Favourite Book series?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Right, just a quick forum thread. What is your favourite book series?

Mine would be the Dragonriders of Pern series, a book series that began in 1967 written by Anne McCaffrey. I'm just going to say it immediately got points from me because it said dragonriders not dragonslayers which I dislike a lot.

Anyway, looking forward to the comments, just hoping it isn't all game of thrones.

I think the one series that has impacted me the msot in a "Holy crap this story is awesome and the writing is spectacular" was "The Count of Monte Christo"
Absolutely fantastic!

Darren shan (the vampire ones)

ofcourse Tolkiens books get on the list (The hobbit takes the prize as my favourite book)

Oh and if we are counting graphic novels The walking dead series is awesome!

The "Revelation Space" trilogy by Alastair Reynolds (and all the other books in the same universe). Pretty hard (okay, quite a bit of pseudo science) sci-fi with great characters, amazing technology and a great story. Reynolds is my favo writer.

Other mentions go to Tolkien's works, the Hyperion Cantos and yes, A Song of Ice and Fire.

Wheel of time by Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson , Dan Abnett's Inquisitor trilogy of trilogies, Night angel Trilogy and Lightbringer series by Brent weeks,aaaaand A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin

I really love Berserk. Yes I know it is a manga but the art and writing are incredibly good. The mythology is really well handled as well.

Guffe:
I think the one series that has impacted me the msot in a "Holy crap this story is awesome and the writing is spectacular" was "The Count of Monte Christo"
Absolutely fantastic!

Does a single novel count as a series?

OT:George R.R Martins "A song of Ice and Fire" or Raymond E.Feists "Riftwar" series.Hard to pick just one

The Realm of the Elderlings books by Robin Hobb, and Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson. Both are fantasy stories that eschew the traditional "rehash of Tolkein but with cosmetic changes" thing. Both have very strong characters (there's a character in Hobb's Liveship Trilogy that is both one of the characters I hate the most and one of the characters I love the most, because Hobb knows how to write a good character arc). And both did an excellent job of subverting my expectations . And Sanderson has completely mastered the art of the Checkov's Gun (the third Mistborn book is really more of a Checkov's Armory, firing off guns that were set up ON THE FIRST PAGE OF THE TRILOGY).

ASOIAF, The Edge Chronicles, The Kingkiller series, Artemis Fowl, Harry Potter, the Millenium Trilogy...Icould go on for aaages XD

Harry Potter by JK Rowling
Lord of the Rings by J.R.R Tolkien (yes, that includes the Hobbit and the Samallammarian)
A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R Martin (apparently, the R.R acronym is a thing now?)

Oooh what else.. Discworld by Terry Pratchett. I mean, you know 39 books and all, gotta count right? D:

MetalDooley:

Guffe:
Absolutely fantastic!

Does a single novel count as a series?

OT:George R.R Martins "A song of Ice and Fire" or Raymond E.Feists "Riftwar" series.Hard to pick just one

I had it as six different books divided in 295-305 words each.
I guess the same can be said for Hitch hikers guide to the Galaxy, I've red it as one book but my friend had it as a 5 book series.

But if we're talking same author, same world, different story...
I liked the Harry Potter books...
And there's a crime series author I can't remember the nam of with the same main char in about 5 books, different crimes
Am I heading in the right direction?

The first one that came to mind was the Discworld series. Loved to read those, tho i don`t think I´ve read one for a year or two. But i do remember how fun and interesting they were, and i really loved those.
Of course, The Harry Potter books are a close second. And A Song of Ice and Fire, as well. All great, enjoyable stuff in my opinion.

mParadox:
Harry Potter by JK Rowling
Lord of the Rings by J.R.R Tolkien (yes, that includes the Hobbit and the Samallammarian)
A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R Martin (apparently, the R.R acronym is a thing now?)

Oooh what else.. Discworld by Terry Pratchett. I mean, you know 39 books and all, gotta count right? D:

Oh, that reminds me, I really need to get around to reading some of the Discworld books I've got stashed away :)

Destiny's Children by Stephen Baxter. It follows humanity all the way from Roman ages to the end of the universe, and it's just amazing how well the massive scope works. The science is slightly rubbish but not totally implausible, and it's something that you forget about whilst reading.

I don't have a single favourite. In no particular order:

A Song of Ice and Fire - George R.R Martin
Harry Potter - JK Rowling
Discworld - Terry Pratchett
The Black Magician Trilogy - Trudi Canavan
The Night Watch series - Sergei Lukyanenko
The GAP series - Stephen Donaldson

I read a hell of a lot, but these are the series I like the most. I often tend to read standalone books though.

Arsene Lupin - Maurice Leblanc
I've almost read all of them, very good books

Foundation - Isaac Asimov
I like the extended cycle which count 14 or so book

Guffe:
Absolutely fantastic!

Well, it's not really a series. Though the edition I read was collected in six volumes. A long book, but hey, it filled its pages with some förbaskat good writing.

cathou:
Arsene Lupin - Maurice Leblanc
I've almost read all of them, very good books

I tip my hat to you. My hobby is looking for them in every used book shop I happen to find. Here in Göteborg there's a district with lots of stores like that, so I've found a few in really good condition.

The Old Kingdom series by Garth Nix.

I just thought that there was a great amount of characterization, a unique story and an interesting setting with things that just make you want to continue reading.

The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. Hands down my favorite series I've ever read. Also enjoyed his Codex Alera series as well.

The Cobra series by Timothy Zahn is another favorite of mine.

I usually stick with the Redwall series. It's the only series where I own, and have read, more than ten of the books.

aba1:
I really love Berserk. Yes I know it is a manga but the art and writing are incredibly good. The mythology is really well handled as well.

Ditto. can't say that it's exactly what the OP was looking for though.

OT: Err, Don't really read too many series. I guess Catch-22/closing time counts.

My favorites in no particular order,

-A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R Martin
-Belgariad & Mallorean by David Eddings
-Gaunts Ghosts by Dan Abnett
-Lord of the Rings by J.R.R Tolkien
-The Dune novels by Frank Herbert
-Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein

The Horus Heresy, hands down. 24 books (plus ancillary short stories, novellas and audio dramas) in and counting, and most of them are fucking great. :D

A Smooth Criminal:
The Old Kingdom series by Garth Nix.

I just thought that there was a great amount of characterization, a unique story and an interesting setting with things that just make you want to continue reading.

I concur! An absolutely fantastic series.

The Witcher is really astonishingly written, has solid story.
Also, worth mentioning is Juraj Červenák, he writes Slavic fantasy, and he's got two awesome series:
Adventures of Captain Bathory (not translated though)
The Warlock (some short stories were translated in english I believe)

I really liked The First Law by Joe Abercrombie, and I'm currently reading the Nightside series by Simon R. Green, which is also pretty good (so far).

Right now i guess Gaunts Ghosts, but right now I'm going to say the Warhammer 40K Battle novels, like the battle of the fang, or Hunt for Voldurious, or even the Helsreach book. All of them good, and in the middle of the book they hve like 4 pagesa bout dedicated to a few maps or unit loadout or that stuff. Its interesting and so far my est of them all is Helsreach where the main character which is a Chaplin encourages the defenders on the first day of defense against orks on world Armaggadon.

The Great Book of Amber by Roger Zelazny

Read it. GO NOW! :D

MetalDooley:
Raymond E.Feists "Riftwar" series.

Oooo... if that's the original trilogy (starting with Magician) then I'm with you, though I'll extend it to every book prior to the Conclave of Shadows arc. After that, it started getting a bit iffy to me, still enjoyable reads, but not as epic as the earlier lot (including the Erik von Darkmoor quartet...).

Guffe:
I had it as six different books divided in 295-305 pages each.

Fix'd... and I didn't realise it had been serialised in some releases until today... -_- I liked it best in its humongous single epic tome glory form!

Legion:

Yah, liked that... good take on the concept of magic. Got a bit soppy towards the end, but I was still thoroughly engrossed. BTW, meant to ask, what's your avatar from??

Other than that...

the Tawny Man - Robin Hobb
Aria - Amano Kozue (even though it's manga, some people are counting it, so am I)
the Macht - Paul Kearney
the Rigante, Troy & Greece & Macedon (OK, so this one's just two) - David Gemmell
Gaunt's Ghosts & Eisenhorn - Dan Abnett

Sure there're a few more I think highly of, but that'll do for now.

Harry potter of course.
The last dragon chronicles by Chris D'lacy and A song of ice and fire by George R.R. Martin =)

SckizoBoy:

Legion:

Yah, liked that... good take on the concept of magic. Got a bit soppy towards the end, but I was still thoroughly engrossed. BTW, meant to ask, what's your avatar from??

I know what you mean. The other books set in the same world are even more so which is why I didn't mention them. It's like no character can possibly fail to fall in love at some point during her stories. I don't mind romance at all, but it's almost like a formula with Trudi Canavan.

My avatar is Rune Balot from the anime Mardock Scramble. It is a short film trilogy based upon a manga, although only the first one is out where I am though. Fairly violent and fairly sexual (in a non-fan service way, it's more to show the horrific things people do to one another).

Hmm... Tough question.

I've been immersed in the Discworld series for a long time, so it's definitely near the top of my list. Whether it's number one, I can't say for sure.

I'm also a huge fan of Stephen King's The Dark Tower series, which I've read through to completion (seven books) about four times. I actually just recently discovered the graphic novels of the series, and have been tracking down those, but, honestly, I really don't like paying around $30 for books, so I've only got a couple.

Those two would be at the top of my list. And, of course, it would be wrong of me not to mention my love for all things Tolkien, and how I enjoyed A Song of Ice and Fire. I suppose I should also give honourable mention to Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman's The Death Gate Cycle series, though I've only read three or four of those, and not for a long time. But they were a big influence on my love of fantasy when I was younger, along with Tolkien, so they deserve praise.

Other than that, I suppose that, given my age, I have to mention the Harry Potter novels, which, while rather poorly written (in my opinion, anyway), told an excellent story, save for a few stumbles here and there.

So, yeah:

Discworld
The Dark Tower
The Lord of the Rings (and really anything Middle-earth related)
A Song of Ice and Fire
The Death Gate Cycle
Harry Potter

The series of Drizzt Do'Urden Books by R.A Salvatore. Love his style and Drizzt is awesome. Couldn't finish the 5th book though.

iwinatlife:
Wheel of time by Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson , Dan Abnett's Inquisitor trilogy of trilogies, Night angel Trilogy and Lightbringer series by Brent weeks,aaaaand A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin

The last Wheel of Time book came out today.

I'm happy, yet sad.

[Gavo]:

iwinatlife:

The last Wheel of Time book came out today.

I'm happy, yet sad.

I know the feeling and my copy just shipped from Barnes and Noble i expect it in a few days

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked