Most disturbing thing you've ever seen in real life?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

For me, it was a street fight. I think it was the fact that it was so...feral and brutal. Two men, one got a good hit on his head that knocked him against the wall. He slumped to the floor. We'd called an ambulance. There was a small stream of blood sort of ebbing down the Cobblestone path.

Probably during a UN peacekeeping tour in Cambodia.

Some of the local forces were forcing some of the local children into prostitution.

You had roughly 20 British troops from the Para's, Royal Marines and Coldstream Guards and a gang of locals trying to pimp off a group of kids to us ...... it didn't end well for the locals.

Disturbed me how casual they approached us and brought it up.

Funnily enough, none of the British troops were brought up on charges for the ensuing violence.

Watched a snake eat a frog once, from the back legs up. Which means the frog didn't stop struggling until the pressure made his lungs go *POP*. It was disturbing, but also kind of eye-opening. I had started out feeling bad for the frog and wishing I could save it, but then I realized saving the frog meant making the snake starve. That's when I really grasped that nature isn't nice.

Walking out into the hallway from my dorm room to find the hallway covered with dark liquid flecks and smears. It was dark, so I couldn't really make out what they were, but they were all over the entire length of the hallway floor. I assumed it was just mud. I went and turned on the lights to discover that it was blood.

Apparently there had been a huge fight earlier that I hadn't heard due to headphones, and blood had gotten sprayed and smeared everywhere.

I saw an old lady get hit by a car. Seeing someone so frail get thrown about like that really fkd me up and reminded me how fragile life can be. No idea if she was ok but my guess is not.

At one point when I lived in Japan, I lived in a 4-story apartment building. I was about to head out when I'd heard a strange noise that sounded like a cat moaning/screaming as they do. Damn cats. Anyway, head out from my 1F apartment and trot down the stairs to the driveway in front and -freeze-.

The noise was actually a 30-something woman who lived in my apartment building and for one reason or another had decided that she needed to take the 'honourable' way out. Unfortunately, jumping from the 4th floor is more often a really good way to royally fuck yourself up rather than kill yourself. As she, and I, had discovered.

I don't want to see marrow on the outside again.

Rawne1980:

Some of the local forces were forcing some of the local children into prostitution.

You had roughly 20 British troops from the Para's, Royal Marines and Coldstream Guards and a gang of locals trying to pimp off a group of kids to us ...... it didn't end well for the locals.

Funnily enough, none of the British troops were brought up on charges for the ensuing violence.

Oh wow, that trumps anything I've got. O.o

I see alot of dead animals (Stupid pheasants have a death wish I swear) but that's about it.

I was on a ferry and saw a man playing a slot machine. It was the kind where putting in the minimum amount of money means you can only win if the reels line up in the middle and the more money you put in, the more lines (like diagonal lines and so on) will count as wins. So this man put in a 500 kronor bill, which is like $83, and started playing, wagering about 100 kronor every time. It was horrible to see someone lose so much money so quickly.

A man getting crushed. It happened at my job. An old lady seemed not realize she was pressing on the accelerator in the parking lot. She ended up ramming into the doors, where a guy was walking out. She must have floored it, because you could hear her car accelerating very quickly and see the burned rubber in the parking lot. She took out a few bricks on the side of the building and then pinned him against the sliding door's frame. He died. I'm actually, in a way, the one responsible for his death, because I wasn't sure where his cigarettes were that he was asking for since it was my second day on the job. If I'd found them faster, he would have left sooner.

Anyway, nothing else comes close that I'm willing to share.

Eh, idunno. I do remember that I was around the age of 7 or something, me and my family came across a cat lying in a ditch beside a road, likely crushed by a car. I don't remember exactly how it looked, but I am pretty sure the back body and legs were gone/squished beyond recognition, and that it had all its entrails on the outside. Oh, and it was completely riddled with maggots so it must have been in this condition for some time. We killed it by bashing it in the head with a hammer.

axlryder:
A man getting crushed. It happened at my job. An old lady seemed not realize she was pressing on the accelerator in the parking lot. She ended up ramming into the doors, where a guy was walking out. She must have floored it, because you could hear her car accelerating very quickly and see the burned rubber in the parking lot. She took out a few bricks on the side of the building and then pinned him against the sliding door's frame. He died. I'm actually, in a way, the one responsible for his death, because I wasn't sure where his cigarettes were that he was asking for since it was my second day on the job. If I'd found them faster, he would have left sooner.

Anyway, nothing else comes close that I'm willing to share.

Shit man, i hope you dont carry that with you, nothing you could have done, wrong place, wrong time

Rawne1980:

... Dude.

Not that I'd ever condone service personnel abusing their power, but I do hope it was a 'My rifle pointed in your face says "no"' moment.

As for me, I came across a guy who'd OD'd on Heroin on a night out once. Seems a little tame now but I was freaking the fuck out at the time. It's the only time I've ever had someone quite literally dying in front of me. Even in the absense of any kind of blood or screaming, it's not a pleasant thing to see.

Edit: I've also seen an 8 year old girl hit by a car. In some ways this was more 'shocking' than the OD incident, as I wasn't actually there to witness OD guy put the needle in his arm. However, It's wasn't the most disturbing thing because she got away with no more than cuts and bruises (she almost got out of the way in time so it was only a glancing blow, and the car did slow dramatically just before it hit her).

This actually would not be the highest on traditionally disturbing things that I have encountered, but the one that affected me was a few days after black Saturday, we had been far enough outside the fires that we didn't have to abandon our home, but close enough that we had everything prepped to run. Anyway, a few days after the fact I was on top of a hill in one of the worst affected areas and everything for literally as far as the eye could see was just black, burnt, destroyed.

Well, I work in a hospital, so I've seen my fair share of... things. I've seen the disfigured, the dying, and the dead.

But, I think the most horrible encounter I ever had was with an old woman, who was bed-ridden, and flat-out asking me to kill her.

I mean, violence is one thing, but having someone, let alone someone you don't even know, asking you to take their life? It was just... I'm not sure how to describe it. Unnerving, I guess.

A woman in ICU with her head bashed in, twitching in silent pain as the nurse couldn't find her vein and kept digging with the needle and the woman kept writhing and twitching and I felt the pain. I was sad for the whole day.

A middle-aged obese man with a catheter up his urethra. I heard him moan in pain as the doctor was conducting some sort of procedure, I turn around, see the catheter, and everything is horribly swollen. I winced.

The inside of my own toe, as I took a scalpel and a pair of pincers to it because goddammit, I was going to get that fucking bit of nail that had been driving me insane for weeks. No anaesthesia. Surprising amount of blood.

A classmate's corpse at his wake, bloated and unrecognisable. He wasn't the kid I knew. There had been too much delay between the time of death and the wake. Dubious circumstances surrounding the death (electrocution on a field trip). I didn't stay long.

-

This isn't even close to the things I'm going to see, I just know it. I know there's so much worse coming, and sometimes it terrifies the living hell out of me.

Living animals with rotten flesh and maggots. That is sick and disgusting and any owner who lets their pet get infected in maggots needs to face some animal abuse charges. I've seen my dad die of cancer, my brother attempt suicide by cutting, but maggots is still the worst. It's like a moving corpse just waiting til time runs out.

Rawne1980:

Wow--I take it from what you say, you & your fellow soldiers "dealt with the situation appropriately".
For that I thank you. I hope you will accept my internet handshake.
Hard to say what my worst thing was...I saw a man in Haiti with the lower half of his body turned
the opposite direction from his upper half, don't know if it was congenital or from an accident, that's
the worst one that springs to mind.

A poor dog that was neglected to the point of being so heavily infested with ticks that by the time he made it to the veterinarian, they couldn't save him because his body simply did not have enough blood left to recover from being so starved out.

When I was younger, I had a pet rabbit. One night he went missing, we looked for him and couldn't find him. We decided to look again in the morning. We found him eventually a bit... Bedraggled, it looked like some animal had torn off chunks of his hair. He was alive, but still hurt. We washed him, and spent the day caring for him and attempting to nurse him back to health. The next day, we were going to take him to the vet... Yet for whatever reason he disappeared again when we woke up the next day and prepared to take him to the vet. Me and my little brother searched all day for him, and just couldn't find him... Until we looked in my parents room.

We found him hiding behind the bed, I reached down to pick him up and take him to the crate... When suddenly he slipped and fell from my hands. He wasn't moving, nor was he breathing. Something about the way he hit the ground, it scared me and my little brother and we actually ran. It seemed more like a statue then a (formerly) living animal. We asked our dad to go check on him, and he came back with the news that my pet had died.

Needless to say, I was upset.

There's also the videos of a hospital run by revolutionaries in syria. The wounds were... Horrifying to say the least.

a high school friend of mine who took her own life in front of a train. Not going to make any judgements out loud on this and would prefer others didn't...

Of the accident site, all i saw was one of her shoes lying in tracks, with a small amount of blood on it.

That image has stayed with me forever.

TehCookie:
Living animals with rotten flesh and maggots. That is sick and disgusting and any owner who lets their pet get infected in maggots needs to face some animal abuse charges. I've seen my dad die of cancer, my brother attempt suicide by cutting, but maggots is still the worst. It's like a moving corpse just waiting til time runs out.

Having spent a good portion of my childhood on a medium sized sheep farm, i can attest to the fact that this is very disturbing indeed.

I agree with your comment about pets, but just so you are aware (if you aren't already) a sheep becoming fly blown can happen so fast that it is almost impossible to catch every potential case in amongst thousands of sheep. It can literally happen within hours especially in lambing season.

It is horrible, disturbing and depressing, and unfortunately very rarely treatable. It more often than not ends in the poor animal being destroyed.

There was a long time where my sister wouldn't flush the toilet after having used it.

So. I've seen some serious shit.

I once watched an episode of Grey's Anatomy.

I still cry myself to sleep.

Does the World Trade Center coming down count? If so, well, yea. Pretty horrifying, I must have blocked it off as a child to stop any damage, but still. It's undoubtedly the worst thing I've seen in my life. My grandfather passing away after a heart attack was peaceful.

I've gotten some texts from a (then) girlfriend and then as an ex that caused full blown panic attacks.
Relationship stuff like that is a real big trigger for my anxiety.
Edit: I know it doesn't seem like much, but anyone who gets bad anxiety attacks knows how bad it can get.

This one girl I was "talking to" once sent me a link to Truegore. Fucking disgusting.

axlryder:
snip

It's not your fault, it's a case of wrong place, wrong time. Don't carry it with you.

One of the worst things i've seen was when my dad was in hospital after a car crash years ago, we had ot go through the head trauma unit to get to ICU, and i saw this one man, his chainsaw blade had snapped and taken out a large section of his face, one eye, crushed the bone in his nose, i think it took out two teeth and this just fleshy gash the length of his face diagonally. I was 5 at the time.

I've seen about a dozen car accidents in less than 4 years, one woman was killed in one.

I'm not that willing to share more so please don't ask.

A cat flopping on the road, bouncing left and right, neck broken right after being hit by a car, at an intersection on my way to work. I still try to keep all my cats (I have a few) in the house, especially the young ones.

I worked at a burn clinic in Haiti after the earthquake. I'm just gonna leave it at that.

I saw a dog getting raped. Well I biked past the gate of a house where there was one dog yapping and squealing and trying to get out with another dog on top of it... you know.

I once saw a cat get run over by a car, then slowly die, flopping back in forth in horrible pain from being crushed. That was about it, but it was still pretty horrifying. :P

EDIT: Oh, and I have seen a huge amount of awful road-kill (as in, deer on the side of the road torn open, guts everywhere), but I have honestly seen so much it doesn't bother me much anymore. :\

Well... If you count things that my memory repressed so bad that I can't remember details other than the fact that it happened...
When I was raped when I was 5 or 6

One thing I would never wish on even my worst enemy.

Other than that, WTC Coverage, and less tragic but still disturbing, I watched my Stepdad skin rabbits, well not just skin them, but hang up a live rabbit by it's feet,smack it with a 2x4, drain it, and proceed to skin it. As soon as the skin came off I was out.

And my family was standing around as if it was entertainment. I understand that it was for food, and if forced I could probably butcher an animal, but I was 9 or 10 at the time and I was very VERY squeamish(still am). No it didn't make me a vegetarian. I still enjoy my tasty, tasty animal murder. :p

I helped clean up the results of a pitbull accidentally catching an artery on another dog as they were playing. There was a lot of blood, and some of it had started to dry and coagulate on the top.

Yeah, that's probably the worst thing I've seen IRL that I can remember. I mean, I've probably seen something worse at one point, I'm actually fairly certain of that. I'm equally certain that there's a damn good reason that I'm repressing it.

I'm awfully lucky in that reguard. The only thing I can recall was walking past a disfigured, crippled beggar once in Marrakesh. I only remember thinking "His legs are like sausages someone's been taking bites out of", and wondering what could've been the matter with the poor man.

I did help kill and prepare chickens at the farm next door once, but it was only disturbing for a while. You know, they lived a good chicken-life up to then and everything.
I have been visiting relatives in the hospital, but it wasn't what I saw that disturbed me very much, it was the smell. Whenever I think of that horrid hospital smell, I flare my nostrils and my heart starts beating. I'd take the cloggiest, pooiest sewer in the world over the hospital...

Aye, I'm a very lucky man, all things considered...

That depends. I was able to shrug off most nasty things I saw....some disfigurement, couple of burn victims etc.
First thing that comes to mind though was the time I got hit over the head by a 50 pound iron lid. I was 12 at the time, but I remember very vividly how I stumbled woozily towards the school bathrooms to clean myself up. When I got there and looked in the mirror, matted hair and entire face covered in blood I thought "Holy crap my parents are gonna kill me"
All in all I was lucky. Doctor that stitched me up told me if it had hit me a couple of inches lower I would've surely been paralyzed. Now when I look back on it I'm surprised how little I was scared or worried when it happened. Carefree, silly kid :)

Two flies had sex and then they landed in my soup. It was rank.

*looks at other posts*

Jesus Christ I haven't lived life.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked