Most Underrated TV Series

Pages 1 2 NEXT

What do you think is the most underrated TV series, that deserves more fame?

Personal I have to give it to Archer, overlooked by a lot of people and it's friggin hilarious.

Take my love, take my land, take me where I can not stand...

Well, Firefly isn't underrated, but it's criminal the way this series was treated.

It never stood a goddamn chance.

Is Supernatural underrated? I like in the UK and only know 2 other people that have watched it, but I've watched all of the seasons released to my country and I love it!

'Haunted'. It was pulled after 11 episodes, but it was a lot better than most 'ghost' or 'supernatural' shows around.

Tom_green_day:
Is Supernatural underrated? I like in the UK and only know 2 other people that have watched it, but I've watched all of the seasons released to my country and I love it!

It's actually pretty popular.

I don't know anyone who hasn't seen it.

Rawne1980:

Tom_green_day:

It's actually pretty popular.

I don't know anyone who hasn't seen it.

and i'd say at roughly the point a show reaches season 10 it's fair to see it hasn't failed

Tom_green_day:

I'd say it's pretty popular, not my cup of tea but it's well known.

Flash Forward anyone?

With a premise and a fast moving plot that confuses more than it answers the questions it poses, it got cancelled after one season without anything being answered... so...

*grrr*

I don't know many people who watched it, but Rome was great

Sex, politics and murder during the transition from the Roman Republic to Empire? SWEET!

SckizoBoy:
Flash Forward anyone?

With a premise and a fast moving plot that confuses more than it answers the questions it poses, it got cancelled after one season without anything being answered... so...

*grrr*

Funny, actually, the first I've ever heard of that show was from a fellow Bro the other day. My response was "Huh, I wonder what other show FOX has done that to before."

OT: I don't know if I would say it's underrated, per se, but I have a really hard time finding other people who like Scrubs. It always seems to get responses of "meh" or "I didn't like it therefore it sucks" whenever I bring it up, which disheartens me because it's one of my favorite dramatic comedy shows of all time.

Northern Exposure.

Utterly amazing show. It started out as a daytime sitcom, started bringing in elements of drama, then leapt off the deep end and became a full-on exploration of existentialism. It was one of the most literate shows of its day, quoting everything from Nietzche, to Whitman, to Jung. It was bizarrely surreal, containing dream sequences, fantasy episodes, and moments of outright fourth wall breaking. And it still remains probably the most uplifting, life affirming show you will ever see. Think Twin Peaks, but on happy medication as opposed to anti-depressants.

HBOs Rome. I still can't believe that a show as great as that got cancelled after only two seasons. A shame, they had to squeeze twenty plus years of history into a few episodes.

PsychicTaco115:
I don't know many people who watched it, but Rome was great!

Yes, Rome was my obsession for like a year but I still don't know anyone IRL who watched it. One of the things I liked best was their striving for "authenticity vs. accuracy", meaning even though the events and characters portrayed are not necessarily portrayed accurately according to known history, the world of Rome, many of the incidental details (apart from any time they visit Egypt of course) feel real. You really get a feeling that Rome isn't just a few marble tourist spots (which may not have been built until the end of Octavian's rule anyway) but a living, breathing city filled with all classes of people. I loved all the kooky folk religion scenes, any time working class people were shown doing working class things, and how the writers took pains to adapt the vocabulary while keeping it accessible. For example, Cicero at one point says, "I believe I shall go home and stupefy myself with wine." Now, the natural way to say that in English would be "make myself drunk", but "stupefy" is derived from the Latin stupefacere while "drunk" comes from the Old English druncan which is itself Old Germanic in origin. So by choosing their words carefully, they create a Roman feeling that may not even be noticeable if you aren't a giant language nerd.

I think Babylon 5 is terribly underrated. It wasn't so underrated when it was on TV, though the show's look was far less polished than it's competitor Deep Space Nine, and this maybe led to it having a smaller following despite DS9 having far inferior writing. In fact, B5 should be credited with popularizing the modern trend of making sci-fi tv programs out of connected arcs where stories evolve from episode to episode, rather than how things were done in earlier shows like Star Trek: TNG where largely each episode was unconnected to the ones that come before or after aside from incidental references. But B5's special effects budget makes the show look increasingly dated, and J. Michael Straczynski's glacial pacing in the first season no doubt also puts people off. But it's this pacing that is the show's greatest strength, because it fools us into thinking that the show is going to be an unconnected episodic "fluffy" sci-fi show so on a first time viewing one doesn't notice all the little tendrils of the overall story arc creeping into everything, and then when the show gets rolling in seasons 2-4 it's hard to comprehend how you missed just how tight the show really was. It's like watching a dropped vase shatter on the floor in reverse- all these little disparate, unrecognizeabe pieces suddenly coalesce into a unified whole. It's only in the end of the 4th season and the beginning of the 5th season, when the show's pacing got all screwed up because JMS had to cram all the key plot points into the 4th season because he was unsure if the show would get renewed for a 5th that this recipe begins to unravel. And unfortunately I think at that point JMS started to get a bit of an ego, and subsequent works in the franchise like the spinoffs and the Crusade just haven't been as up to quality. So it's too bad that so many people don't like his magnum opus because they can't get past the bad CGI or an episode where nothing blows up in the first 5 minutes. I would almost say that this make B5 a rare show that remaking could potentially improve it- the only problem is that I believe that the real magic that made the show work was the chemistry of the actors and actresses. I'm not certain a big-budget Hollywood reproduction could create the same magic because there would be too much pressure to cast pretty people with name recognition in key roles, rather than people who can work into the world.

disgruntledgamer:
What do you think is the most underrated TV series, that deserves more fame?

Personal I have to give it to Archer, overlooked by a lot of people and it's friggin hilarious.

i know a lot of people (including myself) who have fallen in love with archer in the UK, ever since the first 2 seasons came out on Netflix.

Leverage by far. It recently got cancelled too.

And Dirty Sexy Money, that show was great...

Toaster Hunter:
HBOs Rome. I still can't believe that a show as great as that got cancelled after only two seasons. A shame, they had to squeeze twenty plus years of history into a few episodes.

PsychicTaco115:
I don't know many people who watched it, but Rome was great

Sex, politics and murder during the transition from the Roman Republic to Empire? SWEET!

Rome was tremendously popular during its two seasons. However, the expense was outrageous. It was the most expensive show ever made, with the sets and props amongst other things. The show was so immensely popular that all the main characters started to ask for exorbitant contracts that pushed HBO over the edge with cost and they had to cancel it. Unfortunate, but it had nothing due to popularity or it being underrated or unseen.

Fishing with John

A fishing show from 1991. It aired for a season before being cancelled, only 6 episodes or something. Pretty funny stuff. The host was John Lurre, and each episode featured a different celebrity. I think the line up was, Jim Jarmush, Dennis Hopper, Tom Waits, Matt Dilon and William Dafoe. You can probably find it on Youtube.

+1 to both Archer and Rome.

It might just be a UK thing, but more people need to enjoy Burn Notice, Castle and Ugly Americans. Not to mention Community and Spaced (though that has a big UK following).

Flight Of the Conchords
Flashforward.
Both were really great and fun.

The biggest example of this (not with critics) would have to be Arrested Development. Mind you, the popularity has risen with Netflix, but the show is one of the greatest to ever be made. The fact that FOX tried to pull the plug twice, but had to rescind due to the showring of emmys, shows you how underappreciated the show truly was.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
Northern Exposure.

Utterly amazing show. It started out as a daytime sitcom, started bringing in elements of drama, then leapt off the deep end and became a full-on exploration of existentialism. It was one of the most literate shows of its day, quoting everything from Nietzche, to Whitman, to Jung. It was bizarrely surreal, containing dream sequences, fantasy episodes, and moments of outright fourth wall breaking. And it still remains probably the most uplifting, life affirming show you will ever see. Think Twin Peaks, but on happy medication as opposed to anti-depressants.

I used to confuse the two when I was a kid. I'd see a commercial on TV for what I thought was Northern Exposure, but then some creepy deer's head flashed on screen and I realized it was Twin Peaks.

Casual Shinji:

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
Northern Exposure.

I used to confuse the two when I was a kid. I'd see a commercial on TV for what I thought was Northern Exposure, but then some creepy deer's head flashed on screen and I realized it was Twin Peaks.

Hahahahaha! The same thing happened to me when I was little. That's how I started watching Twin Peaks on the reg. At first, I would try to catch Northern Exposure but realise I was watching Twin Peaks, which I feel is in the top five of most underrated shows of all time. All the kids out there should go run and watch this show. Now!

PeePantz:
The biggest example of this (not with critics) would have to be Arrested Development. Mind you, the popularity has risen with Netflix, but the show is one of the greatest to ever be made. The fact that FOX tried to pull the plug twice, but had to rescind due to the showring of emmys, shows you how underappreciated the show truly was.

Just finished the third season and I can't believe how hilarious it is. You really have to stick with it to get all the jokes, though.

I always liked Wonderfalls myself. Sure, the show was a bit corny, but I really dig Caroline Dhavernas. Plus Jewel Staite was in it for a while.

Friday Night Lights by far, if a show with five seasons and a couple Emmys can be underrated

PeePantz:

Casual Shinji:

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
Northern Exposure.

Hahahahaha! The same thing happened to me when I was little. That's how I started watching Twin Peaks on the reg. At first, I would try to catch Northern Exposure but realise I was watching Twin Peaks, which I feel is in the top five of most underrated shows of all time. All the kids out there should go run and watch this show. Now!

It's kind of both a classic yet underrated.

Back in the day Twin Peaks was huge, but the moment the "big reveal" happened a lot of people tuned out. And honestly the show kinda went down hill from then on.

It still took a disgracefully long time for the series to appear on DVD.

OT: Here's a shout out to two great MTV shows from when MTV was still good.

Might be a weird example, but I think Disney's Zorro is starting to fall under this.

Not because of any lack of popularity, mind, because it was a huge success when it came out in the 1950's. But because I think it's fading from people's memory, as I don't think many people talk about it anymore.

Which I find to be a shame, because I think it's one of best Zorro adaptations out there. the fencing choreography is great, the characters are alot of fun, and it's got alot of good story arcs that have been brilliantly written.

I'd go as far to say audiences today could still enjoy this movie it was re-aired on the Disney Channel again (preferably not at 2 a.m in the morning).

I know I enjoyed it when I watched both seasons on Youtube, and I bet if any of you give it a chance, you'd enjoy it too.

RustlessPotato:
Just finished the third season and I can't believe how hilarious it is. You really have to stick with it to get all the jokes, though.

And that is exactly why it failed. Everything was a running joke. It's kind of shocking how many people do NOT watch every episode of a TV series, but rather watch an episode here or there. That's why bland, repetitive, "seen one episode you've seen them all" shows like House or CSI get huge numbers, but complex story driven shows like The Wire that force you to keep track of dozens and dozens of characters and elaborate plot lines struggle along with small audiences. Someone tuning in halfway through a season of Arrested Development MIGHT understand 25% of the jokes. If they're lucky.

As for underrated shows...I honestly don't know. Most of the shows I like were at least critically acclaimed, if not also popular.

Hmm. You know, VEEP is a pretty funny show that I don't hear much about. Let's go with VEEP.

Captcha: spoilers

No, not really captcha. Calm down.

Isn't this more a thread for series that don't get the amount of attention that they deserve, yet are still highly rated amongst their fans?

I don't think anyone has mentioned Jericho or Survivors. Two really good quality series about what might happen in apocalyptic scenarios, focusing on the aftermath and the human relationships rather than the big scary monsters that most shows would.

Katatori-kun:

I think Babylon 5 is terribly underrated. It wasn't so underrated when it was on TV, though the show's look was far less polished than it's competitor Deep Space Nine, and this maybe led to it having a smaller following despite DS9 having far inferior writing. In fact, B5 should be credited with popularizing the modern trend of making sci-fi tv programs out of connected arcs where stories evolve from episode to episode, rather than how things were done in earlier shows like Star Trek: TNG where largely each episode was unconnected to the ones that come before or after aside from incidental references. But B5's special effects budget makes the show look increasingly dated, and J. Michael Straczynski's glacial pacing in the first season no doubt also puts people off. But it's this pacing that is the show's greatest strength, because it fools us into thinking that the show is going to be an unconnected episodic "fluffy" sci-fi show so on a first time viewing one doesn't notice all the little tendrils of the overall story arc creeping into everything, and then when the show gets rolling in seasons 2-4 it's hard to comprehend how you missed just how tight the show really was. It's like watching a dropped vase shatter on the floor in reverse- all these little disparate, unrecognizeabe pieces suddenly coalesce into a unified whole. It's only in the end of the 4th season and the beginning of the 5th season, when the show's pacing got all screwed up because JMS had to cram all the key plot points into the 4th season because he was unsure if the show would get renewed for a 5th that this recipe begins to unravel. And unfortunately I think at that point JMS started to get a bit of an ego, and subsequent works in the franchise like the spinoffs and the Crusade just haven't been as up to quality. So it's too bad that so many people don't like his magnum opus because they can't get past the bad CGI or an episode where nothing blows up in the first 5 minutes. I would almost say that this make B5 a rare show that remaking could potentially improve it- the only problem is that I believe that the real magic that made the show work was the chemistry of the actors and actresses. I'm not certain a big-budget Hollywood reproduction could create the same magic because there would be too much pressure to cast pretty people with name recognition in key roles, rather than people who can work into the world.

Yeah, I was going to say B5 as well.

I think it's underrated because kids don't know what sci-fi is any more. I've heard them complain that B5 is too campy, not realistic enough with bad acting. Which are all probably true, but these complaints aren't really valid for sci-fi. They aren't important. It's the themes, the exploration of life in the future with all its possibilities and rewards and dangers. So a show like Battlestar Galactica is glorified and praised for having intense battles with people dying all the time and 'realistic' characters, whatever that means.

This little gem! I have no idea why it didn't last very long, it was f**king hilarious!

Sorry couldn't help myself.

I agree with the OP with regards to Archer I also find Harvey Birdman: Attorney at law and Venture Bros. very entertaining and in my experience, not many people have heard of those two programmes. I also wouldn't call this next one underrated as such, but I do find Columbo very enjoyable since I got given the complete box set for my birthday.

EDIT: Also Twin peaks. I have the gold edition and love it. While it is true that later in the second season was quite weak in comparison to seasons 1 and the beginning of season two it is still fun to watch. I just wish the last episodes weren't so rushed.

Not sure if it's the "most" underrated but Complete Savages was a great series which got pulled after 1 season unfortunately.

BloatedGuppy:

RustlessPotato:

And that is exactly why it failed. Everything was a running joke. It's kind of shocking how many people do NOT watch every episode of a TV series, but rather watch an episode here or there. That's why bland, repetitive, "seen one episode you've seen them all" shows like House or CSI get huge numbers, but complex story driven shows like The Wire that force you to keep track of dozens and dozens of characters and elaborate plot lines struggle along with small audiences. Someone tuning in halfway through a season of Arrested Development MIGHT understand 25% of the jokes. If they're lucky.

As for underrated shows...I honestly don't know. Most of the shows I like were at least critically acclaimed, if not also popular.

Hmm. You know, VEEP is a pretty funny show that I don't hear much about. Let's go with VEEP.

Captcha: spoilers

No, not really captcha. Calm down.

I guess you are right. I never watch series on tv anymore. When I watch a series, I marathon through it. The Wire is probably my all time favorite series and got me confused the first season, but it is in my opinion the best written series out there. Anyone should watch it !

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked