for me I think, I'll tattoo something with a true meaning when I feel like it. Maybe when I'll have a child or something like that. So yes I definitively want another tattoo, just not right now. ;)

Well, I drew a heartagram on my wrist for about 11 months before I got it tattooed. Partly because for 9 of those months I wasn't 18 and also just to REALLY make sure I wanted it baldy enough. One morning I didn't have the time to re-draw it and felt odd the whole day, kinda like I missed it. I finally got it as well as a small green heart. It represents a year of hell I went through for a particular girl, and I emerged a better person. Some people assume the heartagram is a satanic symbol as I live in a town with a huge elderly population, but if I were going to be concerned about what others thought about me, I wouldn't have got it.

I've had a few friends who have questioned their decisions regarding tattoos, even if slightly or temporarily. I assume that in time they will loose the enthusiasm they have now for their tattoos as most of them got it because it looked good, or because it would compliment their current image. Unless it means something dearly to you, I wouldn't get one.

Dr.Susse:
Yeah Red!
Nice stuff Are you coloring it or leaving it as it is? As it is now looks good enough though.

I opted out of colouring. I've done my research and yellow is a risky thing for tattoos it seems. Some skins can take it well, others can't. I preferred it as an outline so there you go.

tricky-crazy:
Nice tat man, the outline are bold and solid, if you keep it hydrated for the next two weeks, it will ages like a champ.

Any recommendations on how to go about doing that?

Redlin5:

tricky-crazy:

Apply some vitamin E on it twice a day for about two weeks. Also, in about four of five days, there will be a layer of your tattoo that will dry out and peel itself. Do not scratch as it may damage your tattoo. Also, if you're going to sleep tonight, take a black shirt that will cover your tattoo as it will make stains everywhere.
Hope that helps ;)

tricky-crazy:

Redlin5:

tricky-crazy:

Apply some vitamin E on it twice a day for about two weeks. Also, in about four of five days, there will be a layer of your tattoo that will dry out and peel itself. Do not scratch as it may damage your tattoo. Also, if you're going to sleep tonight, take a black shirt that will cover your tattoo as it will make stains everywhere.
Hope that helps ;)

Very much appreciated! I love how your tattoo stands out two years later so I'll follow your advice to make sure my bird looks sharp!

I'm SHOCKED.
Too soon? Or too late?
Probably just a bad joke.
But if I keep hitting enter
I might be able to turn this faux pas into modern poetry
oh yes, I'm a genius

Since this is a thread about tattoos, can I interest anyone in a fascinating article about the nautical history of tattoos? Only thing I can contribute since I personally will never get a tattoo done for... reasons.

Here is my kick ass Mario & Luigi tat, these were taken just a few minutes after it was done. It needs a touch up now, but lucky for me, my artist gives me insane discounts. I grew up with SMB & I wanted a tribute to it & I think the art is a unique twist on the plumbers, I've had people tell me that they look very evil.

My first tattoo was a black & blue nautical star on my leg & I had always thought about getting a tattoo so I said what the hell one day & got it done. I figured I would go with something simple for my first, that way if I ended up not liking it in the long run I didn't end up stuck with some massive scene on my body somewhere.

Redlin5:
Oh and yes, it does hurt

Try getting it in your arms pit, now that hurts!

I knew from a very young age I would have a lot of tattoos cos I think plain things are boring. My fist tattoo covered from just past the elbow to my shoulder and was about 3 inches wide... Now it has been added on to, to make a full sleeve.

It's nothing meaningful, just tribal. I think people make up meanings sometimes so they can avoid disapproving looks when they "I got it just cos".

Paintings have no purpose other than to look pretty, I see tattoos the same way. If you want to have a meaningful tattoo, then do but don't look down on others if they just have a tattoo (not directed at anybody, just a general statment).

I like it. It's a touch bigger than I thought it was going to be, but it looks fine. Hopefully it'll heal up nicely and stay bold forever and stuff.

As for tattoos on me? I doubt it. I'm much to finicky when it comes to things that I like, meaning that I'd get tired of something permanently etched onto my body relatively fast. It's not that I dislike the concept, but I can't see myself not getting tired of something, and knowing that I spent money and time to put something on me that I know I won't like forever means it'll probably never happen.

I've wanted to get these two for a while now. Not yet 18, but soon... Very soon...

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked