'Red Wave' Dust Storm Hits Australia

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Not sure how big the storm was, but still...
Australia, you so crazy.
http://www.theatlanticwire.com/global/2013/01/australia-dust-storm-photos/60828/

When I read Stephen King's The Mist (in Skeleton Crew) this is pretty much what I imagined the mist to look like, except not red and quite frankly, not this scary.

Um, help?

Oh okay, here's the original photos:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.476930895681461.99466.269003509807535&type=1

Oh come ON now, that's gotta be shopped!

I don't care what any Australian says about how "safe" their country is, I'm not going to believe them. Ever.

I'm just going to stay here in Vermont, where all I have to worry about is a bunch of snow and the occasional ice storm.

Oh yeah that
Yeah mates that happens every once in a while, Australia, now we can add dust to the list of things that want to kill you!

But in all seriousness it's nothing, just dust :P

That looks beautiful. Imagine being in front of that, staring down a wave of red dust that's so tall and wide you probably couldn't see where it ends. Granted I'd like the wave to be still :P.

Keoul:
Oh yeah that
Yeah mates that happens every once in a while, Australia, now we can add dust to the list of things that want to kill you!

But in all seriousness it's nothing, just dust :P

Nobody seems to handle nature as well as Australia does. Here in Florida the news goes crazy every time there's a storm, even if it's 300 miles away. They'e always "KILLER STORMS". FYI that link I first included also mentioned there's a hurricane on its way towards the North Coast.

Incidentally, I heard something weird about Superstorm Sandy before it hit. My friend in NY told me that the one thing he couldn't find in stores was...toilet paper. When he told me that I was like, "Pfft, amateurs."

A few years back, another big dust storm hit Sydney and the surrounding areas. I woke up and everything has a red haze about it, which was worrying because it looked a lot like how big nearby fires looked (which is a literally awesome sight at night, but not something you want to see too often).

I remember a car that was wet before the storm. You know the desert where it's flat dry ground covered in cracks? The car looked a lot like that.

Also memorable for some guy quoted by the papers as saying he thought he'd been nuked by South Korea.

I didn't even know this was happening until I read this thread. That's how memorable it is.

The rest of the world is like "that's a two-hundred-foot-tall wall of sand!" and Australia is like "whatever"

bastardofmelbourne:
I didn't even know this was happening until I read this thread. That's how memorable it is.

The rest of the world is like "that's a two-hundred-foot-tall wall of sand!" and Australia is like "whatever"

No no! It should be 'whatever'! It should be 'Oh? Well, we've had bigger.' Show your Australian superiority to the rest of us worlders.

Decades ago when I was knee high to a grasshopper I saw a ground level red dust cloud coming across farm fields pushed by an oncoming thunderstorm.

I'd been through 2 hurricanes plus some near hits by tornadoes yet the sight was so...sudden and unusual my 'fight or flight' reflexes darn near kicked in.

Spoiler=I wanted to run.

I'm sure that if the acts predicted in Revelations are carried out, Australia won't notice it due to it resembling casual Tuesday to them.

That is frikkin sweet! Did anyone try to surf it?

I guess it's not leathal?
Either way gee, no offence but you Austrilian can't catch a break. First there is that bushfire still going on and now this.

Holy shit. I always said australia, both due to it's climate and wildlife, was situation somewhere directly above hell, but this is fucking ridiculous.

to be fair what you have there is any middle east desert storm's tiny baby brother. it will not blind you. you can still breath and in 99% of cases you can see far enough in front of you that you can still drive to the pub (high priority in australia)
the only thing impressive about our dust storms is they are red, they are red obviously because our inner deserts have red sand due to higher iron content
also the population in any area where you are likely to see a dust storm is so low that most australians wouldn't consider the casualty rate high even if it was 100% lethal since we usually have more australian fatalities per day due to drop bears and platypuses

the only recent example i can think of where a dust storm caused havoc:

thaluikhain:
A few years back, another big dust storm hit Sydney and the surrounding areas. I woke up and everything has a red haze about it, which was worrying because it looked a lot like how big nearby fires looked (which is a literally awesome sight at night, but not something you want to see too often).

I remember a car that was wet before the storm. You know the desert where it's flat dry ground covered in cracks? The car looked a lot like that.

Also memorable for some guy quoted by the papers as saying he thought he'd been nuked by South Korea.

this happened because freak weather condition brought the usual harmless dust to a densely populated area and chaos ensued
net result? car mechanics made a bit more money by replacing clogged air filters and car washes increased their business 10 fold

the very fact that non australians make any news that isn't about platypuses is what is truly amazing

oh and by the way they have 10 chromosomes

Oh hey, it's Saturday already!

I almost didn't notice.

What, another one of these? Whereabouts? Didn't even know till right now, that's how newsworthy this is to Australians.

In actual news, and Australian Bernard Tomic has won the Sydney International Mens' Tennis! That's what matters to Australians!

Wait I live in Australia (blue mountains) And was watching the news today but all I heard about was the fires,how come this wasn't on the news seriously mate things this big happening to my country and I first hear about it on the escapist!?!

lechat:
)
the only thing impressive about our dust storms is they are red, they are red obviously because our inner deserts have red sand due to higher iron content

The redness is caused by iron in the sand.

The iron comes from the blood of drop-bear victims.

Huge winds form around these blood deserts where the drop bears live, when the drop bears get blown/float up there in those dust clouds they stay up there as long as they can, just waiting to swoop down and catch their next victim so that the cycle can continue.

Locals know all about the danger, but the poor tourists never stand a chance...

Another Australian here being informed by this thread. I remember actually witnessing one of these a couple of years ago sort of, just one morning where I woke upm looked outside and the entire horizon was this awesome red haze that cleared up on the way to work. Those photos are breath taking, but its not a newsworthy thing here for some reason. More like a watercooler topic.

This is happening? Huh, being a suburb dwelling Australian really doesn't inform you of these things. It's really nothing. As a few people have said, the only time where these things have caused trouble was a couple years ago when it invaded Sydney. I got School off for that day. It was good.

Scarim Coral:
I guess it's not leathal?
Either way gee, no offence but you Austrilian can't catch a break. First there is that bushfire still going on and now this.

Actually it's around 200 or so odd fires burning at once.

Some_weirdGuy:

lechat:
)

The redness is caused by iron in the sand.

Huge winds form around these blood deserts where the drop bears live, when the drop bears get blown/float up there in those dust clouds they stay up there as long as they can, just waiting to swoop down and catch their next victim so that the cycle can continue.

Locals know all about the danger, but the poor tourists never stand a chance...

have you not seen the pro tourism ads?
seriously man every australian by now should know not to talk about drop bears in fear of scaring away potential tourists

when i read the title i thought "sweet another huge dust cloud, the last one was sweet"
then i read that it's all the way over in WA, and now im disappointed
i love how sudden changes in weather can affect your day (or week) for better or for worse, (though better is always, well, better)

lechat:
-SNIP- ...We usually have more australian fatalities per day due to drop bears and platypuses

Some_weirdGuy:

I read your posts and was like, what the hell is a 'drop bear'? Is it local slang for ticks? Are the ticks really huge over there? Or is it some other horrible creature that only Aussies know about? Then I looked it up.

I LOL'd.

Clearly, evidence that despite Australian's most fervent arguments, Australia actively hates life (mainly outsider life) and normality between it's weather and it's animals.

Damn dust cloud looks like a wall of blood. O_o

Copper Zen:
Decades ago when I was knee high to a grasshopper I saw a ground level red dust cloud coming across farm fields pushed by an oncoming thunderstorm.

I'd been through 2 hurricanes plus some near hits by tornadoes yet the sight was so...sudden and unusual my 'fight or flight' reflexes darn near kicked in.

Spoiler=I wanted to run.

I'm glad, you have to be a really big idiot to try and punch a dust cloud.

It's like trying to catch an internet in a bottle.

If there was a world map of Earth made in Dwarf Fortress, Australia would be the purple area. They now even got the mist, I just hope this one doesn't turn people into undead.

Ooo, sand storms. Those are always fun. The ones I've been in everything outside looks deep orange and then when you go inside the lights and everything look blue. Like someone slapped a movie filter on reality.

Sorry to spoil the mystique, but tourists are more likely to die from exposure after abandoning a broken down vehicle than be killed by something that will look impressive when carved on a tombstone. Most of our bushland looks like somebody went overboard with the clone tool when placing eucalyptus trees that want to be set on fire. And if you're stuck in the middle of nowhere with only the side of your car for protection from the sun, there is absolutely no guarantee that if you walk in any particular direction that you will find anything other than heat stroke and eventual death.

ShadowsofHope:

Damn dust cloud looks like a wall of blood. O_o

. . . The hell kind of orange-ass blood do you have?

OT:

Did anyone else instantly think of Spec Ops: The Line?

"G'day, mite! Welcome t' Doobai!"

Oh god damn it not again.
Last time this happened I had roughly the following dialogue with my mother:
Me- "Hey Mum, shouldn't we close the window"
Mum- "No, why?"
Me- "Because I'm pretty sure all that orangy-red stuff is a dust storm, I just saw it on the news."
Mum- "Nah, it's not a dust storm, and I'm enjoying the breeze, leave the window open."
Me- "I'm pretty sure it's a dust storm, but alright".

Naturally by the time I got home everything was covered in dust. Silly mother.

lechat:
have you not seen the pro tourism ads?
seriously man every australian by now should know not to talk about drop bears in fear of scaring away potential tourists

FizzyIzze:

lechat:
-SNIP- ...We usually have more australian fatalities per day due to drop bears and platypuses

Some_weirdGuy:

I read your posts and was like, what the hell is a 'drop bear'? Is it local slang for ticks? Are the ticks really huge over there? Or is it some other horrible creature that only Aussies know about? Then I looked it up.

I LOL'd.

You won't be laughing when the drop bears get you. They'll probably send the bush rangers after me for saying this, but I can't ease my conscience on this matter without telling someone out there the truth...

Tourism Australia censors pages like wikipedia and spread other countless web pages circulating the notion that drop bears are a joke just so people won't know the truth. They've been doing it for generations, ever since... 'the big drop'.

You see, if the dropbears aren't getting the blood of the tourists out in Australia's more scenic outback, then they'll start migrating towards the urban area's in search of prey, feasting on the Australian population instead.

That's why the aboriginal people of Australia remained nomads, they could never settle for too long in one place or else the drop bears would get them. England started sending convicts to Australia as a death-sentence after seeing the dropbears in action. Eventually they found out that as long as they keep getting food, the dropbears stay put. We're not getting convicts from england any more obviously, so the government has to find other methods.

You may recall that untill recently Australians dollar has been weaker than the US dollar. Now, on it's own the Ausi dollar is actually worth quite a bit more than it's US counterpart, but the government got into massive dept trying to deal with the drop bears in urban areas.
Some time ago tourism had died down, and the government didn't respect the ferocious drop bears. It had been so long since they had moved that the government of the day thought they would stay there, after all they stayed put through drought, bushfire and flood... maybe they didn't need to keep sending victims in there after all.

They were wrong of course. Driven by their insatiable hunger that was no longer being catered to, the drop bears moved into the towns, and then onto the cities. They'd hang out at the tops of the tallest buildings, and swoop down on commuters and other hapless victims. No one can fight off a drop bear.

The drop bears took a liking to these more densely populated areas. The cost in both money and lives trying to drive away these dropbears back into the outback had a lasting effect on autralia and it's economy, and only now after many generations is our currency finally getting back up to par. In truth it will probably never reach the value it once was... not while the dropbears are still out there, not while tourism australia has to keep spending so much to attract new 'visitors'.

Worst of all, when the rest of the world faces econamic harship tourism begins to slow down. Recently they have been driving campaigns for more 'local tourism' from australian residents. These are dark days inde-

- I am ofcourse, completely joking about everything I just said, cause we australians just love to JOKE like that, about silly JOKES. Australia is a wonderful place, you should come here for a holiday really soon. Right now even.

Sincerely, the Australian you were just talking to and continuing to talk to now.

LordOfInsanity:

No no! It should be 'whatever'! It should be 'Oh? Well, we've had bigger.' Show your Australian superiority to the rest of us worlders.

Heh, if you insist. That's nothing compared to our Fire Tornade from last year. No, seriously, I'm not joking. It actually happened. It's like a frickin' Charizard went on a rampage.

Yes, yet another Aussie here only just hearing about this, via the Escapist.

bastardofmelbourne:

Couldn't stop laughing at this- I could just imagine some sort of dismissive hand wave going on as well...

Lesser know fact about Australia: Mars comes to visit over the winter.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked