How disturbed where you when you saw todays Jimquisition?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

When I first saw the footage showed, back when Jim was just doing these video's for Destructiod's Youtube account, I was shocked and horrified. Even now, when I see it, I'm still shocked about what happened. To help prove that video game's don't have "real" violence, just say how tell how you felt after watching that scene. Doesn't matter if or not you were disturbed, just be 100% honest.

Mind if I ask what it is?
I generally dislike gore and shit so I'd prefer not watching any Pain Olympics type shit.

hazabaza1:
Mind if I ask what it is?
I generally dislike gore and shit so I'd prefer not watching any Pain Olympics type shit.

It's real footage of a guy shooting himself in the head.

OT: It's pretty damn unpleasant to watch.

I guess I should put this in spoiler tags?

Personally, I felt more than a little uncomfortable. Like Jim said, anyone in their right minds should be able to tell the difference between videogame violence and the clip he showed.

Edit: Ninja'd. Oh the irony.

Games and movies that are overly gory give me the shivers (It was hard for me to even watch an LP of Gears. And MK9's fatalities? Have to look away until I hear the round is over), but I feel nothing when watching Dwyer shoot himself. Or the times that I've seen gore in real life.

I guess that's strange. Inversely sensitized to violence?

I was certainly disturbed by what I saw, I haven't seen the footage before and in a way I feel it was too far to show it (though I'd never complain, by 'too far' I mean that in retrospect I should of skipped it) but that was the point. I 'kill' on games all the time without so much as a second thought but clearly that has desensitised me to the real thing. Point proved Mr Jim.

I wasn't all that disturbed, but I was aware of the enormity and reality of the situation; and I don't reckon that's being desensitised to violence, I think that's not having all that many feelings towards death, and that's more of a personal thing.

I did wonder what on earth someone was doing filming that; I mean, I know that he drew the gun on himself with little warning (another thing that's scary about real situations), and that people do strange things in situations like that; but the fact that they kept filming (and zoomed in, of all things) is a little disquieting.

It didn't bother me at all, I have found out I only really care when terrible things happen to people I care about, so seeing some random guy shoot himself in the head didn't make me feel anything.

I've seen it before, and the first time I saw it (years back) It was quite shocking when I first saw it.

I've watched a ton of shock content over the years, seen quite a few grisly things myself when I was young, and come from a culture that views death in a much more positive light than many other parts of the world would. And even with all that, REAL violence still shocks me.

There's something about it that, no matter how much movies and games attempt to be realistically gory or just extremely gory, will always always fail to match. I can't quite put my finger on it. But when you are REALLY seeing death with your own eyes, it sinks in on a much deeper level than anything fictional can achieve.

Jim's examples were good. I also remember of when Penn & Teller covered videogame violence on their show Bullshit!

They got some young kid (under 12 years old I think) who LOVES playing hours and hours of Call of Duty on the show. His mom says she knows about the games he plays and their age ratings, and she believes it's okay for her child to play them. Great.

The kid plays HOURS of Call of Duty, HOURS of virtual shooting, so they asked him if he'd like to shoot a real gun. A real life assault rifle. Awesome right? A kid like him who loves to shoot things up all day should love that.

They brought him to a range. Gave him an ASSAULT RIFLE to try out, taught him how to use it, made sure all the proper safety procedures were being followed, and let him take a few shots.

He fired 1 bullet. And immediately stopped after.

Then after he handed the gun back. He went to his mother and broke down into tears. Yup, this kid who spends all day shooting people up online, was terrified into tears by the sight and sound of a REAL gun.

So whenever media assholes imply that movies and games 'desensitize' people to violence, I think they're insulting all of our intellect. Including the intellect of kids who can clearly tell the difference.

PieBrotherTB:

I did wonder what on earth someone was doing filming that; I mean, I know that he drew the gun on himself with little warning (another thing that's scary about real situations), and that people do strange things in situations like that; but the fact that they kept filming (and zoomed in, of all things) is a little disquieting.

The whole thing happened in a public conference, Budd was deep into his scandal, was facing jail time and was giving a speech which was being filmed at the time. Seemed like it was a news cameraman or something, People in those positions habitually document everything they see.

I think it's typical. There's whole paper-print magazines out there that specialize entirely in real life shock photos after all.

I'm far from desensitized, but I've seen worse on the 'net... Not that that's a good thing, mind you. It really isn't a good thing.

I dunno, how should I put this... I just see things for what they are, and this sort of thing happens all the time. Sad, yes. Disgusting, yes. But it's not something I'd make a big deal out of.

Disturbed? Not so much. Saddened? Yes.

as i said in that thread I wasn't really disturbed, although i thought there would be more blood in the scene.

There's a forum and a thread for discussing the latest Jumquisition. This is the *GAMING* forum.

I had seen the footage before. It does make things feel a bit...bleak.

I wouldn't say he went too far, the amount of flack he got for wanting to show it proved his own point.

I'm a little disturbed that I'm not more disturbed than I am. Though, I've seen some pretty nasty shit in real life, so you could say I may, in fact, be a little desensitized.

Still, I wouldn't actively look to watch it again, and it was unpleasant to watch.

The point was well made, and people who really didn't want to see it were given extreme warning. It was a damn good episode, what else can I say?

Uh... mildly? It certainly wasn't entertaining.

The blood gushing from the nose afterwards got an "ew" out of me.

I suppose the most disturbing aspect of it is not that he killed himself, but rather the suddenness of it. He's alive and and moving and breathing and talking ... "pop" and now he's a lump of meat on the floor.

On the other hand, the fact that it's a suicide softens the impact considerably. Someone deciding to kill themselves and going through with it is nowhere near as ugly as someone who does not want to die being killed by someone else.

Looked up the incident on Wikipedia. He had a prepared speech on him, although he didn't get to read it all. It ended with him telling his wife and two kids that he loved them and "goodbye on the count of 3." That was sad.

It honestly didn't disturb me at all. That was a person I had no emotional stake in, so his death doesn't bother me one bit.

I wasn't affected by it. I've had to mentally prepare myself to the fact that in a few years, I will be cutting up dead people for a living. I will have to see some truly horrifying stuff and I need to be ready for it.

Having said that, I still find violence morally abhorrent. It's not abhorrent on a visceral level, but on an intellectual level.

I wasn't overly disturbed when I saw it on the Jimquisition, but then I found the footage on Youtube in color and full length.

I got dizzy and nauseated.

Disturbed? Nah, I basically already know how the scene plays out by heart. So, it does not 'shock' me as it should anyone in their right mind that sees it for the first time.

I feel... uncomfortable, sad, angry and really, really sorry for Mr. Dwyer and his family.

The first couple of times I saw it, yes, I was genuinely disturbed, as it was just there, with hardly a hint of what was going on. People turned it into merry animated gifs that were playing on infinite loop at some local rat bastard's goth party events in all their gory pixel glory.

What I find important is that, with the Budd Dwyer footage, you can instantly show how unpleasant and unspectacular real-life violence actually is. I love to paint the walls red with bird blood in Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken. I have no issues with being violent in GTA or Saint's Row or COD:Whatever or Far Cry 3. But I find absolutely no pleasure in seeing people (or animals, for that matter) suffer and die.

I think being aware of actual violence and the fragility of life and the flesh is important. But I also accept the fact that a lot of people are unwilling to face it until they absolutely have to, which, methinks, is often too late. I think 'niche' sites like the late Ogrish served that purpose well, but there is always that factually non-existant line of exposing yourself to unpleasant things in a controlled manner and being amongst very scary people that don't quite seem to be right in the head. There's a lot of gory stuff you'll see when your career choice is to become a soldier. Or a butcher. Or a surgeon. Or an undertaker. Or a cop. Or... well, some other profession that will allow you to examine mankind and humanity through that professional looking glass. I myself find more than enough blood, guts and gore in hunting, but it's a means to an end, which involves helping to maintain a progressively marginalized and unbalanced ecosystem and putting fresh food on the table and learning and using skills that allowed our ancestors to survive long before we came up with the microwave, tv dinners, takeaway tandoori or the concepts of empires, religion or other exlusively human asshattery.

Regarding Budd Dwyer, I wholeheartedly recommend watching An Honest Man. Hey, speaking of which - if you happen to have an hour at your free disposal, why not watch the documentary right now? Chances are you've just seen the man bleed and I think it's important to at least try and understand what happened before Mr. Dwyer made that final decision. His death was real. Life's no game.

I can't get the picture of his lifeless face out of my head. I would say I was both disturbed and saddened.

To further prove Jim's point, I too was pretty shocked when I saw it. I might sound naive for saying this but I was expecting it to look like it does in the movies (think FMJ).

Boy was I wrong. Dunno if it's his facial expression or how the blood just keeps streaming out, but it got to me. And I didn't even expect it to.

Jynthor:
It didn't bother me at all, I have found out I only really care when terrible things happen to people I care about, so seeing some random guy shoot himself in the head didn't make me feel anything.

This, I also was kind of happy how he horrified the people around him. Like "take that!" THAT part disturbed me, how I was rooting for him and hoping there would be a huge spray of blood in some traumatized woman's face. But the actual thing was just meh. Although I am a bit disturbed about that .gif on 4chan where the guy gets decapped by a chainsaw. Also any animal abuse at all makes me feel awful.

For the longest time I thought that if I was ever put in a situation where I had to kill someone I could go through with it and probably just shake off any terrible feeling...but after watching the video I threw up a couple of times.

PieBrotherTB:
I wasn't all that disturbed, but I was aware of the enormity and reality of the situation; and I don't reckon that's being desensitised to violence, I think that's not having all that many feelings towards death, and that's more of a personal thing.

You'll notice that the man's last words were, if I heard correctly, "No, no, no, don't don't [come closer]. Look, it'll hurt someone. Just chill out, I-"

I think they figured that if they rushed him, he'd do it anyway, so maybe talking it out would be a possibility. As far as the cameramen, I imagine they saw the many other people that actually knew the man trying to talk him out of it, and figured that they would be useless in that situation compared to an actual friend or colleague.

--

OT: I feel as if this video hit me particularly hard today because of my current troubles (being screwed by, ironically, the court system myself just this very day). That said, this video has always been rather eye-opening to me. Between this and the suicide video of the Mexican man who killed himself while in custody, this sort of suicide is rather sickening, and extremely effective at showing just how fragile we are.

I've seen multiple death videos, usually as a sort of "train-wreck that you can't look away from once you see the start of it"-type thing. I've been close to puking several times, and I really don't see a single drop in disgust from my millions of video game kills.

Having also personally mercy-killed several animals, having my childhood dog die in my arms, and even saying goodbye to my best friend a mere hour before his heart finally gave out, I can attest that death is no trivial matter to me. I can joke about death all day long and enjoy the sickest of jokes, but at the end of the day, when it's time to get serious, I'm as cautious and caring as they come.

Here is the Mexican video, if anyone is interested. I will absolutely remove this upon request and will absolutely understand if a mod wants to delete this link. Warning: suicide, obviously. In the event of the link's deletion, it appears first in Google when searching for "Mexican suicide video."

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=8b177f60bb

There was definitely something in me saying "Oh Jesus..." but it wasn't anything I couldn't handle. I think the panic and indignity in the situation was the most unsettling part. And Jim's right, there's barely a *bang*. He just goes down.
I think you can be desensitised in different ways. I'm desensitised in that I didn't have any automatic physical reaction of discomfort, but I'm not desensitised to the point where I don't find it unpleasant when applying conscious thought to what I had watched. And I think that's the important point, being able to handle violence, even being able to brush off extreme gore, real or fictional, doesn't mean you are prepared for every possible context in which the violence could occur.
"Context" is the word of the day.

Personally? If I get a warning that "this may be disturbing!!!" I'm more than happy to shelve my curiosity and skip over it. I've seen dead people before in a drunk driving car accident (not mangled, but still dead), and I don't need to actually watch someone shoot themselves in the head on camera to get what Jim is saying.

Same reason as to while I know what they are I don't have images of 'goatse.cx' or 'two girls one cup' forever engraved in my head

I found it pretty disturbing. But, unlike Rednog, I could still easily kill another person if the situation required it. I could become a weapon, but by doing so I would destroy who I am. I could and would press on, but I would not be the same.

But if it must be done, it must be done.

Woa, that went someplace weird.

chadachada123:

Here is the Mexican video, if anyone is interested. I will absolutely remove this upon request and will absolutely understand if a mod wants to delete this link. Warning, suicide, obviously. In the event of the link's deletion, it appears first in Google when searching for "Mexican suicide video."

Aye, both can be filed under suicide by handgun.

But Ricardo Alfonso Cerna was stopped by police for a traffic violation. He then fled the scene and would eventually shoot a police officer - twice - before getting arrested.

Budd Dwyer was not that sort of person. They were both human beings. They both died violent deaths at their own hands.

I like to think there are things to be learned from the Budd Dwyer case that are well beyond 'be nice', 'obey the law' or 'don't shoot at cops'.

I skipped it. I didn't want to see a man kill himself. I skipped past the part in the video.

I've killed many sprites in my life, but that's all they are. Cartoon animations of fictional characters reacting to events in a game. Nothing really died by my hands. But I can't bear to see anyone die for real.

No I wasn't disturbed at all. Only graphic torture scenes and people in pain is all that can disturb me.

Headdrivehardscrew:

chadachada123:

Here is the Mexican video, if anyone is interested. I will absolutely remove this upon request and will absolutely understand if a mod wants to delete this link. Warning, suicide, obviously. In the event of the link's deletion, it appears first in Google when searching for "Mexican suicide video."

Aye, both can be filed under suicide by handgun.

But Ricardo Alfonso Cerna was stopped by police for a traffic violation. He then fled the scene and would eventually shoot a police officer - twice - before getting arrested.

Budd Dwyer was not that sort of person. They were both human beings. They both died violent deaths at their own hands.

I like to think there are things to be learned from the Budd Dwyer case that are well beyond 'be nice', 'obey the law' or 'don't shoot at cops'.

That's the thing: Budd Dwyer might HAVE obeyed the law, but was backed into a corner for something he didn't do.

Possibly.

I mean, there'd be little reason to continue denying it even to his dying paragraph if he was actually guilty. To think that an innocent man might have killed himself to protect his family is, in my opinion, incredibly honorable. His Wikipedia article is, for lack of better words, absolutely fascinating.

I understand your point, but when I say that their deaths were "eye-opening," I was referring to the quickness of it all, the fact that it is NOTHING like executions/suicides in video games. Not really about the morality part.

Edit: After finishing the article, I'm pretty much convinced that he was, in fact, innocent. From his final suicide note to the fact that the key witness to his conviction ADMITS that he lied under oath to get a lighter sentence, I'm thoroughly convinced he was an honest man dying a tragic death.

The article, for the lazy, and because I feel like posting links right now: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._Budd_Dwyer

Tohuvabohu:

The whole thing happened in a public conference, Budd was deep into his scandal, was facing jail time and was giving a speech which was being filmed at the time.

I couldn't watch it, not even the episode after Jim explained. I get what he was trying to say and I get the gist of what the episode was probably about but I was way to scared to chance skipping past and accidentally seeing it.

So what did this guy do that made him kill himself and please no one link any pictures or videos.

It was disturbing for me but not nearly as much as a video I saw about a year ago. I won't post the actual video because it's of a real person and it's very fucked up, I'll just describe what happens in it. It's fucked up so don't click on the box if you don't want to hear about it.

That video still disturbs me just thinking about it even after seeing it so long ago. I never watched it again but it's still very vivid. I play a lot of violent games that show head exploding and people getting chopped up in slow motion. They don't phase me but real life stuff is pretty traumatizing.

I was actually considering being a lifeguard for a part time job (I am actually certified) but when I heard stories from other lifeguards during my course about how you may have someone drown on you, I decided that I didn't want to do it. I couldn't stand the idea of watching someone die in front of me. It had never really hit home until I'd heard people talking about it.

As I said in the thread, I wasnt disturbed at all.

And quite frankly I find those who were disturbed quite alien, and I dont understand what the big deal is.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here