7.1% (9)
Marius
4.7% (6)
4.7% (6)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Favorite Roman?

Pages PREV 1 2

No love for Marius?

sure his reforms may have opened the door to Imperium, but the unprecedented standardization of the military really put power in the roman's hands.

And why hasn't anyone mentioned Anonymous? That guy was everywhere, especially Rome. He must have found the sorcerers stone or something since hes been quoted hundreds of years apart.

Rawne1980:
The best Romans EVER....

Damn you ninja! I looked up that very video to use and when I came to post it I saw that I had been beaten to the draw!

Seneca? I like Seneca...and Sir Derek Jacobi.

fenrizz:
My god man, that was the best read I ever had on this site.
I like to think of myself as a Roman history enthusiast, but that was just fucking great.
I applaud you, good Sir, for you insight!

Thankee kindly and y'welcome! You'll find that I am primarily a military historian as opposed to an all round historian, so most of my broader knowledge of the political scene of Rome is a bit lacking (namely, the Gracchi brothers). But, as you can tell, I love me the Second Punic War... :)

A_Parked_Car:
I had a feeling I would find you here.

LOL, yah... home from home! =P

health-bar:
sure his reforms may have opened the door to Imperium, but the unprecedented standardization of the military really put power in the roman's hands.

Yeah, but the problem was that his reforms had to happen within twenty years of that time (whether they were instigated by him or not, though granted, he was the only one with the intelligence and fucking massive balls to do it) or Rome would've been pushed back to the Italian peninsula as the old system (combination of conscription and allocation of service by wealth and volunteers) would be crushed by its own success. However, it would only ever be a good system in the short term. Before, Roman armies were a combination of Roman and allied land-owners (for the most part). They had no vested interest in letting wars drag out as they wanted to go home and make sure their land was still in good shape. That is to say, they displayed loyalty to the Senate, or rather, the city of Rome. Because of the head-count system taking advantage of the discontent felt by the dispossessed, they go to war for a profession and the plunder, so they want wars to last a while so they can accrue a bit of a fortune, thus, their loyalty is to the general that brings them teh moneez. And with ambitious generals across the empire, it's always going to come to a head when the Senate tries to curtail said ambition.

I personally think that Africanus' system (of which we only had a fleeting glance at in Sicily) was the ideal compromise. Maintain the yearly levy, but any field forces required for overseas war efforts can be supplemented by separating the citizens into two: those who can legitimately serve; and those who can't. You want to get off military service? OK, pick a hobo over there, pay for his equipment and training and you can go home. Free army! And since there is also the traditional consular levy, the loyalties of any overseas army is divided and no-one can ultimately use it to their absolute use beyond the political aims dictated by the necessities of the war. Then, the veterans can be settled on the land they conquer and after a while, they won't want to move for anyone.

Gaius Julius Caesar. A great usurper, with true ambition.

Flavius isn't on this list? Horrible poll OP, simply horrible.

Titus Pullo.

Yes I know I'm basing that on a fictionalised version of a man mentioned in passing by Caesar. But to be fair, isn't that pretty much all we have about any Roman?

Publius Quinctilius Varus.
Lost three legions to a combination of Germanic tribes led by Arminius in what was possibly the most decisive Roman defeat in history (Battle of Teutoburg forest).
Committed suicide.
Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori and whatnot.

Edit:
Disregard the previous.

I'm hoping that Tullius up there is Marcus Tullius Cicero.

MacNille:

Trajan is the best one.Hands down.

Well I;m shocked you didn't include Tr.......#Ninja'd
But in all seriousness he probably was the best military leader Post-Republican Rome ever had.

BurnedOutMyEyes:
Lost three legions to a combination of Germanic tribes led by Arminius in what was possibly the most decisive Roman defeat in history (Battle of Teutoburg forest).
Committed suicide.

Hmmm... Paullus & Varro (Cannae), Crassus & Crassus (Carrhae), Mallius & Caepio (Arausio) would like to have words about that... care of Hannibal, Surena & Boiorix & Teutobod... -_-

SecondPrize:

Flavius?! As in Titus Flavius Vespasianus? Uh... to continue being a dick, but which one?!

DovaChiief:
But in all seriousness he probably was the best military leader Post-Republican Rome ever had.

See, I think Trajan was the best civilian leader post-Republican Rome ever had (better than Augustus because of the situation that he inherited). Best military leader can be squabbled over by several others. As far as emperors were concerned, Vespasian and Titus were both better (the former as a strategist the latter as a tactician) (and I'd name others if I knew more than just an inkling of the post-Nervan/Antonian dynasty & the Dominate period) and among the rest, there seems to be a distinct lack of acknowledgement for Germanicus. It is not lightly that the Romans dubbed him 'the Roman Megas Alexander'.

Chrono212:
I like the plastic ones.

It's the loyalty that gets me.

OT: Nero for sheer insanity. And over used name in media.

Dammit, I was gonna name him in the comments. YOU STOLE MY THUNDER! ._.

Can I interject and say I prefer Dumuzid of Uruk? He raised Gilgamesh, after all.
Romans get far too much coverage at the expense of everyone else.

On topic: One more for Scipio Africanus.

Nero wasn't insane... Caligula was. Fucking madman is what he was.

But Trajan was the best. :D

Julian the Apostate. He was the last Pagan Roman emperor and did a lot of work towards restoring the crumbling Roman society.

Then he was killed by a Christian "saint", apparently. 6th Commandment? Hmm. But, of course it's in the name of God, so that makes it okay!

Quaxar:
Who the hell calls Augustus Caesar "Octavian"? This poll is flawed. Still picked him because, well, he found Rome a city of bricks and left it a city of marble.

Eh, I'm not so keen on him since he basically attained his power (in an already existing golden age) by piggybacking off of the recently deceased Caesar's work.

If we may count fictional adaptations, my favorite would have been Conn Iggulden's adaptation of Brutus as Julius Caesar's bro.

But really, Caesar: The most powerful epileptic in history :P

no trajan, no vote

Awwww where's emperor nero? You have to admit, having the balls to just sit there and play fiddle while your city burns, you are either real stupid, or an absolute 'come at me bro' bad ass. Ill go with Julius Ceaser.

hadrian, sure conqeuring is important but he built the borders that lasted

SckizoBoy:

BurnedOutMyEyes:
Committed suicide.

Hmmm... Paullus & Varro (Cannae), Crassus & Crassus (Carrhae), Mallius & Caepio (Arausio) would like to have words about that... care of Hannibal, Surena & Boiorix & Teutobod... -_-

SecondPrize:

Flavius?! As in Titus Flavius Vespasianus? Uh... to continue being a dick, but which one?!

DovaChiief:

See, I think Trajan was the best civilian leader post-Republican Rome ever had (better than Augustus because of the situation that he inherited). Best military leader can be squabbled over by several others. As far as emperors were concerned, Vespasian and Titus were both better (the former as a strategist the latter as a tactician) (and I'd name others if I knew more than just an inkling of the post-Nervan/Antonian dynasty & the Dominate period) and among the rest, there seems to be a distinct lack of acknowledgement for Germanicus. It is not lightly that the Romans dubbed him 'the Roman Megas Alexander'.

I personally think you left out Septimus Severus (who ranks alongside Domitian as one of the best later Emperors), and Agricola. I do agree with you about Germanicus though, just read 'The Twelve Caesars' and was interested by the heartfelt reactions of the people in response to his death (even with Seutonis' mild hyperbole). But I don't think that either Vaspasian or Titus have anything comparable to the conquests of Dacia, the Garmatines, or the near-ruin of the Parthians in Mesopotamia. He faced a wider variety of environments, fighting styles, and diplomatic situations than either of the two. The only thing that kept him from being as well-known as Caesar was him untimely death.

Obviously this guy:

Shut up! I can pick him if I want!

RedDeadFred:
Obviously this guy:

Shut up! I can pick him if I want!

(Pats head) And that's nice son.

VALOCARAPTOR:
hadrian, sure conqeuring is important but he built the borders that lasted

But at the expense of permanently halting all of Rome's renewed military momentum and letting the Parthians rebuild. Sorry, great builder, man of the people, but ultimately the worst possible follow-up to an all-rounder like Trajan.

Why is Caligula not on that list? *troll face*

dagens24:
Why is Caligula not on that list? *troll face*

Yeah i clicked this poll cause i thought caligula. BOO

I'm going to go with the Scipio's,or maybe Tiberius Grachus for his good intentions, and his death by old men

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked