Your opinion or thought on Love?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

I believe falling in love is a combination of curcimstance and hormones, but to actually love someone is a rational thing.

Da Orky Man:
Love... is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometres away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope.

Not many people could make such a shot, and fewer still would derive love from it. But for me love...is knowing your target, placing them in your targeting reticle and together achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds

Different things to different people. Emo as it sounds, it seems like little else than pain to me. Literal, physical pain, when I'm truly smitten with someone, I feel like my skeleton's trying to go a different direction from the one I'm going. I'm not sure what it feels like to have an alien chestburster inside you, but I would've thought it feels similiar. I've never understood why so many people seek out, even say they enjoy such anticipation. Having all your emotions suddenly place all their bets on this one person, and having little concious say in it, it's torture.

Maybe if it's requited then it stops hurting so much, but I've not known yet and probably not anytime soon.

I still occasionally get horribly, cripplingly nostalgic about the time I spent with my ex. Well, the first year anyway. Which is really conflicting 'cos I feel completely different about her as she is now. We might as well have become completely different people.

I've had girlfriends since and eh... there's another one who I think I could say I loved, but I was never attached to, which sounds really weird. We just had a great time together and then parted ways, with no problem at all. That's a better feeling.

So, for me, love is a fantastic thing, but if you're like me then it's better to keep some level of detachment. Pour too much of yourself into someone else, you'll find that if things do fall apart you'll be completely torn apart.

Do I believe in Love?
I'd seen family members and friends experience something with their partners, something I'd never experienced.
Then I met someone online, initially we became friends, but as time went on it changed and I found something I'd never experienced before.
It wasn't just that I could talk for a long time with her,it wasn't just the irrational happiness that would overwhelm me when I saw her, the way I could make her smile when she was down, the thinking of her during the day, the finding of something that I thought screamed out her name, the way I missed her, it wasn't what I learned from her,her determination to achieve her dreams, her loyalty,her charm,her intelligence,her talent, her bravery,her quirks and mannerisms,it wasn't the little things I'd do to try and see that wonderful smile.
It was that with her I could be completely honest with her, the way she made me feel, the way it time seemed to hold still while we were together, it was all this and more.
Does it hurt that she went back to her ex who hurt her so much? It does but..........she's happy. I'm glad she's happy, just not how she achieved it.
And as much as I hurt that's what matters most to me, her happiness.

Is that Love? If not it's the closest thing I've ever had to it.
So yes, I believe in Love, but sometimes wish I didn't.

disgruntledgamer:

Rose and Thorn:
Do you believe in love?

Whether or not you can describe it, I am curious to know what everyone who answers opinion or thought on love is. What is love to you? What ISN'T love to you?

Get technical, stay simple. Be detailed, or answer vaguely. Give me your honest feelings on this one word, and what it means to you.

Nope or to say at least I haven't experienced it, and untill than I'd say it's no different than eating large quantities of chocolate

In fact it is VERY different! Love never gave my pimples, eating a large quantity of chocolate did however. :P

i don't believe in the love at first sight crap, that's just hormones acting out. What develops after the initial attraction through time and strife could be called something akin to love. That's discounting love for offspring because that's hardwired into us. I'm not going to lie our society has dreamt up a rather saccharine idea of love. There is the possible idea that the term "love" was created by people to give voice to the harmone attraction. It frightens me to think of how bleak yet true that explanation is. Like some of the light and hope got sucked out of this world.

I also think love is actually passion in it's rawest form, either for activities or ideas.
Using that logic the passion form of love is not exactly dead as our society encourages individuals to find their place and pursue that passion in order to succeed in life. I can only speak of U.S. society through experience and not about the rest of the world though...

Love is a chemical induced addiction between people, and when you experience it, you better make the best of it.
It is pretty intense and the longest lasting drug I know of.

aXFireXHeartXa:

disgruntledgamer:
My parents have been married for that long to, but it ain't love keeping them together. I'm pretty sure it's spite or to see which one will die first at this point. In all seriousness they should of got divorced when I was a kid, they did more damage staying together than splitting up. Probably why I'm still single.

I know how that is. If my parents had gotten divorced a long time ago there would have been a lot less arguing and hate. I'm probably still single because somewhere in my mind all I've gotten from my parents is "relationships are bad".

Preaching to the quire buddy.

Rose and Thorn:

disgruntledgamer:

Rose and Thorn:
Do you believe in love?

Whether or not you can describe it, I am curious to know what everyone who answers opinion or thought on love is. What is love to you? What ISN'T love to you?

Get technical, stay simple. Be detailed, or answer vaguely. Give me your honest feelings on this one word, and what it means to you.

Nope or to say at least I haven't experienced it, and untill than I'd say it's no different than eating large quantities of chocolate

In fact it is VERY different! Love never gave me pimples, eating a large quantity of chocolate did however. :P

Well if you look at love as at least being partly hormonal it did.

disgruntledgamer:

Rose and Thorn:

disgruntledgamer:

In fact it is VERY different! Love never gave me pimples, eating a large quantity of chocolate did however. :P

Touche disgruntledgamer, touche. Until next we meet! *Retreats back into thine Rosebush*

Love, attraction, affection...such subtle differences between them I suppose. And since the Aratech sniper rifle quote has been used already, I'll say...

Hmmm. Love is seeing beauty in your companion even on a Monday morning when you're both cranky. Love is getting up in the middle of the night to help out when someone needs it, even if you went to bed furious at them. But love is not something that can keep a relationship up and alive all on its own.

manic_depressive13:

Vault101:
you dont need to take amphetamines out to dinner...

But you can't make amphetamines pay for dinner either.

If you take ampheatmines you won't want any dinner.

Love is real.

EDIT: Infatuation is also real.

NightmareExpress:
We feel it, and believe it to be something that it isn't.
Or rather, we use wishful thinking and imagination to mask it.

I sat down and really thought about it one day.
"Love" is our evaluation of how somebody can best benefit us. Can they make our day better? Do they have traits that I find desirable? Can they be useful in providing security? I suppose then, it's a given that how useful a person is can change with time and somebody more capable can walk along.

It's a scary thing, really.
Something that feels warm and deep, but is cold and shallow in actuality.
A current of electricity that sends chemical messengers to stimulate a primitive part of the mind.
I try not to think about what exactly it is often.

Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft.

That's the noise I make when my TOTAL MISINFORMATION detector goes off.
That shit's not love - love is an inexplicable motherfucker. You don't 'love' someone because they have traits you find desirable. In the case of love it's either there or it isn't. We can explain the cause of the feeling but we can't explain exactly what it is about that person that sets those feelings off.

My friend put it in amusing terms when discussing marrying a friend. "It's comfortable, it's secure and it's practical. It doesn't matter if there is no love, because love doesn't provide a future."

People with desirable traits become our friends. This offers security and financial well-being. I would say this is a pretty desirable setup. This marriage would likely be a comfortable one, if not a particularly close one.
But it ain't love. Love is something else entirely.

aXFireXHeartXa:

disgruntledgamer:
My parents have been married for that long to, but it ain't love keeping them together. I'm pretty sure it's spite or to see which one will die first at this point. In all seriousness they should of got divorced when I was a kid, they did more damage staying together than splitting up. Probably why I'm still single.

I know how that is. If my parents had gotten divorced a long time ago there would have been a lot less arguing and hate. I'm probably still single because somewhere in my mind all I've gotten from my parents is "relationships are bad".

People fall in love for one set of reasons and fall out of it for a different bunch of reasons. That's why there's that saying about how the opposite of love is indifference, not hate.

Of course I believe in love!

Love is the most dangerous emotion there is, but it is totally worth it. As they say, "It is better to have love and lost than to never love at all".

"Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is perennial as the grass." - Desiderata

Fappy:
As they say, "It is better to have love and lost than to never love at all".

Considering one can not experience both of those two things, they'd be a little hard to compare, though...when all is said and done, they're mutually exclusive. You can't know which one is better, because you'll only ever know one.

Vegosiux:

Fappy:
As they say, "It is better to have love and lost than to never love at all".

Considering one can not experience both of those two things, they'd be a little hard to compare, though...when all is said and done, they're mutually exclusive. You can't know which one is better, because you'll only ever know one.

Stop inserting logic into seasoned phrases! XD

Neil Gaiman:
Have you ever been in love?
Horrible isn't it?
It makes you so vulnerable.
It opens your chest and it opens up your heart and it means that someone can get inside you and mess you up.
You build up all these defenses, you build up a whole suit of armor, so that nothing can hurt you, then one stupid person, no different from any other stupid person, wanders into your stupid life...You give them a piece of you. They didn't ask for it. They did something dumb one day, like kiss you or smile at you, and then your life isn't your own anymore.
Love takes hostages.
It gets inside you.
It eats you out and leaves you crying in the darkness, so simple a phrase like 'maybe we should be just friends' turns into a glass splinter working its way into your heart.
It hurts. Not just in the imagination. Not just in the mind.
It's a soul-hurt, a real gets-inside-you-and-rips-you-apart pain.
I hate love.

This is probably the best description I ever found...

Rose and Thorn:

disgruntledgamer:

Rose and Thorn:

Touche disgruntledgamer, touche. Until next we meet! *Retreats back into thine Rosebush*

Doesn't that hurt? You know with all the thorns.

Eleuthera:

Neil Gaiman:
Have you ever been in love?
Horrible isn't it?
It makes you so vulnerable.
It opens your chest and it opens up your heart and it means that someone can get inside you and mess you up.
You build up all these defenses, you build up a whole suit of armor, so that nothing can hurt you, then one stupid person, no different from any other stupid person, wanders into your stupid life...You give them a piece of you. They didn't ask for it. They did something dumb one day, like kiss you or smile at you, and then your life isn't your own anymore.
Love takes hostages.
It gets inside you.
It eats you out and leaves you crying in the darkness, so simple a phrase like 'maybe we should be just friends' turns into a glass splinter working its way into your heart.
It hurts. Not just in the imagination. Not just in the mind.
It's a soul-hurt, a real gets-inside-you-and-rips-you-apart pain.
I hate love.

This is probably the best description I ever found...

It's also a good description for a horror movie involving a parasites. Seriously I can't the only one thinking of bug parasites after reading that.

Seriously no one has said "I BELIEVE IN A THING CALLED LOVE."

I'm torn. On one hand, stories about love can be very fun, on the other:

1. My dad's on his third marriage
2. My mother was the second
3. He still has problems now and then with his current wife

Yep. To not believe in love is to be a rather empty individual.

Although it is a hard thing to describe. Unique to everyone and all of that. It is awesome, though, and can make you do incredible (If somewhat stupid) things in its name. Oh, and it is destructive.

But totally and utterly worth it.

EDIT:

To the people currently blaming your fucked up parents/family life for being single. Seriously? Get over yourselves. I should have expected as much but come on guys and gals...

Everyone has a fucked up family life. Sure, some of them are more fucked up then others. Some people have alcoholic fathers that beat them up when they were young, something that the family glosses over cause in all probability he was raped as a kid by his step dad. Or mothers with manic depression, sisters with manic depression, brothers with manic depression. No money, no love within their family.

Yet plenty of those people go on to find love. Is it despite of their family lives? Perhaps. Or maybe it is because once you let go of all the bitter hatred you gather whilst growing up you can be happy.

Speaking as someone who comes from a pretty fucked up family and is currently undeniably in love, well... Yeah. I guess that's enough.

Doesn't matter who you are or what you have done, someone somewhere will make you happier than you can imagine. Someone will try and understand you and even when they fail they will still forgive you.

If I can find love fucking anyone can.

disgruntledgamer:

Rose and Thorn:

disgruntledgamer:

Doesn't that hurt? You know with all the thorns.

Mine body is already covered in them, thy pain pales in comparison to thine agony I feel when I set mine eyes on thy sick of our earth.

By the way, way to get suspended! hehe

I believe in love and I believe in infatuation, and I don't believe in the two being the same thing.

Infatuation is a feeling - that bubbly, cutesy sensation that makes you want to giggle and snuggle up in someone's lap and have their fingers play with your hair. (And sometimes it's that wrenching feeling in your gut that keeps you up at night thinking horrid, jealous thoughts.) Infatuation is an impermanent, come-and-go feeling; love is not.

To love is simply to want the best for somebody else even (some might say, especially) when it means doing something that is difficult or unpleasant for you. Love is to have one's own happiness dependent on another's. So if someone I love (whether it's my boyfriend, my cat, my dad, my grandma or my best friend) is unhappy, I am unhappy. If they are happy, at least some part of me is too.

As Massive Attack so eloquently put it:

Love, love is a verb
Love is a doing word

P.S. I believe one of the big reasons people can't seem to keep their marriages together anymore is because most of them didn't marry for anything but dramatic infatuation in the first place.

Love is a many splendored thing, love lifts us up where we belong, all you need is love!

(breaks into Moulin Rouge routine)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked