No
59.7% (316)
59.7% (316)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Do you listen to rap?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Eddie the head:

RhombusHatesYou:
ITT: Metalheads spout the same 'ignorant shit' they're always crying about people who don't like metal are "always making".

HTFU, princesses.

This is a simple case of Confirmation Bias you want to see people who don't like the same things as you as being ignorant of it.

Interesting logic there, bunkie.

I didn't accuse people of being ignorant, I accused them of being the hypocrits they are.

Come back again when you have a real argument.

there might be the odd song i might like, but for the most part no, i prefer rock and the like

Eddie the head:
It's not that rap is optimistic and Rock is pessimistic and somehow you where "enlightened" to understand things more.

I never claimed to be "enlightened". You need to read my post again, because obviously you didn't understand it. At no point did I ever say that liking rap is superior to liking rock. I said that part of the reason someone might like one genre over the other may be the underlying message that's frequently present in the music, which is a coping mechanism for where one is at that stage in their life.

No your brain just stared noticing X more then it did Y. You started caring about the Beat more then the rift, you stared caring about the story the guy was telling rather then the way he was telling it.

Yeah, sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about here.

For one thing, both me and my friend maintained a love of classical music through this transition, so it's irrational to suggest we developed a particular love of "the beat".

Don't misinterpret my post. It was not an attack on people who like rock, so you don't need to defensively re-interpret it or invent aspects of the narrative that aren't there.

I like rap. If it has a good beat and flowing rhyme anyway. Which means that I'm not fond of half the rappers currently on air, but then I don't really care about that. I don't listen to rap to hear about which 'niggas' got shot or what'll happen if I disagree with the rapper's opinion, but I do find entertainment in a good rap. I also like rock and metal and all that. My YouTube history is often a mix of Eminem, Ludacris, Kanye West, Rob Zombie, Zeromancer, Metallica, and sometimes I like to blur the line and just listen to Hollywood Undead. A lot.

Broken Blade:
Nope. I can't stand rap, and I've had friends who called me out for not giving it a try. And then I tell them I've been trying to find rap I like for fifteen years, and it hasn't worked. And then they shut up. I've actually found songs I would love if the rap wasn't in it (Coming Home and Libera Me From Hell spring to immediate mind).

...The rap MADE Libera Me From Hell. It'd be boring as shit otherwise.

TehCookie:

AnarchistFish:

TehCookie:

So you realize rapping and the genre rap aren't the same thing?

They are. Rap isn't a genre in itself and if you're talking about rap it's just music with rapping in it. Hip hop is a genre. But hip hop doesn't need rapping to be hip hop.

Hip hop doesn't need rapping to be hip hop, which is why people say rap to referring to rapping hip hop, which is a more specific genre. Which is why people specify when it's not hip hop, as you shown above with rap rock.

Rap rock is a hybrid genre of hip hop and rock.

I'm still unsure what you think the difference is between rapping and rap.

Katatori-kun:
snip

Yeah you don't notice it because it's subconscious, I was making examples. Those might not even be the reason you like it more. But it is simply you brain changed not you got an more optimistic look on life and rap is more optimistic. And even if it was (I don't know about that you ever heard an AC/DC song 90% of them are about having fun) this would be a case where you assume correlation equals causation. You and your friend both moved out of your small town and became more optimistic, at the same time you both stated liking rap more. You are searching for links where none necessarily existent's. If this was a common trend you might have a point, but it's not. Your sample size is two, I'm not even sure a reasonable hypothesis can be based on that small of a sample.

Also I don't really need to "defensively re-interpret it" you entire point is condescending. If you didn't notice that, hay your entire point is condescending. The attributes you where paining Rock with had generally negative connotations attached to them. On the flip side the attributes you where painting rap with had generally positive connotations behind them. You literally never stated superiority, but your entire point relies on one being superior in some respects. I mean I don't know anyone who would apply positive feelings to pessimism, and a negative feelings to optimism.

RhombusHatesYou:
snip

It's hard to find a comeback to that. I mean it's a Straw man so I don't need to. I just need to reiterate what I already said. Most people who have said that they don't like it have said just that, that they don't like it.

AnarchistFish:

TehCookie:

AnarchistFish:

They are. Rap isn't a genre in itself and if you're talking about rap it's just music with rapping in it. Hip hop is a genre. But hip hop doesn't need rapping to be hip hop.

Hip hop doesn't need rapping to be hip hop, which is why people say rap to referring to rapping hip hop, which is a more specific genre. Which is why people specify when it's not hip hop, as you shown above with rap rock.

Rap rock is a hybrid genre of hip hop and rock.

I'm still unsure what you think the difference is between rapping and rap.

Then you are extremely dense and I can't help you.

Nope...I really don't like rap. Although, I don't hate it as much as I used to(I can tolerate it if someone else starts listening to it nearby, or if it's in a movie).

Eddie the head:

Katatori-kun:
snip

Yeah you don't notice it because it's subconscious, I was making examples.

Yeah, sorry. I'm not going to buy a complete stranger on the internet trying to tell me what's in my own subconscious as though they know better than I do.

But it is simply you brain changed not you got an more optimistic look on life and rap is more optimistic.

No, that's pretty much exactly what it was. I stopped being a miserable, dour sourpuss (offline anyway) and very soon after found rap/hip-hop to be so much more fun than the miseryguts rock I grew up with. Sorry if you don't like that, but I do know my own mind better than you do.

On the flip side the attributes you where painting rap with had generally positive connotations behind them.

Not necessarily. Just because "bitches and hoes" is code for success in rap doesn't mean that one should actually pursue "bitches and hoes" to prove one is successful, or that having a positive outlook will lead to "bitches and hoes". Likewise, being a miserable, pessimistic sod stuck in a dead-end town doesn't preclude one from achieving success. They are attitudes and coping mechanism, not personality attributes. Again, stop being so defensive.

I mean I don't know anyone who would apply positive feelings to pessimism, and a negative feelings to optimism.

Quite a lot of the most important writers and artists in history have gone through periods of complete misery. Quite a lot of people who are optimistic but who put no effort into achieving anything greater live lives of inane vapidity. Your tribe is not under attack, quit looking for insults.

yes.
There is something wrong if you can't find a rap song you like.
Or a country song,
or a metal song.

mitchell271:
I don't listen to rap. The closest I get to it is Epic Rap Battle of History and one FantomenK song. I'm primarily a metalhead, but I also listen to electric, jazz, swing, classic rock and classical.

I am a massive rap fan but even I have to bow to this sort of metal no of that screaming shit though that's just garbage.

Dangit2019:

Nouw:
Most recently I've been hooked onto Power by Kanye West, beautiful song

Just listen to the album. Seriously, I don't care how much of a douchebag he is, or all the sampling he does, my advice to you is to listen to the rest of My Beautiful Twisted Dark Fantasy. You won't regret it.

I certainly do not. My favourite song so far is Runaway.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked