Hey that song totally sounds like -blank-!

So here's something I found while catching up on MLP S3 (DON'T WORRY IT'S NOT A PONY THREAD).

I was just watching Apple Family Reunion, and the musical number came in:

For some reason, I couldn't help but think that the chords went with another song...

If you aren't hearing it, listen to an instrumental of "Pursuit" and sing the lyrics to "Raise This Barn". Same lyrical structure. Weird.

TL;DR: Have you ever heard a song and realized that it sounded just like another?

I remember hearing Marina And The Diamonds on the radio not too long ago, and thinking the chorus of her single reminded me of something. Then it hit me. It's basically the Lightning Seeds, with a club beat stuck underneath. The chorus is almost identical, down to the arrangement.

Part of the problem is that uncredited sampling is not becoming more and more normal amongst mainstream musicians. So if you think it sounds like a modern artist ripped off an older one, chances are they probably did. Kanye West's song Power is built around a sample taken from 21st Century Schizoid Man by king Crimson. Robert Fripp, the founding member and leader of King Crimson, only heard about it when the song had already reached a million views on Youtube. That's how shitty it is. He's pretty much quit the music business as a result, as he's fed up of getting ripped off.

/thread

The opening to this song:

Brainstorm - For The Love Of Money

And the opening to this one:

Stratovarius - Legions

As soon as I heard this track start playing it instantly sounded familiar (specifically 0:00 - 0:51).

However, I can't quite seem to remember where I heard it.

It once occurred to me that these two songs sounded very similar:

The problem was that I realised this in the queue for a club, and when I tried to explain this to my friends with much awkward articulation, waving of arms and me singing "Woooaaaaahhheeeeehhhhoooohhhheeehhhooohhhhhhh, mysterious girl! I wanna have sex! On the beach!". The net result was about two dozen people staring at me as though I'd lost my mind.

ChupathingyX:
As soon as I heard this track start playing it instantly sounded familiar (specifically 0:00 - 0:51).

However, I can't quite seem to remember where I heard it.

I think it sounds a but like the FFVIII main battle theme.

edit: oops, I mean 7.

Well, the newest EP by Blink-182 sounds a bit like what you'd get if you smashed together 2003-era Blink-182, Boxcar Racer, Angels & Airwaves, and +44 all together into one band (which really should make sense since they're all the same three guys).

You can hear a lot of influence from A&A/Blink on the first song, +44/Blink on the second song, Boxcar Racer/A&A on the third song, Boxcar Racer on the fourth song, and all of them on the fifth song.

In particular though, the opening for "Dogs Eating Dogs", the song, sounds a lot like the opening for "Lycanthrope" by +44.

This is my jam, sort of. I hear different songs in different songs all the time. Check dis shit out:

I think I have the gist of what this post meant, hopefully.

I love me some sabaton, but it sounds like they were ripping off Savatage here. granted, the end result is awesome.

SciMal:

/thread

Goddamnit, somebody got to it before I did! Although you may want to add slightly more to your post, so you don't get an infraction.

I should post an example myself.

Marble Zone from Sonic 1 sounds like Andy Williams "Music To Watch Girls By"

Ever since I noticed it, I can't unhear it!

Also, apparently Sonic has a tendency to do this, as apparently much of the Sonic 3 soundtrack sounds a lot like some of Michael Jackson's songs, possibly because he was rumoured (I don't think it's confirmed anyway) that he worked with SEGA on it.

Love Is What I Got sounds an awful lot like Lady Madonna.

Personally I prefer the Beatles

Everything's Magic by Angels & Airwaves sounds like Anthem Part Two by Blink-182.

Tom DeLonge was probably just ''inspired'' by his old band :P

[insert Nickelback song] sounds an awful lot like [insert Nickelback song]

Who couldn't hear Marilyn Manson's The Beautiful People:

in Lordi's Dr. Sin Is In:

As a musician, I should say that there are a really, really limited number of chord patterns for a song, although they can be played in different keys. This means that there are a limited amount of ideas that are new before eventually every song that is written will basically be a copy of another song.

Some of Lady Gaga's songs, not sure which, sound a lot like the main verses of "Come Together" by The Beatles

Dangit2019:

TL;DR: Have you ever heard a song and realized that it sounded just like another?

Why yes, yes I have. Ever listened to Numb by Lincoln Park? You've just listened to like 10 of their other songs then. Maybe not the same melody but it has an almost identical structure and chord progressions to some of the others.

Well, the beginning of the Hangar theme from Doom sounds a lot like several other completely unrelated metal songs.

Also, the main theme of Frogger 2: Swampy's Revenge sounds like the invincibility theme from the Mario series.

And I'm sure I'm not the only one who's noticed that Crisis City from Sonic vs. Murphy's Law sounds like Bob-Omb Battlefield from Super Mario 64.

And of course we all know that Gruntilda's theme from Banjo-Kazooie sounds like The Teddy Bear's Picnic. That, we know, was intentional.

Metal seems to have a lot of these. Compare:

All use pretty much the exact same riff. :D

I booted up BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger for the first time and I was SURE I had heard the opening before... It was driving me crazy.

Then I realised... It's time to DUNK!

Weird how the unoffical LoL theme tune is a BB remix.

Hakumen is a nooblord
Nooblord
Nooblord
Nooblord
Nooblord
Nooblord
Nooblord

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked