Most disturbing thing you've ever seen in real life?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I found my mother gasping for breath on the couch and in immense pain. I had to call 911. By the time they got her to the hospital her heart had stopped twice and was brain dead. I was asked to make the decision on if we should pull the plug or not. I was 17 at the time I made that decision.

One that I can remember was when I was doing parkour and one of the people I was doing it with smashed his shins into a sharp wall at high speed. Man there was fat and blood dripping out of his shins. I expected blood to come out but not other things lol. Anyway, he decided the best thing was to do was pull his socks up really high to try and hide it....Yeah.

I work in a Pathology Lab so I have seen (and touched) every part of the human body. Everything from eyeballs to livers to brains and hearts and entire limbs. Add the words gangreen or cancered or infested or what-have-you to the front of any of those and there's a good chance I've seen it too.
Yet the most disturbing thing I have ever seen was that severely overweight dude cosplaying Sailor Jupiter at Supanova a few years back sweating up a storm and panting like a doberman. And Jupiter was my favourite God damn...

Remus:
A cat flopping on the road, bouncing left and right, neck broken right after being hit by a car, at an intersection on my way to work. I still try to keep all my cats (I have a few) in the house, especially the young ones.

While I get the anxiety (my own cat died in my arms after being hit by a car), you cannot keep cats cooped up in a house. They're territorial predators. It's in their nature to roam and hunt. Denying them that is the same as having a dog and never taking it for a walk. They either get hyperactive, or overweight. It's just cruel to keep them locked away. I'm sorry but I have to say it.

Probably when I saw a salmon gasping for its life when my dad held it out (a friend caught a fish for my parent to cook).
Yes it's not disturbing if you are a fisher or see something like that normally but that was the first time I've seen an animal I'm going to eat soon. No it didn't change my view on eating meat but I suppose it could of been if I were to see that everyday or make me got used to it.

An ex once cut her throat open to try and convince me to come back, never seen that much blood at one time before. She lived and I hope that she was institutionalized now, once she was stabilized I got the hell out of there at the first opportunity and haven't looked back.

After reading all those posts I'm grateful the worst I've seen is roadkill squirrels. If my dad was writing this, he'd have stuff to say that could make anyone depressed.

One particularly disturbing thing I saw was a giant turtle next to the sea, rotting, with a massive egg half hanging out. Not sure waht species it was but it was huge and round, maybe 2 metres long and 1.5 wide and tall, with a 50cm-ish egg kind just, half sticking out... Turtles aren't supposed to be on that half of the island either. They're known for laying eggs in North Cyprus, not a rocky area in the south.

WWmelb:

TehCookie:
Living animals with rotten flesh and maggots. That is sick and disgusting and any owner who lets their pet get infected in maggots needs to face some animal abuse charges. I've seen my dad die of cancer, my brother attempt suicide by cutting, but maggots is still the worst. It's like a moving corpse just waiting til time runs out.

Having spent a good portion of my childhood on a medium sized sheep farm, i can attest to the fact that this is very disturbing indeed.

I agree with your comment about pets, but just so you are aware (if you aren't already) a sheep becoming fly blown can happen so fast that it is almost impossible to catch every potential case in amongst thousands of sheep. It can literally happen within hours especially in lambing season.

It is horrible, disturbing and depressing, and unfortunately very rarely treatable. It more often than not ends in the poor animal being destroyed.

If you catch it early enough it is treatable, you just have to spend hours picking out maggots and cutting off the dead flesh. I work at a vets office which is where I see all the cases, and taking care of one or two pets is completely different from a farm full of sheep.

TehCookie:

WWmelb:

TehCookie:
Living animals with rotten flesh and maggots. That is sick and disgusting and any owner who lets their pet get infected in maggots needs to face some animal abuse charges. I've seen my dad die of cancer, my brother attempt suicide by cutting, but maggots is still the worst. It's like a moving corpse just waiting til time runs out.

Having spent a good portion of my childhood on a medium sized sheep farm, i can attest to the fact that this is very disturbing indeed.

I agree with your comment about pets, but just so you are aware (if you aren't already) a sheep becoming fly blown can happen so fast that it is almost impossible to catch every potential case in amongst thousands of sheep. It can literally happen within hours especially in lambing season.

It is horrible, disturbing and depressing, and unfortunately very rarely treatable. It more often than not ends in the poor animal being destroyed.

If you catch it early enough it is treatable, you just have to spend hours picking out maggots and cutting off the dead flesh. I work at a vets office which is where I see all the cases, and taking care of one or two pets is completely different from a farm full of sheep.

Very true, very true. Out of curiosity, whereabouts are you geographically? I'm in australia, and our summers are notorious breeding grounds for this type of thing >< The only thing i really don't miss about farm life really.

Most disturbing thing I have ever seen was a pencil that had gone about half an inch into my hand without realising it at school,had me on edge that I might seriously hurt myself without realising it for weeks.

adamsaccount:
I saw an old lady get hit by a car. Seeing someone so frail get thrown about like that really fkd me up and reminded me how fragile life can be. No idea if she was ok but my guess is not.

old ladies are made of rubber. i saw then bounce cars away and leaving without a scrach. true story.

a cat decided to die by my door. but me not leaving the house every day only noticed it when half of it was made of maggots. fun job to clean that up i tell you.

I saw a woman jump off of bridge into the path of an oncoming train
... I didn't sleep for weeks

I saw a pigeon get run over by a wagon
... I never ate pigeon pie again

triggrhappy94:
I've gotten some texts from a (then) girlfriend and then as an ex that caused full blown panic attacks.
Relationship stuff like that is a real big trigger for my anxiety.
Edit: I know it doesn't seem like much, but anyone who gets bad anxiety attacks knows how bad it can get.

This one girl I was "talking to" once sent me a link to Truegore. Fucking disgusting.

I second the relationship stuff, that's the stuff that f*cked me up the most.
I had anxiety attack for more than a year afterwards and I still sometimes get them.
Not pretty.

As for straight out violent and disturbing:
I saw a men get robbed in a street at knife-point when I was a child and could do nothing to help him.

I worked in a hospital for a while on a station with a great many senile patients.
We had patients who came with extremely bad injuries and some who came in such sorry states that the nurses refused to touch them without gloves.

For the more faint, it might also be worth mentioning, that, as a med student, I had to dissect a human body already and the process of transforming what once was a human being into nothing but mangled remains barely recognizable anymore might also be disturbing to some.

And the absolute worst thing I ever saw/experienced I will not share openly, mainly because it is just way too fucked up.

When I was 6 years old, we went boating on the 4th of July(on a large lake). On our way back, we saw an explosion come from another boat off in the distance(turns out that sparklers are poor substitutes for flashlights when working near fuel tanks). After we landed, I saw the bodies being taken ashore(there were survivors, but I didn't see them). The corpses were covered in burns and were pretty nasty to look at. Not a great way to go.

Not sure...
But I'll be going to an autopsy in 3 weeks
So guess that'll be it...

I must have been 15 years old at the time, and was in Montreal waiting for the metro to arrive. As the train approached, the man beside me decided today was the day he was going to jump in front of it.

At the ripe age of 16, I threw my first alcohol-infused party. My girlfriend at the time, who had gotten plastered, thought it a good idea to put on some heels and walk around the house. She fell and twisted her knee so that the kneecap was on the side of her leg.

When I was somewhere around 17 years old, a fight broke out on my street. Two guys were drunk and fighting, and there was a crowd of some 20 people standing around. One guy whips out a knife and stabs the other buddy twice.

I attended a party a few years back; a pool party to be exact. A friend thought it would be a good idea to jump from the house balcony in to the pool. Snapped his neck in the process.

This past thanksgiving (canadian thanksgiving), I woke up fairly early and stepped outside. From the porch, I was able to see over the fence and in to my neighbors backyard. It was then that I noticed that my neighbor had hung himself from a tree.

The first one was probably the most disturbing to see.

im bipolar and when i get manic i tend to hallucinate badly. ive seen some messed up crap in real life but it cant beat that for disturbing

God, the worst I have seen IRL is dead animals hit by cars. I absolutely hate seeing (Most) animals suffering, those people who were talking about seeing cats who had been hit but not dead, I would absolutely hate that. But then there are people who have seen suicides or worst. God, I never want to see any of that stuff....

I saw a wolf spider in my room. It was rather...what's the word...oh yeah, disturbing.

This one guy threw a spanner at an innocent monkey's head and I shit you not, it's head exploded.

And this happend when I was like 7 so it messed me up pretty good.

For me it would also be a street fight. Violence of some people is just terrible.

Jesus, you pepole have seen some terrible things. Ugh.

OT: Well, a motorcycle and its driver literally exploded in front of my home after hitting a fence. The accident itself wasn't that disturbing, though. All the bystanders gathering around the corpse and taking pictures of it like it was a local attraction were disturbing.

Rawne1980:
Probably during a UN peacekeeping tour in Cambodia.

Some of the local forces were forcing some of the local children into prostitution.

You had roughly 20 British troops from the Para's, Royal Marines and Coldstream Guards and a gang of locals trying to pimp off a group of kids to us ...... it didn't end well for the locals.

Disturbed me how casual they approached us and brought it up.

Funnily enough, none of the British troops were brought up on charges for the ensuing violence.

That's... sort of funny, actually. I have two that topped it to me. One I won't discuss here, but the other was an artillery piece failed spectacularly, and blew one of the gunners to kibble. The disturbing bit was that I got offered one of the guy's fingers as a souvenir by one of the squad.

When i was around 12 years old two of my classmates managed to break an arm and a leg while playing with swings, it was on a school trip so we had to drive for a while until we reached a hospital, and i was sitting close to the one who broke his leg, he was kinda fat so there was a lot of meat and blood, i'm not sure how i managed not to vomit. And a 3 yo kid got run over by two cars next to my house, not sure how i forgot that..

My dad's brain hemorrhage:
Seeing my father in the hospital in the hospital when he was able to receive visitors with a tube in his neck and him making a horrifying sound as he attempted to breathe and the beeping of the hospital equipment was traumatizing.
He survived but it has traumatized me for live.

*DEEP BREATH*

Last summer it had become a very hot experience for me especially at work, so for the hotter period of August all i did was drink cold gatorades, sodas, and juices. Around this time also i had a urinary tract infection and this hill of flesh was growing on the inside of my thigh.

Apparently i had been diabetic for a long time and i blew a +400 on blood sugar [avg is 100] and going through diabetic kido assidosis OR 'Diabetic shock'.

Several of the side effects i experience besides pissing every 20 minutes, dehydration, vomiting every time i ate, burning stomach pains & loss of sleep, dizziness, blurry vision, and the point im trying to make CONSTIPATION

WHY Constipation, well...

Around the 4th day of my hospital stay i was still a little dizzy and ive been really having the need to go, but i struggled and couldn't and just ended hurting because it felt like my exit was pinched open

5th day morning... I fight and i fight until finally i force it out but it was the most horrific thing i have ever experienced. It felt like i gave birth without pain killers. I look back and its literally the size of a human fore arm, and it was dark colored, and covered with blood that trailed from the toilet all the way to under my thighs

Then the next time i had to go the stool softener kicked in and i left a trail from the hospital bed to the toilet and it wasnt blood this time.

WWmelb:

TehCookie:

WWmelb:

Very true, very true. Out of curiosity, whereabouts are you geographically? I'm in australia, and our summers are notorious breeding grounds for this type of thing >< The only thing i really don't miss about farm life really.

I'm in Michigan, USA so it's not a very common problem since our summers are short.

thejackyl:

Other than that, WTC Coverage, and less tragic but still disturbing, I watched my Stepdad skin rabbits, well not just skin them, but hang up a live rabbit by it's feet,smack it with a 2x4, drain it, and proceed to skin it. As soon as the skin came off I was out.
And my family was standing around as if it was entertainment. I understand that it was for food, and if forced I could probably butcher an animal, but I was 9 or 10 at the time and I was very VERY squeamish(still am). No it didn't make me a vegetarian. I still enjoy my tasty, tasty animal murder. :p

THere are better ways to kill animals for food than that. If he didn't know what he was doing, it could be considered abuse. If he did, then it was probably quick but still needlessly brutal.

Objectively the WTC attacks. Though when I was little I didn't think anything of it. The thoughts that were running through my head were "Yay we get to go out of school early! That's a weird movie mommy's watching."

Leemaster777:
Well, I work in a hospital, so I've seen my fair share of... things. I've seen the disfigured, the dying, and the dead.

But, I think the most horrible encounter I ever had was with an old woman, who was bed-ridden, and flat-out asking me to kill her.

I mean, violence is one thing, but having someone, let alone someone you don't even know, asking you to take their life? It was just... I'm not sure how to describe it. Unnerving, I guess.

Ah man,i'm studying to get my bachelor in nursing. Did a lot of internships already. So indeed, the dead, dying, witnessing someone die. All had those. I also had someone ask me for the end, ask i say. . . .More like flat out crying and begging.

For me the worst one was well not exactly disturbing but more gut wrenching/emotion tearing incident. On the department where i was an intern we had a girl 19 years old. This girl came to our hospital to have her lower left leg removed. This was due to somekind of growth/tumor. Pretty bad having to work with a 19 year old girl getting through the notion of losing her leg. But afterwards, after the operation and additional checks, there were more tumors. I saw the pictures, she had a tumorthe size of my fist in her liver and a small tumor on her ovaries. Her prognosis was bad, really bad 15% survivability rate bad.
I was there when her family just found out, mother, sisters everyone torn up. Crying etc. She was so goddamn strong. She told her family "it's ok, it'll be oke. We're gonna make this one way or another". . . . But the here is the punch line. I was there when she caved in. When she lost it. Man that was so bad. . . . me and my collegue just sat there and stayed with her on her room. We were there for her, most beutiful thing i have done to day for one of my patients, but also the hardest goddamn thing.

This was in 2008, she probably dead by now. Due to my personal life being a chaos i never found out. 19 years old, beutiful and smart as hell. . . . Such a shame.

Sorry for the wall of text, but couldn't tell it another way.

I saw a man die from a heartattack (or that's what I think it was)on an open street in egypt.
People tried to help but it didn't work and he died right there.
I have actually been trying to suppress that memory.

A video of myself passing out. I reckon that qualifies as real life because I lived it first and that was pretty disturbing in it's own right.

It seems weak compared to some of the other stuff on here, but watching yourself go pale, start choking and go limp as a boned fish all of a sudden is freaky as all hell.

Seeing ny grandfather die from an epileptic fit/heart failure which was brought on by heart disease.

Oh, and that happened on my 14th birthday. Yay...

Well...let's see...when I was 15 my mother, brother, and I celebrated my 16th birthday about 2,3 weeks early because my brother was going to move back to California. Later that day my mother told my step-dad about how she and I planned to go stay with my brother for a couple of days in California. I'm not really sure what went through his head after that, but he got upset about it and decided he HAD to have his handgun. He got the gun and started tearing up his and my mother's bedroom trying to find the safety key, which small miracles, he didn't find. Even though he couldn't find it though he took it with him into the living room and sat in his recliner with the gun on the arm of his chair. The night ended with calling the police and my brother had to take me to stay with him and a friend of his.

Yeah...that wasn't...fun times...

Screamarie:
Well...let's see...when I was 15 my mother, brother, and I celebrated my 16th birthday about 2,3 weeks early because my brother was going to move back to California. Later that day my mother told my step-dad about how she and I planned to go stay with my brother for a couple of days in California. I'm not really sure what went through his head after that, but he got upset about it and decided he HAD to have his handgun. He got the gun and started tearing up his and my mother's bedroom trying to find the safety key, which small miracles, he didn't find. Even though he couldn't find it though he took it with him into the living room and sat in his recliner with the gun on the arm of his chair. The night ended with calling the police and my brother had to take me to stay with him and a friend of his.

Yeah...that wasn't...fun times...

Far out. Did he have a history of strange behaviour or was it totally out of the blue?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked