40.1% (212)
40.1% (212)
No
59.7% (316)
59.7% (316)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Do you listen to rap?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Just curious as to whether The Escapist is a fan of rap or not. I used to listen to the odd bit here and there, though I've been getting a bit more into it lately. Mos Def (who apparently goes by a different name now?) and Blue Scholars in particular are personal favourites. Can't seem to get History out of my head lately.

I've also found this Jon Connor guy recently. I've only listened to a couple of songs but I'm really liking him so far.

Not as much as I used to. I don't actively seek rap music out, but when I find some songs that I like I'll download them. The kind of rap I'm exposed to on a regular basis is the kind that usually have materialistic subjects and I don't care for those.

If I had to pick who my favorite rappers are, I'd say Lupe Fiasco and Andre 3000.

I answered yes, even though theres only ONE rap I have ever heard that I like, and it's only half rap. Miracle of Sound- Blood of the Creed.

Only when I'm playing GTA: San Andreas, so I guess that'd be a no.

Some. I don't really like the stuff that's insulting or abusive, just bragging, or rapping about partying.

I really like Andre Nikatina though

If I hear a song and it sounds good, yeah, sure. Rap is something of an art I used to hate, but now I kind of enjoy, especially when it comes from the musicians who do something with the rap form rather then talk about blind excess, which is pretty average in Rap music.

Now, the song "Juicy" by The Notorious BIG did it right, and it's quite a cool song. So, short answer: Sometimes.

Like the other people that have posted already, every now and then.

Lupe Fiasco is really good, and I've always liked Eminem (have to say I prefer his more serious, newer stuff than that whole "Slim Shady" thing though).

I've listened to a few rap-rock bands, like older Linkin Park or Papa Roach, or Hollywood Undead or Reveille.

Vault101 showed me a guy who's pretty damn good, too.

Yes. There's a lot of good stuff, once you wade through the mountains of shite. The same as any other genre of music really.

Nas is probably my favorite.

I used to have a weird stigma against rap when I was younger, as I tried to fit with my friends, who were goths and had a weird theory that rap would immediately turn you into a chav.

But then I listened to some rap and to my surprise, I actually enjoyed it!. So yes, I'd consider myself a fan of rap. Then again, I like most musical genres when they're done well.

No , i don't, but i don't listen to music period. Also i have a feeling that 99% of people on the escapist hates rap and thinks it's "nigga" music , but only a handful would actually admit that.

Yeah, but nearly as much as I listen to metal. The only Rappers I've seen live are immortal technique, lowkey, poisen pen, and some others at immortal's recent Brixton concert.

Personally, I like Immortal Technique, lowkey, tech n9ne, and rage against the machine

Most recently I've been hooked onto Power by Kanye West, beautiful song, and Thriftshop by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis so yes, I do like rap music.

Yes, 98% of the time the lyrics are beyond stupid and ignorant always talking about ether money, drugs, girls, or things that make absolutely no sense. The 1% of rappers rap about hardship and working hard to obtain their goals while trying to stay true to themselves (50 Cent, and Eminem for example). But I sill love those beats...

I personally think it's a God awful form of music that often involves stealing a better musician's work and talking over it. Like an annoying fucker at a cinema talking over the film.

I do, however, appreciate that some of them are freakin' good at what they do. But then again, I remember going to Bunraku and quite frankly being driven insane with boredom. Again, I appreciate the skill of the puppeteers and their mastery of the human-ish movements of the puppets ... but with a fucking terrible story it's still going to bore me shitless. And I think that's the issue for me - the subject matter ain't for me.

Jamie Oliver cooking a turd is still a turd on a plate at the end, no matter how much olive oil is involved.

I go through fazes with my music(for instance, there was a period where I only listened to punk music), I'm mostly a heavy metal/rock kind of a guy but I've listened to a bit of rap over the years.
I like NWA and some of the solo stuff Dr Dre and Ice Cube have done. I also liked some of Eminem's stuff, mostly the Marshal Mathers lp.

Not much. The only rap I listen to on occasion is old school gangster rap, such as N.W.A, Compton's Most Wanted and Snoop Dogg's debut. I find that stuff incredibly fun to listen to, but also nostalgic as my cousin used to play N.W.A's Straight Outta Compton all the time. I haven't really listened to anything past the time of Tupac and Eazy E's deaths though.

The only rapper I personally like is E-Dubble. I'd like to thank StraightUpKnifes for introducing me to him. My favorite song by him is "Drinking With My Headphones On." It's really good, and I highly suggest you listen to it.

I was working on a big compendium of rap/hip hop to post here on the escapist forums. it has tons of songs and brief overviews. but i gave up because it seemed pointless and it started to unravel because of the sheer volume of sub genres and such.

i've always been dismayed by the outright rejection of the genre on many video game sites.

I occasionally listen to George Watsky but that's it.

Mos Def-initely :)

Lecrae is a particular favourite of mine, he's got an amazing flow, but I also like Kanye est, Tinie Tempah, Swoope, Canon, Jay-Z, Common, and No Malice, among others.

Not that much, except for a Dan Le Sac vs Scroobius Pip album (and I do really love that, even though it is a touch pretentious) the only rap I listen to very often are the Slipknot songs that Corey raps in. That said, when I'm drunk I have a habit of putting on classic stuff like Run DMC or NWA. I like it, but it's not really the kind of thing I'm going to walk around listening to. I guess, being a fairly well off British white kid I never really connected with the whole thing like I did with say, metal.

ahh mos def, rap for scared white people.

but nah, does that one time i accidentally clicked on a kid rock song count?

All the time, just nothing on the radio nowadays, I tend to stick to the old school, Wu Tang, Public Enemy, Biggie and Tupac, etc. Today's rap has a serious lack of lyrical content and originality, all of today's rap is about swag and bitches and self glorification, even worse is when you here rappers talk about the thug life and being gangsters, then going to their wiki page and finding out they group up in a suburb in Montana or some shit, which is another huge problem it modern rap, a complete lack of authenticity.

There are exceptions of course, Lupe Fiasco and Kendrick Lamar are pretty damn good, and Nas has recently come out with some new stuff after being pretty absent from the rap game for a while, so I haven't lost hope in the rap of the present and future.

Plus anyone who has ever laughed at a Krispy Kreme video needs to hear this, big suprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3UTzZv8z0Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I answered yes because there is not an option that closely mirrors my true feelings on Rap.

In reality, I don't actively hunt it out. If it's on the radio, I do not turn the channel.

Do Epic rap battles of history count?

If so then yes xD

shrekfan246:

Lupe Fiasco is really good, and I've always liked Eminem (have to say I prefer his more serious, newer stuff than that whole "Slim Shady" thing though).

So, Marshal Mathers? :P

OT: I quite like rap, but I usually listen to those artists who are non-mainstream or defy the mainstream, like Tech N9ne, Hopsin, Eminem, The Beastie Boys, or Tyler the Creator.

I do listen to rap music, only that mine is sorted alphabetically and comes mostly on vinyl. The mainstream rap crap of the past decade I find little joy in or use for.

Here, spot Busta:

I answered yes because i have listened and liked some rap.
But it's not a genre i keep coming back as much as others. I still listen to it from time to time.

No. But then again I dont like most music with lyrics in general, and if I do, it would be good enough without it anyway.

I don't listen to rap. The closest I get to it is Epic Rap Battle of History and one FantomenK song. I'm primarily a metalhead, but I also listen to electric, jazz, swing, classic rock and classical.

Only Adam WarRock

He's done other songs like this for Bastion and Borderlands as well.

rap is spelt with a silent c

that is all

BreakfastMan:

shrekfan246:

So, Marshal Mathers? :P

OT: I quite like rap, but I usually listen to those artists who are non-mainstream or defy the mainstream, like Tech N9ne, Hopsin, Eminem, The Beastie Boys, or Tyler the Creator.

Ahhhh, you're so funny man, you should be a comedian, goddamn!

:P

The Beastie Boys and Tech N9ne are all right too, don't listen to them with any sort of regularity though.

Im mainly a Heavy Metal/Classical kind of guy but abit of Bone Crusher every now and then doesn't hurt.

Say what you will about his personality, Kanye West is a pretty amazing artist. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy was my second favourite album of the decade. Right behind Is This It.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked