What is your favourite anime?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Scarim Coral:

Stryc9:

Scarim Coral:

Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig

Why just 2nd Gig? The whole series was excellent and if the OP hasn't watched it yet I highly recommend it along with the Solid State Society movie. Get the full series though, NOT the Laughing Man and Individual Eleven "movies" they made after the series ended it's run. They changed all the voice actors around and from what I've heard it really hurt the quality.

I just think 2nd Gig was better compared to the first series. The plot was far more interesting, the action was awesome and it being a new insight to Motoko and other spotlights on the other characters of Section 9.

It still doesn't hurt to watch the first season beforehand though. There are plenty of good episodes in there too. 2nd Gig also references previous bits of the first season often enough to make it worth watching first. I will admit however that a lot of my favorite episodes do come from 2nd Gig. Particularly the Cash Eye episode.

Windknight:
Hmm... going to ccheat and pick one each for tv series, oav and movie

Tv Series: Haibane Renmei
OAV: Orguss 02
Movies: summer wars

Someone else has seen and properly appreciated Orguss 02?

I *love* Orguss 02! But I only know a few other people who've seen it and they all
thought it was so-so.

bartholen:

Casual Shinji:

bartholen:
Of the less than 10 anime series I've watched, The Vision of Escaflowne I liked most. It's great, despite somewhat running out of steam towards the end.

That was a very fun show.

There's few anime that feel truly adventurous, and even less where the protagonist is a girl.

It had a big, fat non-ending though. And I heard the movie didn't conclude much either.

I think I'm in the minority because I don't think there's anything wrong with Escaflowne's ending. Sure it's a little sudden, but it's not hard to fill in some gaps by yourself like Hitomi saying goodbye to all the characters or spending some time on Gaea after the war. I even thought up a little epilogue for myself, just to give a sense of closure. There actually are slightly different endings to VoE on YouTube, they were part of an Escaflowne-based video game. In one of them all the main characters come to Folken's grave to say goodbye to Hitomi, which IMO was the most satisfying ending.

I really with they'd give that series a remake, Rebuild Evangelion-style, or just make the series like it was originally meant to be: 36 episodes in length. That alone would take it to entire new galaxies of awesomeness.

I thought Escaflowne's ending was fine too. The key part for me was

The scenes from the video game that you mention are also available as extras on the DVD's.

I am notoriously bad with lists; however, I can easily say when it comes to Anime, Hidamari Sketch is my all-time favorite series.

Smeggs:
Favorite? Hmm...

Not sure I could name a favorite series. I feel kind of silly for this one, but Kiki's Delivery Service is my favorite anime film.

Why would you feel silly about that? It's an excellent film--my 'go-to' film for when I'm feeling
like I can't go on and need reassurance that things will be all right.

My favorite--if I absolutely have to pick--is Urusei Yatsura;The Return of Lum.
Others too close to mention are: Vision of Escaflowne, Ruin Explorers, Haibane Renmei,
Outlaw Star, Sailor Moon (judge me if you want), Oh! My Goddess! (OAV's and Movie, TV
series was OK, but not on the same level), Love Hina, Irresponsible Captain Tylor,
El Hazard the Magnificent World(OAV's), Sugar the Little Snow Fairy, Air.

Usagi Drop would probably be on that list, but I've only read the manga.

From what I've heard, Clannad & After Story would probably be on the list for me
as well, but I haven't gotten around to seeing them yet.

Favorite Manga--Hibiki's Magic, Yotsuba&!, Oh! My Goddess!, Usagi Drop.
Not nearly enough people know about Yotsuba&!, I like to describe it as
the lighter side of Usagi Drop.

Anime that I know was awful but loved--Rio! Rainbow Gate (Judge me if you want).

Anime that didn't make it on to my faves list but are must see; Monster, Utena, Fruits Basket.

FMA Brotherhood for sure.

Then, definitely some Nichibros even though it was so short.

Then the first half of Durarara, for the sake of still liking it, i'll pretend everything was fine before the bazillion crappy and unoriginal plot twists.

It always has been, and always will be, Dragon Ball Z.

Code Geass is probably my favorite, the characters flip flop between good and evil all the time. Plus it made me cry numerous times.

I seem to be picky when it comes to anime. Things that turn me off are: rivers of blood pouring from a papercut wound, sketchy scenes/too much fanservice, and most importantly women with breasts the size of watermelons with the voice of a 8 year old....makes me want to vomit.

I'm that weird guy that doesn't drink but thinks bartender is a great show.

Although there's bound to be something that I overall like more, the most recent series I have a strong passion for is Shin Sekai Yori. The series is absolutely fantastic at keeping a good pace and tension. I really do recommend checking it out if you don't mind most modern titles.

my favorite would be at 1 Gankutsuo 2 History's strongest Kenichi 3 Seto no Hanayome 4 Hellsing OVA 5 Nodame Cantabile

I'm not a huge fan of anime like most of my friends but the shows I do watch I really love.

Sword Art Online
Death Note
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Outlaw Star
Inuyasha

My favorite is definitely Puella Magi Madoka Magcica. 12 episodes of pure beauty.

Gunslinger Girl by a slim margin, eeking out 3x3 Eyes and Cowboy Bebop

To be totally honest, I've recently lost my appetite for Anime, most of it just moves to slowly for me. Or it sucks. I much prefer manga. That said...

ShinyCharizard:
Well I've only watched a few series so far but I would say my favourite is Steins;gate.

We could be very good friends sir...

Clasically, Not much tops Escaflowne. Hitomi is really annoying but everything else is amazing. DBZ because nostalgia and Rurouni Kenshin to a certain extent (THEY COMPLETELY IGNORED THE BEST (LAST) ARC WITH ENISHI AND TOMOE! GRRRR) In this category are Trigun, FMA, etc...

Besides those, I really liked Clannad and Tomoyo After because it made me cry like a little bitch. Things that give me those mad feels bro are always welcome.

I also liked Bakemonogatari, Durarara!!!, and a few other more recent quirky ones.

well i recently finished ANGEL BEATS!

and that is now in my top 5. it has just about everything i like in it.

1.hellsing ultimate
2.elfen lied
3.angel beats
4.moon phase
5.darker then black

1.Hellsing+Hellsing Ultimate
2. Neon Genesis Evangelion
3. Death Note
4. Code Geass
5. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

Also best artist scene from the latest OVA of Hellsing ultimate below.

Hmmm... I think these would be my favorite in no particular order.

Higurashi - Adventurous and risky in the liberties it takes, but fun.
Azumanga Daioh - Nice n' mellow. How a slice-of-life anime should be.
Outlaw Star - For me, this is probably my absolute favorite. Fun story, fun characters, and a fun atmosphere!
Cowboy Bebop - The group of characters is great. I mean they have a welsh corgi in there as part of the main cast!

Honorable Mentions go to....

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumya - Nice premise, but the majority of the 2nd season is a complete waste of time. The first season is really touching and leaves a lot open for a mystery.

Trigun - With Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop up there, I would expect this to be up higher. The premise and the setting is nice, but it hasn't really caught my interest as much as the others.

Stryc9:

Scarim Coral:

Stryc9:

Why just 2nd Gig? The whole series was excellent and if the OP hasn't watched it yet I highly recommend it along with the Solid State Society movie. Get the full series though, NOT the Laughing Man and Individual Eleven "movies" they made after the series ended it's run. They changed all the voice actors around and from what I've heard it really hurt the quality.

I just think 2nd Gig was better compared to the first series. The plot was far more interesting, the action was awesome and it being a new insight to Motoko and other spotlights on the other characters of Section 9.

It still doesn't hurt to watch the first season beforehand though. There are plenty of good episodes in there too. 2nd Gig also references previous bits of the first season often enough to make it worth watching first. I will admit however that a lot of my favorite episodes do come from 2nd Gig. Particularly the Cash Eye episode.

Err I have watched the first series, how else can I make a comment to say that 2nd Gig was better to the first? I simply prefer the second series over to the first plain and simple.
I may aswell mention that I have seen the film Solid State Society and the very first film aswell. The only anime related Ghost in the Shell I haven't seen is that sequel to the first film with Bato as the lead character.

Lovely Mixture:

RobfromtheGulag:
snip

You tolerate DMC? But you think Bakemonogatari is "pushing the envelope." That seems abit hypocritical to say the least.

How many anime involve some completely vanilla ass-hat getting the girl of his dreams because he's a nice guy? Now how many anime involve a schizophrenic rock star who spits on his girlfriend? DMC was so outlandish that it was clearly a parody. Bakemonogatari seemed at times to be taking itself seriously. Not to mention the premise is ancient. Pushing the envelope, no; one of numerous anime humorously condoning sexual assault; yes.

On Hellsing:
Hellsing, either the original anime or the convoluted manga/OVAs are appreciable for Alucard. Yes, he's a badass, but he does it in a stylish way rather than someone like Kenshiro. He also simply wins his fights. 99% of the shounen fighting anime (DBZ, Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, etc etc etc) involve this huge build up in every fight where the good guy loses then wins then probably loses again then evolves through spiritual evolution or belief in himself or some fruity business. Not Alucard. Alucard just wins, every time. I find that refreshing.

GunsmithKitten:
Gunslinger Girl by a slim margin, eeking out 3x3 Eyes and Cowboy Bebop

I liked Gunslinger Girl, but I hate how incomplete the plot feels :/

Cowboy Bebop, hands down. I have nothing more to add to it.

I'm gonna exclude films from my mind since that makes this far too difficult a decision;

Probably Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. I seriously cannot think of one bad thing to say about it.

I can't stand it when people call the first anime the "original" one - yeah it's the original anime, but it isn't the original story. Brotherhood followed the manga perfectly whereas the first anime went off the rails mid-way through and went its own direction, resulting in a very disappointing ending. As an anime, it rates half-way down my list. Brotherhood will always be the original to me.

xshadowscreamx:

5.darker then black

... It's Darker THAN Black. How can people still get it wrong when it's the title of a show and not a phrase?

Than is a comparison word: "I like chocolate more than ice cream."
Then is a word used to describe a sequence: "I went to the shops and then I went home."

Darker Then Black would mean that something was Darker, and then it was Black.

Sorry to single you out on this one, but it is becoming so common it's beginning to get on my nerves.

Death Note rules the world.
Code Geass plays in the same league.

I'm somewhat nostalgic with X(-1999) and Rurouni Kenshin.
Shigurui is nice, though everyone should just skip the far too short anime and read the manga, whose story is like thrice as long. Steins;Gate is worth its time.

The rest can be thrown away, in my opinion.

Steins;Gate and Spice and Wolf. I have a lot of honorable mentions but those two are by far my favorite.

I actually had a hard deciding a favourite but there's one I recently watched, fresh on my mind, that made a big impact on me and just really hit me hard; I'm also three years late in watching it.

Sora no Woto

I've to got to say, the more I think about it, about the characters, the setting, the more I love it. I guess my friend was right. I definitely shouldn't have burned through it in a couple of days.

I'm very depressed there isn't another season. I feel like crying. This anime was just absolutely wonderful.

Scarim Coral:
The only anime related Ghost in the Shell I haven't seen is that sequel to the first film with Bato as the lead character.

You're not missing much.

No single favourite, so I'll list a few of my choices here:

Evangelion: because come on. It's basically the Watchmen of anime. A deconstructor fleet with lashing of psychological drama, uber violence and crazy symbolism. One of the few anime shows I've seen that really lived up to the hype.

Cowboy Bebop: great characters, great setting, great animation, and one of the best soundtrack ever. The other show that lived up to the hype.

Black Lagoon: an unparalleled mix of 80s Action Movie tropes, and character driven drama. It manages to combine Rambo-esque moments of idiotic genius with dark, intricate storytelling similar to something like The Sopranos. Also a textbook example of how to do strong female characterisation. Nearly all of the biggest badasses are women, and it doesn't feel in any way gimmicky. That's how well written it is.

Kaiba: really trippy, thought provoking anime that explores the concept of memories, while having an astonishingly beautiful and haunting soundtrack to add atmosphere.

I could have sworn I posted to a thread about anime and which ones you like not too long ago (and not the top three big ones either). Alright, I'll do my 3 favorite breaking them into Action, Comedy and, Haromcom (harem-romantic-comedy) because that third one may as well be its own genre at this point.

Action!

Fist of the North Star

It's hyper violent and most enemies are killed off on the same episode in which they're introduced. There aren't any episode (possible exception of series 1 finale and possibly season enders) dedicated to powering up or, the trading of macho one-liners either. You fuck with Kenshiro, he makes you explode. Done.

Comedy!

Detroit Metal City

Every time DMC is spoken of it upsets me because it's NEVER about Detroit Metal City. DMC is similar to Metalocalypse in that it's about the exploits of the front man of a heavy metal band. The thing is he doesn't even like metal and wants to be a folk singer. Sadly, fate has other plan for him as the songs he's perverted in drunken bouts of depression are far more popular than the crappy folk music he tries to put out. This one has been out for a little while, long enough for a live-action film to have been made (featuring Gene Simmons as Jack Ill Dark).

Haromcom!

My favorite Haromcom at the moment is Rosario + Vampire because it takes the 'normal boy goes to supernatural school' thing and throws some awesome 'monsters' at him to get nose bleeds over. I say 'at the moment' because it isn't an all-time favorite (mainly because of the ABSOLUTELY STUPID season two finale). My all-time favorite Haromcom is Love Hina. Love Hina went on forever and I don't remember its final ending but it's the kind of show I can always go back and watch or just put on as background noise...or rather I could before I misplaced my DVDs (though I have a good idea of where they are). There isn't a single character I dislike and even Shinobu isn't stupidly underage (unlike whats-her-name from Rosario+Vampire...you know, the witch). I don't even remember it being super sexual which really made the nose-bleed moments stand out. I need to reacquaint myself with Love Hina...it's been a while.

Thanks to the aniDB, I have a list of my top 20 anime right here and don't need to think about it!

1. Dead Leaves

2. Death Note

3. Kino`s Journey -the Beautiful World-

4. Gunslinger Girl

5. Serial Experiments Lain

6. Monster

7. Tokyo Godfathers

8. Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

9. Mushi-Shi

10. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

11. Fullmetal Alchemist

12. Genshiken

13. Lucky Star

14. FLCL

15. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

16. Oreimo

17. .hack//SIGN

18. Seitokai Yakuindomo

19. Cromartie High School

20. Spice and Wolf

Here's my list of anime I love to watch:

- Katawa Shoujo

I know it's not a show but seriously, play the game. It's free, and will pull on your heart strings!

- Naruto Shippuden
    - Bleach
    - Elfen Lied
    - Blue Submarine No. 6
    - Full Metal Alchemist

The animes that aren't listed such as Death Note or One Piece, is ether because I never really got into them or just haven't continued watching due to being busy. Also there are animes I haven't seen yet which I would probably fall in love with .. only time will tell.

Madoka Magica & Another are up there at the top for me.
While I prefer grimdark animes, as I think these days, other types just aren't executed very well, I do enjoy some modern comedies, like Cromartie High School.

Legion:

xshadowscreamx:

5.darker then black

... It's Darker THAN Black. How can people still get it wrong when it's the title of a show and not a phrase?

Than is a comparison word: "I like chocolate more than ice cream."
Then is a word used to describe a sequence: "I went to the shops and then I went home."

Darker Then Black would mean that something was Darker, and then it was Black.

Sorry to single you out on this one, but it is becoming so common it's beginning to get on my nerves.

looks like im going have to reevaluate my life upto this point, where did i go wrong. darker then black sounded cooler, but thats just not how its spelled, i should have known this. i have much to consider. what i have learned now will make me a better person, i just know it will.

hey look mardock scramble, the only anime DVD that i own. i wish i could just buy more without buyers remorse. but there just so overpriced in Australia.

whoops sorry to use your quote box to vent some of my own frustration, however your venting quote was relevant. where im not being relevant at all.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked