Guy seeks to prove how safe guns are, kills himself by mistake

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Guns are never safe. But it is possible to be safe with guns, and to actually enjoy using them in a completely safe manner.

This guy did the exact opposite of that. My condolences to his family, and here's hoping that people learn from this sad situation.

Guy seeks to be an irresponsible, dangerous idiot, and gets a sick dose of irony.

First rule of firearms: ALWAYS assume your gun is loaded.

Second rule of firearms: NEVER point it at anything that you don't mind being destroyed. No exceptions.

Third rule of firearms: ALWAYS check to see that your gun's chamber is cleared every single time you pick up or receive it, even if the person that hands it to you cleared it just moments ago.

My father drilled this into me from a young age, and I intend on drilling it into my sons/daughters as well. Every gun safety course goes over these extensively, and every responsible gun owner is anal about this as well. Your average gun owner is far more safe and knowledgeable with/about firearms than your average citizen, but then you have assholes like this showing exceptions to every rule.

(Edit: The second/third/etc rules can be exchanged or modified, but the first rule is nearly always the same. Another extremely important rule is to ALWAYS keep your finger off of the trigger until you're ready to fire)

I don't have a huge amount of sympathy for the guy but I'm pretty disturbed at the amount of people who are acting as though it's a super funny joke and he deserved it. I wonder how many of those people complained about people making callous comments in the Connecticut shooting threads.

A young man made a stupid mistake and he died for it. Hilarious.

I don't know what's more tragic- the fact that his friends and family had to watch something so horrifying, or the fact that half the people in this thread have absolutely no idea how natural selection works.

Dangit2019:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Dangit2019:

And...Godwin's Law.

Sorry, but you made it too easy, Smash.

Did the joke really fly miles over your head or are you just that eager to scream about Godwins law everytime someone mentions Hitler?

Umm...I fell victim to Poe's Law?

I'll just be in the corner with mah Dunce cap on...

Since you addressed me by name, I assume you've seen a few of my posts?

By now you should know half the shit I post here isn't meant to be taken seriously. Whenever I browse the Escapist I have my tongue sticking so far in my cheek you can see it peeking through the other side.

DrunkenMonkey:
Huh never knew that, guess you learn something new everyday. Maybe he forgot that as soon as you pull the trigger the barrel cycles to the next round.

There is a possibility for some revolvers (modern designs shouldn't have the problem, but better safe than sorry) to discharge when dropped if something hits the hammer (causing the firing pin to strike the primer [Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's the gist of it]).

I'm willing to bet he was somewhat new to firearms ownership/use. It sounds like he bought a revolver after his father died in the previous year during a burglary and was trying to justify his purchase to concerned friends/family. Anyone with firearms experience knows not to point one at anything you wouldn't want destroyed. I think it's a better explanation than simply forgetting that a revolver spins the cylinder to the next round as the hammer is pulled back. Of course he might have just been suicidal ...

(I know I shouldn't underestimate human stupidity. -Pistol pointed at head- "Of course it's unloaded. I dropped the clip!"

This sounds like the exact opposite of how to prove guns are safe.

Guns are not unsafe nor safe, they are just a tool. Guns do not go off by themselves, as this guy has clearly shown, he took his own life, the gun only helped.

Well, another Darwin Award goes to someone who really deserved it.

Shame he did it in-front of his uncle, grandparents and some friends though.

sky14kemea:
Wait, let me get this straight.

Shaw told them that he kept one round out of the firing chamber to prevent an accidental shooting, according to police.

Out of a revolver?

So he did the opposite of Russian Roulette?

I was actually gonna feel bad for this guy. I still do for the family, but jeez.

I can't fathom why you'd hold a gun to your head with 5 bullets still in it. O-o

I don't think it actually stated whether it was a Revolver or not. Even if it was a semi-auto, I'm pretty sure their chambers are spring loaded, meaning if there's a missing bullet, the spring in the chamber simply pushes the next one up into line. It might just be a case of the poor bastich not doing his research and thinking it worked like a revolver and that he'd have to pull the trigger twice to actually fire.

Not 100% sure on this as I honestly know very little about guns. Never liked guns so I've never willingly handled one in my life. I'd never point one at a living creature let alone myself, even if I was 100% sure it was unloaded and the safety was on. Fuck that for a joke.

manic_depressive13:
I don't have a huge amount of sympathy for the guy but I'm pretty disturbed at the amount of people who are acting as though it's a super funny joke and he deserved it. I wonder how many of those people complained about people making callous comments in the Connecticut shooting threads.

You're not seriously trying to compare the cold-blooded murder of 27 people with an idiot possibly accidentally killing himself, are you?

You know why this story is (darkly) funny? Because every time talk comes up of how guns need to be regulated, gun fans jump in to rail about how safe they are and how it's those people who don't come from their gun-friendly subculture who are unsafe. It's like driving, everyone swears up and down that they're an excellent driver- it's just everyone else on the road that's a moron. I've not once in my life heard anyone say, "Yeah, I own a gun and I'm not very safe with it because I'm inexperienced and have no training but WalMart sold it to me anyway..." To hear every gun owner I've ever heard speak, one would think they're a pilates class away from being invited to join Seal Team 6.

And this incident reveals that lie for what it is. You are only safe with a gun until your first accident. And then someone (maybe you, maybe a loved one) could very well end up dead.

He was bad with firearms, and judging on how bad probably drunk.

It is very easy to safely handle a firearm.

Loonyyy:

Baron von Blitztank:
How much do you wanna bet that somehow Mass Effect will get the blame for this?

How about Borderlands?

Hell, I do that all the time. Blame me! (I have been known to do it with a cap gun once or twice. That startles people)

Or we could blame

Look at him there. He's just telling you to point it at your head!

Or we could blame Kim from Scott Pilgrim.

Also according to google the internet does not have an image of the graphic novel version of Kim doing this.

OT: Well in a sense he did prove the gun was safe, it was the bullet that killed him after all.
Wah-wah-wah-wwwwwwwaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh.

But seriously that was an extremely stupid thing to do and it was his own fault that it happened.

It's tragic, but it looks and sounds like that was the first (and last) firearm Mr. Shaw owned.

It's yet another case of not just poor trigger discipline, but a clear-cut case worthy of a Darwin Award.

He not only put his trigger finger on the trigger, he actually held the gun up to his head and pulled the trigger.

He was obviously not aware of how a revolver works, and didn't care to actually witness the cylinder turn those few little clicks that make a difference when he put his seemingly well prepared plan into action - or carefully watch what actually happens when you pull the trigger. He just assumed that what he did what safe; turns out he was wrong.

If there is a lesson to be learned, it's this: Just don't frickin' be stupid and always practice proper trigger discipline; do not point your gun at anything or anyone you don't want killed/destroyed. It's really simple.

Oh, and if you do opt to go for a revolver, which is a splendid weapon, please consider making yourself acquainted before you give in to whatever urge you may have to show off your knowledge and skills to your friends and loved ones. Alexander Xavier Shaw could be remembered as just some random stupid guy, were it not for the tragic fact that he seems to have gotten the gun in response to his father having been murdered in a home invasion half a year ago.

If you find this funny, you need help.

Genocidicles:
This is irony right? I'm pretty sure that's irony.

Very much so.

OT: Unfortunate but I can't really say I feel all that bad for him.

"Shaw told them that he kept one round out of the firing chamber to prevent an accidental shooting, according to police."

That's just fucking stupid...I feel for the family, but the guy...jesus christ, some people almost seem to deserve to die for being so goddamn thick.

tippy2k2:
Firearms are safe as long as you follow the rules about handling them:

generals3:
He broke a vital rule which any person with a firearm should know by heart:

Always consider any weapon as charged. The fact some people who obviously disregard one (or more) of the 4 basic rules can get firearms is worrying to say the least.

QFT

Rule #1: Always assume that the weapon you are handling is loaded. This is the very first thing that you are told whenever you do anything with a gun (I've never taken the classes for I do not own a firearm myself but this is always Rule #1 on courses/ranges).

firearms aren't safe.
firearms are for shooting people.

/thread

sky14kemea:
Wait, let me get this straight.

Shaw told them that he kept one round out of the firing chamber to prevent an accidental shooting, according to police.

Out of a revolver?

So he did the opposite of Russian Roulette?

I was actually gonna feel bad for this guy. I still do for the family, but jeez.

I can't fathom why you'd hold a gun to your head with 5 bullets still in it. O-o

Aye, see, if you're handling a, say, shotgun, you can load it up with a sequence that makes sense to you and the intended purpose. Say, for a home defense situation, you can line up the shots like this: Rubber Ball, Beanie Bag, Birdshot, Buckshot, Slug. The rubber ball 'just hurts' (but can already take out an eye if handled poorly), the beanie bag hurts more, the birdshot will leave marks, the buck shot will leave holes and is potentially lethal and the slug is bound to put and end to everything should it really have to go that far. Now, to achieve this sequence, you have to put the last shell in first, as the shell you put in last will be the first one to actually chamber and get shot.

Easy, no?

With a revolver, you have a cylinder into which you can put a set amount of cartridges (usually any number from 6 to 8). Thing is, when you click the cylinder back into place, chances are the mechanism will rotate to the next chamber, which might have been the mistake Mr. Shaw made. But, alas, even if he did take that into account, he did not think about the fact that the revolver most probably cycled to the next round when cocking the gun, which could conveniently have happened as he did nothing more than just pull the trigger. Either way, he made at least one lethal miscalculation, quite probably two. If he wanted to kill himself, I would like to call him names for traumatizing his family and friends, but since the jury is still out on this one, I shall just shut up now.

Katatori-kun:
You're not seriously trying to compare the cold-blooded murder of 27 people with an idiot possibly accidentally killing himself, are you?

You know why this story is (darkly) funny? Because every time talk comes up of how guns need to be regulated, gun fans jump in to rail about how safe they are and how it's those people who don't come from their gun-friendly subculture who are unsafe. It's like driving, everyone swears up and down that they're an excellent driver- it's just everyone else on the road that's a moron. I've not once in my life heard anyone say, "Yeah, I own a gun and I'm not very safe with it because I'm inexperienced and have no training but WalMart sold it to me anyway..." To hear every gun owner I've ever heard speak, one would think they're a pilates class away from being invited to join Seal Team 6.

And this incident reveals that lie for what it is. You are only safe with a gun until your first accident. And then someone (maybe you, maybe a loved one) could very well end up dead.

Firstly, this story doesn't prove anything. The gun nuts will just dismiss it by saying that he was an idiot, he didn't follow basic gun safety, that this is not a typical case and that the average person knows better. There are a million arguments against gun ownership but cases like these aren't very strong. As you said, it's just like driving. Sure, people occasionally get themselves killed but many would argue that having cars is necessary, and we only need to teach and enforce proper safety procedures. Read through this thread. Do you get the impression that even half of the posters ridiculing this kid got anything like what you said out of the news story? Most of them just find it funny that someone thoughtless enough to point a gun at their own head died.

Secondly, yes, I would say that an unfortunate death is an unfortunate death. I don't think it's okay to gleefully revel in the idea that a young man died just because he did something stupid. People do incredibly stupid things all the time. It doesn't mean they deserve to die. As far as you know this kid was a decent guy who may have contributed to society in some way if not for that stupid lapse in judgement. Perhaps if he had fired the gun and the cartridge had been empty as he expected, in a year's time he would be genuinely horrified that he had once thought pointing a gun at his own head was a good idea. Saying that someone that young deserved to die because of a single bad judgement is just arrogant and sad.

Hardcore_gamer:
http://www2.tbo.com/news/pinellas-news/2013/jan/10/st-pete-man-18-dies-after-accidentally-shooting-se-ar-603022/

I know this isn't something that one should make fun of, but I will anyways:

What are your thoughts on this guy's claim that this proves guns are safer?

And the police bought that story....

Hey just though id come out of lurking to say i agree with manic_depressive13 and some of the other posters. Doing something incredibly stupid doesn't make you the inbreed scum of earth nor does it give people justification to virtually dance on your grave.

Greets!

This is kind of like falling on your own sword, or crushing your own throat, or serving your next meal out of the heart you ripped out of your own chest. Whether we like it or not, people will have ideas about control and security. When your chosen sense of security is a firearm and you think you have control over it, something bad will happen given the first opportunity.

I hope those he was attempting to teach about firearms got his message, he certainly will not be able to teach them the same lesson. He'll be too busy being dead.

This is so perfect, a man tries to prove guns safety and kill himself.

I mean even the phrase gun safety is a little bit of an oxymoron, a thing designed to kill (be it a clay pigeon or a human) with safety, which is the total opposite.

Doesn't it say something? The illusion of safety, like wearing a seat belt in a plane or a helmet while cutting trees down. Just cos you're being safe with a gun doesn't mean you're safe being around a gun.

well he did just that, proved the "safety" of guns.

Does it make me a bad person that I find this at least a litte humorous?
Eh, just a little.
Anyway.
As someone who has never owned or fired a gun, I'm going to take a wild leap and assume that pointing one at your head is a REALLY UNWISE move to make.

Do you people even skim the posts above yours before you post your own? This crap with natural selection and darwin awards is getting pretty old. And it's dumb anyway. We would all be geniuses by now if that's how it really worked.

If a cop can't handle a gun safely, why take the chance yourself?

How idiotic can you be, I mean I know a lot of people discharging a magazine fed pistol wrongly, but a revolver, that takes a certain level of stupid.

Genocidicles:

This is the purest of irony.

Anyways, I can't laugh at it, but for Heavens' sake, that was a stupid move.

omega 616:
Doesn't it say something? The illusion of safety, like wearing a seat belt in a plane or a helmet while cutting trees down. Just cos you're being safe with a gun doesn't mean you're safe being around a gun.

But plane seatbelts are very effective safety measurements (heavy turbulence can kill if you're not strapped down, as well as emergency landings that are successful but abrupt), as are tree-cutting helmets (ever had a stray branch smash you across the head? It's not fun).

And if your gun isn't faulty, then being safe with a gun does ensure safety being around it... I'm not sure what you're trying to get at...

I smell a Darwin Award...

This is actually a good little parable about gun safety; guns are most unsafe when people believe them to be completely safe, which works vice versa; guns can be safe, as long as they are treated as deadly weapons.
I guess it's about responsibility; when I got my pistol, my father made certain that I knew what and what not to do with it before ever even loading it.

omega 616:

I mean even the phrase gun safety is a little bit of an oxymoron, a thing designed to kill (be it a clay pigeon or a human) with safety, which is the total opposite.

You've got it backwards. This man was not, in any way, shape, or form, being safe with his gun, and *therefore* ended up not being safe around said gun.

Genocidicles:

As the story goes, yes.

deathzero021:
well he did just that, proved the "safety" of guns.

Members of the gun culture (or "gun nuts, herp a derp" if you prefer) have always said there is no mechanical safety or shortcut which can replace responsible behavior. There are cardinal rules (already stated in this very thread) which must be followed. Breaking these rules can (and often does) lead to tragic results.

The only thing this man proved is the danger of human stupidity.

I know this technically isn't suicide but it definitely is stupicide, right?

chadachada123:

omega 616:

You've got it backwards. This man was not, in any way, shape, or form, being safe with his gun, and *therefore* ended up not being safe around said gun.

There is something to be said about the illusions people have and how while they may think they are being safe, like this guy seemingly did, they can in fact NOT be safe at all.

Basically, this society is too dumb to handle it's gun availability safely for the most part.

chadachada123:

omega 616:

Guns are unsafe by default.

Any object that has the potential to cause massive harm if used by an inexperienced person is unsafe by default. So, well, I suppose there aren't many "safe by default" things out there, but there is stuff that's a lot less unsafe than a firearm.

Note: I've not said a word on my stance about firearm ownership and legislation here. If you want to get back to me on that, you'll find me in all the other threads about the subject...more or less.

I have every sympathy for the guy's family, but by the same token, anyone who is stupid enough to put a gun to their own head, and pull the trigger, deserves everything they get for it. Especially if they know the gun has bullets in it.

captcha: gift horse

is that offensive? I'm not sure, it sounds like it should be offensive

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked