Guy seeks to prove how safe guns are, kills himself by mistake

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Wow, you sure showed us.

Frankster:
Eugh at Darwin and Natural selection quips :/

Well went ahead and read the actual news article, with his familiy and friends commenting and getting into "pleasant chats" with strangers telling them how retarded and stupid their son is and how he deserved it for being stupid, feel doubly bad now.

Whats worst is the kid had recently been a victim of double tragedy, seeing one of his parents killed in front of him then having the other die of cancer... Then this happens. And people on the net just go "lol darwinism" and laugh whilst feeling slightly superior about their own existence. Meh i think il get off the internet for now.

Wow, you sure showed us. I totally feel horrible. I mean, after a personal tragedy, accidentally killing yourself trying to prove that the item that killed your father is totally safe is totally normal and not at all ironic.

It's mind-boggling how many people have responded by saying stuff like "ha, he broke the first rule of gun safety" and "anyone who owns a firearm knows the basic rules", "all it takes is a bit of responsibility." What is wrong with you people??
The moment you hold a firearm you automatically learn the rules, you automatically learn what responsibility is? Wow, I didn't know that. When I held a gun for the first time the rules didn't fucking magically appear in my head, my father EXPLAINED the rules to me for a 10 long minutes before he even let me touch the gun.

You don't need to know anything about a gun to own one, all you need to know is that it has the power to take your life or the lives of others.

Oh, and if you use it to kill others in USA you will be eternally glorified by the media and put on a pedestal.

Every gun owner is constantly on about how star-spangled awesome they are at using their guns in a responsible manner until...

Yup Darwin was right...maybe we need more guns...

Katatori-kun:
But unfortunately we can't have a conversation about how to keep guns out of the hands of idiots because every time we try someone derails the discussion with a strawman argument about how Hitler took away all the guns and so anyone who wants to ban all guns is like Hitler, or some rubbish like that.

I'm very looking forward to being out of this country and away from our completely dysfunctional national dialogue.

The important distinction is that no one ever makes the conversation about keeping guns out of the hands of "idiots", they make it about restricting or removing the ability to obtain them at all for citizens for whom there is no good reason to do so -- that is, they define "idiots" as "anyone who wishes to own a firearm."

You'll note that even the NRA is all for better mental health screening before weapon sales, better/more training in the use and handling of weapons, and things of that nature, but that is essentially never what the other side is talking about.

Note the talk of "assault weapons" bans or "military-style assault weapons" bans. What people think those phrases mean and how they actually get defined are totally different, and the definitions that get used for "assault weapons" are at best nonsense.

Schadrach:

Katatori-kun:
But unfortunately we can't have a conversation about how to keep guns out of the hands of idiots because every time we try someone derails the discussion with a strawman argument about how Hitler took away all the guns and so anyone who wants to ban all guns is like Hitler, or some rubbish like that.

I'm very looking forward to being out of this country and away from our completely dysfunctional national dialogue.

The important distinction is that no one ever makes the conversation about keeping guns out of the hands of "idiots", they make it about restricting or removing the ability to obtain them at all for citizens for whom there is no good reason to do so -- that is, they define "idiots" as "anyone who wishes to own a firearm."

Quite simply this is incorrect. We've had numerous attempts at a discussion of requiring gun liscenses, which would directly keep guns out of the hands of idiots while allowing ordinary people to have them. One of those attempts was even by a pro-gun poster who had had a long career of using guns professionally. Guess what: It got derailed by a "You just wanna take our gunz!" strawman.

You'll note that even the NRA is all for ... better/more training in the use and handling of weapons,

Evidence that they have aggressively lobbied for Congress to mandate this in the last 5 years, please.

Wadders:
This proves nothing either way about the safety of gun ownership.

It does prove however, that this guy was an idiot.

It proves that there was one gun owner who probably shouldn't have owned a gun, this isn't the first time somebody has done this and won't be the last, at least he used his own head.

"Never point your gun at anything you do not intend to shoot." - Quote from National Shooting Sports Foundation's and the National Rifle Association's Number 1 Rule of gun safety.

*Sigh* This is why we can't have nice things. People just don't follow the rules.

Dense_Electric:

HellbirdIV:

tippy2k2:
Firearms are safe as long as you follow the rules about handling them

See, that's the thing. They aren't.

The "rules about handling them" are, rather, "instructions on how to temporarily prevent an extremely deadly weapon from causing massive injuries and/or death". Note the "temporarily" because guns are meant to cause massive injuries and/or death when handled properly.

You know most civilian-owned guns in the United States are purchased with the intention of target shooting, right? Are you claiming that paper targets and clay pigeons are living things?

Firstly you can shoot paper targets with non-lethal weapons such as Bb-Guns. Which, incidentally, can also be dangerous if mishandled, because they're still weapons. Owning a gun to shoot paper targets is like using dynamite to go fishing.

Secondly, I'd like you to prove your claim that most American gun owners buy them for shooting non-living targets, because that sounds like NRA propaganda to me. Especially given that estimates in studies suggest that around 30-40% are bought illegally, leaving only 60-70% of the population to share between people who "want to protect their families" (given the number of accidental deaths involving guns, I find this absurd), Game Hunters and Target Practicers.

Thirdly your rebuttal was a straw-man argument. It only shows how weak your position is.

NiPah:

disgruntledgamer:
Let me guess he's American.

Well so are you, unless Canada decided to join Europe.

...What?

OT: I doubt the families have any room for grief. They're probably angry as fuck. I know if one of my friends did this I'd be pissed off that his dumb ass bought a gun.

Thankfully I never have to worry about that because I'm British. Lalalala.

Schadrach:
You'll note that even the NRA is all for better mental health screening before weapon sales, better/more training in the use and handling of weapons, and things of that nature, but that is essentially never what the other side is talking about.

The NRA has spent years making it more difficult for the ATF to enforce existing gun laws.

This includes lobbying to make it so that the ATF can only check if people are following existing laws once per year, encouraging senators and congressmen to block the appointment of a full-time director of the ATF such that there hasn't been anyone in the position for the last ten years, made it illegal to track any gun sales at any gun shows, such that anyone with a criminal record or history of mental illness can buy guns easily, and have consistently and unremittingly advocating for cutting its funding further every year.

AlexWinter:

NiPah:

disgruntledgamer:

Well so are you, unless Canada decided to join Europe.

...What?

Guy from Canada ironically posts "let me guess, he's American" forgetting that while Canada is it's own country it is still part of the American continent thus inadvertently (or intentionally for all I know) insulting himself. My joke was to point this out, since it's clearly impossible Canada has left America and joined the European continent the last snippet was to drive this point home.

disgruntledgamer:

Wow harsh no he was Russian.

Not gonna lie, I laughed when I saw this thread. Stupid people should be able to own guns. Now if only there was some sort of test for that...

Honestly I'm not surprised this doesn't happen more often. I sure as heck know that if you started giving people guns in the UK there would be a lot more shootings, intentional or otherwise. It's just the effect of putting a large amount of dangerous things into society. It's tragic that this particular man died.

Katatori-kun:

fapper plain:
:D

It's funny because he decided to disregard even the most rudimentary tenets of gun safety, and he died.

It's also scary, because he could just as easily decided to prove the gun was safe by pointing it at someone else. This could easily be a story about negligent homicide rather than suicide.

My dad told me that there was this one guy in the army who, instead of going through the proper steps to prove his gun was disarmed, put the gun up to someone's head and said, "It's empty see?" then killed the person because it wasn't.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked