Which of the Big 3 Anime is your preferred choice?
Bleach
11.9% (90)
11.9% (90)
Naruto
13.8% (104)
13.8% (104)
One Piece
18.1% (137)
18.1% (137)
WHAT!? *Insert Anime here* Isn't on here!? Bullsh*t I still pick it!
38.9% (294)
38.9% (294)
Not much of an Anime person, now TACOS on the other hand...
13.8% (104)
13.8% (104)
*sigh* I like all 3...
2.9% (22)
2.9% (22)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Which of the Big 3 Anime is your favorite?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

shrekfan246:

Sparrow:
Snip

Dragonball Z? Terrible? Since when? That shit was the fucking bomb.

Well, yeah, when they were actually doing anything, it was pretty awesome. Every other time, you've got five episodes of Goku powering up, training, smack talking, and/or eating. Or being completely absent so everyone else can get smacked around by the big bad until the plot necessitates that he show up. (I should hope the exaggeration here is obvious.)

Not that I think all of the filler is bad in itself, each arc would probably be ridiculously short without it, but it's pretty amusing nonetheless.

the manga is far better than the show aswell as the video games
this seems to be the case with a lot of toriyama-sensei's work

i heard rumors of a brand spanking new dr.slump anime
oh god yes

And the option for "They're all twilight-tier shite" lies where?

Of the three it's Naruto. I've never watched Bleach and One Piece didn't appeal. Favourite overall remains 'Crest of the Stars'.

I love One Piece, it's easily my all time favourite. I started watching it last year and am up to date waiting for a new episode each week. I don't know why so many people are complaining about filler episodes in One Piece, out of the current 574 episodes, only roughly 70 are filler and most of them are pretty good.

MY FAVORIT ANIME IS X MEN!

Those 3 huh.... ngh, Dragon Ball Z. Must hop on the bandwagon!

Ok but out of the 3 I'll pick Bleach, sure there are dumb arcs and stupid plot points that are more pointless then Apple products, but God damn the very first and Rescue Rukia arcs are amazing. One Piece didn't get interesting until they wound up in a desert (with the setting ironically focusing on the ocean), and Naruto constantly has dreadful pacing, a horrible unbalance of dialogue and action, and filler so boring especially when the main plot is dropped just to show us characters we'll probably never see again. You'd think Shippuden would have went a better route NOPE! followed the same format.

If we're talking currently running anime, then I don't watch any...and I'm really not a fan of those three shows.

Wait...those shows are anime? Coulda sworn they were three different flavors of crap. Huh.

Anyways, seeing as how all three of those shows emulate the "Never Ending Anime" style of DBZ (that is to say, anime with over 50 episodes...in the cases of these three, well into the hundreds) in which the protagonists somehow get more and more insanely powerful while somehow always coming up against the most dangerous villian ever (despite the fact that the same thing was said of the villian before that one...and the one before that one...and so on), I'd say that DBZ is the best of the group, despite not being named, since it is the grandfather to them all.

Think about it:
Bleach = DBZ with Swords.
Naruto = DBZ with Ninjas.
One Piece = DBZ with Slapdicks.

I don't give a single shit about any of those.
Used to like Bleach, but not so much any more.
Nowadays My favorites are Panty and Stocking, Princess Jellyfish, Death Note, etc.

RJ 17:

Bleach = DBZ with Swords.
Naruto = DBZ with Ninjas.
One Piece = DBZ with Slapdicks.

Offline anime clubs often ban the big three altogether from it because they just attract the worst kinds of people.

To have HUNDREDS of episodes of bullshit, to watch all of it, to be over 14 years old and yet still be entertained by it takes a special kind of person.

One piece because it stays consistently interesting. You watch it, thinking that they couldn't throw and other wacky shit at you, and then they bring reindeer, talking skeletons, cyborgs, and mermaids into the mix. Throw in a couple ACTUALLY sad back stories to make your characters more human and relatable, have them go on crazy adventures and bam, a mix for awesome.

Back in my day the big 3 were Dragonball Z, Pokemon, and Sailor Moon. To me Dragonball Z is something more than just another anime its the show that introduced me to the whole genre and I feel like its become something more like the Jesus of anime. In my opinion. But to answer your question Naruto.

Barciad:
Of the three it's Naruto. I've never watched Bleach and One Piece didn't appeal. Favourite overall remains 'Crest of the Stars'.

Also I agree with this person, crest of the stars and banner of the stars is awesome. Gotta love space elves!

I don't like any of these....

But since my anime nights turn into mystery-science-theater with the guys; I say Naruto. We had the easiest time making fun of that series.

Man really? Those are the three biggest animes now?

Okay I feel really old now. I've only watched 5 episodes of 2 of those shows. I've never even seen a full episode of Naruto! Heck, when I was growing up it was Cowboy Bebop, Dragon Ball Z and Sailor Moon. To be fair though back then I didn't like Dragon Ball Z either.

I'm not the biggest anime fan in the world anymore and I hate to feel like that old guy but man the most recent animes I watch are Wallflower, xXxHolic and Rosario + Vampire, with my favorites being Revolutionary Girl Utena, Trigun and Hellsing.

xplosive59:
I thought the modern big 3 were Death Note, Code Geass and Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Out of those 3 I would pick FMA: B (although my avatar is CG) as it is the most conisistantly epic!

I don't watch any of those you posted though.

Edit: Ever realise how anime seems to come in 3's? There is always 3 massive animes at one time, examples:

70's Golden era anime: Lupin the 3rd, Mobile Suit Gundam, Star Blazers
90's commercially successful anime: Dragonball Z, Sailor Moon and Pokemon
90's critically successful anime: Neon Genesis Evangelion, Trigun and Cowboy Bebop
00's commercially successful anime: Naruto, Bleach and One Piece
00's critically successful anime: Death Note, Code Geass and Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
etc.

Well the 90's also had Digimon, Outlaw Star and Ghost in the Shell.
There's plenty more than three's, people just have a tendency to only remember or care about up to three things.
Then there's the 80's where the only thing people care about was Fist of the North Star. Don't really know what happened there.

OT: Definitely One Piece. I haven't watched it, but just from hearing enough about it that anime is on a completely different level from the other two. I would try to get into it but with the sheer number of episodes it's at and my pace of anime watching... not likely.

Lancer873:

xplosive59:
I thought the modern big 3 were Death Note, Code Geass and Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Out of those 3 I would pick FMA: B (although my avatar is CG) as it is the most conisistantly epic!

Edit: Ever realise how anime seems to come in 3's? There is always 3 massive animes at one time, examples:

90's critically successful anime: Neon Genesis Evangelion, Trigun and Cowboy Bebop
00's critically successful anime: Death Note, Code Geass and Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
etc.

There's plenty more than three's, people just have a tendency to only remember or care about up to three things.
Then there's the 80's where the only thing people care about was Fist of the North Star. Don't really know what happened there.

OT: Definitely One Piece. I haven't watched it, but just from hearing enough about it that anime is on a completely different level from the other two. I would try to get into it but with the sheer number of episodes it's at and my pace of anime watching... not likely.

Add that to the 80s and it was Voltron and Robotech. Yeah technically, Voltron isn't an anime as it is a merge of two different animes but man was it popular when I was growing up. I still have a lot of my old Voltron toys that my parents got for me in the 80s in storage somewhere.

Robotech I didn't see as much but it was there just like Star Blazers and Gundam (not surprising since the Gundam and Robtech series are connected and Star Blazers is the same genre.)

When I hit my early teens (when anime was called Japanimation) I was shocked to find out they were all Japanese cartoons.

anthony87:

RandV80:
I'm curious though what kind of gimmick does One piece use? I gave it a shot but was never really able to get into it.

Well the way that One Piece does it is that it more or less follows a 1 manga chapter to 1 episode format, or near enough anyway. The story arcs can drag out but nearly everything you'll see in an episode is in the corresponding manga chapter so you don't just have a lot of stuff added in to pad out the anime, that's not to say that there isn't filler episodes but they're integrated into the main story in a way that you wouldn't actually know they're fillers unless you read the manga.

That's not what I meant, they pretty much all use the 1 manga chapter per 1 anime episode format. And I'm not talking about filler either (though I find a great deal of humour in the amount of bitching these series fans do about filler). The problem is that a single 17-20 page manga chapter doesn't translate well to a 21 minute anime episode. For a smooth 1:1 transition you actually need more like 50 pages of manga. So when going 1:1 to compensate this the animators use a number of tricks to drag out each episode. Bleach does ridiculously long recaps to fill the space while Naruto takes a more direct approach to the content. Back in the day DBZ had all sorts of tricks, to the point where you'd have a single episode devoted to Gohan grunting at Frieza while they 'power up'. So what I was asking is what 'trick' does One Piece use?

I was able to pick up on this myself, but if you ever watch the entirely awesome Gintama they joke about it from time to time. For the right type of anime fan these series are great because they just keep on going and going, but having to comply with an ongoing manga schedule means pound for pound 13, 26, or the larger 50+/- series are generally going to be better.

Big 3? Those shows are all terrible. I doubt your terminology! (In short, I dislike them all).

All of them give me a headache.

I think by 'big 3' they mean the three still on going in manga and consistently competing with each other in Japan for sales. And yes they are also lengthy as fu-

I ...there was a time I liked them all, and they faded out when shit got inevitably too much for one brain to cope with and still think about other things in the day.

Yeah, in what universe are those the "big 3"?
I could have sworn you meant 3 other, much more successful, well known/larger-fanbased.
Say:
DBZ,
Pokemon,
Yu-Gi-Oh.

Twilight_guy:
Big 3? Those shows are all terrible. I doubt your terminology! (In short, I dislike them all).

That's kind of how I felt. Bleach moved a bit too slow for me, One Piece was a bit too ridiculous (though there were some great characters in there) and Naruto... I never touched it again after I turned on Cartoon Network and saw the Sexy Juitsu.

I guess I knew some of these were the most popular thanks to me going to Comic/Anime/Sci-Fi Conventions and see all the cosplays based on those series.

I want to add, I have no problem with anyone who like the three series listed in the poll. I once had a huge argument in line at Megacon where one of my friends going "Look at all these Naruto cosplayers... anime fans were better five years ago."

I told him... loudly... that at one point we were the same as them, watching only what was on TV and what was popular. Just because what we watched and liked was different than the rest didn't make them wrong, or us right. It just meant we had different opinions.

He got extremely sheepish and stayed quiet for the rest of the line wait. Apparently he started bitching about the "kiddies and Naruto" an hour later but he never did it in front of me again.

Those big 3 aren't so big anymore. People should keep up to date. Bleach is practically flopping by now. In reality, the "Big 3" phenomenon is more of a marketing ploy than actual fact. The popularity charts are fluctuating constantly.

That said, One Piece is ridiculously popular world-wide and is the unconditional titan of manga. Personally I'm sick of One Piece, I gave up after the Fishman Island arc.

I don't understand hate for Naruto and Bleach. They are the only animes I have watched 200+ episodes of. I gave up on Bleach but still think the Espada are badass and I'm waiting for some free time to catch up on Naruto. I also started watching Code Geass and Hellsing.

Hellsing is by far the best anime I've watched however but on the list I'd give it to Naruto.

shrekfan246:
I didn't realize there was a Big 3... in fact, I always thought Pokemon and Dragonball Z were more popular than those among kids/teenagers... oh god, has it really been that long since those were big shows?

The only Anime I've ever really watched has been Pokemon, Dragonball, Digimon, and Yu-Gi-Oh, so I suppose my opinion doesn't mean much in this thread. Also, people who actually watch Anime scoff at me because I've only ever seen terrible ones.

yeah, i was thinking its going to be pokemon dragon ball and naruto. turns out it wasnt.
frankly, i truied watching naruto, the scene opened with naruto shouting and jumping on (i kid you not) giant meatballs falling from space. yeah, thats where my narute experience ended. i gave it no chance. i always hated pokemon. Digimon ftw!

Well I like One Piece and Bleach at pretty much the same level but for the purpose of this thread I choose One Piece because my friend would kill me if I said anything other then One Piece.

Thought I think Dragon Ball Z should be on this list.

All three are kind of crappy, anime wise, too much damn FILLER.

Bleach, I think, is the worst of the bunch.
It just gets RETARDED.

One Piece is next.
The art STYLE is off putting, but at least it TRIES.

Naruto is probably the most ANNOYING.
But that has more to do with the main cast being largely annoying.

Personally, I'd rather watch something from the late 90s/early 00s.
Escaflowne, Wolf's Rain, Cowboy Bebop, Turn-A Gundam, Irresponsible Captian Tyler, etc.

But, hey, at least they aren't K-On.
UCK!

I...I have no idea what you are talking about...

Those are the BIG three, with a special shout out to Kimba the White Lion...

Considering that I still consider DBZ to be the gateway from which I got into Anime Im very surprised that its not in the top 3. Naruto and bleach both Have waaay to much filler in them for me to consider them to be top anything.

I have never seen Naruto or One Piece, and have only seen the first episode of Bleach and did not like it.

I don't like polls with joke options in general, but when you don't even have a logical response such as "None of the above" then what's the point of even having a poll in the first place?

Broderick:

Barciad:

Also I agree with this person, crest of the stars and banner of the stars is awesome. Gotta love space elves!

Neo-Fascistic yet impeccably polite Space Elves would be a more accurate description. Interstellar Totalitarianism never seemed so agreeable!

Lancer873:

xplosive59:

etc.

Oh yeah I know, I didn't want to go too in depth with the list but on my own list I have Outlaw Star, Berzerk and GitS listed under "2nd tier 90's critically successful anime" as none of them (apart from GitS which came close as a franchise) reached the same level of popularity as NGE, Trigun or Bebop but were still successful series in their own right. For the 80's I had Fist of The North Star, Macross and Legend of The Galactic Heroes as Critically successful and Dragonball, Doraemon and Voltron as commercially successful animes.

I haven't seen any of these three shows, mostly because I've been too busy watching shorter, better series' that actually seem to go places with their stories and don't have a chance to alienate their fans.

But MY big 3 are: Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex, and Fullmetal Alchemist (Brotherhood could be included with this if you want).

As far as new-er-ish series are concerned... my favorite would have to be either Stein's Gate, or Ergo Proxy.

Since I've only watched One Piece, I have to default to that answer. With good reason though, because any story that lasts as long as any of those 3 animes have, there has to be a reason for the audience to keep watching. As I understand Bleach and Naruto, some serious shit goes down, and the protagonists have to take care of it. The problem is that when the show lasts as long as it has, the audience gets tired of the heroes constantly not reaching their goal, or having the goal constantly moved further and further away. One Piece has the advantage of not really being about anything other than being the best in the world, so that goal can take as long as it needs to and be put on the back burner whenever something else comes along to distract the crew. As long as those side plots get resolved in a timely manner, the show can go on forever and not get stale. It's not about the goal, just the adventure.

While I haven't watched Naruto or Bleach, my first anime was Inuyasha, so I got to see what the constantly moving goal plot arc looked like first hand and it's not a pretty thing. Others who have watched them have told me that Naruto and Bleach fall into the same traps.

There is only ONE story arc in Bleach which I genuinely enjoyed, and that was the one where all of the Zanpatou materialized outside of their swords. That arc went on as a serious story for a while where the Zanpatou were evil, then had a series of enjoyable fillers where the Zanpatou were good. The rest of the series just has too many fillers and bad character development though...

Naruto annoys the living FUCK out of me for 3 reasons. The first is that they are wizards, not ninjas. In fact, the only ninjas in the series who I think are actually ninjas are Neji (I think his name is, the smart one with shadows), and Rock Lee, and he's not even a ninja, he's just a generic martial artist akin to Bruce Lee.

The second is that it has SO MANY BORING FILLERS similar to Bleach and One Piece. They're hardly ever even good. I'd much prefer to watch Bleach's fillers where they SOMETIMES provide lighthearted comedy with a nice slice of life style representation.

The third is that they JUST DON'T STOP EXPLAINING EVERYTHING. God, one example of this is when a group of the characters walk past a puddle, and a ninja jumps out of it. Kakashi then spends about half of the episode explaining that he knew there was a ninja there because the puddle was there when it hadn't rained in days. WE UNDERSTAND HOW EVAPORATION WORKS!

One Piece is a decent setting, however it just falls into the same trap as Naruto. Luffy also starts to betray his character when he begins acting really serious.

Out of those 3... I have to say... I enjoy Pokemon the best, and that's for nostalgia reasons above all else.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked