Your opinion or thought on Love?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I recently had a discussion with a girl in school. She didn't believe in it and I argued why is everyone obsessed with it if it didn't exist. Moral of the story love exists even if you haven't experienced it.

Romantic love? I've never experienced it but I hope it does. If nothing else I do believe in the love and affection one has for family and friends; romantic love is only a hop and a skip from that.

Love is still a thing. It's down to brain chemistry, like all emotions. It's not necessarily forever, although some people will be in love until the both of them die. It's not necessarily requited. It can be utterly perverse, socially unacceptable and abhorrent to many around you. It's not necessarily sexual. It feels -excellent- and yet it can also make you feel awful. It can make one simultaneously incredibly selfless and selfish, which can put one in a fair few awkward situations. Not that I'd know anything about that. >_>
I've been in a stable relationship for three years now (three years tomorrow, in fact) and it's more or less just like an incredibly potent friendship. With sex. It's pretty neat.

One thing I find amusing is how high a standard people seem to hold love to. It's meant to be an immutable, eternal feeling that's perfect, love at first sight, they become your other half etc. etc. Whilst it does feel incredibly powerful (it's one of the most potent feelings I've personally experienced), it is simply not that simple. People change, so must their feelings, love at first sight is not a thing (lust at first sight is pretty cool though), and whilst they may certainly feel like your other half; you are no less whole without them. This post turned out a lot longer than I expected considering I was just going to say; "It's a thing."

A lot of people think love is a feeling. I don't agree. I'm reaching the age where I get to see my old high school friends on Facebook marry, have kids, divorce, then get into subsequent failed marriages. And a lot of these people were smart people, in-touch with their feelings, neither superficial nor desperate. They all thought they were in love.

Love is a verb. Love is a choice. Love is the conscious decision to put another person's needs above your own without thought for compensation. We cannot control who we are attracted to, but we can control who we love. And I find it odd that in western society we are so adamant that a person should never be compelled to love someone they aren't attracted to but we are so ready to suppose a long-term relationship can be built on attraction without the choice to actively love.

The people I know who have had stable, long-lasting relationships, they're all people it has seemed to me who have chosen to love each other. The people who don't... well, it often seems to me that one or both people in the relationship chose not to love, they're just riding out their attraction while still ultimately only concerned with their own desires.

The Unworthy Gentleman:
So very edgy and angst filled. I'd say enjoy high school but with that post looking the way it does I'm not sure you will. Seriously though, could you be much more cynical? It doesn't make you look as wise and experienced as you think it does.

"Lol you only trying to sound cool, you must be in highschool"

You sound like your about five yourself. The thread is what does love mean to you as in everyone, people will have a different opinion, different experience. Just because my experience isn't as happy as your doesn't make it incorrect it just makes it an experience. You might find this hard to believe but someday you will divorce that wife of yours. That girl you always kinda liked in high school, probably gonna grow up and become a domestic abuse victim. Good happens but good doesn't happen to everyone.

Toy Master Typhus:
"Lol you only trying to sound cool, you must be in highschool"

You sound like your about five yourself. The thread is what does love mean to you as in everyone, people will have a different opinion, different experience. Just because my experience isn't as happy as your doesn't make it incorrect it just makes it an experience. You might find this hard to believe but someday you will divorce that wife of yours. That girl you always kinda liked in high school, probably gonna grow up and become a domestic abuse victim. Good happens but good doesn't happen to everyone.

You make it sound as though I have some semblance of game, so much so that I'll have a relationship, oh the hilarity. You have to admit you did just sound like an angsty teenager though, I was throwing in a good ol' piss take to lighten the mood at your expense.

I would say that I believe in love, but it is more accurate to say that I have faith in love

Probably the best definition I've heard for love is that it is when another person's
happiness/well being are more important to you than your own.
I had no idea what love was before I was a parent--now it's what keeps me going every day.

I'm a romantic, so I like to believe in deep and honest love, but sadly I haven't seen too much of it.

Though I am friendly and loving to all, there has only ever been one person who I genuinely liked and loved.
To me, she was perfect. We were bestfriends and lovers for nearly a quarter of my life.
I think about her everyday.

I still go on dates these days. I've even told a few girls that I loved them. But nobody has enticed me the way she did. Their flaws are so glaringly obvious to me. The overwhelming sense of want and need is gone.

There is a drug I chase. One which produces the same bonding effect in the brain as love. Nearly impossible to find where I live. What I would give for that feeling again.

I am a hopeless romantic- I certainly believe in love, it's one of the few things that I let really get to me. The problem is that not everyone will do the same (I got dumped fairly recently). When you fall in love with someone you become vulnerable, I'm not sure how I would go about trusting someone enough to let myself fall in love again any time soon.

Has this been posted yet? I'm not sure.

On topic now, there are various different types of love, but I assume this thread is about romantic love.
I do believe in love. But I recognize that it is part of brain chemistry and biochemicals in our brains that create feelings which we recognize and call "love". I may have felt it before, i'm still searching for it again myself. I've only ever been in one relationship myself, which due to the subsequent problems that occurred and the break-up, I learnt a lot of things about myself, what I want personally in life and what I want in a partner.

While I do hold the belief that life is ultimately pointless, I am hoping that I can find love again... simply because I think it's worthwhile for myself personally to aim for it since I desire it and the things that are associated with and come with it.

shrekfan246:
Do I believe in love?

I'm not sure whether that answers your question or not, to be honest. But I hope it does.

That... gave me chills. Thank-you for that :)
I can take some haphazard guesses (two admittedly), but how does the story fit into your life?

Realitycrash:
I believe in love. Love is a biochemical state of mind which causes certain physical, social and mental responses that we generally associate with affection of different forms.
I believe in it because I can A: Apply the scientific-method to have it tested. I can cut people open and study their neurological patterns and biochemical interchange (well not me per se, but others with the technical know-how), B: Study the social interactions between humans that are in love, and C; I have experienced it myself.

Also this, I agree with this.
I hate it when people claim I have no idea of/belief in a lot of more conceptual things like love because of a lack of religion, so therefore I like this answer a lot ^.^

Brandon237:

shrekfan246:
Do I believe in love?

I'm not sure whether that answers your question or not, to be honest. But I hope it does.

I can take some haphazard guesses (two admittedly), but how does the story fit into your life?

It's an adapted (and abridged) story based around a girl that I met six and a half years ago, and our subsequent relationship together.

Love... is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometres away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope.

I believe and don't believe in love simultaneously. I know for a fact it's a real thing, science has proven it. I don't believe it's a good thing however, as I only ever see and experience pain from it.

Perhaps you should rephrase the OP to "Romantic love," it's pretty hard not to believe in love if you have family and friends. Though I also believe in romantic love. Kinda. Somedays. It's getting hard to actually, but the cynicism hasn't completely conquered my romantic heart yet.

Let me explain love to you with a song.

shrekfan246:
It's an adapted (and abridged) story based around a girl that I met six and a half years ago, and our subsequent relationship together.

Sounds not unlike my own (also massively abridged) story.

Love is just something that happens.
It's like a fart. If you have to force it, it's propably shit.

This is basically how I feel about it because its pretty much spot on.

I believe it's something made up to give people an excuse to do things, but that's probably just be being cynical.

Do I believe in Love? I believe he's vicious, at times, and lovely (sometimes.) And he is my little brother. So yes, I believe in Love. I love Love, as a matter of fact.

I believe it exists

I just don't think many people find it.

I don't believe in the concept of True Love, love at first sight, or any of this happily ever after stuff. If there was 'someone for everyone' a) why are so many people alone and b) ever noticed that people who claim to have 'found their soulmate' are almost always geographically close to and just happen to find one another? It's such a common thing, it just seems a little too convenient to me.

What I do believe in is evolution, and with evolution, comes instincts. I therefore believe in attraction. I believe that people place value on another person because of these feelings of attraction, and the fear of losing that person if the attraction fades is a very real emotion. The mutual sharing of oneself is a form of symbiosis; two people choosing to cohabit/copulate for the mutual benefit of mood and contentment the other provides. The word 'Love' is overused, and misused, but I believe that the aforementioned instincts can qualify as love, since love is a stong and powerful liking of something, and romantic love is very much a strong liking of the other person because of how they treat us, how they make us feel, and the things they let us do with/to them. Love is an instinctive attraction that we wish to nurture and maintain for instinctively selfish reasons.

I believe in love, but not the kind where it is portrayed as being deeply infatuated with the partner for all of eternity without burning out. It's just a desire/attraction(non-sexual) to other people i.e., you love your friends, your parents, your family and so on. When you fall romantically in love with someone, I find that it is really just infatuation, and when that fades, whatever kind of relationship you have built up with them to that point determines how things go from there. I think that diametrically opposed people can become infatuated with each other, be lovey-dovey for a year or so, and then when they are no longer infatuated, realize that they don't really like each other as much as they thought they did, and break up. I also think that two like-minded people (have similar interests or though processes/compliment each other well) can become infatuated with each other, and when they are no longer infatuated with each other, realize that things still work regardless of infatuation and from there they may decide to continue to be together since they still appreciate each other's company.

That's my opinion on the matter anyways.

I believe in it despite I have not experience it yet (love as in having a girlfriend) eventhought my mates think I'm btter off that way (needless to say they had experience the bad side of it).

shrekfan246:

Brandon237:

shrekfan246:

Do I believe in love?

Aah, well that was very well told and as said, it gave me chills, so well done :D Sounds like a very happy story indeed :)

I don't believe in love. I think it's one of those idealistic imaginary concepts like magic or zombies: we all know what it is, and we all spend hours and hours talking about it, but it's not something we can actually achieve. The popular conception of love is an unreachable utopia.

Love?

IT'S A WAAAAAAY OF FEEEELIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN'

But yeah, the above song pretty much sums it up. It can be great and all, but most of the time these days, it's a means of control.

Love 2D is an interesting engine. I admire it's existence, however LUA's most useful applications seem a little more broad.

N3squ1ck:
I believe in love, I experienced it, it was nice, but it is nasty when the love is not there anymore. Also it left me searching to find it again in this world. So far, no luck. But I know it is out there somewhere.

Not much more I can add.
EXACT
SAME
EXPERIENCE

Rose and Thorn:
Do you believe in love?

Whether or not you can describe it, I am curious to know what everyone who answers opinion or thought on love is. What is love to you? What ISN'T love to you?

Get technical, stay simple. Be detailed, or answer vaguely. Give me your honest feelings on this one word, and what it means to you.

Nope or to say at least I haven't experienced it, and untill than I'd say it's no different than eating large quantities of chocolate

tricky-crazy:
I believe in love as I was born because of it. My parents are still together after 26 years of marriage. :)

My parents have been married for that long to, but it ain't love keeping them together. I'm pretty sure it's spite or to see which one will die first at this point. In all seriousness they should of got divorced when I was a kid, they did more damage staying together than splitting up. Probably why I'm still single.

Well, I love my parents and most of my family. I love my closest friends. I love my Xbox and my PC. I would definitely die or take serious harm for all of them and always try to take care of them.

That's the only experience I have on the matter.

disgruntledgamer:
My parents have been married for that long to, but it ain't love keeping them together. I'm pretty sure it's spite or to see which one will die first at this point. In all seriousness they should of got divorced when I was a kid, they did more damage staying together than splitting up. Probably why I'm still single.

I know how that is. If my parents had gotten divorced a long time ago there would have been a lot less arguing and hate. I'm probably still single because somewhere in my mind all I've gotten from my parents is "relationships are bad".

I'm not sure I've ever experienced it myself and I can never be certain that anyone who's ever claimed to love me does in a way I would find meaningful.

Human condition and all that.

I would like to believe I'll fall in love some day, but I have severe doubts. In the words of Start Trouble's song "Chemical"...

Love is a chemical
Straight from your genitals
Never is spiritual
Never unconditional
Love is a chemical
Nature is radical
Never is spiritual
It's mathematical
and everything you've ever known today
Is all the world can give you
Don't believe in love or hate
It's only a chemical