Scare me

I don't tend to get scared by games/movies/books/ect but I want a good horror/thriller. I have yet to get into amnesia even though I own it. I have tried but we have yet to click. So onto the horrors I liked to give you a basis to work from.

Books:
The Hollower, It had a nice feeling of the other, nice levels of tension and I enjoyed the psychological aspect of the book. Gotta love a monster that knows your biggest fear and can change how you perceive the world.

Movies:
The Thing (John Carpenter 1982) Again the feeling of the other/unknown, good tension not knowing who to trust, psychological breakdown of the crew was nice.
Black Swan this was mostly enjoying the breakdown of the character and the tension brought on by the mother being over protective.

Games:
Mostly levels such as the ocean motel level in Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. The inability to fight the monster is a big part. You have to run if you want to live, with creepy little things to play with your mind. I suppose it is also because you are a badass vampire for a few levels then bam your power means nothing fool, run or die.

Anime:
Another was similar to The Thing for me, the not knowing who to trust and the breakdown of the characters as the show went on. It felt a little off with the pacing and did not scare me, but came close to the goal and it defiantly kept me engaged.

Honorable mention to Splice but it was not scary more messed up.

So as you can see this is a short list and I do want to expand upon it. I am looking for something that can hit several of my main points.

-Fear of the other/unknown

-Lack of trust in the group

-More psychological than jump scare, I like my horror to mess with me. Make me question what my/characters senses are telling me.

-I don't have to touch you to hurt you is always good.

-Breakdowns within the cast of character that feels real as overacting/plot convenient stupidity can kill a horror for me.

Thank you for your help.

2fish:

Movies:
The Thing (John Carpenter 1982) Again the feeling of the other/unknown, good tension not knowing who to trust, psychological breakdown of the crew was nice.

Hell fucking yeah. I love John Carpenter's the thing. It's got some of my favorite practical effects I've seen.

2fish:

Anime:
Another was similar to The Thing for me, the not knowing who to trust and the breakdown of the characters as the show went on. It felt a little off with the pacing and did not scare me, but came close to the goal and it defiantly kept me engaged.

I'd recommend Higurashi no naku koro ni (When the Cicadas Cry, or just when they cry). While not scary in a startling kind of way, It's very creepy and has an interesting premise. Not to mention, it has my favorite "from a different character's perspective" arc.

EDIT: If you want fear of the unknown, H.P. Lovecraft practically invented the modern horror genre give his works a try (there are numerous collections of his short stories and they're very good).

You know, that's getting a lot longer than I expected it to, and it's quarter-to-2 in the morning. I could probably continue tomorrow, but I think I'm going to have to stop at this point.

shrekfan246:

You know, that's getting a lot longer than I expected it to, and it's quarter-to-2 in the morning. I could probably continue tomorrow, but I think I'm going to have to stop at this point.

That was a fun read. Thanks for putting all that effort into a story just for me. Now that you left it open I have but one line to add. ICE SHARK John screamed.Darn Scalzi and his Redshirts book. He puts things in my head and they never go away.

You're doing yourself a disservice by setting yourself up to be scared; but then again how does one go into horror/suspense with any other mindset? It's a tricky one.

PieBrotherTB:
You're doing yourself a disservice by setting yourself up to be scared; but then again how does one go into horror/suspense with any other mindset? It's a tricky one.

That is where the confusion, lack of trust, and the unknown work their magic. You know this is "scary" but if it can pull you in then that doesn't matter as you focus on the things you don't know rather than the horror label on the story.

You do raise a good point of it makes it harder for horror to work as you are prepared for it, thus why I skip over jump scares and gore scares. I am ready for it, but I may not be ready for the twists in a psychological thriller/horror. My main character has a history with mental illness can I trust what she sees or is none of it real? That self-doubt can work wonders.

PieBrotherTB:

People that like horror usually -want- to be scared.

OT: Play Amnesia. Dark room, headphones, late at night. You will not be disappointed. I know I wasn't.

Ooh, and if you're into reading, try some H.P. Lovecraft. Great, great stories. My personal favorite. If you've never read any of his stories, start with Dagon.

SimpleThunda':

PieBrotherTB:

People that like horror usually -want- to be scared.

OT: Play Amnesia. Dark room, headphones, late at night. You will not be disappointed. I know I wasn't.

Ooh, and if you're into reading, try some H.P. Lovecraft. Great, great stories. My personal favorite. If you've never read any of his stories, start with Dagon.

The Whisperer in Darkness or The Colour Out of Space, I would further recommend.

2fish:
Anime:

There is no way that anime can every be scary without also trying to gross. It doesn't help that most anime nowadays just HAVE to have a marketable cute girl as it's mascot. Anyway I'd recommend Tasogare Otome x Amnesia. It's more of a romcom with a supernatural premise but does have a couple short moments of genuine creepiness (at least if you watch late at night in a dark room by yourself) if you get into it enough. Plus it's just a good show.

Also this (if you haven't seen it before at at least):

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked