40.1% (212)
40.1% (212)
No
59.7% (316)
59.7% (316)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Do you listen to rap?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Yes. I listen to a lot of the more seasoned rappers (i.e. Jay-Z, Eminem, Snoop Dogg, etc.) as well as some of the newer ones (though not technically new, i.e. Kanye West, Pharell, Lupe Fiasco, NAS, etc.).

I listen to a lot of rap and hip-hop. Brother Ali, Atmosphere, Immortal Technique, Busdriver, Jedi Mind Tricks, Aesop Rock, and Cunninlynguists to name a few.

Of course I listen to Hip-hop, if you say a whole genre is shit you are no better than the "Metal sux, listen to Lady Gaga" crowd.

I feel as though Hip-hop is making a resurgance in recent years as there has been quite a few good releases. I dislike Eminem and all that ilk but I do really enjoy the genre.

Well Known but excellent old-skool Hip-hop for those who want to get into the genre...

Who knew? People on the Escapist are not fans of rap. Also, they like heavy metal music because that is the best kind of music ever. There are no blindspots here. We don't understand (c)rap, therefore it is garbage/not music.

Guy who posted the Aesop Rock video: you are awesome.

shrekfan246:

Vault101 showed me a guy who's pretty damn good, too.

oh hey! I didnt notice the credit....thanks!

also
forogt to post some Omar Linx

PunkRex:
Thanks for this, sounds awesome sauce!

It's called Symphonic Metal. Basically, it's a metal band plus an orchestra. The 2 biggest bands are Epica and Nightwish; both of which have tons of albums.

Does this count as rap?

If so then yes, if not than no. I don't mind rapping, but I hate rap. I like some music in my music.

RedDeadFred:
Say what you will about his personality, Kanye West is a pretty amazing artist. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy was my second favourite album of the decade. Right behind Is This It.

Yeah he may be a massive douche but he knows his music. I do like a good amount of rap music but it isn't my favorite genre, most of the artists I like I found through game soundtracks like NBA 2K and GTA.

I owuldn't call it one of my mainstay genres, but lesse..

k-os, Metermaids, Sage Francis, Aesop Rock, Busdriver, Macklemore (check out stuff other then Thrift Shop before dismissing him as a novelty), Greydon Square, Lupe Fiasco, Dope DOD, NASA. Soem of the older style stuff like Beasties, NWA, DMC, Cypress and all that too.

TehCookie:

If so then yes, if not than no. I don't mind rapping, but I hate rap. I like some music in my music.

you dont get to choose what is and isn't music...it is music

Vault101:

TehCookie:

I know, farting can be considered music. I just like mine to have tones, rhythms and beats.

Not as such no. However, Kanye West is making me rethink my opinions on rap. I think I'll just not vote because neither answer accurately reflects my position.

Naa it all sounds the same to me. To me. I want to put an emphasis on that.

NightowlM:
Who knew? People on the Escapist are not fans of rap. Also, they like heavy metal music because that is the best kind of music ever. There are no blindspots here. We don't understand (c)rap, therefore it is garbage/not music.

Guy who posted the Aesop Rock video: you are awesome.

Metal was mentioned 12 time in this thread and you where one of them. I think Classical was mentioned almost as much. Most people that said they didn't like it said just that. They don't like it.

Sometimes.

Most of what I hear is combined with R&B. But there's a few people/songs I enjoy listening to.

TehCookie:

Vault101:

TehCookie:

I know, farting can be considered music. I just like mine to have tones, rhythms and beats.

Rap has all those things. Don't know what you've been listening to, but it's clearly not the same stuff I've been.

I have always been a fan of rap as a genre, but not so much as the subject matters for the most part of current rappers. I've been listening to Professor Green a lot recently, Eminem is pretty good for the most part. I like mc chris, and Outkast. Most "gangster" rap I don't like.

--Edit--
Adding a link to Professor Green

Nope, it's probably due to having it force on me constantly and having a bit of a superiority complex when I was younger, but I was never able to figure out exactly why people liked it.

And now I'm a metalhead that listen's to Blind Guardian and the like, I guess rap just didn't hit the right themes for my tastes.

Lazy:

TehCookie:

Vault101:

Rap has all those things. Don't know what you've been listening to, but it's clearly not the same stuff I've been.

Not all rap, some just have a drum beat and rapping which has no variation in tone.

I dislike hip-hop songs but like good rap songs. If that makes sense. But not too much rap these days. Underground stuff.

Umm. I don;t know, some say it's hip hop, some say its rap.

What do you guys think?

I love Nujabes and Maskinen

And I like 2 Kanye West songs.

I never do. Not my thing.

I'm not ignorant enough to claim it isn't music or that they are all garbage musicians though. As a musician myself, I've taken a couple of somewhat in-depth looks at guys like Kayne and there is some incredible talent there.

But I still don't like it :P

Seriously, you guys. This thread was painful to read. Like, literally painful. I actually felt pain. I think I'm going to start posting my album reviews here because, really, no other forum needs my perspective as badly as you guys do. And don't give me that "subjectivity" crap, that's only going to make things worse.

In the meantime I'm going to enjoy some intelligent, provocative, original, diverse, lyrical and endlessly fascinating music over here. If anyone would like to join me take some steel wool to these ridiculous, poorly supported biases and wait for my reviews.

CrunkParty:
snip

ahh you reviw albums?

that explains so much...

sooo...liiike...what rap do you like?

Vault101:

CrunkParty:
snip

ahh you reviw albums?

that explains so much...

sooo...liiike...what rap do you like?

Genres, artists, albums, tracks? Work with me.

No, I listen to Hip-Hop you filthy heretic.

Kanye, Death Grips, Action Bronson, Lamar, Wu Tang, among others.

CrunkParty:

Genres, artists, albums, tracks? Work with me.

tracks...keeping it simple

This thread implies that anyone looking upon it has been a fan but now may or may not be a fan, a better title would have probably been "Has anyone here liked Rap music and do you still listen to it."

Putting that the side I can happily say that I've liked Rap music. It's the entire 'Rapper life style' that puts me off the music. The actual people behind it are assholes really.. and don't even get me started on some of lyrics.

What do I listen to?

J-pop, trance, metal, orchestral, backing music (from video games and Movies) and some other stuff that I can't think what category they would fit into right now.

Vault101:
tracks...keeping it simple

Damn, I'm much better with albums. Here are just a selection of random recent tracks I enjoy, not "best ever" or anything.

It's probably the only type of music (truth be told I wouldn't even put it in category "music") that I despise and can't listen to at all. It just flips hate switch in my brain. Can't stand it.

Smolderin:
Only when it is mixed in with Rock music, and only when it is done right. Other than that, I have a bit of a hatred for stereotypical rap, mainly because of the subject matter most rap I have seen deal in. Granted I am sure there are some respectable rap artists out there, but your not sending a good message about your genre of music when all the mainstream stuff is talking about drugs, and slapping women. And yes I know other genres of music do that to but from what I have seen, Rap more-so.

Because it's the genre's fault that shitty pop-rappers appeal to people who listen to the charts?

cikame:
Can't stand the culture, egotistic lyrics and lack of creativity in the music, which is usually just a beat on repeat.
The only rap i like is Limb Bizkit,

Sorry but lol. Limp Bizkit have some of the worst lyrics and least amounts of creativity in the entire genre.

TehCookie:

I don't mind rapping, but I hate rap.

huh??
they're exactly the same thing..

AnarchistFish:

Because it's the genre's fault that shitty pop-rappers appeal to people who listen to the charts?

I don't see any argument here. I dislike rap music for the most part because of it's mainstream subject matter and quite honestly the culture that surrounds it. There is only so many times you can try to go to sleep at the night only to be woken up by posers that spent thousands of dollars on car speakers, who insist they keep blasting some song where a barely speaking english male repeats the phrase "bitches and ho's" at least 5 times. No thank you, not for me. How the genre ends up decaying itself is it's own business, but I sure as hell am not jumping on that particular bandwagon.

I feel like there should have been an "occasionally" option in the poll, I do listen to rap on occasion but not enough to definitely say yes.

Smolderin:

AnarchistFish:

I don't see any argument here. I dislike rap music for the most part because of it's mainstream subject matter and quite honestly the culture that surrounds it. There is only so many times you can try to go to sleep at the night only to be woken up by posers that spent thousands of dollars on car speakers, who insist they keep blasting some song where a barely speaking english male repeats the phrase "bitches and ho's" at least 5 times. No thank you, not for me. How the genre ends up decaying itself is it's own business, but I sure as hell am not jumping on that particular bandwagon.

It's as if you think the genre is somehow in some kind of crisis or something. That's not the culture there is when you look beyond the mainstream rappers and that kind of hip hop is thriving on its own terms. You can't dismiss it because of its relation to the other side of the genre. Otherwise you could pretty much dismiss all music because all genres' mainstream forms are watered down, less interesting and generally worse.

AnarchistFish:

Smolderin:

AnarchistFish:

It's as if you think the genre is somehow in some kind of crisis or something. That's not the culture there is when you look beyond the mainstream rappers and that kind of hip hop is thriving on its own terms. You can't dismiss it because of its relation to the other side of the genre. Otherwise you could pretty much dismiss all music because all genres' mainstream forms are watered down, less interesting and generally worse.

It doesn't matter what I think, It was one example in a long list of other reasons why I do not like the music, and the culture it creates. Are you somehow perpetuating that I give rap another chance? I gave it plenty of chances back in my school days, in fact Rap is the first genre of music I used to admire until I actually started to listen to it. I went from Dem Franchise Boyz to other lesser known artists and no matter who I listened to, Rap didn't do anything for me. Over the years I just found more and more reasons to keep clear of Rap, so eventually I moved on to other genres, and from what I have seen, nothing much has changed since then. No thanks, I'll keep to my Rock music

mitchell271:

PunkRex:
Thanks for this, sounds awesome sauce!

It's called Symphonic Metal. Basically, it's a metal band plus an orchestra. The 2 biggest bands are Epica and Nightwish; both of which have tons of albums.

Ive listened to Nightwish before, I don't get why so many hate them... this is always what I thought Evanescence should have sounded like.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked