time to lighten the mood. man builds colourful milk carton igloo

New Zealand man builds colourful milk carton igloo in Edmonton

EDMONTON - Encouraged by his girlfriend's mother, a New Zealand man spent his Christmas building a colourful igloo in Edmonton.

Home for the holidays from her studies at the University of Canterbury in New Zealand, Kathleen Starrie brought her Kiwi boyfriend Dan Gray to stay with her family.

Starrie's mother decided to put Dan's civil engineering studies to a test while teasing him that if he wanted her daughter's hand in marriage, he needed to construct a real igloo out of ice blocks. The result was astounding.

"It's beautiful, what the kids came up with," said Brigid Burton, Starrie's mother.

"He wasn't going to be here very long and it was actually an idea I had many years ago," said Brigid. "Dan kind of ran with it and did it and him and Kat worked wonderfully together. It's kind of gone viral and it's fun."

Brigid spent months collecting milk cartons from friends and co-workers to freeze the ice blocks and colour them with different dyes.

Working with a mixture of snow and hot water the happy couple dubbed "Snowcrete", the family spent the better part of five days building and tilting the over 500 ice blocks into an igloo Brigid says resembles the colours of the northern lights.

Now, Brigid says her grandchildren look forward to coming over and playing inside the igloo. While she expects the ice to melt away in May, she's happy to have a colourful reminder of Kathleen and Dan's Christmas visit right outside of her window.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/01/08/new-zealand-man-builds-colourful-milk-carton-igloo-in-edmonton

for discussion value:

how would you react if a parent of your partner would task you to do something like this?
or what would you do out of love?

First of all, I WANT ONE.
Seriously, that right there is pretty cool (geddit?). Kinda reminds me of stained glass.

And for your discussion value question, assuming I had the capabilities I'd totally do this if a parent-in-law asked. Creating things with nothing but your own skills and determination can lead to pretty satisfying results.

And I'd go as far as to turn down a Klondike Bar for love... maybe.

Wow that is pretty danm awesome, I'm surpise how no one had come up with this conception sooner (or maybe they did and I haven't seen it yet).

As for your question, it will be quite daunting for me seeing how I lack certain talents. Regardless I guess I will have to try to give a better impression of my partner parents that I ain't lazy or a slacker.

SanAndreasSmoke:
Seriously, that right there is pretty cool (geddit?). Kinda reminds me of stained glass.

And for your discussion value question, assuming I had the capabilities I'd totally do this if a parent-in-law asked. Creating things with nothing but your own skills and determination can lead to pretty satisfying results.

a klondike bar? you could make a small igloo out of it.
close enough...

and share it with your loved one...

rhizhim:

SanAndreasSmoke:

close enough...

The only problem is how I'll resist eating my creation.

SanAndreasSmoke:

rhizhim:

SanAndreasSmoke:

close enough...

The only problem is how I'll resist eating my creation.

fame and perhaps a hazelnut brittle coating when you finish it.

rhizhim:
Snip

I'm sold. Now all that's left to do is amass a garage-full of Klondike Bars..

It shall be done.

That's awesome :D and pretty sweet if he did that all just to get laid/married.
However, James May's lego house is still better IMO.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked