Guy seeks to prove how safe guns are, kills himself by mistake

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

http://www2.tbo.com/news/pinellas-news/2013/jan/10/st-pete-man-18-dies-after-accidentally-shooting-se-ar-603022/

I know this isn't something that one should make fun of, but I will anyways:

What are your thoughts on this guy's claim that this proves guns are safer?

This is irony right? I'm pretty sure that's irony.

He broke a vital rule which any person with a firearm should know by heart:"
Always consider any weapon as charged."
The fact some people who obviously disregard one (or more) of the 4 basic rules can get firearms is worrying to say the least.

Firearms are safe as long as you follow the rules about handling them:

generals3:
He broke a vital rule which any person with a firearm should know by heart:

Always consider any weapon as charged. The fact some people who obviously disregard one (or more) of the 4 basic rules can get firearms is worrying to say the least.

QFT

Rule #1: Always assume that the weapon you are handling is loaded. This is the very first thing that you are told whenever you do anything with a gun (I've never taken the classes for I do not own a firearm myself but this is always Rule #1 on courses/ranges).

:D

It's funny because he decided to disregard even the most rudimentary tenets of gun safety, and he died.

I have no sympathy for him.

Even as someone who has never owned or fired a gun, basic common sense dictates you don't point a gun at your head, because it's dumb as shit.

Wow, this was unexpected!

Heart goes out to grieving family and such, but this was a pretty ironic way to go!

I also hope this doesn't devolve into a flame-war between gun supporters and people who want guns banned...

generals3:
He broke a vital rule which any person with a firearm should know by heart:"
Always consider any weapon as charged."
The fact some people who obviously disregard one (or more) of the 4 basic rules can get firearms is worrying to say the least.

Indeed, another one being "Never, ever point your gun at something you're not 100% certain you actually want to fire at".

*sigh* It's exasperating, really. All it takes to be fit to use a firearm is a little responsibility.

Let me guess he's American.

Anyone who puts a gun to their head and doesn't remove all the bullets for certain first is either suicidal or a fucking idiot.
Pretty easy to see which column this guy fits into.

Hahaha, what a fucking idiot. I know it's meant to be tragic and all, but it's hard to have sympathy for such utter stupidity.

TizzytheTormentor:

I also hope this doesn't devolve into a flame-war between gun supporters and people who want guns banned...

Don't worry, it will. In fact, we already have a snarky comment about "lolAmerica". -_-

OT: Well, he sure showed them.

And now that the prerequisite joke response is out of the way, what a shame. I'm assuming the kid got the thing for self-defense, with the addition of the line that his father was shot and killed half a year ago, and then he goes and throws logic out the window when he tries proving he can be careful with a firearm.

Oh man those facebook comments are harsh!

This was not an accident. This is a glaring case of negligence and sheer stupidity. You cant fix stupid.

Actually, you can fix stupid. This guy did.

Still a stupid move on the victims part, why can't they just aim into the sky or better yet check if it's loaded before aiming at their head of all things!

hazabaza1:
Anyone who puts a gun to their head and doesn't remove all the bullets for certain first is either suicidal or a fucking idiot.

Even putting a gun to your head with no bullets is retarded, because there is no reason to do this.

And that is Florida folks. I should know, I have lived in Tampa for more than a decade, and this entire cesspool of state is breeding ground for ignorance and stupidity. Out of all the states in America, I guarantee Florida is one of those states, high up on the list of "States with a high population of idiots".

It is tragic, but damn if he doesn't have himself to blame for his own death. As a comment on facebook so adequately put, "Darwin shoots! And he scores"!

You don't respect safety rules, don't expect to be safe. Anything that fires projectiles is potentially dangerous and certainly shouldn't be pointed at your head.

In News Quiz[1] of 12th Jan 2013:

Fred MacAulie:
Maybe there should be an amendment to the second amendment: all Americans will have the right to bear arms... but not all Americans will have the right to bear children...

Well, thank god the guy's dead eh?! I kinda get the feeling that he'd never hear the end of it from... well, everyone, if he'd survived. -_-

[1] satirical BBC R4 show for those who don't know...

In all seriousness, I do feel sympathetic towards the friends of this person, as that must be hard on them. However, I have no sympathies toward the victim himself, as it was an idiotic move on his part. Though, I also heard that he had been having troubling times at the point, and some people suspect suicide, in which case I do pity him a little, but if it was simply idiocy on his part, then I have no fucks to give for this man.

fapper plain:
:D

It's funny because he decided to disregard even the most rudimentary tenets of gun safety, and he died.

It's also scary, because he could just as easily decided to prove the gun was safe by pointing it at someone else. This could easily be a story about negligent homicide rather than suicide.

I have no sympathy for him.

I have sympathy for his family. That's got to have been a pretty horrific sight to see.

Even as someone who has never owned or fired a gun, basic common sense dictates you don't point a gun at your head, because it's dumb as shit.

Yeah, I know the rule too, despite never once owning, firing, or even holding a gun.

The sad thing is, in the present climate in the US you can't trust a gun owner not to be "dumb as shit", as you put it. People are so reflexively paranoid about any form of gun regulation that there's no way to keep dangerous weapons that could easily kill numerous helpless bystanders out of the hands of idiots who shouldn't be trusted with a rubber mallet and ping pong balls. But unfortunately we can't have a conversation about how to keep guns out of the hands of idiots because every time we try someone derails the discussion with a strawman argument about how Hitler took away all the guns and so anyone who wants to ban all guns is like Hitler, or some rubbish like that.

I'm very looking forward to being out of this country and away from our completely dysfunctional national dialogue.

taking natural selection into your own hands sounds good to me but i feel sorry for the people who knew him

Gun safety rules number 1: Never point at gun at anything that don't want to destroy (also applies to archery).

Darwin Award over here!

This story made me instantly think of this . . .

(from Alan Wake)

Wait, let me get this straight.

Shaw told them that he kept one round out of the firing chamber to prevent an accidental shooting, according to police.

Out of a revolver?

So he did the opposite of Russian Roulette?

I was actually gonna feel bad for this guy. I still do for the family, but jeez.

I can't fathom why you'd hold a gun to your head with 5 bullets still in it. O-o

It remind me of the death of Steve Irwin when he was trying to prove that Stringray can be friendly. However the difference was that Stringray was the cause of his death while it was his own stupidity for his cause of death (but both did took the risk).

I've never held or used a real gun though I think the advice I was given as an apprentice on proper tool usage is quite fitting here. No matter how familiar you are with the tools you are using, always treat them with caution and respect because even in the hands of an experience person these tools can cause harm to yourself or others if they are used carelessly.

Of course my sympathies are with the guys family in this unfortunate circumstances.

"Always assume a gun is ready to fire."

"Don't even POINT a gun a something you do not wish to shoot."

"Keep your finger off the trigger unless you actually intend for a bullet to come out."

"Do not accidentally shoot yourself in an attempt to prove a point."

C'mon, I've only handled a gun maybe 3 times in my lifetime (all for sport, needless to say), and even I can remember the rules. Although my heart does go out to his family. What a terrible thing to witness.

SanAndreasSmoke:
"Always assume a gun is ready to fire."

"Don't even POINT a gun a something you do not wish to shoot."

"Keep your finger off the trigger unless you actually intend for a bullet to come out."

"Do not accidentally shoot yourself in an attempt to prove a point."

C'mon, I've only handled a gun maybe 3 times in my lifetime (all for sport, needless to say), and even I can remember the rules. Although my heart does go out to his family. What a terrible thing to witness.

Actually you are almost right:

"Always consider any weapon as charged"

"Don't LET the barrel of your gun point at anything you do not want to hit" (the let is important as sometimes it is possible you unintentionally let your gun point at something or someone you shouldn't hit)

"Keep your fingers of the trigger until your weapon is aimed at your target" (okok it's almost the same)

And: "Always be sure of your target and its environment"

Well, that's terrible. Clearly the safety programs and training required to acquire firearms are going well. Oh, those aren't required?

That might be part of the problem.

Witnesses then said Shaw tried to prove the gun was safe by placing it to his head and pulling the trigger

That has to be one of the silliest things i've read in a while.

That is a Jeremy Beadle moment.

How much do you wanna bet that somehow Mass Effect will get the blame for this?

How about Borderlands?

Baron von Blitztank:
How much do you wanna bet that somehow Mass Effect will get the blame for this?

How about Borderlands?

Hell, I do that all the time. Blame me! (I have been known to do it with a cap gun once or twice. That startles people)

Or we could blame Tim McIlrath

Look at him there. He's just telling you to point it at your head!

hazabaza1:

No.

Anyone who points their gun to there head, even if they DO unload it, is a @#$^ing idiot.

You NEVER point a gun at ANYTHING you don't want to have a big hole through it. You ALWAYS treat a gun as loaded. Even if you just unloaded it. There might still be a bullet in the chamber, ready to fire. Even if there isn't, it is a good habit to be anal about safety around guns.

I own one, I know.

Guns are safe, as long as you treat them as deadly objects.

sky14kemea:
Wait, let me get this straight.

Shaw told them that he kept one round out of the firing chamber to prevent an accidental shooting, according to police.

What?

He didn't even bother to unload the ENTIRE gun? He just unloaded ONE bullets?

No amount of confused/are you kidding me memes, Picard facepalms, or head desks can possibly described the sheer IDIOCY of that.

man, that is horrible for the family. Cant say i will shed a single tear for the victim, but at least he wont be able to reproduce now.

Firearms aren't safe- that's the whole point. They're meant to kill people and animals. I think this story isn't about firearms or guns safety, though. This is a story about evolution.

I propose a toast, to Evolution. As merciless as she is just.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here