Landmark!

I may never be able to make one of those 20k post threads but this is my equivalent, I just received the landmark badge.

Jealous, much?
It even says "wow" at the end, I've done something wow-worthy.

Anyway, 36 months is a long time to pour into a forum and that's only after I started posting regularly. A lot has changed but you are all still both wonderful and horrible people. I remember when I started posting here and being scared of posting my opinion in case people thought I was stupid, now I no longer worry about it but I'm sure many people still think I'm stupid!

The Escapist has gone through many phases, both exciting (2010 march mayhem) and boring (zombie apocalypse threads) but it's the only forum that has held my attention for this long. I've looked elsewhere during temporary periods of boredom, as I'm sure most of you have, but I always end up back in off-topic.

I love you all, you mad bastards.

Anyway, discussion value, what is your favourite memory of The Escapist? The times that make you think 'this is what keeps me coming back here'.

TopazFusion:

Whether they be about menstrual blood, a naked girl with a tail, or inflation fetishes, the reactions of people in those threads never fail to give me a good laugh.

Oh my...

Anyway congrats to you Colour-Scientist!
My fondest memory of the Escapist was probably joining, that was pretty fun, haven't exactly been here long enough to make any other memory.

Colour-Scientist:
snip

What a coincidence, I just got that badge too. We're connected now, It's like being born[1] on the same day...
Okay maybe not.

OT: The random (good) reactions from the community that result in an entire thread being filled with absolute insanity. See pretty much every thread with the title of "Please Ignore", there was a thread the other day that got derailed into pictures of bunnies.

It's also fun when the staff joins in on the insanity; you can only fight the tide for so long.

[1] Spelling correction from "Boring" That's what I get for posting at 7:30 in the morning.

If you really want to get to 20k I suggest being a bit more active in the chats of one of those user groups you're a member of. Hanging out with the Brovengers has been some of my favorite memories.

Also, where is this 'wow' you're referring to?

Gratz! I too just got the badge last night! We are officially better than everyone else!

I got the badge today too...

Something is afoot...

Are we the chosen?

Daystar Clarion:

Something is afoot...

Are we the chosen?

Ewww, you got the badge now, Daystar?
Ugh, take mine away, I don't want it anymore! Daystar has it as well, it is impure!

OT: Favourite memories of the Escapist... not sure. Some of the people I've met have good memories attached, but otherwise... maybe some of the RPs I took part in. Those were fun. I should start one using ideas I've been toying with on other sites...

Katherine Kerensky:

Daystar Clarion:

Something is afoot...

Are we the chosen?

Ewww, you got the badge now, Daystar?
Ugh, take mine away, I don't want it anymore! Daystar has it as well, it is impure!

OT: Favourite memories of the Escapist... not sure. Some of the people I've met have good memories attached, but otherwise... maybe some of the RPs I took part in. Those were fun. I should start one using ideas I've been toying with on other sites...

Anyone ever tell you how tsundere you possibly are?

We all know how much you love me.

Daystar Clarion:
-Snip-

Shhh, don't tell everyone, it's meant to be a secret.
I mean... feth you! Cry some more, Daystar. I hope you like Beiber.
/innocent.

Oh, and grudgingly on topic... some good memories from this site are from my bickering with Daystar and his cronies >.>

You know, I completely forgot I had this badge, despite it being under my name. I feel privileged now! =D

I guess my fondest memories are those threads that are just rife with laughter, be it an incredibly silly topic or a flamewar defused by Nathan Filion GIFs and 60s Spiderman. Or perhaps just getting quoted and being noticed.

I'm not lonely. *sob*

Colour-Scientist:

Anyway, 36 months

Unless I am completely in the wrong I'll get that same badge in about 2 - 4 months

Congratz! I also am going to make a thread about it and dedicate it to a few persons whom made a thread about it, about 5 months ago :)

I guess reading all the strange stories people have to share here is a wonderful thing :)

Melon Hunter:
You know, I completely forgot I had this badge, despite it being under my name. I feel privileged now! =D

I guess my fondest memories are those threads that are just rife with laughter, be it an incredibly silly topic or a flamewar defused by Nathan Filion GIFs and 60s Spiderman. Or perhaps just getting quoted and being noticed.

I'm not lonely. *sob*

Oh darn. I was hoping I was gonna have the badge with the lowest post count. Yeah gratz kids!

Katherine Kerensky:

Daystar Clarion:
-Snip-

/innocent.

Oh, and grudgingly on topic... some good memories from this site are from my bickering with Daystar and his cronies >.>

I liked the time when you assumed my persona XD

Landmark eh? Does this mean we can drill a blue plaque to your face?

Not jealous.

I got my regular badge today! I am a long way off from the landmark badge, but I'll get it someday!

The Diabolical Biz:

Melon Hunter:

I'm not lonely. *sob*

Oh darn. I was hoping I was gonna have the badge with the lowest post count. Yeah gratz kids!

Yeah, I'm like a Galapagos tortoise. I may be slow moving, but boy, I stick around a long time. Actually, it is rather disturbing just how long I've been a member of these forums...

Melon Hunter:

The Diabolical Biz:

Melon Hunter:

I'm not lonely. *sob*

Yeah, I'm like a Galapagos tortoise. I may be slow moving, but boy, I stick around a long time. Actually, it is rather disturbing just how long I've been a member of these forums...

Just over a month than me. I know the feeling. I wouldn't call it lurking, but...

The Diabolical Biz:

Melon Hunter:

The Diabolical Biz:

Just over a month than me. I know the feeling. I wouldn't call it lurking, but...

...we pick our words carefully! We're like wise forum sensei - younger members run in to give their opinion without thought, while we stay back and assess. If you need me, I'll be over here, attempting to balance cross-legged on a walking stick. I think that's what wise old sensei are supposed to do.

I have some fond memories of March Mayhem, particularly Blizzard vs Relic and Zynga vs Valve.

Melon Hunter:

The Diabolical Biz:

Melon Hunter:

...we pick our words carefully! We're like wise forum sensei - younger members run in to give their opinion without thought, while we stay back and assess. If you need me, I'll be over here, attempting to balance cross-legged on a walking stick. I think that's what wise old sensei are supposed to do.

Yes! Exactly! I can remember countless occasions upon which I've stopped a raging forum inferno with but a carefully placed word.

Please don't check my posting history..

Damn young people!
Back in my day, the Landmark badge was something to be proud of! Now they just give it out like candy.
*Grumble grumble*
*Shakes cane*

Probably the very topical nature of the forums is what keeps me coming back. The strikers to my memory so far was the extra credits fiasco, the Mass Effect 3 ending fiasco and, well, just any of the monthly fiascos that occur on this site.

It wouldn't be The Escapist if there isn't a fiasco or controversial subject to talk about!

Closest thing I was excited about in terms of a landmark was hitting 50 pages on my webcomic, didn't even realize when that happened so I had to whip up a graphic to show my excitement and thanks, fun day, congrats to you too.

Best memory here? Honestly, the rare time when someone quotes me agreeing with me is awesome vs misinterpreting what I say/taking offense to me disagreeing with an opinion and giving me an nonsense about it.

Well, I have many fond memories of t'Scapist but my personal favourite is of a man posting a story about going to the hospital after putting shampoo in his dick. Or possibly tricking people into googling "tenting"... Or maybe the 5 "cages" of a certain thread... So many memories...

Katherine Kerensky:

Daystar Clarion:
-Snip-

/innocent.

It appears you have Biebered me...

Tsundere.

Such a tsundere.

Daystar Clarion:

Something is afoot...

Are we the chosen?

That is almost a haiku.
If you change the the first and second lines to
"I got the badge to-
-day too, something is afoot..."
Then it works.

OT: My favorite memories are probably from all the goofy, kinda dumb threads I made way back when. "Huge Erections" was a fun one.

Either getting my Landmark badge or my Neo badge.

Or whenever somebody recommended me something really good, be it manga, music or movies. Or, alliteration aside, webcomics.

Or whenever I get to use my catchphrase "One word: Batman."

No, wait: It was the time I recommended 20th century boys to FargoDog and he became a fan of it.

Didn't even remember such a badge existed and even more surprised that I would have it.

My memory is a bit hazy, but I vaguely remember most of the larger events and posting trends that came about during my time here. Though I can't really say I had much to do with any of them since my posting habits have always been erratic to say the least.

Daystar Clarion:

Something is afoot...

Are we the chosen?

Oh dear, I guess they'll let anyone in these days.

Bloody plebs

Nouw:
I have some fond memories of March Mayhem, particularly Blizzard vs Relic and Zynga vs Valve.

I know I say it all of the time but Zynga vs Valve is my favourite Escapist event.
The beautiful chaos!

Souplex:
Damn young people!
Back in my day, the Landmark badge was something to be proud of! Now they just give it out like candy.
*Grumble grumble*
*Shakes cane*

Back to your cave Soplex. Drop the "u", right? That's what you're always complaining about.

Eclipse Dragon:

Colour-Scientist:
snip

What a coincidence, I just got that badge too. We're connected now, It's like being born[1] on the same day...
Okay maybe not.

OT: The random (good) reactions from the community that result in an entire thread being filled with absolute insanity. See pretty much every thread with the title of "Please Ignore", there was a thread the other day that got derailed into pictures of bunnies.

It's also fun when the staff joins in on the insanity; you can only fight the tide for so long.

I read boring in the notification I got, I thoughts you were being mean!

[1] Spelling correction from "Boring" That's what I get for posting at 7:30 in the morning.

Colour-Scientist:

Nouw:

I know I say it all of the time but Zynga vs Valve is my favourite Escapist event.
The beautiful chaos!

I loved how both devs ended up calling upon their users. Zynga rewarded people through Farmville, I believe, for voting. While Valve didn't quite give out hats for voting for them, I remember them making an announcement on the Steam news page. With a sudden boost of randoms, it really was brilliant. I wonder if the Escapist have them archived somewhere, it'd probably be hilarious to read.

Well, congrats! Had it for some time now, though I suppose I'm just an old-timer around here.

Can't really think of any particular favourite moments. The Escapist is my favourite website and also my happy place.

:D

Colour-Scientist:

Souplex:
Damn young people!
*Grumble grumble*
*Shakes cane*

Back to your cave Soplex. Drop the "u", right? That's what you're always complaining about.

Incorrect.
I ask for proper spelling. Dropping the U just happens to be the requirement for you to spell "Color" properly.
"Souplex" isn't a word. "Suplex" is a word. In this case, if you wish to correct the spelling, you drop the O.
All I want for you to do, is to spell things correctly.
Captcha: mumbo jumbo

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked