Windows Updater Eating All My Resources - WHY!?

I have a brand new computer, 3 days old. i5 3.5ghz 4 Cores Processor with 8GB of RAM and 1TB of hard-drive space. When I tun on my computer it tells me that it is 'configurating updates', so I have to wait a few minutes until it reaches 100% and finally boots.
Fair enough.
After that, though, for an hour or more, my brand new computer still acts slow. In fact, it lags so much that it tells me that 'Firefox Is Not Responding', because it can't handle those processes fast enough.
I check my Device Manager, and it only tells me that 100% of my 'Disk'-processes (whatever that is? Only 5% of CPU and Memory is being used) is taken up. Okey..I guess that is why the computer lags. Say, what is it that takes it up?
It doesn't say. Everything under 'Disk' is listed as 0mb/s, except for Windows Updater, which takes up 2MB/s. That's the ONLY thing that takes up disk-processes, yet it is enough to clog my computer to a halt.
So I wonder; Why the fuck does a background updater need so much resources? If it is really THAT demanding, for a NEW computer, why not run it slower (demanding less resources) but over a longer amount of time?
The same shit happens on my laptop, but my laptop has a shitty processor, a third of the GHz and AN EIGHT of the RAM (holy shit it even lags when I am typing). How can this cripple my computer so?

Realitycrash:
I have a brand new computer, 3 days old. i5 3.5ghz 4 Cores Processor with 8GB of RAM and 1TB of hard-drive space. When I tun on my computer it tells me that it is 'configurating updates', so I have to wait a few minutes until it reaches 100% and finally boots.
Fair enough.
After that, though, for an hour or more, my brand new computer still acts slow. In fact, it lags so much that it tells me that 'Firefox Is Not Responding', because it can't handle those processes fast enough.
I check my Device Manager, and it only tells me that 100% of my 'Disk'-processes (whatever that is? Only 5% of CPU and Memory is being used) is taken up. Okey..I guess that is why the computer lags. Say, what is it that takes it up?
It doesn't say. Everything under 'Disk' is listed as 0mb/s, except for Windows Updater, which takes up 2MB/s. That's the ONLY thing that takes up disk-processes, yet it is enough to clog my computer to a halt.
So I wonder; Why the fuck does a background updater need so much resources? If it is really THAT demanding, for a NEW computer, why not run it slower (demanding less resources) but over a longer amount of time?
The same shit happens on my laptop, but my laptop has a shitty processor, a third of the GHz and AN EIGHT of the RAM (holy shit it even lags when I am typing). How can this cripple my computer so?

OS version? It might just be a simple bug in Windows. This is normal for a new computer to update like crazy, especially if it's new.

thesilentman:

Realitycrash:
Fair enough.

OS version? It might just be a simple bug in Windows. This is normal for a new computer to update like crazy, especially if it's new.

Windows 8. Doesn't say which version. But my Windows 7 laptop has the same issues. I'm just pissed off that Windows can't design this to update over a longer time-frame.

Realitycrash:

thesilentman:

Realitycrash:
Fair enough.

Windows 8. Doesn't say which version. But my Windows 7 laptop has the same issues. I'm just pissed off that Windows can't design this to update over a longer time-frame.

I reread your original post, and it seems to be that your system is using up all your RAM for caching processes. This article will explain it better than I can.

http://www.howtogeek.com/128130/htg-explains-why-its-good-that-your-computers-ram-is-full/

But bringing your system to a halt? That is not normal. You built this machine or you bought one from an OEM? I smell bloatware. Tons of bloatware.

thesilentman:

Realitycrash:

thesilentman:

I reread your original post, and it seems to be that your system is using up all your RAM for caching processes. This article will explain it better than I can.

http://www.howtogeek.com/128130/htg-explains-why-its-good-that-your-computers-ram-is-full/

But bringing your system to a halt? That is not normal. You built this machine or you bought one from an OEM? I smell bloatware. Tons of bloatware.

Bought it OEM. I am starting to suspect that ASUS includes a whole lot of needless shit too, needless shit that needs to be updated whenever Windows is updated. But how am I to know what I can safely remove? And how do I even remove it?

Realitycrash:

thesilentman:

Realitycrash:

Bought it OEM. I am starting to suspect that ASUS includes a whole lot of needless shit too, needless shit that needs to be updated whenever Windows is updated. But how am I to know what I can safely remove? And how do I even remove it?

Here's a good article on how to Refresh and Reset a Windows 8 PC:

http://www.howtogeek.com/132428/everything-you-need-to-know-about-refreshing-and-resetting-your-windows-8-pc/

I'd say do a Refresh, as it saves all of your data and flushes every PC setting back to normal. It also uninstalls everything, which may get rid of the bloatware. Just make sure that you have the CD keys for any paid programs handy (ie Office).

EDIT- And if that doesn't do it, get ready to uninstall many programs by hand. I don't think that'll be a problem though.

thesilentman:

Realitycrash:

thesilentman:

http://www.howtogeek.com/132428/everything-you-need-to-know-about-refreshing-and-resetting-your-windows-8-pc/

I'd say do a Refresh, as it saves all of your data and flushes every PC setting back to normal. It also uninstalls everything, which may get rid of the bloatware. Just make sure that you have the CD keys for any paid programs handy (ie Office).

EDIT- And if that doesn't do it, get ready to uninstall many programs by hand. I don't think that'll be a problem though.

Hey, thanks. Say, what exactly is bloatware? I just heard the term today (I know adware, malware, spyware, etc, but bloatware?).

Realitycrash:

thesilentman:

Realitycrash:

Hey, thanks. Say, what exactly is bloatware? I just heard the term today (I know adware, malware, spyware, etc, but bloatware?).

Software bloat up the ass. I don't like buying OEM PCs anymore for this reason. This also annoys me as Windows is bloated to high heaven (takes up 20 gig on a hard drive and the registry is a nightmare), but I have to live with it as my family doesn't like Ubuntu, despite the fact that I use a nice desktop environment around them and stay out of the command line. >.<

Captcha- great scott

Yet another day in the life of thesilentman, captcha. People have many issues with computers it's not even funny.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked