Guy seeks to prove how safe guns are, kills himself by mistake

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

If you read the comments in the article, some of his friends are trying to defend the guy. I feel bad for them, losing a friend like that then having to read about people saying "lol headshot" the internet certainly isn't a place to grieve. Personally I prefer the video where the cop shoots himself in the leg, that way I can appreciate the irony of a trained professional demonstrating gun safety and not feel to bad about it.

Well this certainly does nothing to prove the safety of guns but it doesn't really make a case for the dangers of guns either, more the dangers of stupid people. This guy could easily have achieved the same result by applying the same careless and stupid attitude to many household tools. Its like placing your face against a stove and hitting the ignition because you thought the gas was turned off, or holding a circular saw against your neck and pulling the trigger because it was turned off at the power. It sounds cold but this is natural selection in action.

Katatori-kun:
I'm very looking forward to being out of this country and away from our completely dysfunctional national dialogue.

You know what once happened outside of your country?

Hitler.

Yeah. I'll let that sink in for a bit.

...Here's your sign. Seriously, I'm biting my tongue and trying to avoid any obvious comments. My condolences to the family.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Katatori-kun:
I'm very looking forward to being out of this country and away from our completely dysfunctional national dialogue.

Hitler.

Yeah BUT George Bush happened inside the country.

Consider that.

disgruntledgamer:
Let me guess he's American.

You know, I love it when people take the death of somebody who was probably loved by their friends and family, and turn it into a funny little gag on how wonderfully stupid us silly Americans are with guns. Isn't lowering the value of a human life just so fun?

OT: Please people, just try to make sure this never happens if you come in contact with firearms. Never point a gun at anything you are not willing to have a bullet in.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Katatori-kun:

Hitler.

And...Godwin's Law.

Sorry, but you made it too easy, Smash.

Dangit2019:

disgruntledgamer:

You know, I love it when people take the death of somebody who was probably loved by their friends and family, and turn it into a funny little gag on how wonderfully stupid us silly Americans are with guns. Isn't lowering the value of a human life just so fun?

It's a laugh riot.

Dangit2019:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Katatori-kun:

Hitler.

And...Godwin's Law.

Did the joke really fly miles over your head or are you just that eager to scream about Godwins law everytime someone mentions Hitler?

I think we can all agree that he was a moron.

Dangit2019:

disgruntledgamer:

OT: Please people, just try to make sure this never happens if you come in contact with firearms. Never point a gun at anything you are not willing to have a bullet in.

havent you heard? being a bigot about americans is what the cool little kids are doing these days.

I just...don't see why he did that.
He could have just as easily demonstrated his point by putting six rounds into the revolver and setting it on a table.
That would be six people in a room that could have their brains blown out, but it wouldn't happen because it would require a person to pull the trigger and aim. Thus, one would conclude that guns are truly the most dangerous when there's a person behind the trigger.

Case in point would be this incident, I guess.

(Also, lol at the judgmental people)

disgruntledgamer:

Only us Americans can produce this level of irony, we also like to talk about shit we don't understand, if this man isn't American I will be surprised.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Dangit2019:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Hitler.

And...Godwin's Law.

Did the joke really fly miles over your head or are you just that eager to scream about Godwins law everytime someone mentions Hitler?

Umm...I fell victim to Poe's Law?

I'll just be in the corner with mah Dunce cap on...

1. Always assume the weapon is loaded
2. Keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire
3. Never point a gun at something unless you want it dead

There's a 4th rule? As far as I remember these were the only 3 covered in my concealed carry class.

I'm sorry, but this guy is an idiot.

And the whole point of a gun is that it isn't safe. They aren't toys, they're weapons. This would be pretty much the same if someone was trying to say "Knives are completely safe!" and than slitting his throat with one to prove it.

That guy is possibly the biggest fucking moron in the entire world. Who does that?

thejackyl:
1. Always assume the weapon is loaded
2. Keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire
3. Never point a gun at something unless you want it dead

There's a 4th rule? As far as I remember these were the only 3 covered in my concealed carry class.

I'm sorry, but this guy is an idiot.

And the whole point of a gun is that it isn't safe. They aren't toys, they're weapons. This would be pretty much the same if someone was trying to say "Knives are completely safe!" and than slitting his throat with one to prove it.

4. Be sure of your target and what lies beyond.

Oh wow... A gun nut tries to prove how safe something that is designed to kill is and he ends up killing himself...

Definite contender for the darwin award right here! If you don't want to shred the second amendment (Which should be done anyway, but that's beside the point!) then AT LEAST make it mandatory that anyone who wants to own a firearm of any sort score 100% on a firearm safety test every 6 months in order to keep said firearm

disgruntledgamer:

Yep.

Hell, the Russians know that you never play "Russian Roulette" by yourself.

I feel sorry for the dead idiot's family, but he is an idiot.

Correction: He was an idiot. And he's dead now because he was.

I feel sorry for the guy's family, but I have a hard time feeling sorry for the guy. Just about the only good thing about this is that he pointed the gun at himself and not another person.

NightmareExpress:
I just...don't see why he did that.
He could have just as easily demonstrated his point by putting six rounds into the revolver and setting it on a table.
That would be six people in a room that could have their brains blown out, but it wouldn't happen because it would require a person to pull the trigger and aim. Thus, one would conclude that guns are truly the most dangerous when there's a person behind the trigger.

I know someone who took a gun safety course where the instructor did that.

He was trying to prove the point that guns are safe, but based on the outcome im assuming it was opposite day.

I'm reminded of a Whose Line video...

(at 3:17)

Condolences to the family.

disgruntledgamer:

Well so are you, unless Canada decided to join Europe.

It's worth noting this comment, apparantly from someone who knew him:

he watched his mother die 7 days before his father of cancer and then due to a home invasion his father was killed in front of him

May not have been an accident.

This proves nothing either way about the safety of gun ownership.

It does prove however, that this guy was an idiot.

Shock and Awe:

I guess I do remember that. Than again, I'm the one that nearly got kicked out several times for asking the instructor "Do you really need to tell people this?" after he was going over a lot of things.

A wild Former Marine Sniper wants to teach
Andrew uses Snarky Comment
Former Marine Sniper is enraged

Though when we went out to the range he complimented my shooting, which was pretty cool.

Is it wrong that the first thing I thought of after reading was of that bit in Pulp Fiction?

Well a little more "on topic" and a little less insensitive: Well... Um... How tragic? I guess if to prove that guns are safe you shoot yourself in the face your either too brave or mind boggling-ly stupid, either way, it's sad he died...

Wait, maybe he making an "ironic" statement?

Well, that was stupid. Was that stupid? Yes, that was stupid.

Was that stupid Patrick Stewart?

Yes, that was indeed a stupid move.

I feel sorry for the family. I bet that's not something they want etched into their minds.

There's got to be a translation error or something right? I mean leaving out one bullet from a revolver hardly qualifies as a safety measure to prevent accidental discharge right? right!? I mean nobody is this stupid, this has to be a joke or something. I mean what the shit seriously.

No facepalm will ever be enough to describe the stupidity that just occurred. Either he had a death wish, or he greatly overestimated his skill with handling a gun, forget about the loaded part.

doggie015:
Oh wow... A gun nut tries to prove how safe something that is designed to kill is and he ends up killing himself...

Definite contender for the darwin award right here! If you don't want to shred the second amendment (Which should be done anyway, but that's beside the point!) then AT LEAST make it mandatory that anyone who wants to own a firearm of any sort score 100% on a firearm safety test every 6 months in order to keep said firearm

Gun Nut?, really?. i sense a shitstorm a' brewin

Baron von Blitztank:
SNIP

OK, I should have bought Borderlands.

On topic: My father is an experienced hunter, and his personal variation of Gun Rule #1 was, literally, "Never point a gun at your head and pull the trigger. Even if you know it's not loaded." Yeah. He illustrated this by telling me about one of his experiences in the army, where one of his fellow soldiers was seconds away from demonstrating gun safety in the exact manner described in the article. (The man was persuaded, at the last moment, to aim the weapon at the barrack's ceiling lamp instead - destroying a rather brighter bulb.)

bananafishtoday:
It's worth noting this comment, apparantly from someone who knew him:

he watched his mother die 7 days before his father of cancer and then due to a home invasion his father was killed in front of him

May not have been an accident.

This is what I came here to post. If thats true, then my money is all on it being intentional. Certainly changes the mood of the story.

DrunkenMonkey:
There's got to be a translation error or something right? I mean leaving out one bullet from a revolver hardly qualifies as a safety measure to prevent accidental discharge right? right!? I mean nobody is this stupid, this has to be a joke or something. I mean what the shit seriously.

No facepalm will ever be enough to describe the stupidity that just occurred. Either he had a death wish, or he greatly overestimated his skill with handling a gun, forget about the loaded part.

Actually, leaving one chamber empty is a standard rule of revolver safety. The trick is to keep track of WHICH chamber.

busterkeatonrules:

DrunkenMonkey:

Actually, leaving one chamber empty is a standard rule of revolver safety. The trick is to keep track of WHICH chamber.

Huh never knew that, guess you learn something new everyday. Maybe he forgot that as soon as you pull the trigger the barrel cycles to the next round.

There's no such thing as a safe gun. There's only people who know how to handle guns and the people who don't.

He should get a Darwin award.
But seriously, treating a gun like a toy, I don't know if he deserved that, but he definitely earned it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here